ミ:コ> Official Splatoon Thread <コ:彡

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
So when I think this game can't disappoint me any more I learn about the ability system.

It's similar to perks in CoD, but they are randomly assigned. I know players usually figure these perk systems out fast and eventually everyone uses the same optimal setup. Maybe Ninendo did this to curb that process?

Nope. If you see someone in the town (or whatever), you can use buy their load-out. So once someone grinds to the best load-out, others will just buy it.

This system makes experimenting a pain in the ass and is put in place to make players grind. It's skinner box 101.

So when I think this game can't disappoint me any more I learn about the ability system.

It's similar to perks in CoD, but they are randomly assigned. I know players usually figure these perk systems out fast and eventually everyone uses the same optimal setup. Maybe Ninendo did this to curb that process?

Nope. If you see someone in the town (or whatever), you can use buy their load-out. So once someone grinds to the best load-out, others will just buy it.

This system makes experimenting a pain in the ass and is put in place to make players grind. It's skinner box 101.
Wait....

So if I level up max and have the best perks, some low level person can just buy them off me and get the best perks without working for it?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I enjoyed/did not mind the Splatoon Music.
This playlist isn't grating on me quite as much. But hearing this theme has been.

The sort of "chewing on gibberish" thing isn't my bag. Honestly starting to cringe every time I hear it.

...and yet...I still actually kinda want to try this game. Just to be part of something new.

Last edited:

Odo

I never got a chance to get into a test match, but that theme music is already starting to annoy me.

:sigh: I wanna do it. I wanna buy the game on the quasi-blind faith that EAD can rarely screw anything up. But full price, day one, for a game shipping without a bunch of stuff that'll arrive via patch in a few months (and yes, plus no voice chat)? Hard for me to justify.
I'm not sure I'm going to get it on first-day full price either.

It looks so fun, but, I'm not convinced yet.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Some potentially leaked DLC (free DLC based off the paintbrush--which is free--being on the list):
It sucks the game isn't 100% complete at launch, but at least we are getting a ton of free extra content soon after launch. Not to mention it isn't buggy. I just hope this won't become a regular thing for Nintendo, I fear Star Fox will meet the same fate though considering it has the signs of being rushed.

I look forward to playing against all of you who are buying the game over the weekend!

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Hey! The game is live in a little over an hour! Launch is at midnight easter time! Who's up for some Splatoon tonight? I'll be rollin' around in the ink. By the way, check out this woodcut! Its not mine but pretty spiffy.

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
So is this out already? Saw some of you fellas talking about playing it in the chat.
Anyone tried out the local multiplayer? I haven't been paying much attention so far so haven't kept up, but I'm hoping the local is good.

EvilTw1n

Turf war vids are making their way to youtube.

It really does look fun. It's tempting. But I at least have to wait until more of the crew buys it to organize some sort of chat workaround.

It really does look fun. It's tempting. But I at least have to wait until more of the crew buys it to organize some sort of chat workaround.
Well I have it and assure you I will play it for a long time, so I'm happy to sort voice chat stuff out to talk with you guys whilst we play. Pls let me join da crew pls

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

Keep in mind that we can't join matches as a party until August. Right now you can only join someone in your friends list if there's room in their lobby, and you're not guaranteed to be in the same team. We also can't do private matches where 8 of us could play against each other, I don't think.

Also it bothers me how slow that player is. Not even taking advantage of the swim mechanic to move around the level quickly, in that case the mechanic might as well not be there for players like that.

Yeah, apart of me thinks it does look fun, but another part of me really wonders how long shooting the floor and walls can be fun for. Even watching some videos, the game seems tedious at times.

I'll at least wait til August. That way I'll know if the game has lasting appeal, and we'll also get those new age online features.

@nerdman @CitizenOfVerona I just want to correct you (if you haven't been playing already) about the perk system. You can talk to a guy in the plaza and he will get you the stuff that other people are wearing if you order it, but he doesn't guarantee you that the items will have the same abilities attached. So it seems to be a purely aesthetic thing... I think.
Gotcha. It seems though that there is a chance you can buy better abilities.

EvilTw1n

Well I have it and assure you I will play it for a long time, so I'm happy to sort voice chat stuff out to talk with you guys whilst we play. Pls let me join da crew pls
We'll figure something out, MC. It may not be for a few weeks, though, because...
Keep in mind that we can't join matches as a party until August. Right now you can only join someone in your friends list if there's room in their lobby, and you're not guaranteed to be in the same team. We also can't do private matches where 8 of us could play against each other, I don't think.

Also it bothers me how slow that player is. Not even taking advantage of the swim mechanic to move around the level quickly, in that case the mechanic might as well not be there for players like that.
Damn good call. I wouldn't even care about being on the same team right now (this is the sort of game where it seems like it'll be a ton of fun to screw with your friends by squidding in a wall and popping out behind them), but there's no guarantee at all of even being able to play with friends right now.

Not something I would've cared about a few years ago (I lone wolfed a hell of a lot of COD), but I pretty much play cooperative games now for the interaction with friends. :/

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Not something I would've cared about a few years ago (I lone wolfed a hell of a lot of COD), but I pretty much play cooperative games now for the interaction with friends. :/
This is what I told the others on Skype. I've played a lot of shooters with great controls and mechanics already, but in the past 3 or so years I've gotten into the whole playing with people I know thing. So now with Splatoon, yes the gameplay is very smooth and all that, but I feel like I'm only getting half of the package. Like I'm having a burger without bacon or cheese, or a taco without salsa. Like coffee without milk or sugar. Pancakes without syrup or honey or nutella on top.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Some 60fps footage of the Splatoon testfire. @Laer_HeiSeiRyuu Please compare my aiming skills between both games. I think it's extremely obvious that I can do things with IR that I can only dream of with the gyroscope.
(Make sure to watch in 720p60.)

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

This is what I told the others on Skype. I've played a lot of shooters with great controls and mechanics already, but in the past 3 or so years I've gotten into the whole playing with people I know thing. So now with Splatoon, yes the gameplay is very smooth and all that, but I feel like I'm only getting half of the package. Like I'm having a burger without bacon or cheese, or a taco without salsa. Like coffee without milk or sugar. Pancakes without syrup or honey or nutella on top.
If you don't at least put butter on your pancakes, then the terrorists win.

Why do you want the terrorists to win, Nintendo?
I wonder if they will ever patch in IR controls...
I suppose it's possible, but I highly doubt it. If the thought hasn't occurred to them yet, then they probably aren't going to bother shoehorning an IR scheme in. I hope I'm wrong, though.

If I could get used to the PS3's sticks for Vanquish, though, I suppose I can adapt for this. Eventually.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Gyro is awesome when used in unison with the analog stick. Gyro for quick small accurate adjustments, analog for the big sweeping movements,

Dual analog by itself is too slow and clunky for my tastes.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
If I can get my Chem textbook sold, I'll try to get it over the weekend. Otherwise, I'll just wait till August-ish, which is about when most of the features and content will be released for the title and when I'll consider it a complete game. Same reason why I didn't really consider getting GTA V

simplyTravis

Splatoon is living up to the hype for me at least. I have much lower requirements though in a shooter. I don't really game much in FPS-land.

I will say the "Play with a Friend" option is pretty well done. I have had no problem tagging onto someone's room and playing for an extended amount of time. With TNE chat bumping or a Google Hangout voice chat going it's very enjoyable. I know we can't make teams yet but at least we can talk about the match and either help out or trash talk each other.

I'm also starting to really "get" the controls. Each weapon grouping has a unique feel and playstyle that I don't get from other shooters. I think swimming in the ink adds another layer of well...awesomeness.

Ok, I should finish writing this but I see some folks want to play Splatoon.

INK UP!

simplyTravis

So how is the single player for this?
I've gone a few stages past the first boss and so far its very enjoyable. It has a nice platformer-style to it with a mix of espionage. You are Secret Agent 3 (using the borrowed armor from Agent 1 and 2...) and you are infiltrating the Octarians to take back the Pop Fish. They are using the pop-fish for nefarious means to power their evil machinations of splatting fury!

Pretty much..its fun. Its a nice mix of Mario Galaxy and 3rd person shooting.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Many times over.

I just have a feeling you're set in your ways

Dont worry I wont fault ya.
Oh how merciful of you. On the other hand I have posted video showing my empirical evidence with both IR and Gyroscope. Yes, these gyroscope controls are as good as the gyroscope has ever been, and that's good, but it's not enough to even come close to IR, in my experience, as evidenced in my video footage above.

I don't get "set in my ways", I just believe in my personal experience. Show me footage that makes me doubt my personal experience (someone doing with a gyroscope better than I'm doing with IR in that COD: Ghosts video) and I'll change my tune.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
@nerdman @CitizenOfVerona I just want to correct you (if you haven't been playing already) about the perk system. You can talk to a guy in the plaza and he will get you the stuff that other people are wearing if you order it, but he doesn't guarantee you that the items will have the same abilities attached. So it seems to be a purely aesthetic thing... I think.
I dislike it even more knowing this. It's a grinding mechanic to keep players online.

It might also be an attempt to enforce variation in ability load-outs, which I don't think is a good approach. My feeling is that if everyone just uses the same abilities, then the designers didn't balance them very well.

BobSilencieux

I dislike it even more knowing this. It's a grinding mechanic to keep players online. And what's so bad about that?

It might also be an attempt to enforce variation in ability load-outs, which I don't think is a good approach. My feeling is that if everyone just uses the same abilities, then the designers didn't balance them very well.
Well, the good news is that I've seen not only a ton of variety in weapon loadouts, but also in gear and abilities. The only thing coming close to a pattern that I've noticed has been a few Roller players using multiples of the run-speed-up ability. Everybody else is using all the different abilities for all sorts of different tactics.

EvilTw1n

Oh how merciful of you. On the other hand I have posted video showing my empirical evidence with both IR and Gyroscope. Yes, these gyroscope controls are as good as the gyroscope has ever been, and that's good, but it's not enough to even come close to IR, in my experience, as evidenced in my video footage above.

I don't get "set in my ways", I just believe in my personal experience. Show me footage that makes me doubt my personal experience (someone doing with a gyroscope better than I'm doing with IR in that COD: Ghosts video) and I'll change my tune.
Wouldn't hold my breath there. IR gets you as close to a mouse as you can get without actually using one (and in some scenarios, I think I actually prefer IR); you aren't gonna see anyone saying sticks+scope tops a mouse (IR should go without saying, but it's never gotten the respect it deserves as an aiming input). But really, I don't think that's the point for Splatoon. This is a game where you're spending a lot of time spraying walls and the ground, with the squid mechanic layered in there. That's the point of the game, not to out-ninja a twitchy FPS setup in a TPS.
Well, the good news is that I've seen not only a ton of variety in weapon loadouts, but also in gear and abilities. The only thing coming close to a pattern that I've noticed has been a few Roller players using multiples of the run-speed-up ability. Everybody else is using all the different abilities for all sorts of different tactics.
What are your favorite loadouts and tactics thus far, sir Bob?

Koenig

The Architect
In all honesty, I find the DA to be more stable than the gyro sensor (in this game) I am doing much better with the DA controlls the the gyroscope, considering I don't have to fight the camera so often. That said, IR would still take dump over both of them.