ミ:コ> Official Splatoon Thread <コ:彡

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host

I find this the most interesting. It makes me wonder if there is some sort of "capture the flag" mechanic and that they will break the shield of that..uh...bug, then run it back to the base. It looks like it is in the center of the arena so I wouldn't think you would go to the other team's base.

Also...

..this level looks super fun!

So this was all found on-disc. I bet that will cause a new storm of animosity to some Splatoon users. I'm ok with it because the game has been paced pretty well for me so far. I have yet to feel like there is nothing left to do in the game. Also, I feel like I am getting well-adjusted to the levels one at a time.

I find this the most interesting. It makes me wonder if there is some sort of "capture the flag" mechanic and that they will break the shield of that..uh...bug, then run it back to the base. It looks like it is in the center of the arena so I wouldn't think you would go to the other team's base.
"In Rainmaker, both teams compete
to snag the Rainmaker. Once you've got it, the goal is to
carry it into the other team's base!

So as soon as the battle begins,
grab that Rainmaker!

It's guarded by a shield, though,
so you'll need to bust it out first.

Once you snag it, head for the other
team's base. And be quick about it!

If you run out of time or get splatted,
the Rainmaker will be dropped.Its shield will also reactivate.

The Rainmaker is crazy heavy, so you
can't Super Jump while carrying it. Your teammates will have to
watch your back!

The Rainmaker can also shoot ink like
an Inkzooka, so you can clear a path!

The closer you get to the enemy
base while holding the Rainmaker, the lower your goal distance will drop.

If the battle ends without anyone
carrying the Rainmaker to the goal, the team with the lowest
goal distance will win!"

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I'm fully guilty of using the Kracken around the enemies Spawn point once. Yesterday, we had the map most in our color, I rolled over a guy, rolled toward their base, and as he spawned, I used the Kracken to circle around his spawn point so he couldn't leave it to ink anything that I had covered, and just waited till the time ran out. While I kept him occupied, my team inked even more of their territory.

Edit: And yes, I know that isn't playing nice, but it was more of a thing to see how high our % covered could be. Never would do it in a normal match. I'm not a dick.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

"In Rainmaker, both teams compete
to snag the Rainmaker. Once you've got it, the goal is to
carry it into the other team's base!

So as soon as the battle begins,
grab that Rainmaker!

It's guarded by a shield, though,
so you'll need to bust it out first.

Once you snag it, head for the other
team's base. And be quick about it!

If you run out of time or get splatted,
the Rainmaker will be dropped.Its shield will also reactivate.

The Rainmaker is crazy heavy, so you
can't Super Jump while carrying it. Your teammates will have to
watch your back!

The Rainmaker can also shoot ink like
an Inkzooka, so you can clear a path!

The closer you get to the enemy
base while holding the Rainmaker, the lower your goal distance will drop.

If the battle ends without anyone
carrying the Rainmaker to the goal, the team with the lowest
goal distance will win!"
On Saturday, after @Koenig said something about an actual 1v1 mode, this mode is actually the one I came up with. I was detailing it to Steve2 in the car about getting to an area at the other end of the map, and then your character would sparkle or something to show you were in control, and that to win, you had to get the "sparkly you" back to the other team's base. And they could shoot you, and the sparkle ink would drop to the ground if you were killed, the other person could ink into it and they would sparkle, and since they had to come to your base to win, as you respawned, they would be heading toward you. It would be all about out-maneuvering and over-powering your opponent.

Now I feel like an idiot for us spending 30 minutes fleshing out this idea when Nintendo had already come up with it. LOL

Anyway, I think the Rainmaker mode sounds amazing!

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
God damn, this is the most addicting game I've played in a LONG ass time. It's nowhere near perfect but, shit, I don't care. I can play this game all day. My biggest gripes would be the lack of voice-chat, not being able to swap out your equips in-between matches, the limited rotation of stages, and the limited local multiplayer options (1 vs 1? C'mon, man!)

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Interesting article on What's Wrong with FPS Games and How Splatoon Solves Them All

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-ways-nintendo-will-save-us-from-awful-shooter-video-games/
I'm not about to say that Splatoon isn't a good game by any means, but all these calls of "saving the industry from brown and bloom FPS" are honestly a bit too much. Nintendo's not saving the FPS genre because it doesn't need saving. Sure, more variety is always a good thing, but there's plenty of variety already in the market. There are war simulators like Arma and Red Orchestra, there are large scale vehicular and foot combat games like Battlefield and Planetside, there are competitive games like Counter Strike and Insurgency, there's the popcorn stuff like Call of Duty, there's class-based stuff like Team Fortress 2, co-op games like Left 4 Dead and Killing Floor, asymmetrical team-based shooters like Natural Selection (don't actually know if there's more like it), a mech game caled Hawken, a mech and foot game caled Titanfall, and MMO survival stuff like DayZ and Rust, and on and on and on.

These games often have unique mechanics and gameplay systems. Some focus on gun handling customization, others have jetpacks and mechs, others have vehicular combat, some let you play as a team of aliens that can crawl on walls and ceilings, some are just really balanced for competition, some have fuel mechanics for their mechs, and so on and so forth.

Like I said, more variety is always appreciated, and Splatoon is really neat in that it combines many different dynamics of other FPS, but to say that is the savior of the "stale" FPS genre is a bit too much. The genre is fine, all it takes is a bit of digging to see that there is already good variety in settings, and great variety in gameplay.

Anyway, I'll probably get Splatoon soon after I go back home, since Mike already got it and Matt is getting it "for his son".

Cracked is praising Splatoon?
I now hate Splatoon. Selling this and waiting for Spla2n.

Any of you try their burst-fire gun? Its awful. Like every weapon has their flaws but this weapon has zero pros. If you havent wasted your bucks and inventory space on this keep doing so.

Oh, copped some fresh amiibos today, looking forward to my exclusives.

simplyTravis

So, this Splatoon hype might be the real deal. I'm teaching for a week at an art museum to 8 through 14 year olds and I've heard multiple kids talking up the game. "Have you guys tried this yet?" "Dude, what is Splatoon on? I gotta get one of those." "It's so funnn!"

In these little camps/classes kids haven't seen each other since school let out and they tend to talk about what they have been doing. Apparently Nintendo's advertising is working along with word of mouth.

It kinda makes me glad we don't have voice chat now...

sjmartin79

I personally don't care for the new Luna Blaster, but in Ranked Battles, if someone is close enough to hit you with a blast, it is insta-death. But once you know who to look out for, you just make sure to take them out from a distance.
I will give it credit that it covers a lot of turf with each blast.

I have my 3 weapons I use the most and am most comfortable with. (1 weapon for Turf War, and switching between the other 2 for Ranked Battled - trying to figure out which one I like the best.) Anxiously awaiting the release of a new weapon that could unseat any of those as my go-to weapon.

sjmartin79

lol, sorry. I'm a big fan of the Krak-on splat roller, Aerospray RG (the gold one), and the Splash-o-matic.
Krak-on for Turf Wars, and the other two for Ranked Battles. Working with both of them right now to see which one I like best for Ranked.

I need to do the Inkling Boy amiibo challenges to learn how to be better offensively with the Splat Roller. Hearing that you have to beat the last boss with a roller sounds tough, but I'm guessing by the time you are done, you'll have it mastered.

What weapons do you guys like best? Use most?

BobSilencieux

I've used the silver Aerospray A LOT in turf war. It has such good coverage, the points just fly up. Also the paint brush is great if you know how to use it. And the 52 Gal Deco for a nice change of pace...

simplyTravis

I'm a big fan of the Krak-On Splatroller. Its a great weapon if your team actually uses the drop points correctly, allows for some major coverage, and has a great special. I've been using it in ranked battles to set spawn points in corners where it's hard for the other team to destroy them unless they actually try. Also, if you need to break a line of people you can ink around your base and quickly get a Kraken special going then bust through their hold on the SplatZone.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Had my first "win by 0.1%" match this past weekend where I LeBron James-ed the team like old times in Black Ops Wii. 'Twas good fun.

Followed that up with getting a horrendous ass beating.

This game is a little like no-limit Texas Hold 'Em. The swings are wild. I'll score sub-500, then over 1,000 the next match, without really changing tactics at all.
Something i've noticed is that most people playing this still don't realise that you can super-jump at any time, not just from the spawn pad. I often fly about the map providing backup to various fighting fronts in a match, and it's one of the reasons why i see that wiimote support would be a bit more difficult at high-level play. The more you get used to the gameplay, the more you should be using the gamepad screen.

And while a death is barely a knock against your team's progress, if you're alive people can jump to you. This is critical when you're the last guy defending the top of saltspray rig, if you get defeated then the enemy can seal off the entrance and hold the area. The more time you can hold an area without wasting time repainting it, the more time you have free to paint other places.

I have some shoes with stealth jump on them, which leaves no beacon at super jump landing points. It's fantastic for really aggressive jumping!
Ah, duly noted! It's a little more difficult to look down on the map in the midst of a firefight (better just to squid), but that's valuable if you've inked a corner pretty well and need to get elsewhere in a hurry.
I'm not about to say that Splatoon isn't a good game by any means, but all these calls of "saving the industry from brown and bloom FPS" are honestly a bit too much. Nintendo's not saving the FPS genre because it doesn't need saving. Sure, more variety is always a good thing, but there's plenty of variety already in the market. There are war simulators like Arma and Red Orchestra, there are large scale vehicular and foot combat games like Battlefield and Planetside, there are competitive games like Counter Strike and Insurgency, there's the popcorn stuff like Call of Duty, there's class-based stuff like Team Fortress 2, co-op games like Left 4 Dead and Killing Floor, asymmetrical team-based shooters like Natural Selection (don't actually know if there's more like it), a mech game caled Hawken, a mech and foot game caled Titanfall, and MMO survival stuff like DayZ and Rust, and on and on and on.

These games often have unique mechanics and gameplay systems. Some focus on gun handling customization, others have jetpacks and mechs, others have vehicular combat, some let you play as a team of aliens that can crawl on walls and ceilings, some are just really balanced for competition, some have fuel mechanics for their mechs, and so on and so forth.

Like I said, more variety is always appreciated, and Splatoon is really neat in that it combines many different dynamics of other FPS, but to say that is the savior of the "stale" FPS genre is a bit too much. The genre is fine, all it takes is a bit of digging to see that there is already good variety in settings, and great variety in gameplay.

Anyway, I'll probably get Splatoon soon after I go back home, since Mike already got it and Matt is getting it "for his son".
The "the shooters are stagnant" thing isn't accurate for the reasons you mentioned; we just got out of a gen where the two most influential series (arguably) were COD and BioShock, which are absolutely nothing alike outside of the fact that you are in first-person perspective and you have a gun. But, because I'm bored as hell, to go point-by-point on that Cracked article...

6) It's Saving Us From Assholes
No. FFS, people need to learn there are mute buttons in shooters. Yes, there are infantile losers and people who appear to have grown up with parenting via 4chan who abuse voice chat. But if you're too lazy to click "mute all," that's on you.

5) It's Saving Us From Unnecessary Realism
Sure. For everything that is different about shooters, 9 out of 10 of them are still aping photo-realism (with requisite bro-vision slow-mo and blood splatter). There's a reason "brown-grey shooter 9" is a trope. You can show a screenshot from 5 modern shooters aiming down the sites of an M4-ish assault rifle and see very little distinguishing features between them. Purely from an art style perspective, modern shooters have gotten into the same sort hole they did back when so many shooters seemed to take place in WWII. However, saying "Splatoon's fluid mechanical gameplay simply wouldn't have been possible on earlier systems"? The mechanics of Splatoon easily could have been done last gen. Maybe even the PS2 gen.

4) It's Saving Us From Boredom
Tactically, sure. Splatoon is different. If you're bored of Team Deathmatch, it's a good place to look. But there's a lot of people who aren't, I'd wager.

3) It's Saving Us From Solo Twitch Campers
Oh dear gawd, yes. The most underrated aspect of Splatoon is probably that it puts camping in its place. (Also drop shooting, noob tubing, bunny hopping, etc.) Squidding is a fairly democratizing game mechanic, in that respect.

2) It's Saving Us From Pointless Death
I have very little regard for any of my virtual lives, so this doesn't really apply to me. But getting splatted is no different than dying, really.

1) It's Saving the Industry Itself
Nah. But it is a nice reminder that gaming's biggest genre can be more than COD, Battlefield, Gears, etc.

Koenig

The Architect
@EvilTw1n In regards to no. 2 I would say that it does help us avoid pointless death as you don't have to rush to the front lines to be useful. Being able to stay back and by extension stay alive lets players continue playing uninterrupted, while simply painting the nooks and crannies that the point players missed/ignored is enough for less experienced players to help out and gain some decent XP in the process.

In regards to super jumping: Unless you have the cloaking skill, NEVER jump to someone at the front lines. Doing so will more often than not get you killed if the player you are jumping to was splatted or forced back, and since there will be no one there to protect you, the enemy team will line up your landing spot with their weapons sights (Or rather their lack-there-of)

I just got the pleasure of playing against @FriedShoes in a round of Splatoon. His team won 49 to 41, but it was fun knowing someone else that was playing. (I did get in a couple splat kills against him though.) ;)
Looking forward to August when we can have a full TNE match!
Oh, I wasnt playing that game, was letting some little kid play it, my contribution was shouting insults in the background. I was surprised they won considering they were aiming straight down half the game.

Unrelated, I had a dream Microsoft released a Splatoon knockoff starring avatars, ink swimming and all, but instead of 4v4 it was 5v5, thus garnering praise.

Soo I turned off gyro for said child yesterday and forgot to set it back when I played a bit this afternoon.

It really fucked me over hard after spending so much time using the gyro. Luckily I was only playing single player. Anyone able to switch between the two methods easily?

BobSilencieux

It's just the Carbon Roller. It's faster than the other rollers but not as powerful and, thus, you need to spray it on your enemies
Well that's pretty f*cking smart. One thing I was going to mention a while ago was just how absolutely perfectly balanced this game is. I've never seen anything like it. There's a huge selection of different weapons to use, some of which for obvious reasons have never been seen in an online shooter before, and anybody can do well with any one of them. There is no de facto best weapon, or even best weapon type. And not being able to fully customise your loadout really makes sense, as the secondary and special weapons also factor in to the balancing.

sjmartin79

Well that's pretty f*cking smart. One thing I was going to mention a while ago was just how absolutely perfectly balanced this game is. I've never seen anything like it. There's a huge selection of different weapons to use, some of which for obvious reasons have never been seen in an online shooter before, and anybody can do well with any one of them. There is no de facto best weapon, or even best weapon type. And not being able to fully customise your loadout really makes sense, as the secondary and special weapons also factor in to the balancing.
I couldn't agree more. At first, I was kinda miffed that I couldn't switch out the special and subweapons, then I realized that it all helps to balance out the game. If a super amazing gun also had the Kraken and suction bombs, that person could be unstoppable. But this way, a negative of one weapon is balanced by a great special or some other aspect and vice versa.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
One thing I was going to mention a while ago was just how absolutely perfectly balanced this game is. I've never seen anything like it.
Yep, that's what I was waxing on earlier. The last shooter I played that was this balanced was the first few hours of GoldenEye on Wii...and that was pretty much over in about 50 hours, as people started unlocking severely OP weapons (honorable mention to COD:BO on Wii, as the default MP5K was always my favorite gun for that game). But Splatoon? I was having good matches with bone stock weapons the first day I played. Everything just works.
Still, I have no idea why they don't let you have a limited number of loadouts and the ability to switch between them in a lobby
(IE Weapon + Clothing combo's)
I do hope that the August patch spiffs up the lobby system (it's easy to get stuck waiting for a game because of getting locked in a particular lobby). Even only having three loadout slots would be nice.

Koenig

The Architect
Ive noticed that the only times I get "Stuck" in a lobby is when the Squid sisters update rolls around every 4:00 hours. The game can't find anyone to join your room because everyone else has already been updated and is no longer able to join your set of maps. Unfortunately, the only way to get back in sync with everyone else is for the lobby to time out and disband. It seems like a pretty major design oversight in all honesty, but at least it causes no permanent harm.

sjmartin79

I've never had that issue. If I start a game before the 4 hr block ends, as soon as it's done, I'm immediately taken out of the lobbies for the Squid Sister update.

Was looking forward to the Squid Beatz minigame but its really disappointing or I'm doing it wrong. Its a rhythm game, I assume, with no score or sense of if I'm doing things right or wrong. I was hoping itd be a great place to at least listen to the game's music but no music plays other than the beats you tap and press, which makes it hard to decipher what exactly is playing. Again, dont know if I'm doing it wrong but it bad. The other minis are good though, favorite is the racing one.

Oh I think this was mentioned before. That one Squid Sisters song is present in FExSMT (we really gotta find a new name for that game because it hurts every time I utter that), with presumably decipherable lyrics.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Was looking forward to the Squid Beatz minigame but its really disappointing or I'm doing it wrong. Its a rhythm game, I assume, with no score or sense of if I'm doing things right or wrong. I was hoping itd be a great place to at least listen to the game's music but no music plays other than the beats you tap and press, which makes it hard to decipher what exactly is playing. Again, dont know if I'm doing it wrong but it bad. The other minis are good though, favorite is the racing one.
Wait, minigames? What minigames?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I should have mentioned they are amiibo exclusive, only one in the game by default is Squid Jump. The other minigame is Squid Volleyball, which is like uber-basic angry birds without the physics.
Ahh...I see. Are they just tied to the Splatoon amiibos? 'cause I actually do have those but I haven't seen any mention of a minigame

Yeah, they are tied to the amiibos. Each amiibo has five unlockables: 3 pieces of clothing, a minigame and a weapon. You gotta complete the challenges.
You can play them at the arcade station in the plaza, not sure if you can play them while waiting online, have been playing single player the past few days. I think you can.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Yeah, they are tied to the amiibos. Each amiibo has five unlockables: 3 pieces of clothing, a minigame and a weapon. You gotta complete the challenges.
You can play them at the arcade station in the plaza, not sure if you can play them while waiting online, have been playing single player the past few days. I think you can.
Ahh...I see. So I need to complete all of the challenges then. Oh well, I was gonna get around to that eventually

sjmartin79

The hardest of the Amiibo challenges are the ones on the Squid Amiibo where you only have a limited amount of ink. Definitely changes the way you would normally play a level or attempt to kill an enemy. Have to be very strategic with your spray. (Hmmm, that sounds dirty.)