ミ:コ> Official Splatoon Thread <コ:彡

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
This is it folks. The best place to talk about Splatoon!

splatoonicon.jpg (Japanese: スプラトゥーン Hepburn: Supuratūn?) is an upcoming third-person shooter video game developed and published by Nintendo for Wii U, which is scheduled for release in Japan on May 28, 2015, and the rest of the world on May 29, 2015. In Splatoon, the player shoots colorful ink at opponents as well as surfaces, which the player character can swim through to hide from enemies, increase movement speed, or climb up walls. In the online multiplayer mode, two teams vie to cover more of the map in their color of ink, while in the single-player campaign, the player infiltrates an enemy octopus army that uses its own arsenal of ink weapons.

With this being one of the most anticipated new Nintendo IP in quite some time there is a lot to talk about. From the new ink based playstyle mechanics to the overall aesthetic of the game the hype has spread all over the internet and left its stamp on the minds of gamers. With the recent Nintendo Direct and Global Testfire emotions are running high and has turned the game into one of the most divisive topics in gaming forums right now. So...

What say you? Did you enjoy the Testfire? What are you looking forward to in this game? Do you hate that Nintendo is making it slowly more full-featured throughout its release? What do you think about the Inklings and their penchant for fashion? This and many more topics are to be had down below.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
I was surprised by how much teamwork the game requires. You can just focus on killing other players or alternatively just painting the map, but unless your team is watching your back with opposite action the enemy team can complete destroy you in the long run (Unless they are just dense)

Mr-Chris

-Smashing!-
I am very impressed by the Testfire, it was so much fun. Controls took a small time to get used to but they work great. The Gyro works fine, I turned them off in the last time though and all was good. The weapons are all fun to use, I think the Roller was my favourite. I can't wait to try out different weapons in each type with the full game and find my favourite loadouts. The game just feels fun to play and all that. Lot's of different tactics to think about too. Yeah, it is unacceptable that there won't be voice chat but the game is just too much fun so it will be mine and I'll be playing it all during the summer and ahead.

I am hyped.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It fucking sucks, kill it with fire.

Nah just kidding, it is fun for what it is. I'll play it as much as I play Mario Kart if I end up getting it, which means only occasionally and when DLC drops. I do hand it to the game that even though it's mostly designed for mindless instant gratification, it still gives the possibility of more skillful, intelligent play (but does not require it). So it's not like COD: BLOPS2, but it is like COD:Ghosts and Battlefield 4 in that sense.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Well, the second time around in the Testfire I really started trying to get better with the other weapon choices. My first love is still the roller but I ended up getting significantly better with the Splattershot and the Chargeshot.

I find it interesting that people are already starting to get somewhat in-depth with how to strategize on this game.

"Use the chargeshot to cut off movement to a team!" "Jump over the roller." "Shoot up then swim forward to move faster."

I think it will be really entertaining once everyone really gets online with this. It really has that easy to pick up but hard to master feel that Smash Bros is so great at.

Now as far as an actual impression goes, I'll post what I wrote in the CT last night:

"The gameplay was very well balanced and you could see little bits of play styles showing up already. Some teams really "clicked" even without the voice chat. As soon as that 1 minute countdown hits you can see rollers really trying to catch all the hidden alleyways for a quick inking.

The Gamepad was an amazing edition to this. I loved that you could look down and really see what was going on. Tapping on a group of guys that were trapped by sniper fire was just something incredible to jump in to the fray with. The little bit of time you can fire in the air really makes you feel like a badass also. Although, firing while landing does nothing against the Killer Wail. Insta-death!

Out of the four weapons I enjoyed the Roller the best. It is like a rolling death machine. It is definitely hard to fight in any vertical fashion with the roller due to its lack of vertical splatter. It more than makes up for the lack of verticality by covering more ground and wreaking havoc on players in the way.

The Splattershot was an excellent gun that spreads well and kills in 3 or so shots. I managed to get the drop on 3 charge shots that were trying to gun me down close range. It felt like a fight in the matrix. Hop over the stream, bam bam bam! Dead. Disappear in the ink, pop up, bam bam bam! Dead. Move to the right, disappear, jump over the stream, 180 degree spin, bam bam bam. Dead. Good stuff.

The Jr. was a great Uzi style gun that spent ink fast but got the job done.

And finally the charge shot was an interesting sniper-style that can down multiple enemies at once. I managed to see a team of 3 snipers find perches and freakin' own the center. The only problem is that our team took out all the areas around and managed to win by a few percentile of ink coverage."

BobSilencieux

I played 2 hours today and it was a hell of a lot of fun. The roller is massively overpowered at this point, and the controls are somewhat less than ideal, especially for turning sharply 180 degrees, but I can see this game offering months of fun after launch...

Koenig

The Architect
In terms of painting the map, the roller is hands down the most powerful. I find it funny that people are so enraged about it in other corners of the internet.

The roller is baller, but if you have too many on a team it can be a detriment. Went up against several teams of 3-4 rollers and smoked with the Splattershot.

The two hours I've played have been a lot of fun. I dont know, it looks like nothing special, and its about as fun as any other shooter I've played minus I guess CoD, which I havent enjoyed in a long while. The game is nice, quick and twitchy. A lot of little things to keep in check in such a short time, its fast and hectic in a great way.

Wish we had gotten more than the two maps we did. Good practice, I'm pretty comfortable in Walleye, can usually work to get around 60-70 percent coverage on that one. The oil rig map is a tough one, I really like it though. '

I didnt get a chance to try out looking with just the sticks, the option was there but didnt bother today since I was pretty comfy with the gyro. Makes shooting with the charger a bit easier, I think, and works perfectly fine otherwise.

Great experience, and with more of that in the game its looking pretty damn good. I've never championed this as the second coming of shooters or Wii U games, but I dont begrudge getting another fast and fun shooter.

Cubits

I played 2 hours today and it was a hell of a lot of fun. The roller is massively overpowered at this point, and the controls are somewhat less than ideal, especially for turning sharply 180 degrees, but I can see this game offering months of fun after launch...
People seemed to have missed a lot about this game from the beta. I was surprised to see people didn't know about the super jump or how the specials worked!

You can JUMP OVER the roller! This instantly makes the "easy" method of killing with the roller almost laughably ineffective unless they sneak up behind you.

The roller has a nerf on it, there's a delay in turning when your first "fire" to put it on the ground. The camera will turn but the character won't until the roller is down. This is a huge deal when someone gets behind you.

Why did you find the controls less than ideal? You have plenty of options when it comes to sensitivity, inversion, and gyro or not. I was happy with the default gyro controls, but it seemed to have everything a DA user could need (sad for no wiimote, but thems the breaks!).

Also, i was fairly sure there was a 180 button. I thought i hit it a few times, remarked at how that could be useful, then promptly forgot to use it when necessary (took me a while to start using the jump properly, too!).

ASuch

The Salt Master
For quick 180 turns either use the right stick or hold back and y

It's been rough, but things have been working out lately for me and my Tapatalk signature, at the very least

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Wow IGN wrote a piece that echoes my thoughts exactly. Now I'm worried.........(for real tho this is the stuff I'm talking about)
I feel like we've each written a piece like that for the front page already. One from me, one from you, and one from Mike, all about lack of voice chat and other online-centric multiplayer features.

This ride never ends.

NE uploaded a video going into the same issue.
Also enlightened me to the fact that the game is full price here while in UK its like 25 eurobucks or something like that. What a pain.

NE uploaded a video going into the same issue.
Also enlightened me to the fact that the game is full price here while in UK its like 25 eurobucks or something like that. What a pain.
Yeah it's £35 for the standard game which is $54. We even get a 10% discount on the eShop if we've played the Testfire I believe. I myself have pre-ordered the game and the Girl Inkling amiibo which came to £46 ($71). Also comes with a shirt too.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah it's £35 for the standard game which is $54. We even get a 10% discount on the eShop if we've played the Testfire I believe. I myself have pre-ordered the game and the Girl Inkling amiibo which came to £46 ($71). Also comes with a shirt too.
Damn

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I wish I could've gotten into the test fire this weekend. Never got a chance.
Wow IGN wrote a piece that echoes my thoughts exactly. Now I'm worried.........(for real tho this is the stuff I'm talking about)
Once in awhile, IGN writes something worth reading. If they keep this up, they'll get to Kotaku's level. (No, really, I mean that as a compliment...)
I feel like we've each written a piece like that for the front page already. One from me, one from you, and one from Mike, all about lack of voice chat and other online-centric multiplayer features.

This ride never ends.
Although formatting of said articles seems to compromised due to whatever the hell has happened to the site (that's the most recent one, and it's already cocked up).
Ugh.
http://www.amazon.com/Splatoon-Wii-U/dp/B00KWFCV32

I mean, I do want to give the game a chance, even with all of my issues with it. But I'm not paying $60 on day one to get half the game. C'mon, Nintendo.

BobSilencieux

Why did you find the controls less than ideal? You have plenty of options when it comes to sensitivity, inversion, and gyro or not. I was happy with the default gyro controls, but it seemed to have everything a DA user could need (sad for no wiimote, but thems the breaks!).
Well, with only 1 hour to play with, I just jumped straight in with the default controls. Sad for no wiimote, absolutely. And the slight issue I had was the same problem that I have with every single Wii U and 3DS game with gyro aiming: when you point a wiimote to the right, the screen turns to the right, then when you point back towards the screen, you centre your cross-hairs; when you move the gamepad to the right, the screen turns to the right, then when you point back towards the screen, the screen turns back to the left. It's just something that has never clicked with me.

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
What were your thoughts Mantis?
The first weapon i tried was the Spalt Charger which, out of the four weapons available, requires the most skill to use. I don't remember what weapon i tried out next just that after regretting my decision to start with the Charger, I only used either the Splattershot or the Splat Roller since I never gave the Splattershot Jr. a go.

ASuch

The Salt Master
You just have to play it differently. You can't play a Sniper in TF2 on the front lines, nor can you play a pyro in the far back.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I played it both times during the testfire and, both times, I had a lot of fun. At first, I was hating it 'cause of the gyroscope controls as I don't think they work as well as Wind Waker HD's or Majora's Mask 3D's but, once I switched over to the more standard analog controls, I began to have fun. The roller is probably my favorite weapon in this game but I got some good usage out of the splattershot and sniper(?) as well. Hopefully, my cousin will be willing to playing this game with me alongside Halo and Smah

Ex-Actarus

It's sad that this game doesn't have local co-op like Hyrule Warriors
That's very disappointing :( ... Local coop was always a given in multi Nintendo games.

I think Nintendo is hurting the game marketing with many missteps ( Amiibo exclusive, questionable DLC, no voice chat, not all content on day 1 ). That's not how you would like to launch a new franchise.

I think they were saying on the latest NVC ( Nintendo Voice Chat, Nintendo IGN podcast ), that the game seemed to have been conceived as a free to play game. I have to agree with that...

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I never got a chance to get into a test match, but that theme music is already starting to annoy me.
Man the mechanics of Splatoon just work so well. Shoot, lay a trail, swim & reload, jump and shoot again. It's glorious. So HYPE for Friday!
:sigh: I wanna do it. I wanna buy the game on the quasi-blind faith that EAD can rarely screw anything up. But full price, day one, for a game shipping without a bunch of stuff that'll arrive via patch in a few months (and yes, plus no voice chat)? Hard for me to justify.