∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ » » » Mario Kart 8 Deluxe \ō͡≡o˞̶

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I have it pre-ordered. I'm excited for the new battle modes and a proper battle mode in general.
I should finish BotW this weekend, just in time to start Karting.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The game feels really good. Graphically, it's what we remember but just slightly better. I can't tell if the sound quality is any better, but it always sounded gorgeous anyway. In terms of controls, they added a couple of new features: a purple boost (when you drift past red boost), and the ability to make very sharp turns when drifting and pressing the brakes, which is important in 200cc. And apparently, the Boo item is another counter to the blue shell. I don't know how likely you are to get it if you're in first place, though.

I also tried Battle Mode, it's very nice. The best part is that you can play Battle Mode with randoms online and up to 12 players at the same time. The maps feel bigger than they were in previous Mario Kart games (though I didn't play MK7), but they accommodate 12 players nicely.

I don't remember this: was there an online ranked ladder in the Wii U version? There is here for both Grand Prix and Battle online, but I don't know how much it affects the matchmaking yet. I just know that I saw a dude that was already at 1700 points (you start at 1000 and gain or lose at most 12 per match, I think). (Edit: I'm wrong about how many points you earn per match, it's more than that. I just won 22 points for a first place, but I don't know if it's always the same amount.)

Last edited:

Aki

The game feels really good. Graphically, it's what we remember but just slightly better. I can't tell if the sound quality is any better, but it always sounded gorgeous anyway. In terms of controls, they added a couple of new features: a purple boost (when you drift past red boost), and the ability to make very sharp turns when drifting and pressing the brakes, which is important in 200cc. And apparently, the Boo item is another counter to the blue shell. I don't know how likely you are to get it if you're in first place, though.

I also tried Battle Mode, it's very nice. The best part is that you can play Battle Mode with randoms online and up to 12 players at the same time. The maps feel bigger than they were in previous Mario Kart games (though I didn't play MK7), but they accommodate 12 players nicely.

I don't remember this: was there an online ranked ladder in the Wii U version? There is here for both Grand Prix and Battle online, but I don't know how much it affects the matchmaking yet. I just know that I saw a dude that was already at 1700 points (you start at 1000 and gain or lose at most 12 per match, I think). (Edit: I'm wrong about how many points you earn per match, it's more than that. I just won 22 points for a first place, but I don't know if it's always the same amount.)
It's always been the same amount. I played a good amount of MK8 online on Wii U.

Swag for us elite physical customers

Nope. I'll wait for MK9.
I was wondering about this last night.

Do you guys see there being a new MK9 for Switch? I kinda think this is it, if anything they expand on it. Otherwise I feel MK9 would be a late Switch game (I believe much of that team is working on ARMS at the moment)
Do you want there to be an MK9 this Switch?

Goodtwin

Yes, I believe in 3-4 years MK9 will happen on Switch. Nintendo was on the money with MK8 and there was no reason to let a game near perfection go down with the ship. Only 13.5 million people have had access to MK8, with Switch it will be opened up to a ton of new consumers. Battle mode being done right is huge for me. I don't mind double dipping. I think Nintendo is looking well beyond the Wii U gamer, and targeting the consumers they missed. Not saying Switch isn't for Wii U gamers, but realize that we were the minority of people who played the crap out of games like MK8. I expect Smash U will get similar treatment and launch later this year.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Do you guys see there being a new MK9 for Switch? I kinda think this is it, if anything they expand on it. Otherwise I feel MK9 would be a late Switch game (I believe much of that team is working on ARMS at the moment)
Since they announced MK8D, I assumed they'd be adding even more DLC cups now that it's on the Switch. It's a pretty freaking perfect Mario Kart game, there's nothing to gain from making a whole new game right now rather than supporting MK8D periodically with new maps and features.

But I think @Goodtwin is probably close with his timeline of 3-4 years for MK9.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I want to, but I don't know if I'll be able to stay up to the usual time. But it should happen anyway, I imagine @FriedShoes, @simplyTravis, @sjmartin79, and maybe @mattavelle1 already have it.

Between this and Puyo Puyo Tetris, we can finally get busy playing online again.
I wish I could play tonight, but mine didn't ship till 1am last night, so it arrives tomorrow. I plan to get some Amazon credit for the delay in arrival.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Just to [soften my jealousy] I might go and play it for Wii U, which is probably just as well since I never finished the damn game in the first place. :msrs:
Someone edited my post. WHO?!

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you answer my question now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I want to, but I don't know if I'll be able to stay up to the usual time. But it should happen anyway, I imagine @FriedShoes, @simplyTravis, @sjmartin79, and maybe @mattavelle1 already have it.

Between this and Puyo Puyo Tetris, we can finally get busy playing online again.
I picked up the game and hopped online for a bit but only saw one person on. I tried to join their match but it was full. I had to drive 200+ miles today and will again tomorrow so I don't know if I'll be online until the evenings. If y'all go online sound off in the chat to let us know!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I picked up the game and hopped online for a bit but only saw one person on. I tried to join their match but it was full. I had to drive 200+ miles today and will again tomorrow so I don't know if I'll be online until the evenings. If y'all go online sound off in the chat to let us know!
I didn't play last night either, I went to sleep early. But I think tonight's good for me, I'll sound off here and in the chat for sure to see who else wants to play.

I havent tried Battle Mode yet, would like to play that with you peeps.
Did play a good amount of 200cc, still really weird mode to get a grasp on. I managed to eek out one win in a lobby of elite players, however, so I'm proud of that. I gotta unlock all the car parts.
Will gladly join you all tonight if my family doesnt come and surprise me with some weird dinner party which I have a feeling is gonna happen but I'll still pop in.

Goodtwin

Anyone else noticing the rumble? There are now lots of subtle vibrations that are pretty neat. Nothing earth shattering, but makes the rumble on Wii U feel very generic by comparison.

I'm having family over tonight, so depending on how late they stay, I may be up for some TNE online action.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Anyone else noticing the rumble? There are now lots of subtle vibrations that are pretty neat. Nothing earth shattering, but makes the rumble on Wii U feel very generic by comparison.
I haven't paid attention to it for some reason. I did notice the rumble in Puyo Puyo though, it's crazy.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'll try to start playing in 40 minutes. I'll set up a lobby/tourney and see how that works, I don't remember it well.

Goodtwin

I like the idea of tournaments. The Nintendo Life tournament I played in had almost 400 participants. I placed around 30th I believe. I was at 20th when I finished, but some players later bested my total. I would suggest keeping the total number of rounds shorter though. I had to play 48 rounds to complete it, and that took hours. I could suggest half that, and do the tournaments more often. Maybe even two per day on the weekends. Certainly needs to get on the front page to help enrollment. Maybe even consistent TNE vs EGG or IGN.

Odo

Swag for us elite physical customers

I was wondering about this last night.

I'm not a diehard MK fan, so my 30h of MK8 was enough. Yes, I'd like to have an MK9 on Switch. That's the one I'd buy.

Nintendo must believe that MK8 will sell enough for a generation on Switch (they're probably right), in that case they might target MK9 to Switch successor. It'd be a clever move.

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I'm not a diehard MK fan, so my 30h of MK8 was enough. Yes, I'd like to have an MK9 on Switch. That's the one I'd buy.

Nintendo must believe that MK8 will sell enough for a generation on Switch (they're probably right), in that cause they might target MK9 to Switch successor. It'd be a clever move.
Well, it is the fastest selling MK in franchise history, so there's precedent for that.