ミ:コ> Official Splatoon 2 Thread - Booyah!くコ:彡

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Remember guys, there are two different hours for the testfire on Friday, three on Saturday, and one more on Sunday.

All times in Pacific Standard Time:
Friday: 12 PM (noon), then 8 PM.
Saturday: 4 AM, 12 PM, and 8 PM.
Sunday: 4 AM.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Remember guys, there are two different hours for the testfire on Friday, three on Saturday, and one more on Sunday.

All times in Pacific Standard Time:
Friday: 12 PM (noon), then 8 PM.
Saturday: 4 AM, 12 PM, and 8 PM.
Sunday: 4 AM.
The first and last one I might be out on.

So central standard time it would be.

Friday - 2PM and 10PM
Saturday - 6AM, 2PM and 10PM
Sunday - 6AM

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
cannot do the first one... at least I don't think so... will definitely try and do at least 3 of them

Friday - 8 PM, Saturday - 4 AM, Sunday - 4 AM

will probably be these

if I play any of the others it means playing in handheld mode

Ive been looking forward to Splatoon 2 after not buying the one on wiiu.

I even have my switch in work today with my phone as a portable hotspot waiting for servers to go live for the testfire!

*edit*

just noticed the times for the testfire.... so it wont be live while im in work lmao

Goodtwin

I was able to play for 40 minutes at work. Looks and plays great. My rocket launcher special was weak as he'll though.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
My thoughts so far:

The game feels as fun as ever. Moving around, climbing, shooting, reloading, all feels just like it does in Splatoon 1

The controls are mostly the same, with the exception of pressing B to jump, where it used to be X. Now, X is used to bring up the map on the screen. Using the right joycon alone for gyro aiming felt weird to me at first, but once I got used to it it felt very nice. It's WAY better than in Breath of the Wild*. I did have to back out of the lobby several times to get the right sensitivity settings, but what I ended up with felt very natural and reliable. I did also try using the joycon cradle, but I went back to using the joycons separately soon afterward. I think either way could be good, it just comes down to your preference and your familiarity with the button positions.

The weapons were all the same weapons that the Splatoon 1 testfire had, though the dual SMGs have replaced the Splattershot Jr (no idea whether the Jr will be in the final game). The Splattershot felt identical to the first game, no changes. The other weapons all have some kind of secondary function that makes them a little different from what we're used to. The roller still splats horizontally, but by jumping you can splat vertically which allows you to squid forward more effectively; the charger can conserve some charge while you squid, allowing you to reposition for a clear shot; the dual SMGs have a roll that not only is good for dodging but also increases your rate of fire and accuracy momentarily (but also has a cooldown before you can move again, allowing for punishment). The secondary weapons were all classics except for the hockey puck, which is essentially a modified seeker that bounces off walls instead of following enemies.

The specials are all brand new. The fire-and-forget rocket launcher (I'll call it FAF from now on) can lock on enemies withing your field-of-view, and though it only kills hapless squids that aren't actively trying to escape it, it's always a good way to apply pressure on opponents so you can move in, escape, paint freely, or whatever you want to do with your free time. The ground pound kills everything in a radius around the player, and can be used to punish attackers, as an ambush tool, or as a last-ditch survival effort. The jetpack also gives you a blaster that travels until it hits something, and can be used to surprise enemies in high ground, put pressure on enemies from far away, help teammates that are in the middle of a fight, or whatever else you can think of when flying above your enemies with an RPG. Then there's the deathray, which goes through walls and can be slowly redirected while shooting it, but leaves you vulnerable to flanking or getting rushed down for 5 seconds or more.

And finally there are the maps. Right now there are only two maps, and they're both kind of in-between the smaller maps of Splatoon (Wall-Eye Warehouse) and the larger ones (Hammerhead Bridge). There's two or three routs to leaving spawn, there's a slightly high area in the center, a few slightly low areas around it, they are generally open, and the closer you get to the enemy spawn the more vulnerably you become to getting shot from the high ground or you become unable to escape due to grates. I think they chose these two maps because all four weapons can be played effectively in them.

Lastly, you still have to back out of the lobby to change weapons (huge bummer), and the maps are still selected randomly rather than with a vote. Either way, I can't wait to play more throughout the weekend.

*In Zelda, gyro aiming feels just a little wonky because the game seems to ignore gyro movements under a certain threshold. That means that if your hand drifts slowly in an angle and speed that's too slow, the game won't register it, and you'll end up with a center-of-aim that has drifted in some direction, and may throw off your aim next time you have to shoot at something. In Splatoon, every tiny little movement is registered, which means there is effectively zero drift in your gyro. Note that this doesn't mean you need super fine motor skills to aim properly - the gyro aiming sensitivity setting in the game can be increased or decreased without affecting the actual reliability of the gyro sensor. I don't understand why Breath of the Wild implementedgyro aiming the way it did, but it's trash compared to how it feels in Splatoon 2 (and 1).

Its fun.
Still PRAYING that the lobby system isnt typical "cant change weapons between matches" and random, scheduled, map garbage system. You could change weapons in between private matches, it cant be that damn difficult.

Fuck.

I can deal with weapon loadouts being handled how they've always been handled, whatever. Stats, whatever. Just give me some relief with maps.

Anyhow, other than that, fun time. I still enjoy The Reef a lot as a map, nice and tight and straightforward. The Musselforge gym stage I need more time with. I liked tossing my curling bombs around in that map, but otherwise I dont like it a whole lot. There's a lot of corridors and grates that you can just fall through. Grated walls too, I sui'd a good number of times accidentally hugging the wall in the beginning and slipping out of the map. Pain in the ass to use the Inkjet here as well, because of how the floors are sloped and shit. You'll either fall to lower than you want to and inkbomb uninkable walls or fly over the walls and sink below the map and die. Takes more thought than I'd like.

Dualies are still fun but I'm starting to sour a bit on the range and spread, which is weird. Still, I enjoy the dodge and firefights I've gotten with it. I tried out the Charger last few matches and kinda fell in love with it. Dont know why, might have been a combination of the maps and the effective gyro but I was able to use that pretty well. It was very fun to shoot Inkjetters out of the sky and 360 no-scope crippled Dualies. I did get into a little bit of a CoD mindset here, as I hit the "melee" stick thinking I would knife someone close range. Instead I activated my slow, barely mobile, Stingray special. Guy got behind me and casually got a freebie off of my carelessness. The Stingray is pretty cool, but tough to use. Its gonna take knowing a map and looking at the map if you want to use that well. It does work well with a Charger loadout, I have to say.

Fun time, will play again, still Splatoon, hopefully the bad things change for the better.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
So splatoon 2 was a bad experience for me

Because family was around I had to play it handheld style... Which just doesn't work for me... especially with the control layouts, am I the only one that really likes both analogs on top, wii u style?

I also feel that I need some sort of grip for the system... Something that basically adds the joycons grip handles... Because without them, but supporting the weight of a system, my hands have to sit in a very unnatural position... Larger on (4am) I'll play it on the TV... Trying it with the grip, and also with each controller free...

Another issue I had was the button placement changes, and the R stick which seemed to have much less functionality... Seeming to only work in horizontal movements, and moving very slowly.... I also had a lot of coronation issues and had several Internet connection problems

So overall, not a great experience, hoping for better at 4 am....

To note, zelda is also high unplayable for me in handheld mode.... I really need some kind of grip for the system... I would be happy with something virtually identical to the ear grips on the joycons grip which is comfortable for me

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
If you mess with the face buttons and twirl the sticks in the waiting screen, it modifies the background music! I was just screwing around when i noticed that. :p

Nintendo.
Noticed this and loved that touch.

- rollers offense nerfed a lot. They very much have made that a Bob Ross weapon which isn't always ideal because at some times you need to kill someone.

- the super jump and map button could have been non existent.

- the new buttons the way they are mapped will take me some getting used to.

- looks and feels amazing super silky smooth again

- love the music and sounds

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The second time was more fun for me than the first. Getting to know the maps better helped a lot. I started having a better idea of where to go and what to do at the start of a match, rather than running around blindly. Also my controls felt great now that I've gotten used to them and got comfortable with my gyro sensitivity. It's still no Mouse or Wiimote, but it's fine.

I kind of agree that the rollers are a little weaker right now, but personally I love the extra mobility and range that vertical splashing give you, and the fact that you can swing the thing more often. Thankfully it is still a one-hit kill if you actually hit someone with the roller (not just the ink), because otherwise you'd just be SOL if someone runs straight to you. Also I'm not sure if I'm right on this, but I think you move a little faster when rolling now than before. All in all, I think it's more fun now than it was for me in the Wii U game, but that could change in the final game.

I got more used to the splat charger as well, and did better with it. I'm not really making use of its charge conservation thing, but I'm just abusing its range and making sure I'm in a safe spot when using the deathray.

The akimbo SMGs are still hard to use, they're much an all-or-nothing kind of weapon. You have to be at the perfect range to deal good damage - too far and you won't reach, too close and you'll only hit half of your projectiles. Using the roll aggressively is good when you know you can get the kill, but if you miss you're probably dead.

The Splattershot is still my favorite weapon. It's so reliable, it kills fast and with precision, and the FAF rockets can really spook opponents, even if they won't often get a kill.

Lastly, like Matt said, the game is silky smooth and beautiful.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So I'm already scared of snipers. And I don't even have a Switch.

https://twitter.com/thicctac/status/845567935523557376/video/1
Don't be friend, for everyone 1 awesome sniper, there are 1000s of terrible ones.

In this testfire, I haven't come across one sniper that is worth there ink. There still a highly specialized class. Now I'm not saying you won't play against a sniper like "Eggers" every now and again, but there so few and far between it Dosent matter.

Also long story short I really enjoyed the roller better today. It's still nerfed on offense, but that just made me more sneaky and creative with my routes today.

Chargers are so damn cool in this game, I dont know why, it pretty much works the same as it did in the first game (I imagine). I think it has to do with the maps, nice perch spots to spread it all around. And the Stingray compliments it very well. If I could get a decent subweapon with it (I'm very fond of the new curling bomb), I think it'll continue to be in my rotation.

There might be 1000s of bad ones out there (like me), but they are all learning. Didnt take long for me to break into 6 kills with 360 no-scopes :^)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Chargers are so damn cool in this game, I dont know why, it pretty much works the same as it did in the first game (I imagine). I think it has to do with the maps, nice perch spots to spread it all around. And the Stingray compliments it very well. If I could get a decent subweapon with it (I'm very fond of the new curling bomb), I think it'll continue to be in my rotation.

There might be 1000s of bad ones out there (like me), but they are all learning. Didnt take long for me to break into 6 kills with 360 no-scopes :^)
Proud of you

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So I'm already scared of snipers. And I don't even have a Switch.

https://twitter.com/thicctac/status/845567935523557376/video/1
This is really exciting for me, though, and I don't mean as a sniper because I suck with the sniper. Other weapons also have new ways of using them, like the vertical splash with the roller. I can't wait to see how other players make use of these new abilities, and what kinds of abilities other weapons (like the bucket, splatling, etc) have.

So I'm a bit mixed about the gyro.
Maybe I'm just more used to Zelda now. In the first Splatoon, was it possible to look vertically with the right stick in addition to the gyro? I feel like I work much better if that setup were used, mostly in portable mode since its just an extra step to get used to.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Maybe I'm just more used to Zelda now. In the first Splatoon, was it possible to look vertically with the right stick in addition to the gyro? I feel like I work much better if that setup were used, mostly in portable mode since its just an extra step to get used to.
The first thing I did in this game was turn that trash off. :msick:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
After playing Spla2oon on Switch with the Joycons split, I am now a believer in Gyro aiming....

Where as on the Gamepad, it felt awkward and very unnatural to me....

On the Split Joycons, it feels like playing Splatoon with a Wiimote/nunchuck combo, only better, because you have that right analog stick for all your big movements, all while using Gyro to precision aim....

It feels very natural in this setup....

In the first I had to move the whole damn Gamepad around to use this feature....

In Spla2oon, using the split Joycons, it's more like a subtle wrist movement....

Feels great, and accurate to boot....

God Bless Gyro aiming....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The first one didn't let you use the right stick for vertical movement while you were using gyro, either.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
We got back to our hotel around 10:30 last night so I was able to get in on the 11pm Global Testfire. I played in Handheld Mode.

I was very impressed. First round I was a little rusty, but the next two rounds my team won, and I was the high scorer on one match and 2nd on another.

For me, the handheld gyro controls were amazing. Everything was intuitive and silky smooth. It all just made sense as I was playing .

I like the two new maps. Sometime when I haven't been on the go for 14 hours and walking 12 miles, it will be nice to explore those maps when rested and with a clear head.

In summary, I'm very excited for Splatoon 2, and I fully believe in playing it portably.

Goodtwin

Looks good to me. Splatoon never had maps that I really didn't like. I had my favorites for sure, but there weren't any real duds in my opinion. This new map has a cool look to it. Lots opportunities to squid up a ramp and jump out guns a blazing. I know some have criticized Splatoon 2 for not introducing much in the way of new concepts and elements, and while I do think Nintendo is holding back some surprises, Splatoon already had a winning formula. Just like Nintendo didn't reinvent Mario Kart over and over, small changes here and there with new maps is all that is really needed. This is much better for us than a Splatoon Deluxe where we have already played the original for 100+ hours. I'm satisfied with everything I have seen so far.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
http://gonintendo.com/stories/279692-splatoon-2-map-rotation-time-cut-to-2-hours
“We feel that part of the gameplay is actually selecting which weapons would be best for that combination of two maps.
In Splatoon 2, the maps rotate every two hours, so it’ll be a much faster cycle than the previous game.”
:mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm:
I'm very confused to see so many defend this move.
I mean, I get that they have this idea on choosing weapons that are tailored to the map.

...but it's an idea that utterly falls apart for anyone who has played the game. You learn a weapon, and you can then use it anywhere, in a variety of settings. It's why rollers are on every map, fer Chrissakes. This a terrible excuse for limiting the maps and weapon selection.

Maybe they want to make it accessible to newcomers, so they don't have to deal with constant weapon swaps and a steep learning curve for routes due to random map selection. If so, they should just say that.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
http://gonintendo.com/stories/279692-splatoon-2-map-rotation-time-cut-to-2-hours
“We feel that part of the gameplay is actually selecting which weapons would be best for that combination of two maps.
In Splatoon 2, the maps rotate every two hours, so it’ll be a much faster cycle than the previous game.”
:mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm::mfacepalm:
I'm very confused to see so many defend this move.
That's really shitty. Even then, I wouldn't have minded too much as long as we were able to switch weapons in between matches (or during the match), but apparently that's too serious. I want to hold on to my hopes that these limitations won't apply for the ranked mode, but I should know better.

I really don't know where they get this idea that people look at the stage selection and switch their gear and weapons for those two maps specifically. In reality, people never switch off the gold dynamo and ninja squid, no matter what. The strategy shouldn't be about picking weapons for the maps, but about counterpicking to deal with enemy players.

Koenig

The Architect
Have they announced much in the way of new features/modes in this game so far? I have not kept track of Splatoon 2 much since its announcement.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So there was a Famitsu interview where the producer and the director of Splatoon 2 talk about yet again not allowing voice chat with randoms. They haven't said that this is different for ranked mode, so I'm assuming that it will still be the case in ranked mode, which means that most ranked matches will still be an unorganized mess.

http://nintendoeverything.com/more-...s-voice-chat-wont-work-with-random-strangers/

I replied with this in the comments section of NintendoEverything, and I'm only reposting it here because I didn't want it to get lost in the ether, and obviously the discussion here is better.

"The mute button exists. If you ever find yourself playing an online game where some dude starts griefing and screaming obscenities into the mic, you can press start and mute them. Or if you just don't want it in your game, take 20 seconds to go into the sound menu in the options and turn all voicechat off.

But team-based competitive games ARE better with voice chat. The team that communicates more effectively with their teammates has a big advantage over their opponents. This is true even in games with randoms, such as in Overwatch's ranked mode. For a lot of us, this also makes the game more fun. Now, maybe you don't care at all about playing with a competitive mindset, which is fine. But some people do care, and clearly Nintendo acknowledges that by including a ranked mode in their game as well as by having used a competitive setting as an example of how to play Splatoon on Switch during its reveal. Communication is a skill, just like learning to use a more effective control method (mouse and keyboard or gyroscope vs dual analog), or learning to counterpick according to the map selection and the enemies' weapons and strategies. The whole point of having skills to develop is to have fun doing so. It's really not like limiting the amount of skills that players have access to somehow maximizes the amount of fun that everyone is having. In reality, the people that don't care that much about the game couldn't tell the difference anyway, but the people that do care end up with a game that they recognize as more shallow than it could have been. So why would you want to limit those players' experiences, if it doesn't really affect you? Your reason shouldn't just be, "because I'm incapable of finding the mute button on either the scoreboard or the options menu."

To be perfectly honest, Splatoon is still great because of the same reason that most Nintendo games are great: they have very well designed and polished core mechanics (moving and shooting, in all their forms, are expertly woven together in many ways). But one can acknowledge that while also acknowledging that Nintendo is way behind other companies like Blizzard or Capcom when it comes to giving their games competitive depth."

hold on, this is a good one
"Yeah, but having voicechat can also slow things down, especially for people barely hitting the minimum required internet speeds. I mean... I can understand the "just mute it argument" but if the voicechat can introduce lag and connection issues for some...

I mean, I'd just do without it."
is that even fucking true? People with tech knowledge, pls respond.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
hold on, this is a good one
"Yeah, but having voicechat can also slow things down, especially for people barely hitting the minimum required internet speeds. I mean... I can understand the "just mute it argument" but if the voicechat can introduce lag and connection issues for some...

I mean, I'd just do without it."
is that even fucking true? People with tech knowledge, pls respond.
No tech knowledge here, but I've looked at my internet traffic while playing overwatch and street fighter, and they take no more than a few dozen KB/s both download and upload, it's really a trivial bandwidth (the only time a lot of data is getting downloaded our uploaded is when starting a match, or when the match has ended, which coincides with platter data and match results being received from and sent to the game servers). Voice chat while gaming has been a thing since the early days of counter strike, if not before. Remember even Metroid Prime Hunters had voicechat, on that tiny, ridiculously weak hardware. Bandwidth is not a real factor in having voicechat in games these days, if it ever was.

It's not like Nintendo are the only ones that forego voice chat in their competitive games, since at least Riot does the same with League. But that doesn't excuse either of them.

Koenig

The Architect
I can testify to voice chat making games more fun. MH3U? Even CoD Ghosts? My all time favorite multiplayer memories come from those because I could actually speak to my friends and teammates, adding a whole new dimension to the experience.

Where as arguably superior games like MH4U, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros and the like all fell flat for me in regards to multiplayer because I could no longer share the experience with my friends; the fun of playing with friends was sterilized and bleached into oblivion. It is strange that the stalwart of local play (Nintendo) simply do not grasp this concept, and continue to snuff out such an important aspect of the multiplayer games.

I have absolutely no respect for anyone defending the exclusion of voice chat in this day and age. There is absolutely no valid argument to defend it when voice chat is a perfectly viable option on the hardware in question.

It's not like Nintendo are the only ones that forego voice chat in their competitive games, since at least Riot does the same with League. But that doesn't excuse either of them.
Although at least in Riot's case, Players can still communicate via keyboard. Granted that is still not a valid excuse not to have it. With Nintendo it is generally worse however, because we don't even get dialogue options with the rare exception of an extremely finite number of pre-created messages.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
LEAGUE MODE! We can make a freakin' TNE team now! Time to dominate!

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/06/28/a-league-battle-mode-is-coming-to-splatoon-2/

There’s a new mode in Splatoon 2 called League Battle. This will be a mode that players can play either in groups of two or four, and it will present you with a two-hour period in which your group competes with other groups to see how many points you can earn. Because the results of that League Battle play will be displayed in a ranking at the end of every two-hour period, we can give players goals to strive for, and hope to encourage them to keep competing and pushing.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.