ミ:コ> Official Splatoon 2 Thread - Booyah!くコ:彡

Goodtwin

What gets me is missing out on the faster load times of the digital version, plus the convenience of always having it ready to go.
I'm all digital with Switch, but online games will always have us waiting on the slowest player to load up. For Splatoon 2, the faster loading times will only come into play single player.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
The time difference for loading is not that significant, honestly. If the game was on disc then I could understand really wanting the digital version. On Switch cartridge you are talking a maximum of an extra 5 seconds but in most cases it is only a few. To me, the act of owning the game physically on the original cartridge is worth the extra wait because I know it will always be around when they take the original game off of servers in the future.

Zelda loading times. May have changed with updates.

Once you throw in a physical disc into the equation the whole idea of going digital only makes more sense. Check out the load time differences compared to the Switch load times vs Wii U physical in this video. This makes me excited that disc formats are slowly going the way of the dodo.

MK8 on Switch is quite a bit faster.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Looks like I'll be joining you fine folk online when Splatoon 2 launches. I'm digging Off the Hook, especially Marina, and all of the new stages, weapons, sub-weapons, and even the single-player campaign look more varied and interesting than what Splatoon 1 had. I just wish Salmon Run wasn't a timed event, that you can choose what ranked mode you wanna play, and for the whole stage selection to be randomized as opposed to the rotation they gave us. It's like the developers can give us the best multiplayer shooter around but make these small fuck-ups so we only end up with one of the best multiplayer shooters

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Looks like I'll be joining you fine folk online when Splatoon 2 launches. I'm digging Off the Hook, especially Marina, and all of the new stages, weapons, sub-weapons, and even the single-player campaign look more varied and interesting than what Splatoon 1 had. I just wish Salmon Run wasn't a timed event, that you can choose what ranked mode you wanna play, and for the whole stage selection to be randomized as opposed to the rotation they gave us. It's like the developers can give us the best multiplayer shooter around but make these small fuck-ups so we only end up with one of the best multiplayer shooters
Awwwwwwww snap Suppah inbound!

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/friends-code-thread-half-ass-edition.4031/

I would have snapped up the rights to a Marina avatar had I not just changed mine. Damn.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Yeah, man. Albeit, I think I've added most of you guys to my Switch Friends List. There was that option to add your Wii U and 3DS friends, no?

I would have snapped up the rights to a Marina avatar had I not just changed mine. Damn.
Heh, you snooze, you lose, Fried. At least you got a sweet D'Arby avatar :cool:

Goodtwin

Also, did you guys notice that the game looks quite a bit better than the Global Testfire? I just saw a comparison showing the bump in resolution to 1080p (and it appears some anti-aliasing thrown in)

View attachment 3417
Splatoon 1 on Wii U

View attachment 3418
Splatoon 2 on Switch
This game went through massive improvements since the test fire. When I played the test fire, the game certainly had better lighting and shadows than the original, but that was about it. When we found out the resolution was still only 720p docked, its was a bit disappointing. We know the Switch can best the Wii U by a decent margin, so seeing such a modest improvement was a bummer. Seeing the game now in action makes me think Splatoon 2 is a contender for the best looking game on Switch. I have always loved the aesthetics for Splatoon, so I am a bit biased, but I really do feel like this game has a ton of polish. Really impressed. Not sure if there is indeed AA, but we can only hope.

Nobody uses hardware MSAA anymore either. Games nowadays temporally reconstruct multiple subsamples to perform supersampling instead. It is both cheaper and better (hides specular aliasing, adds 2x aniso "for free" and enables stochastic techniques).
That is a quote from a developer that post over at Beyond3d. Switch doesn't have a lot of memory bandwidth to spare, so using traditional MSAA is nearly out of the question. Unreal 4 has some really nice temporal AA, and it is the reason Snake Pass has good image quality despite being pretty low res. Perhaps Nintendo has implemented something similar in Splatoon 2, and that would be awesome.

I'm there with you. Kinda strange. I did super fucking good in the pre-release Switch event. Did ok in the first testfire, but the JP Splatfest I was very mediocre in, putting it lightly. EU I've fared a lot better, but I've had 16 or 17 Ice Cream vs Ice Cream matches so all that skill is wasted.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Have to duck out for a quick dinner. Then I'll be back. Quick thoughts:

-Hate the gyro even more here than I did in the original.
-Default camera speed is way too high for me.
-Movement mechanics seems touchier/twitchier. This demo plays faster than the original.
-Muscle memory from the original is strong. I looked down three or four times at my controller expecting to see a map.
-Didn't realize how much I liked the Wii U's stick set up.
-Environments are all more detailed. I'd love to stop and take a look, but then I'd be splatted immediately.
-Rock solid everything. No frame hitches. No hiccups.
-New weapons, new stick set up, new maps, hadn't played Splatoon in weeks...and still laying down 600 or so on the first matches. This gameplay template is solid gold.
-FOOD TRUCK FOR THE WIN.

I picked Team Ice Cream so I could play with friends. But deep down...I'm Team Cake. Because as @repomech reminded me, pancakes are a type of cake. And there's no getting around pancakes.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Freakin bad to the bone once I turned off the gyro AND also @EvilTw1n turned down my camera aswell. IMO it was WAY to fast but now it's all good.

I will have to wait to truely critique it when I have all my own perks and I have truely had time with the new workins of the roller.

While it's still my love, the offense is extremely low........and for good reason. It was seriously nasty in the right hands in S1. Now it's still the most solid Bob Ross option, and the sneaking ohhhhh boy I was still creep N on tha come up and it felt nice often.

BUT when I'm cornered and I had plenty of options for getting out in S1.........now in S2 as a roller atleast for now your pretty sucks with less than great options for getting yourself out.

And I'm not saying that horrible, it's just different. As for spla2oon tho, damn game is funkyier than 100 year old aged cheese. And that's a GREAT THING!

simplyTravis

I'm actually completely fine with the gyro controls and like the twitchiness. I will say I think they feel more sensitive since we are all moving a much smaller controller so there is less wrist movement. There are options in game to turn down the sensitivity though.

The roller felt a lot better for me. I have a tendency to want to jump up and hit people with my roller and felt like the gyro controls helped me aim more precisely in air. I had a much harder time in the Testfire. The addition of a long, skinny row of ink is really great and I was able to close people off from traveling one direction then squish them. The splashdown reminds me a bit of the Kraken where you have this sudden moment of destruction out of nowhere. That was a good choice for the special.

The splat duelies were really fun to use also. I felt like I could get really good coverage and duke it out. They aren't the greatest against rollers but very, very usable. I like the speed you can get with them when dodging also.

The only thing I didn't like was that people obviously chose ice cream over cake. They really should have picked something a little closer. It was still fun!

I want my blaster back, I cant handle actually having to aim at people.

Good times for the strongest team, Team Marina i mean Team Ice Cream.
Fun stuff and rough stuff, I had six matches against the opposing Cakes out of the 4 hours of Splatfest, pretty unreal but seein the popularity vote I guess I shouldnt be surprised. I liked the duelies, I liked the splattershot, I want my Luna Blaster back.

There's a neat thing about the Inkjet btw, dont know if this is new, but you can use it to save your life if youre falling off a ledge into the abyss. Jusy activate it and it'll pop you back onto ground. I had this happen by accident in Moray Towers, fell off the ledge while wearing it and was shot back onto nearby ground (not where I started the inkjet) and it stopped the special as well. It did give me an element of surprise and I got the dudes that were chasing me.

I did also try analig sticks for the first time in years. Awful feeling lol.
I.must buy this, 5 days is too long

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The inkjet is phenomenal. It's not so good at actually killing people the way the Inkzooka was, but the mobility it gives you is insane. Because it propels you high off the ground, you can use it to climb paths you normallly wouldn't be able to climb and surprise enemies that are coming out of spawn, or you can use it in a 1v1 situation to quickly climb over a prop (like the big AC units near the spawns on Moray Towers) and hit an enemy from where he doesn't expect. It can also used as an evasive mechanic, to get away from enemies when they are cornering you, or even as an emergency ammo reload for when you run out of ink while fighting an opponent. Of course, the fact that it hits a wide area makes it good for hitting people that have gone behind cover. I did also encounter that life saving trick that Fried mentioned, very similar situation happened to me.

It's the best of the specials that were available this splatfest, imo.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I thought the splatfest was all weekend long... Missed it... Damn it... What happened to the 24 hours... I usually can't play in the middle of the day

So just moving around the lobby... I really need to be able to remap buttons

I keep opening the map when i try to jump

simplyTravis

I thought the splatfest was all weekend long... Missed it... Damn it... What happened to the 24 hours... I usually can't play in the middle of the day

THIS! I would throw a line of ink up a wall and then go X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X! Crap! *splat*

BobSilencieux

I could NOT stop doing that!

If this Splatfest has done anything for me, it has convinced me not to buy the game after all. I could barely play for 5 minutes without being disconnected, even going so far as to have to restart the Switch at one point. And when I did get to play, EVERY DAMN TIME I encountered anybody (literally every single time), I would get a solid 4 or 5 hits on them without splatting them, and they would splat me with either 1 or less hits on me. And I assume that's just a symptom of my lame internet connection, but I literally can't do anything about that, short of moving house.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Exact same. Moving the jump screwed me up, and lookin down at my map when I died I did that a lot aswell.

I'll say this for myself tho, that's all muscle memory stuff that I'll have to get used to.

EvilTw1n

THIS! I would throw a line of ink up a wall and then go X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X! Crap! *splat*
I was opening the map, too. But they remapped jump for a reason - the analog stick moved.

On the GamePad, the closest button to the right stick was X, so that's where jump was logical.

On the Switch, since the right stick is now below the face buttons, the closest button is B. It's the most logical spot.

It took some getting used to for me, too, but they did it for a reason.
The inkjet is phenomenal. It's not so good at actually killing people the way the Inkzooka was, but the mobility it gives you is insane. Because it propels you high off the ground, you can use it to climb paths you normallly wouldn't be able to climb and surprise enemies that are coming out of spawn, or you can use it in a 1v1 situation to quickly climb over a prop (like the big AC units near the spawns on Moray Towers) and hit an enemy from where he doesn't expect. It can also used as an evasive mechanic, to get away from enemies when they are cornering you, or even as an emergency ammo reload for when you run out of ink while fighting an opponent. Of course, the fact that it hits a wide area makes it good for hitting people that have gone behind cover. I did also encounter that life saving trick that Fried mentioned, very similar situation happened to me.

It's the best of the specials that were available this splatfest, imo.
I flew into a few walls because the thing refused to let me go any higher. I'll need to play with it more, but it didn't give me the mobility I expected, tbh. I'd also prefer a special that doesn't make me a flying target (how the hell were duelies able to shoot that damn high in the air?). Still the best special of this Splatfest, but that was a low bar.

Also...
https://www.destructoid.com/watch-out-splatoon-2-may-punish-excessive-disconnecting-449239.phtml
https://twitter.com/hypwnotic/status/886273207837356032

I get why they'd do this, to stop rage-quitters. But if anyone has a spotty internet connection, or your router/modem isn't playing nice (my Wii U never got along that well with my modem), they could apparently get banned. According to the Twitter handle, that message popped up after a fourth disconnection. Not cool, Nintendo. I've had that many disconnects in a single night.

Last edited:
Cull all the comcast users, only squeaky clean clean CLEAN matches allowed.
I hope you all signed those Net Neutrality petitions.
I dont think its too bad. Disconnects were a very apparent thing in ranked, I assume ragequitters most of the time, and it sucked. If this keeps that lot away, greater good and shit. But if it doesnt and I still get "connection unstable" messages, then it has failed.

Last edited:
Some leaked weapon setups. Nothing new in here, mostly showing off weapons from the previous game. My favorite Luna Blaster has Splat Bombs and a Baller now. And the dreaded Gold Dynamo Roller is... well even more scary.

EvilTw1n

Review embargo on Splatoon 2 lifted today.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/splatoon-2/critic-reviews

...remember when videogame reviews were a thing people cared about?
SPLATNET 2 INFO!

http://splatoon.nintendo.com/splatnet2/

Chat can be used in Private Battles, League Battles, Splatfest Battles, and Salmon Run. Looks like lobby chat is open to everyone in the lobby but will change to teams only during the game automatically.
Or I could...just...use the function on my fancy-electronic-computer-rectangle-machine-thing that broadcasts my voice over vast distances.

I still can't believe this is the voice chat solution Nintendo came up with. I mean, I'm gonna deal with it, but still. Good grief.

Maybe I'll use the app to buy in-game gear. Or maybe Nintendo will wise the eff up and put the mini-games from the original on the phone app and let me play with them there.

...who am I kidding? That'd make way too much sense.

EvilTw1n

I can't believe this shit.

The Online Lounge mode only allows for private games between people present in the lounge. Voice chat will also work in League Battles, Splatfest battles and Salmon Run co-op. Ranked games and basic multiplayer battles are excluded.

http://kotaku.com/the-switchs-phone-enabled-voice-chat-is-as-ridiculous-a-1797058470/amp

Nintendo has created an entirely new problem: making voice chat only for private matches. I already have private chat. It's called a telephone.

No chat for a regular game of Turf War? Who thought this shit up?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I can't believe this shit.

The Online Lounge mode only allows for private games between people present in the lounge. Voice chat will also work in League Battles, Splatfest battles and Salmon Run co-op. Ranked games and basic multiplayer battles are excluded.

http://kotaku.com/the-switchs-phone-enabled-voice-chat-is-as-ridiculous-a-1797058470/amp

Nintendo has created an entirely new problem: making voice chat only for private matches. I already have private chat. It's called a telephone.

No chat for a regular game of Turf War? Who thought this shit up?
To make it worse, if you want to chat with just 2-3 friends, that means you'll be stuck in a 2v2 or 2v1 match in that private lounge. The only way this app could be acceptable in any way is if it works in league battle so that your 2-3 friends can actually join a full lobby while playing together.

I really don't understand whose needs this app serves, currently. I already put up an article telling people to use a fucking telephone, basically.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/07/19/voice-chat-splatoon-2/