ミ:コ> Official Splatoon Thread <コ:彡

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I'm loving the trickling in of weapons and load-outs. I've changed my playstyle at least 5 times so far thinking, "This is the one!" then getting wooed by the next shiny (and sometimes bedazzled) ink sprayer/roller/exploder/etc...

So far I've been enjoying the Tektonik Roller with waypoint creator and Kraken then just tonight I've been killing with the Advanced Splattershot with tri-grenades and Inkstrike.

I've seen a few spots of lag where my roller wouldn't drop ink and then it would randomly catch up. Seems like the game has been pretty smooth so far except for the friends games with Jorge and Koenig dropping us.

I've clocked in quite a few hours on this game mostly in multiplayer and keep coming back for more. I saw that Ranked Matches are almost ready on twitter. They were waiting for a certain number and its over half-full. Maybe we'll see it tomorrow :D

Ok, I've had my helping of squid today. Time to call it a night folks...

Have you had your daily helping of squid today?

Koenig

The Architect
So far my favorite has to be the .96 Gal. Its range allows me to keep enemies at bay while its splatter effect lets me paint everything between me and them. A simple strafing measure will COMPLETELY cover the floor (Which works wonder for my OCD problem with this game) and its high ink capacity lets me keep spraying for a very long time. Not to be outdone, its sub weapon, the sprinkler, is awesome if used right. If used in safe territory it will easily claim a large portion of the map for you without needing you to stick around. The special power pointing out enemy locations is not as useful as some, but it really helps to keep a tab on enemies making it much harder for them to sneak up on you from behind or ink.

With this gun my average has been around 1,100.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Wouldn't hold my breath there. IR gets you as close to a mouse as you can get without actually using one (and in some scenarios, I think I actually prefer IR); you aren't gonna see anyone saying sticks+scope tops a mouse (IR should go without saying, but it's never gotten the respect it deserves as an aiming input). But really, I don't think that's the point for Splatoon. This is a game where you're spending a lot of time spraying walls and the ground, with the squid mechanic layered in there. That's the point of the game, not to out-ninja a twitchy FPS setup in a TPS.
I'm with you, and I think it's more than functional for what it is, even if I'd prefer IR controls for all purposes. I'm just bugging Laer cause he once claimed that Gyroscope was better than IR, which was the opposite of my experience and still is, and I want IR to get the recognition it deserves, not some half-baked dismissal like IR wasn't ever good for anything.

The worst part is that I googled that "three tier" phrase thinking I'd run into something interesting, and of course I ran into the GAF, where some dude is claiming that you have more freedom of movement in Splatoon because you use the left stick to move, the right stick to "look", and the gamepad to aim, whereas in DA and IR you only control movement and cursor. In that person's eyes, Splatoon has three-tiered control instead of two-tiered controls. But it's actually the other way around. Because in Splatoon your cursor is always in the center of the screen, like in any old X360 DA shooter, there are only two tiers of controls, character movement and camera movement; whereas in any IR-controlled shooter with a bounding box like COD: Black Ops for Wii or Goldeneye for the N64, you can move the character, camera, and cursor separately from one another, making that more apt of the "three-tiered" moniker.

BobSilencieux

What are your favorite loadouts and tactics thus far, sir Bob?
I've come to accept the fact that I'm a rusher. An out-and-out runner and gunner. Just like in Goldeneye Wii, I can't sit still for a second. I run headlong into enemy territory and blast the ever-lovin crap out of anything that moves. I'm physically incapable of playing shooters any other way. It gets me killed a lot but I just can't help it. So I tend to favour the machine gun and assault rifle types for getting into CQC and relying on superior aiming and evasion skills. Which doesn't always work!

As for abilities, I've been trying out a lot of different things: Special Duration Up if I have the Bubbler (because it doesn't last very long); Ink Saver if I'm using a weapon that consumes a lot of ink; Defence Up (needs no explanation); Special Saver and Special Charge Up to give me more uses of the special weapon... there are so many different options and tactics you can employ in this game, it's going to take me a long time to try them all and see what works best for me...

BobSilencieux

...And the single-player just keeps getting better and better! It really feels like the follow-up to the Galaxy games that 3DWorld never was. The levels are fantastically fast paced, there's a nice variety in level types, and just like Mario, they keep introducing new ideas in every level. It's also nice to know that some of the strategies I'm developing to deal with enemies will come in handy for the online multiplayer too...

WiiU_screenshot_TV_0176A.jpg

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
Hopefully I can catch you guys online again. I switched back to using the Gyroscope yesterday; Even though it is less stable (And a bitch to recenter the way you want at times) it is much easier for me to win fire-fights with it turned on than with just DA.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I am absolutely in LOVE with this game! Steve2 and I played it a lot this weekend. We wanted to make sure we were Level 10 to do our part for the opening of Ranked Battles.

Up until last week, I wasn't sure I would get this on Day 1, but Steve2 reminded me that I already had $40 bucks in my eShop account from gift cards, so technically, I would only be spending $20 of my own money. Now that I've put hours upon hours into it, I would have paid the full $60 gladly.

I don't know when the last time I had this much fun and unadulterated joy with a game. Even when Steve2 is playing, I'm sitting on the couch helping out telling him if their other team is invading or where an area needs more ink. Of course, he could totally do it himself, but we were having a great time doing it together like that. I was able to master the controls rather quickly, and the gyroscope feels so intuitive. The single player campaign is a lot more fun and in-depth than I thought it would be, and the boss battles make you work for it. Over the course of the weekend, I never got kicked out of a game, and the longest I had to wait to join a lobby was about 90 seconds.

My biggest hope is that one of the roll outs later is a 2 on 2 local multiplayer so that we could have my niece and nephew over to play and all play at the same time. Wiimote/Nunchuck combo would be easy to use with this.

Right now, I'm at work, and I can't wait to get home and play more. A+ Nintendo!

Splatoon was trending on Twitter this weekend, and if the tweets are comparable to sales, I think Nintendo has a HUGE hit on their hands.

BobSilencieux

Yeah, 'epic' is definitely the word. I showed Mrs. Bob the difference between the first and last levels of the single player and it blew her mind. The speed, variety, complexity, and relentlessness of his attacks coupled with what's required of you to beat him make for one hell of an epic encounter.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah, 'epic' is definitely the word. I showed Mrs. Bob the difference between the first and last levels of the single player and it blew her mind. The speed, variety, complexity, and relentlessness of his attacks coupled with what's required of you to beat him make for one hell of an epic encounter.
Well color me shocked, for real. Jaw dropped

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I've read all the same impressions on 4chan. And those guys hate everything.

New weapon and map today!!
If they release another map like this in a week or two (probably announcing it as "available now" during E3), it'll be indicative of something: Nintendo didn't release Splatoon with only 5 maps because it's all they had, but because they wanted to ease people into the game and keep them hooked with a constant drip of free content. Right now the game might not have enough content to justify $60 for some us, but in August or later it might be very easily justifiable.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
If they release another map like this in a week or two (probably announcing it as "available now" during E3), it'll be indicative of something: Nintendo didn't release Splatoon with only 5 maps because it's all they had, but because they wanted to ease people into the game and keep them hooked with a constant drip of free content. Right now the game might not have enough content to justify $60 for some us, but in August or later it might be very easily justifiable.
I had about 400 words written for an article on this, that Splatoon might be the first game Nintendo has released that isn't complete (which would sadly put EAD's rep on par with other modern devs in this habit). But if they're really putting down a breadcrumb trail, that's different. I hope it's the latter.

simplyTravis

OFFICIAL SPLATOON VOICE CHAT:

What? An official splatoon voice chat you say? How do I join in this splatastic idea?!?

1. Have a Google Account and access to Hangouts.

2. Click this link on either your cell phone or computer :
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gqhea3vjjdfcg2e3u664adx36ya

(if you use a cellphone make sure you have the Hangouts App downloaded)

3. Attach some headphones!
(video can be on or off, I usually just hook it up to my phone and put my phone in my pocket wearing a headset)

4. YOU CAN CHAT ON SPLATOON!
(or any other game for that matter)

5. Share the link from step 2 in the chat so others can join! What? You forget it already, sigh...you got the attention span of a popfish! Here's the link again!

sjmartin79

So ranked battles started last night, and I can tell you right now, it's a whole new animal in the world of Splatoon. These are about taking over specific territory, so all 8 players are focused on one sections. Lots of kill shots to get players out of the way.

Word of Advice - Use a gun and not a roller for this. Rollers work great in turf wars, but in this, use a gun.

Also, loving the frantic nature of Ranked Battles. It can sometimes take the whole five minutes or be over in less than two. With control of the area constantly changing and people shooting at anything that moves, each round is different and unique. Just another reason I effing love this game!

And also, love that the NES Zapper is now a weapon.

simplyTravis

So ranked battles started last night, and I can tell you right now, it's a whole new animal in the world of Splatoon. These are about taking over specific territory, so all 8 players are focused on one sections. Lots of kill shots to get players out of the way.

Word of Advice - Use a gun and not a roller for this. Rollers work great in turf wars, but in this, use a gun.

Also, loving the frantic nature of Ranked Battles. It can sometimes take the whole five minutes or be over in less than two. With control of the area constantly changing and people shooting at anything that moves, each round is different and unique. Just another reason I effing love this game!

And also, love that the NES Zapper is now a weapon.
I agree with you on everything except your word of advice. I used a roller last night and was able to splat multiple foes when they would try to group up or would attack my team and I could easily flatten them when they weren't looking. Also the spawnpoint secondary weapon is pretty amazing in this mode since you can load up a spawn point at a sniper nest or really close in for easy access to the splatzone. Annnnnd, you can take over the whole zone in one quick run through it.

This game is so balanced its crazy. The only weapon I have felt to be really overpowered is the Aerospray RG. But that might only be because its a higher level weapon and I'm getting owned by higher level beings.

"I got that Aerospray RG, NOOB!"

EvilTw1n

OFFICIAL SPLATOON VOICE CHAT:

What? An official splatoon voice chat you say? How do I join in this splatastic idea?!?

1. Have a Google Account and access to Hangouts.

2. Click this link on either your cell phone or computer :

(if you use a cellphone make sure you have the Hangouts App downloaded)

3. Attach some headphones!
(video can be on or off, I usually just hook it up to my phone and put my phone in my pocket wearing a headset)

4. YOU CAN CHAT ON SPLATOON!
(or any other game for that matter)

5. Share the link from step 2 in the chat so others can join! What? You forget it already, sigh...you got the attention span of a popfish! Here's the link again!
Duly noted. Will give this a shot when I get the game.

sjmartin79

Splatoon could totally work as a portable game as well. Touch screen on the 3DS would be the same ease of use as the Gamepad. Could still do local mutliplayer and online battles. Also, taking your portable with you and getting in a couple online matches during lunch.

If it sells well, and if the NX is portable, I totally see a Splatoon for the NX.

Koenig

The Architect
I beat the game, now what?

Splatoon has to have one of the most Solid core game mechancis of any IP out right now, but its radius leave something to be desired. I long for an open world for me to ink my way around and explore.

simplyTravis

I beat the game, now what?

Splatoon has to have one of the most Solid core game mechancis of any IP out right now, but its radius leave something to be desired. I long for an open world for me to ink my way around and explore.
I beat the game last night! The ending battle was pretty intense. There is a ton of stuff thrown at you all at once that is reminiscent of the ending levels of the Mario Galaxy and 3D World levels. Also, the final boss was quite fun to fight. I don't want to give it away but the game really does have a worthy single-player mode and I would love to see more of it in the future!

Now I'm working on getting some worthy gear to go with different weapons. I just found this info dealing with brand's of clothing giving special abilities more readily that may be useful:

http://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/38nuy2/each_clothing_brand_has_a_higher_chance_to_get_a/

Even though the single player is over I still feel like I have plenty of game left to play. That gear/grind ratio is something far less crazy than Monster Hunter which always wore me down. I'm looking forward to future updates because it seems each weapon/map really changes how you play this game.

Also, if you are still thinking about getting this game or holding out until August you are wasting your time. Its fun now! Just go ahead and get it...seriously.

My favourite main weapon is the .## Gal weapons so far, I wish I could specifically pick what my sub and special weapons are though. I wish it was just like CoD where you could edit everything whilst in a lobby. Anyway, I love the Gal named guns and they are my current go to weapons.

Cubits

People were upset that splatoon was rushed, that it didn't have enough content at launch, but that is absolute crap! Nintendo doesn't do rushed games, and Splatoon is no exception. They've absolutely staged the release of on-disc content to coincide with the growth and development of the community, but it's not an evil plot to artificially extend the life of the game, it's to keep the community together as it grows.

You look at a game like CoD, where everyone is in two game modes out of twenty, and know that barely anyone has even tried the other modes to tell if they're any good. With this staged release everyone will jump into whatever is new that week, which will see each worthy mode be sustainable into the future. With the Wii U's small install base, this problem is made significantly more acute. What Nintendo is doing with the content would be seen as nickel and diming by anyone else, but they're actually just being really smart.

This content is rolling out way faster than i think anyone was expecting. We've already had ranked mode, the nes zapper, a new map, and now the brush. I've already played a couple of other incoming MP maps in the campaign, and they're pretty cool, too! Nintendo is handling this content way differently to anyone else, so it's hard to judge them by the same rules. It's certainly not a thing to get angry at (i've seen some weird things in the comments on news sites!).

Also, addressing an earlier point that splatoon's novel movement system is just another double jump or wall run: It isn't. Unlike in things like Titanfall or Advanced Warfare, the ink swimming is intrinsically linked into the core trinity mechanic of movement vs health vs firing. If you remove double jumping from CoD it's entirely unaffected. If you remove the squid from Splatoon it's a broken game.

In fact, i'd go as far as saying that squidding in Splatoon is even more important than skiing is in Tribes (a game with the same core trinity), as your ink path is logistically important to your entire team. And while KDR in both games are meaningless, staying alive in Splatoon to give your team a strategically significant spawn point is incredibly powerful (in Tribes it is common to suicide as soon as your mission that life is a success/failure). It's not a novel mechanic in its own right (hi, battlefield!), but it's a crucial piece of the Splatoon puzzle.

This game is really living up to my expectations. The variety and depth of techniques i've seen employed has been pretty spectacular, and the game design is brilliantly fine tuned to maximise the potential for comebacks in both modes so far (the way ranked mode adds time back on is much more clever than the usual ticket-based system). Pulling off a last minute turnaround is utterly satisfying!

It's also pretty easy to run team tactics once you know the levels and your team mates loadouts. Each weapon pack is visually distinctive, so you know which special everyone is packing (which is why loadouts can't be edited!), and the character's hair sparkles to let you know they're primed. Coordinating something like a team bubble is surprisingly easy without voice comms.

I DO wish that we could choose loadouts between matches, and hopefully that's added in soon. I'm struggling to think of a reason why it's excluded. Just show me who is in which team at the lobby, and what they're packing!

Koenig

The Architect
I don't think Splatoon is rushed, but I do think that the extent of its content is lacking. The quality is there, but the quantity is not.

Cubits

I don't think Splatoon is rushed, but I do think that the extent of its content is lacking. The quality is there, but the quantity is not.
The quantity IS there, it's just not unlocked yet. The vast majority of the new content is on the disc already, but nintendo is being nintendo by introducing things one at a time.

Normally that would be annoying, but they've already shown that they're opening things up at a pretty good pace. Several more maps (a few of which have already been in the single player part), a couple of new modes, and the night-mode festivals are incoming over the next few weeks. I'm still hammering away at getting to level 20, and constantly buying new gear to see the stats they pop up with.

Also, i have no idea why any reviewer complained about the single player being too short. By what shooter standard is a 5 hour campaign short?! The whole of The Order was shorter! CoD barely scrapes by, and that's filled out with walking simulator parts and creepy kevin spacey clones. 5 hours of EAD brilliance only falls short of their single player games.

Edit: Also, how awesome would it be for those ink rails to be in the MP maps? They get used in combat on a couple of occasions in the single player, and they're totally awesome. I hope that they get included when Nintendo feels like adding more advanced maps (as they said they were).

BobSilencieux

Looks like a couple of my posts got lost while the site was down again. But it doesn't really matter because @Cubits said it better. Way better. Anyway, still loving every aspect of the game (I keep replaying the single player missions) and I just want to second the notion that anybody waiting until August to pick this up is doing themselves a huge disservice. Get it now and join us in trying out every new weapon, mode, and map as they roll out...

Ex-Actarus

The quantity IS there, it's just not unlocked yet. The vast majority of the new content is on the disc already, but nintendo is being nintendo by introducing things one at a time.

Normally that would be annoying, but they've already shown that they're opening things up at a pretty good pace. Several more maps (a few of which have already been in the single player part), a couple of new modes, and the night-mode festivals are incoming over the next few weeks. I'm still hammering away at getting to level 20, and constantly buying new gear to see the stats they pop up with.

Also, i have no idea why any reviewer complained about the single player being too short. By what shooter standard is a 5 hour campaign short?! The whole of The Order was shorter! CoD barely scrapes by, and that's filled out with walking simulator parts and creepy kevin spacey clones. 5 hours of EAD brilliance only falls short of their single player games.

Edit: Also, how awesome would it be for those ink rails to be in the MP maps? They get used in combat on a couple of occasions in the single player, and they're totally awesome. I hope that they get included when Nintendo feels like adding more advanced maps (as they said they were).
I haven't played Splatoon yet, so I won't judge the single-player campaign, but what I read and hear the most is that the campaign feels more like a tutorial. So you can't blame reviewers and some gamers to be disappointed if the single player didn't impress them and the content is not there yet.

As for Call of Duy campaign, let's not put them all in the same bag. Campaigns made by Treyarch ( Black Ops, Black Ops 2 and World at War ) are very good ; and the early Infinity Ward campaigns were brilliant ! So much so that I'm one of the guy who is buying Call of Duty JUST for the campaign ( and we're a lot doing it ). Having played Splatoon, would you just buy Splatoon for the single player ?

Cubits

I've played every CoD campaign, and even though a few have some alright story moments (BO1 had an interesting concept and jumped around nicely, MW had the boat and the ghillie, etc), the gameplay has always been the same. The mechanics which work well for the multiplayer bro-fest rarely have the variety to translate well into a AI horde mode. At best i can bear a CoD campaign, and i have for the sake of giving them a chance, but holy god some are just awful in every conceivable way (ghosts... ghosts was hard, man!).

Splatoon's campaign does a WHOLE BUNCH OF SHIT that's not in the multiplayer, it's far more like mario galaxy than a tutorial for multiplayer. The ink rails i spoke of earlier would be totally baller in multiplayer, as would the sponges. There ARE a couple of multiplayer-ey levels in there, which actually take place on the multiplayer maps (and a bunch which aren't released yet!), but they are the exception, not the rule. The rest of the campaign consists of whimsical platforming goodness, even down to the overworld, and the backstory it unlocks is pretty rich, disturbingly post-apocalyptic, and seems to reference planet of the apes a whole lot!

There's no difficulty setting, and so it does feel a bit easy whilst being fun (even the amiibo challenges are fair), but then noone actually played a CoD campaign for the challenge, right?

If we stripped the multiplayer out of CoD and Splatoon and had to choose, it's not even close; splatoon makes any 100 million dollar effort with mo-capped celebrities look like a total fucking waste of money.

The final boss would do platinum proud.

EvilTw1n

I think @juegosmajicos post on movement mechanics was a victim of our most recent "site goes down and no one seems to be able to fix it or explain it" crash. He was just stating that it's not accurate to say new movement mechanics aren't bleeding into shooters across the spectrum. Of course Splatoon's squid is well integrated; it's a new IP built entirely around the squid, not an existing IP with a mechanic shoehorned in.

Pay day for me isn't until the 15th. I'm already over my budget from seeing a concert on Thursday, but if I'm feeling rich, I'll buy it on the 15th. If not, then yes, I'll probably wait until August and the party system. I have precisely zero* interest in playing with randoms anymore. YMMV, but mine doesn't.

(*I used to; that's how I spent hundreds of hours on my Wii, but it doesn't appeal to me the same way anymore.)
What Nintendo is doing with the content would be seen as nickel and diming by anyone else, but they're actually just being really smart.
No. One standard will do. If Activision or EA or Ubi would be doing something I'd call "nickel and diming," then I'm not going to give Nintendo a pass on it. Reversed, if it's Nintendo being "really smart," then it would be the same thing if Activision or EA or Ubi did it. Semi-relatedly...
...doesn't make sense to me to tell @Koenig "the quantity is totally there, you just can't play it." It doesn't matter if the content is locked or patched in; if it's not available, it's not available. He can have the opinion that he thinks that right now the game's content isn't quite there for him.

I'm glad so many forum peeps are enjoying the game, but geez, folks, it's not like people are shooting your cat if they have a complaint, or are simply waiting to buy the game.

Koenig

The Architect
From my point of view something we can not actually play can not be considered content.

I can agree with you on that part, though I wish there was more single player content.

The campaign was short as is par the course for most shooters, however that does not change the fact the most of us still want more to do in regards to single player activities. The galaxy style levels were great and the level deisgn was fantastic, but this goes back to another sub-debate some of us here at TNE have been having for a while-Myself being on the side that wants more open world or level exploration (Think the levels in Mario 64 VS Galaxy) I am not saying that one of these methods is better than the other, but I would like to see more than one type accommodated in Splatoon. Imagine if you will, the ability to freely explore a level for secrets, NPC's, and platforming? (The closest we come to this is combat levels) Splatoon simply has a lot of untapped potential that I would like to see capitalized on (And it already taps a lot mind you)

I would love to see those in the maps, hell I would love to see a lot more of the SP mechanics used in MP. How about Sponges for platforming shortcuts and Ink cannons for perimeter defense? Team rollers that slowly patrol each base? And as you said, the ink rails for rapid mobility and combat situations.

So this idea that you can't play with friends is total bullshit. I just played a bunch of matches with 5 friends. (@Mr-Chris was one of them.) And even without voice chat, it's still a hell of a lot better when you're playing with people you know...
This is true and those particular matches were very fun indeed; however doing private matches with friends and customizing the rules and set ups (and ideally voice chatting...) is the best way to play with friends. Currently it is not perfect, far from it. Like, maybe you get a group of you playing together but someone wants to change their weapon. They have to exit and then re-join and wait; maybe wait longer if there's no spots open. But yeah you can play with friends and it is fun.

sjmartin79

Personally, I love the fact that you can't see what weapons the other team will have before the battle. It really makes the game about being the best you can be under circumstances that are out of your control. It forces you to learn how to work against a sniper or a bitch with seekers. You're constantly learning and improving your skills because each situation is different and you don't know what you're up against till you're in it.
In one match, you could be against a great sniper and cursing his existence, but in the next round he could be on your team, and you're proclaiming him the best part of your day.

And while originally, I yelled at the tv when my teammates would leave the base and head out into the field without inking the base, but now that I've made it part of my game to stay behind and make sure the base is completely covered before I head out, I've been averaging mid 800s even when losing. And the times where we win by .1%, I like to think it's because our turf had no open spots. lol