18 years later...

Ex-Actarus

I was invited to one of my old friend wedding this past weekend. The last time I saw him was... 18 years ago ! So it was a bit weird, because so much has changed and so much is the same. We spend 3 days talking about the past, the present and future. That was so cool. As Star Wars fans, we definitely spend a lot of time discussing about Episode 7, but we spend the other part of the time discussion videogames...

And that's why I've created this thread. Imagine you have a friend, you were playing the SNES and Playstation 1 in 1995/1996 and today, you have the Ps4 and the Wii U around. Some many things have happened the videogames world since then... That's crazy !!!

So 2 big takeways from from this...

1. He's not a hardcore gamer any more...
We used to spend HOURS playing videogames nearly every weekend in 1995 and 1996. We played tons of SNES games ( especially DBZ Super Budoten 2 ) and ALL the major early PS1 games. But today, my friend is playing an obscure japanese Dragon Ball Z games on an Android tablet...

2. Not a console gamer any more...
He just plays Android games and some PC MMOs ( as SWTOR obviously... ). He plays them casually.

Do you have old friend who took the same route ? I mean drifting away from consoles and going to tablets or PC ?

That's just funny to see how crazy we were about games, but today we've drifted away from each either.

But it's great to see we're still good pals after ALL this time :)

May the Force be with my friend and his family :)

Hmm I can't think of anyone like that, well, I suppose my friends play less Nintendo stuff then at the beginning of my High School years about 7 years ago. I could imagine this being quite strange though.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I do, actually. I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in like 6-7 years this past November. Growing up I'd go over to his house all the time, and we'd play a bunch of PS1 games. This was in Mexico, so piracy was rampant, and he had like a million games cause they were cheap as hell.

So, back in the day we would play all sorts of games everyday, like Marvel Heroes vs Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Klonoa, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, and a TON of JRPGs like Breath of Fire, Grandia, etc etc etc. Then he got a PS2, and he kept playing all sorts of awesome games, Contra: Shattered Soldier, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X (he brought it everyday to my house so I could translate the story and dialogue cause I knew English and he didn't), and so on and so forth.

This time, though, we started talking a bit about games and it turns out he doesn't play many games anymore. Among the few that he's played is Bioshock Infinite, which he loved, but outside of that he plays stuff on Facebook, like that Marvel Avengers game. And I don't think it's because he doesn't appreciate complex games anymore, but rather that he just got really busy with life to dedicate time to gaming as sort-of-serious hobby.

Anyway, great thread, I hope to see more responses from the 25-and-over, umm, "experienced" crowd.

Cyan

I'd say I'm basically like that myself, honestly. I don't play games too much anymore, though I'm trying to fix that, lol. I hope MK8 can help me overcome my non-gamingitus.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
I was introduced to console gaming at a childhood friend's place who lived on the same street growing up. It was through him that I learned what a home gaming console was (NES) and first played Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Ghosts and Goblins, The Legend of Zelda etc. Our family never had a NES, but I had a ton of exposure to console gaming at this friend's place.

He was one of those kids whose parents really spoiled him when he developed an interest in something, so he was constantly getting new games and systems - in addition to his NES, he wound up with a Sega MS, TurboGrafx16 etc. then onto Genesis and Neo Geo and SNES and so on (only child, but still). I suspect a side effect of this buffet exposure to console gaming at his place was that the kids on our street didn't know there were console wars, I personally didn't know there were playground disputes between Nintendo kids and Sega kids, I learned about that in 2011 when I joined an online forum (thanks, internet!). We spent many hours on weekends and after school playing at arcades and at his place (NES in particular) in the 80's, and even did some gaming jointly into the Genesis and SNES era with fighters and brawlers.

We drifted apart by highschool, but when I'd last known him around grade 10 or so, he was still the guy other kids on the street would borrow games and systems from. Fast forward a lot of time. We hung out for a night a few years back, just as I was entering my current phase of hobbyist gaming (which really only dates to 2010), and I was kind of looking forward to hearing that he was still into games and what he'd thought about all the years that had ensued since we'd last wasted afternoons and evenings playing 1942, Castlevania, Double Dragon, Zelda and Golden Axe. Turns out, not much. He pretty much lost interest by the N64/PS1 generation, and never really looked back. He'd didn't own a Wii or PS3 or 360 or PSP or DS/3DS - none of it. Can't say I wasn't a touch disappointed, but that's the thing about growing up. It takes all sorts of twists and turns, you can grow together with interests and people, or apart just as easily (probably more so).

Gaming's a major time sink, a luxury that can evaporate before your eyes as the responsibilities of adulthood pile up, or as new interests take the place and channel the passions the old ones once held. I've lost interest in it for years at a time myself, and probably will again. It's more social now though, and more convenient to access that social dimension, I believe that has stronger potential to keep people gaming later into life provided those around them do as well (certainly more than introducing laughably "mature" plots into vaguely interactive movies).

Last edited:

Ex-Actarus

Very interesting to see you had familiar stories @repomech @juegosmajicos .
But what I'm wondering the most after seeing my friend is... Will this happen to me as well ?
I'm starting to believe it's going to be the case.
And maybe, as for @CyanPrime , it's happening already...

For example, the Witcher 2, this is a game I really like. It's the kind of games 10 or 15 years ago, I would have probably finished by now. But I don't think I will have the energy to. Because I don't have as much time ! Between work, internet, writing, forums ( pretty much only Nintendo Enthusiast these days ) , the gym, cinema and girlfriends ( yes in that order... Unfortunately :) ; I don't have time, to spend like 30 or 50 hours in a game, if I do, I'd better not being stuck otherwise, I'll move on to another game ( that's why I stopped playing Luigi's Mansion 2 ).

Likewise, I lost the appeal for tougher challenges in games. I played Vanquish in easy mode ( relax mode I think ). I just wanted to have a blast and I did. I tried the higher difficulty and I stopped because I wasn't enjoying it anymore. If a game is to difficult or if I'm stuck, I move on... I was never doing that before !

Finally, I don't feel the same passion for videogames I used to have in previous gens. It's been 18 months that the Wii U is out and I still don't have it. This would have been unthinkable in previous gens... I still don't have a Xbone either... E3 is just around the corner and I don't feel the same excitement. This is maybe related to an 8th gen that is less appealing that the previous ones, but maybe it's a sign that I will, in few years, end up like my friend... That's kind of sad... :(

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Gaming's a major time sink, a luxury that can evaporate before your eyes as the responsibilities of adulthood pile up, or as new interests take the place and channel the passions the old ones once held. I've lost interest in it for years at a time myself, and probably will again. It's more social now though, and more convenient to access that social dimension, I believe that has stronger potential to keep people gaming later into life provided those around them do as well (certainly more than introducing laughably "mature" plots into vaguely interactive movies).
That's an excellent insight.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@Ex-Actarus

Which is worse ending up like your friends and your hobby slowly fades?

Or ending up like me at 35 with family, business and kids. Making sleep your suffering point for your hobby? While also talking about games on a forum trying to keep up with gaming community.

:mconfuse:

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Pretty much all of my friends who I played videogames with growing up became less interested in them by the end of high school.
I've lost interest in it for years at a time myself, and probably will again.
Same here. With my Wii, from time to time I went months without playing. Were it not for MH, I'd probably be doing the same thing with my Wii U.
I have some friends who claim they're too "mature" for gaming.

Biggest. Bullshit. Ever.

God I hate how some people associate maturity with gaming.
I don't think it's accurate to associate emotional maturity with not playing games; I think the inverse is true. You grow up, become more secure with yourself, and don't give a damn if gaming is "mature" or not (a bit like how most teenagers would do anything but watch a Disney movie, but by the time they're older, they're back to appreciating Pixar).

But getting older does give you other priorities that distract you from gaming, as Repo said. If the choice is "buy new games" or "pay the electric bill and get an oil change," you do the latter.

I can't ever see myself stop gaming, I just love it too much. Maybe when I'm 60 or something lol.
Actually I image that when we're all retired that's when we're going to be gaming a lot more. Imagine you're in a nursing home with nothing to do...pull out some games! It'll be like being a teenager again, just without all the sexual tension.