3 days in, and my PS3 purchase has already been justified

BobSilencieux

So i spent around £200 on a PS3 and a selection of 7 games. Yesterday afternoon, the 6th of those 7 games landed on my doormat. Like all the others, it had only cost me around £10 (brand new of course - slighty older games are incredible value) and in fact, this particular game is a sort of compilation disc - 5 games on one disc - so in effect i only spent £2 on this game, the game that has instantly rendered my £200 outlay #WORTH IT#.It's crazy to think that Portal had existed out there in the wild all these years (released in 2007), and that i had even been aware of it and interested in it (to the point where i had watched some videos of it and decided i'd like to play it), and that i had thought i'd known enough about the game to be confident in my belief that i would enjoy it, AND that i had in fact had a very good grasp of the game's core concepts (create portals in test areas, manipulate objects and the environment around you to solve increasingly fiendish puzzles in a "First Person Puzzle Game")... and yet the game still managed to wholly, utterly blow me away.

I don't even really know what to say. If you've played it, i'm just going to have to assume that you know what i mean; if you haven't... GET ON THAT, SON! (Particularly as i foresee *SPOILERS* on their way in the next paragraph or two.) I was right about the puzzle-solving: it started off nice and simple before gradually introducing more complex mechanics to the whole portal-shooting paradigm, but HOLY SHIT was i wrong about the overall structure of the game. How the fuck was this kept a secret from me for 6 fucking years?! For starters, the game has the brilliant BRILLIANT humour that reminds me of one thing alone: Douglas Adams. (I'm paraphrasing, but, "Failing in this test area will result in a bad mark being put on your permanent record, followed immediately by death." Oh, and the sentry guns with cute little girly voices who say "i don't blame you" when you disable them.)

But the main reason i'm even writing this - the reason i'm still writing this when i'm already late for work today - is the overall structure of the game. I was sitting so oh so smugly at this time yesterday thinking to myself how right i was about the game (i was expecting a sort of glorified proof of concept (like "oh hey we've got this great idea for a game mechanic (the portal gun) and we need a game to build around it," "hey, so why not set it in a research facility and then you can have all the space-bending puzzles you want, without any real need for context!") and that's exactly what i was getting) but then BAM!
out of nowhere they completely change the rules of the game. Suddenly there's a thrilling narrative. There's a whole load of crazy shit going off that you were totally unprepared for. And you stop for a moment (at least i did) and question yourself: was i supposed to be able to do that? Did i just break the game?

These guys know how to make a fucking video game. One small back room in Portal is instantly more *EPIC!!*
than all the explosions in every AAA shooter released this year or last. This is why i play video games. In my younger days i would have stayed up literally all night playing this game, but i'm a grown-up now and i knew i had to work today. I went to bed at 4am.

BobSilencieux

I have way more to say (of course i do!) but i'm gonna have to cut this short for now, because i am now really really late for work. Everbody feel free to add to the Portal praise in the OP... :)>-

You bought a PS3 to play Portal...? :-/

He didn't buy it just for Portal, 8-} He's already bought six other games and he'll probably get more later. He's just impressed by Portal since he hasn't played it yet.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
He didn't buy it just for Portal, 8-} He's already bought six other games and he'll probably get more later. He's just impressed by Portal since he hasn't played it yet.
I was making a sarcastic joke.... God nobody has a sense of humor around here latley.... #-o If I make a remark such as this just automatically assume I'm not a fucking retard and am instead just pretending to be.... :>

I was making a sarcastic joke.... God nobody has a sense of humor around here latley.... #-o If I make a remark such as this just automatically assume I'm not a fucking retard and am instead just pretending to be.... :>
I did assume you didn't really think that but it wasn't put in a funny way so I just replied as normal.
~:>

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

I did assume you didn't really think that but it wasn't put in a funny way so I just replied as normal.

Most of my jokes are not funny.... :O)

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Portal is amazing.
I totally feel you on one small room being more epic than all the flashy jazz of other big AAA games. Fuck cutscenes and fancy camera angles, Valve knows how to blend narrative and gameplay better than anyone else in the industry.

BobSilencieux

@BobSilencieux What are the other games that you got for your PS3 besides Portal and Bayonetta?

So far, i've got
  • Bioshock
  • Borderlands
  • Need For Speed Hot PursuitMax Payne 3WipeOut HD
And of course, Bayonetta and The Orange Box.

And i have a very long list of games to get....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
@BobSilencieux What are the other games that you got for your PS3 besides Portal and Bayonetta?
So far, i've got
  • Bioshock
  • Borderlands
  • Need For Speed Hot PursuitMax Payne 3WipeOut HD
And of course, Bayonetta and The Orange Box.

And i have a very long list of games to get....
You know one thing you haven't got...?
Me on your friends list.... :>
What's your gamertag Bob...?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Lemme know what you think of BioShock, Bob (and man, you could have probably found a version of Infinite used that included the original!).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
And you still haven't even gotten Dark Souls L-)
Portal 2 is even better than Portal 1 in my opinion. That kind of moment you mentioned, the "did I break the game?" moment, comes up a lot in the 2nd game.

And you still haven't even gotten Dark Souls L-)
Portal 2 is even better than Portal 1 in my opinion. That kind of moment you mentioned, the "did I break the game?" moment, comes up a lot in the 2nd game.
I can back that up. Portal 2 is a million times better than 1. So I imagine you having a seizure from your body not being ready if you like the first game so much. Be careful.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Damnit, this thread is making me jealous. If only the PS3 had back compatibility, so that I could unhook my PS2.

Damnit, this thread is making me jealous. If only the PS3 had back compatibility, so that I could unhook my PS2.

You could find one of the old ones that has Backwards Compatibility. I'd be an old model though, not too ideal. If you still have your PS2 though you don't really need backwards compatibility, just keep your PS2.

you're going to love portal 2. the single player expands the story telling side of the franchise dramatically, and the co-op campaign is godlike. if you get the game on PC, there are also a bunch of valve supported, fan made levels you can download for free right off of steam. i think the pc version comes with a free copy of portal 1, as well, but i could be wrong about that.
I had to purchase these games separately unless you're talking about a bundle or deal.

you're going to love portal 2. the single player expands the story telling side of the franchise dramatically, and the co-op campaign is godlike. if you get the game on PC, there are also a bunch of valve supported, fan made levels you can download for free right off of steam. i think the pc version comes with a free copy of portal 1, as well, but i could be wrong about that.

I had to purchase these games separately unless you're talking about a bundle or deal.
They dod have a bundle deal with both, that's how I bought it.
~:>

They dod have a bundle deal with both, that's how I bought it.
Yeah you're right. I actually phrased my initial statement poorly. I bought Portal 2 and didn't get Portal 1 for free which is what I think MB was insinuating. I don't own Portal 1.