( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)lıllılıllılılıllı({Official ARMS Thread})ıllılılıllılıllıl( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Doubleposting. I'm not getting it midnight, I want a physical copy which I have preorderd at Best Buy. Definite day one especially after seeing the ending to the tournament at yesterday's Nintendo stream.
so fucking good.
Started off slow with some very low-skilled attempts at playing the game (partially manufactured by not letting the FGC play the game beforehand).
But then you have Zerk, who obviously played the game beforehand, knowing exactly what Twintelle's strengths were and snubbing tired amateur tactics. The other semi-finalist, Sky, also showed some interesting growth, learning the game as he went through his set of matches.
Grand Finals were very good as well, where you can see some counterpicking and answers back and forth. Real smart stuff.

But holy shit the post-tournament Exhibition Match against the producer Yabuki. A clear powergap from the knowledgable champ in Zerk to the producer-god Yabuki. That was very interesting to see, definitely cemented to me that there was an ample amount of skill to rise to.
Wow, that was some next-level gameplay by Yabuki!

BobSilencieux

But holy shit the post-tournament Exhibition Match against the producer Yabuki. A clear powergap from the knowledgable champ in Zerk to the producer-god Yabuki. That was very interesting to see, definitely cemented to me that there was an ample amount of skill to rise to.
Yeah I stayed up past 1am watching that live, and that's exactly what I thought too. Suddenly Twintelle was doing some crazy advanced tricks and combos that I hadn't seen Zerk pull off in the tournament proper... thought he'd been learning quickly through the grand finals... then I realised that Yabuki was Twintelle.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I did the training tutorials; beat the cheating-ass, input-reading, son of a bitch computer; and was able to start playing ranked matches. While the computer was frustrating, ranked matches were amazing fun so far, and I can't wait to play a whole lot more.

Some things I've found so far:

- Blocking is good, especially if you pay attention to which arm the enemy used so you can take advantage of that gap by throwing your own punch through there. For example, if you block an opponent's left arm, you can immediately attack him with your right arm and have a good chance of hitting him. It's also useful to use your left arm but curved to the right side, especially if it's a boomerang or something like that.

- However, you have to be careful not to get thrown. It's very hard to react to a throw in time with a punch on reaction if you're not already expecting it, so you have to keep them in mind. When deflecting throws with a punch, using the arm that is closer to the opponent makes this easier. If they're standing in front of you and moving towards your right side, for example, be ready to use the right arm to deflect the throw, as your left arm is more likely going to miss the thrown arms.

- When you block and immediately dash forwards or backwards, you will perform what's called a dash counter. The game tells you this. But what it doesn't tell you, is that for the duration of that dash counter, you will continue blocking. For example, if an enemy throws two punches in quick succession straight at you, if you block the first and dash-counter forward, you'll also block the other punch, leaving your opponent open for a punish. However, because dash-countering has the same properties of a regular block, it means that your arms can be disabled the same way that they would if you block too many attacks while standing.

- An important part of the game is understanding what properties your arms have. That doesn't only mean the trajectory and speed of the attack (such as straight and medium speed for the standard gloves), but also their attribute (fire, wind, etc.). This attribute is only activated with a charged attack, and they can give you a noticeable advantage. For example, a charged wind weapon will send opponents flying toward trampolines, where they can be hit again for a little extra damage. Once you find a character with arms that you like, you should figure out what those arms' attributes are when charged so you can incorporate that into your strategy.

Anyway, right now I'm pretty sure I'm going to main Min Min. Once I discovered that charging with the dash for an extended period of time makes her left arm maintain constant charge (until knocked down), I fell in love with her. It's so satisfying to land a knockdown on an opponent with a quick charged boomerang, turn my left dragon arm into a dragon, and use my charged laser to zone the opponent out and build easy Rush gauge. I love that Min Min's skill lets me easily use any arm to its full potential, so I can start experimenting with other arms and playstyles as well.

sjmartin79

I officially love Arms.
And I don't even mind when I lose.
It's just so much fun. And I get all keyed up like I did playing turf wars on Splatoon.

My next goal is to unlock different arms. Because I can already see other players that have done that and have some amazingly powerful stuff.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I've managed to rank up to level 8 so far. Progressing feels good now that the game has somewhat clicked for me. I now have a better idea of how to counter an opponent's strategy when it's wrecking me.

I think the thing that changed the most about how I approach the game is to not think of the blocking move as the best option for dealing with incoming enemy attacks. The truth is that it just leaves you very open to throws, and it doesn't even give you much time to punish regardless of your distance to your opponent. Instead, I'm having better luck throwing my own punches to cancel out the opponent's as a sort of block-projectile. This works great because it also covers the case in which the enemy tries to throw me; it also gives me a easy path for approaching the opponent and sending out another punch through that gap, or making a guess for the opponent's action and try to dodge or jump through it and hit them with my own thing.

I'm trying to stick with the regular Toasters for now to make sure that this kind of play is solid, but I do keep my Dragon nearby. I just love zoning with those lasers.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Picked up ARMS while I'm out here in Georgia and it's a blast so far. I can't play online due to the DSL connection so I guess I'm just going to tear up these cpu players before I get to y'all. Still maining Ninjara but Barq & Byte are pretty fun too!

BobSilencieux

DL'd the game last night and played for half an hour or so. Got absolutley DESTROYED over and over and over again by mid-level CPU. So I've got a long way to go before I have ANY IDEA whatsoever how to actually play this game. My main concerns right now are twofold:
  1. I can't hit my opponent.
  2. I can't avoid getting hit by my opponent.
Sounds simple when you put it like that, huh.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
DL'd the game last night and played for half an hour or so. Got absolutley DESTROYED over and over and over again by mid-level CPU. So I've got a long way to go before I have ANY IDEA whatsoever how to actually play this game. My main concerns right now are twofold:
Sounds simple when you put it like that, huh.
Nice to see you grasp the general concept so quickly:msilly:

Byte and Barq has my number.
His arms do, at least. Only 2 matches of Ranked I lost were to this character. A mix of the dumb doggo and the Seekie. Gotta figure that combo out.

BobSilencieux

I'm so bad at this game, holy shit. After a couple more hours play today I still have absolutely no clue how the hell you actually play this game. The Mechanica fight in the training (2nd-last training fight) has been making me rage.
I just don't understand this game at all. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, Mechanica just effortlessly avoids all of my attacks, and nothing I do can stop me from getting hit repeatedly, I just don't get it. Real human opponents are slightly easier to play against, but I'm still being soundly beaten by most people online. It's like the anti-Splatoon.

One thing I do know for definite though, is that the 2V2 mode where you're tethered to your partner is pure f*cking garbage. Seriously.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm so bad at this game, holy shit. After a couple more hours play today I still have absolutely no clue how the hell you actually play this game. The Mechanica fight in the training (2nd-last training fight) has been making me rage.
I just don't understand this game at all. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, Mechanica just effortlessly avoids all of my attacks, and nothing I do can stop me from getting hit repeatedly, I just don't get it. Real human opponents are slightly easier to play against, but I'm still being soundly beaten by most people online. It's like the anti-Splatoon.

One thing I do know for definite though, is that the 2V2 mode where you're tethered to your partner is pure f*cking garbage. Seriously.
IM LOVIN THESE POST:mlaugh:

(I suck also so I feel ya SirBob)

simplyTravis

Master Mummy just isn't my jam. I want to like him though. I think his style leans more towards controller players because it makes sense to be stationary. I'm really enjoying the more mobile faire since motion controls allow you to punch on the go. I managed to sneak in a match online with this bunk arse connection so I might be around late (11pm ish eastern.)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Master Mummy just isn't my jam. I want to like him though. I think his style leans more towards controller players because it makes sense to be stationary. I'm really enjoying the more mobile faire since motion controls allow you to punch on the go. I managed to sneak in a match online with this bunk arse connection so I might be around late (11pm ish eastern.)
I wanna love the mummy aswell he's just not that dude tho

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@BobSilencieux
When someone jumps, they are stuck on the ground right after landing. While that recovery time is too short to time a punish after blocking, what you can do is jump yourself while they're still in the air, so that you'll be throwing a punch from the air straight at them while they land. Because of the landing recovery time, even if they manage to block or dodge at the last second, your own jump should remain safe. Generally, you don't want to be the first to jump against an opponent that knows how to punish it and is aware enough to do it.

Beyond that, you have to work on your ability to block incoming punches with your own punches; using dashes and small hops to dodge incoming punches; and knowing when to throw a second punch right after the first one, such as to take advantage of the gap left by the blocked incoming punch, or when you realize you have to block a second incoming punch.

One last big thing to keep in mind is that Mechanica's passive helps her avoid flinching from normal punches. Normally an opponent's attacks are interrupted when they are hit, so as long as you find a way to hit them before they hit you, you will be safe. This is not the case with Mechanica, and her punches will hit you even after you hit her. But, you can beat this with charged punches, as they always effect their attribute (in the case of the training scenario, the Toasters have Fire attribute that inflicts knockdown, interrupting incoming attacks and giving you more time to charge or reposition). Besides charging your punches by holding block, holding dash, or landing from a jump, your character should have some unique ways of charging their punches that you can find in the Help Menu. For example, Min Min charges her punches after any backdash, and when holding dash to charge, her left arm turns into a dragon and retains charge until she gets knocked down.

I was able to use these concepts to beat that training scenario as well as a level 5 Mechanica multiple times. Just keep bashing your head against the game. In my experience, the night is saltiest just before the dawn.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I managed to beat Grand Prix in the highest difficulty. While every enemy feels unfair due to their inhuman reflexes, Hedlok is a whole other level of horseshit. I can hardly believe the devs thought it would make for a fun fight to make an enemy that not only has 6 arms (4 would have already been op) and does higher damage with each punch than any other character, but also has a parry, can charge all his arms for an extended period of time on a whim, has a rush that does upwards of 450 damage, can stunlock you with his 6 explosive arms until your guard breaks, can turn his arms faster than you can dodge away from them, and will sometimes even send a combination of punches and throws in the same volley. The only reason I was able to beat him is that his AI doesn't know how to deal with the Dragon laser right after getting up from the ground.

Anyway, I only did that because I thought I needed to do it to unlock colors, but I don't think that's true. I did figure out how to change colors, though:

When selecting a character, while click the left stick, push it to the left, down, or right and select your character to use one of three alternate colors.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I managed to beat Grand Prix in the highest difficulty. While every enemy feels unfair due to their inhuman reflexes, Hedlok is a whole other level of horseshit. I can hardly believe the devs thought it would make for a fun fight to make an enemy that not only has 6 arms (4 would have already been op) and does higher damage with each punch than any other character, but also has a parry, can charge all his arms for an extended period of time on a whim, has a rush that does upwards of 450 damage, can stunlock you with his 6 explosive arms until your guard breaks, can turn his arms faster than you can dodge away from them, and will sometimes even send a combination of punches and throws in the same volley. The only reason I was able to beat him is that his AI doesn't know how to deal with the Dragon laser right after getting up from the ground.

Anyway, I only did that because I thought I needed to do it to unlock colors, but I don't think that's true. I did figure out how to change colors, though:

When selecting a character, while click the left stick, push it to the left, down, or right and select your character to use one of three alternate colors.
Well..............I'm not fighting Jueg

sjmartin79

Good job! I'm impressed. Very.

I do plan to finish Levels 5, 6, and 7 on Grand Prix.
But I also want to get in more online matches and unlock more arms.

BTW, who did you use to beat Grand Prix?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I got play a bit more last night before bed. Despite the jumping and specials and the depth of a conventional fighter lurking beneath the surface, the game started to make more sense when boiled down to the box art - a boxing game (you just have to think of thrown punches as feints). But it is still an odd duck. I really hate not being able to reassign block (enough to make me give motion controls another try); I felt like I was playing rock/paper/scissors without the scissors.

When it clicks and you have a close match, though, it's super rewarding. I dunno how rewarding it'll be long-term, though, because this doesn't feel like the Splatoon of fighters to me. I could play Splatoon and be decent on day one (even though I suck with sticks). Day-one ARMS was very different. Difficulty-wise, more like my first day of Monster Hunter, just without the menus.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

I got play a bit more last night before bed. Despite the jumping and specials and the depth of a conventional fighter lurking beneath the surface, the game started to make more sense when boiled down to the box art - a boxing game (you just have to think of thrown punches as feints). But it is still an odd duck. I really hate not being able to reassign block (enough to make me give motion controls another try); I felt like I was playing rock/paper/scissors without the scissors.

When it clicks and you have a close match, though, it's super rewarding. I dunno how rewarding it'll be long-term, though, because this doesn't feel like the Splatoon of fighters to me. I could play Splatoon and be decent on day one (even though I suck with sticks). Day-one ARMS was very different. More like my first day of Monster Hunter, just without the menus.
I can honestly say "It gets better".
Besides getting comfortable with controls, it truly is finding the right fighter for you. That's when things will truly start to click.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

When it clicks and you have a close match, though, it's super rewarding. I dunno how rewarding it'll be long-term, though, because this doesn't feel like the Splatoon of fighters to me. I could play Splatoon and be decent on day one (even though I suck with sticks). Day-one ARMS was very different. More like my first day of Monster Hunter, just without the menus.
It was nice to play last night for me because I still don't know anything. Figuring out the buttons and jumping, punching and whatnot. It was a blast last night!

Had some matches with some scubs plebs noobs people at IGN.
Cut out the vs. Hedlok stuff and other minigames.
btw, the player who took that last round (and the first one with me) was a dude from 4chan, so I'm not too bummed about that.

Shame that friend lobbies are restricted to 1-round fights too, c'mon Nintendo.

sjmartin79

Decided to try the Ranked Mode, and thanks to 1 guy, I got to rank 2.
He just kept agreeing to new match after new match. And I kept winning.

He spent most of his time guarding. And I would get in a small punch. Then when he would drop the guard to try to attack, I would pummel him. Was pretty gratifying.

EvilTw1n

Just beat level-4 Grand Prix.

Ugh. Headlok is truly some next-level bullshit. If the goal they were going for was "poison the well so Mike never wants to play this mode again," then they succeeded with flying fucking colors. I can take losing to a CPU that's trained with fair patterns. But Headlok was the most garbage boss I've played since Dracula in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. Eventually I just cheesed out. Constantly dodging and throwing from long range. Won a round, saved and quit, came back so I'd have one victory, at least. Like an hour later, I finally thought I broke through. Nope. Double-KO. Half an hour more and I finally got it. And I will probably never bother with the mode again. Which is a shame, because I felt like I was learning and doing a little better throughout level-4 (aside from the stupid plate-breaking mode). But I can only imagine how much worse Headlok would be another level up.

[Helix and Headlok both going from vulnerable-to-throw/flurry into "I'm blocking everything" in the blink of an eye can also jump into a bile-river.]
I just don't understand this game at all. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, Mechanica just effortlessly avoids all of my attacks, and nothing I do can stop me from getting hit repeatedly, I just don't get it.
I wish I had advice to dispense. It seems like it's mainly a positional game; if you're at the correct distance, your punches will connect. A little too far in, a little too far out, you're screwed. But honestly, half the time I lost, I'd come back in the next round with very similar tactics and do fine, merely because there's some weird auto-aiming with the punches. Sometimes it works with you, sometimes it doesn't seem to connect no matter how close the punch looks to landing.
Real human opponents are slightly easier to play against, but I'm still being soundly beaten by most people online. It's like the anti-Splatoon.
Yeah, this, unfortunately. I bought this game thinking it would be Nintendo doing their magic here for fighters like they did with Splatoon for shooters. And in that respect, I don't think they've succeeded. At all.

It's not that ARMS isn't good. I can tell there's a good fighting game here. But I didn't buy it to follow the same "eSports for my ePeen"-formula of all of the other fighters I don't bother playing. I bought it with the thinking of "I can scrub up enough to get by, just like Splatoon." That doesn't seem to be the case. And that's a real bummer.
I can honestly say "It gets better".
Besides getting comfortable with controls, it truly is finding the right fighter for you. That's when things will truly start to click.
I've tried Min-Min, Twintelle, Ninjara, and Spring Man (mainly because I hate being a slow tank). Nothing worth writing home about yet. I can pretty much tell that my reason for playing this game will be to socialize with friends on here, not because I'm in love with this style. I'm just not a fighting-game gamer.

sjmartin79

Today was a good day for Arms play. I beat the 5th Grand Prix difficulty, got up to Rank 4, and played a lot of party matches.

Love this game! For me, it is like the Splatoon of fighting. Win or lose, I have fun. And there is definitely a learning curve and skill involved.

EvilTw1n

@BobSilencieux - Alright, I got it. Think of ARMS as kinda like Virtua Fighter crossed with Punch Out. I can hear it already: "Mike, you're nuts - Virtua Fighter was side-on!" Yes, but the plane would slightly shift (check around 2:50), even if the camera wouldn't. Which is kinda like ARMS, except that an over-the-shoulder 3D game camera gives you more input for spatial reasoning between dodging left or right. But as you're always locked onto your opponent, it doesn't give you the movement freedom of other typical 3D games, either.

Then just substitute Punch Out puzzle solving instead of the combination-centric ethos of other fighters. ARMS is about reaction and pattern recognition. Hell, Headlok is pretty much a neo-Tyson/Mr. Dream, in this respect (you pretty much have to think at least three moves ahead of him).

Go online and try a few rounds by not even trying to attack. Only counter-attack.

sjmartin79

Steve2 gets a kick out of me playing Party Mode when I comment after the matches. Like "Eff you, Mikowski! That's what you get for trying to gang up on me." Or "Perfect! That's right, bitch!"

I also like to pretend that when someone leaves the lobby after I beat them badly that I scared them away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not good, but I'm having a blast.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well after playing with ET tonight for some good practice I really do like the game.

And I got me a main I believe. I'm goin with the Kid Cobra, he felt really nice to use.

sjmartin79

I'm glad I got to get in a few games with you guys. We got back after 10, but I wanted to play a few games before bed.

Was fun. And I gotta give props to everyone.

And thank you @simplyTravis - when we had the 1v1v1 match and we both ganged up on the other person, then fought it out. That was great!

simplyTravis

I'm glad I got to get in a few games with you guys. We got back after 10, but I wanted to play a few games before bed.

Was fun. And I gotta give props to everyone.

And thank you @simplyTravis - when we had the 1v1v1 match and we both ganged up on the other person, then fought it out. That was great!
TNE Bros (and Ladies) before ...well...anybody else. It's the code.

It was awesome games tonight. I think everyone involved got there fair share of wreaking me........well done guys you beat the piss outta me. :mthumb:
Lol, you started out slow but man you were killin' it after a while.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
After playing with everyone last night tho for the first time. It's safe to say for myself that I really really like this game. It's perfect for some nice hard hitting action for an hour or so. It would be difficult for me to play hours on end tho because it's just to much all the time.

EvilTw1n

After playing with everyone last night tho for the first time. It's safe to say for myself that I really really like this game. It's perfect for some nice hard hitting action for an hour or so. It would be difficult for me to play hours on end tho because it's just to much all the time.
@Goodtwin - I know you were wondering about the game; Matt's thoughts echo my own. This game is a joy-sapping salt machine offline, but as an online party game, it's pretty damn fun*. Haven't had that many TNE folks in one game for awhile.

[Except when @Juegos catches you in a corner and you get schooled.]

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@Goodtwin - I know you were wondering about the game; Matt's thoughts echo my own. This game is a joy-sapping salt machine offline, but as an online party game, it's pretty damn fun*. Haven't had that many TNE folks in one game for awhile.

[Except when @Juegos catches you in a corner and you get schooled.]
Yep for sure on all of this.

Splat2oon is comin out soon tho, and I see ARMS having staying power here at TNE because of the different fun it provides.

It's really interesting and different and I think that will be it's main appeal all in all here. Unlike MK8D which while it's the best MK of all time (IMO) it's still just Mario Kart where your main goal isn't to win but make those around you lose with random weapons.

ARMS will get travelled back to because you could see / do / experience something different with each match.