3DS drought?

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
So this holiday is a little dry for the 3DS. The easy conclusion to draw is that this is due to the release of the Wii U; it's only sensible for Nintendo to allow room for their new console to breath.

However it's a bit disappointing for someone like myself, who's holding off on the Wii U. Of course I intend to pick up Paper Mario, but that's really the only new title that I'm interested in.

I have to say next year looks fantastic though. Monster Hunter, Luigi's Mansion, Castlevania and Fire Emblem. It's just a pity I won't have much to play on my 3DS this holiday.

Anybody else feeling the 3DS downtime right now?

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I think so. The only game that interest me is Paper Mario, but I think I'm going to wait on buying it.

The blow is softened by me buying a Wii U at launch and I still play street fighter almost everyday.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
The 3DS outside of Japan has largely been a protracted drought. There was a small burst of titles clustered around last years holiday season (3D Land, MK7, Revelations - and on the outside of that window: Kid Icarus), but that's really it. Nearly two years into the system's life, this feels normal. I've mostly used it to catch up on some DS titles, since I never owned one of those. I've made my peace with the idea that this may be more of an occasional gem kind of system for non-Japanese gamers, which if nothing else goes easy on the wallet and makes the choice to put the money and time into some other interests an easy one - and hey, so long as those gems are as amazing as 3D Land, there's some great gaming ahead of us.

For myself it's all worth it if we get both Monster Hunter titles. I'm really looking forward to Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter this coming year, can't wait to see what Treasure is working on, and I couldn't be more disappointed in what I've seen from Castlevania (that specific title is basically dead to me). Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing don't really appeal to me, so I'm more looking forward to the next wave of first party announcements once those are finally cleared off deck. Maybe Advance Wars is up next?

I was looking forward to Paper Mario as well but now I'm undecided about the game. I think I'll cope with the drought by checking out some e-shop games. I've been meaning to try Shantae for quite some time.

As for next year Fire Emblem is going to be an absolute must buy for me. I really don't like the new look of the Castlevania game but if it has some nice exploration and offers a good challenge I'll probably purchase it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Our own CoV liked it a lot. I'm still very undecided about Paper Mario, though.

And I probably won't notice the drough because I still haven't caught up with many great games like Kid Icarus, but I'm sure if I was on the ball I'd be noticing it. Hopefully now that botht he WiiU and 3DS are in play, the balance of titles stabilizes a little bit for both platforms.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
There's definitely a bit of a drought right now but I still haven't picked up some titles I want for my 3DS so it's not TOO big of a deal for me. At least now I can catch up on my back log.

running_in_jam

I'm glad you guys agree. Next year is certainly shaping up pretty nicely and it must be pretty cosy to be a Wii U owner anyway.

@Repomech: Japan's been getting the real good end of the stick it seems! I'm hoping we'll see some localisation announcements for Bravely Default and Dragon Quest. I reckon we might get some more first party announcements or hints at GDC next year. I'm hoping for some news on the next Zelda or Metroid personally; I never played advance wars but I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I love a good strategy game.

Isn't Nano Assault supposed to be hitting the Europe eShop this holiday? I should look for some dates for it. I also still haven't picked up Kid Icarus, so maybe I will be busy enough!

Not really. There are still a ton of games from this year or last that I still have to play through on my 3DS, so it doesn't really matter to me personally. Even then there are the digital offerings like Crashmo and Wario Land II that I hope to pick up in the long run. I think I'm covered.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
"running_in_jam" wrote:

@Repomech: Japan's been getting the real good end of the stick it seems! I'm hoping we'll see some localisation announcements for Bravely Default and Dragon Quest. I reckon we might get some more first party announcements or hints at GDC next year. I'm hoping for some news on the next Zelda or Metroid personally; I never played advance wars but I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I love a good strategy game.
I'm surprised Squenix hasn't gone auto-localize with Bravely Default. Who was it from them that recently commented they had no plans to bring it over? There's a real window of time here where there's so little coming out for the platform in North America that you'd have the show to yourself if you brought anything of quality whatsoever over here. And yet, here we are. I no longer have any expectations.

What kind of new Metroid are you hoping for? I'd personally be down with a side-scroller. I wouldn't want to hold my breath on that, but if they do it (especially if it's hand drawn sprites), I'd be thrilled. I'm probably on the indifferent side with respect to a Prime Hunters.

As for Advance Wars, I only recently played one myself (Days of Ruin). It's very enjoyable with a ton of replay value. Reminded me a bit of a turn-based version of the Warhammer RTS games, the way single units were actually squads and the emphasis on seizing strategic points/buildings. That said, it would still take second place to the dream of a Valkyria Chronicles game coming to the 3DS.

AniGamer

TNE Clan Owner
It just depends on everyone choice of games of course. Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, Real Heroes: Fighters 3D, Sonic & All Stars Racing: Transformed and more.

Menashe

Looks like Bravely Default may be localized after all under the name All the Bravest. We'll see what comes of this.

running_in_jam

"repomech" wrote: What kind of new Metroid are you hoping for? I'd personally be down with a side-scroller. I wouldn't want to hold my breath on that, but if they do it (especially if it's hand drawn sprites), I'd be thrilled. I'm probably on the indifferent side with respect to a Prime Hunters.
I'd be thrilled with a sidescroller Metroid as well, but I also think the other:m format my work quite well. The trouble with a Prime style game is that there's really a lot of detail in those games, and I'd fear that it would be lost on such a small screen. I reckon the half-auto-aim and digital-style movement of other:m would also work very effectively.

"Menashe" wrote:
Looks like Bravely Default may be localized after all under the name All the Bravest. We'll see what comes of this.
I am excited about this.

I agree it does feel like the 3DS is lacking a good killer christmas smattering of games. Though, I have so much to play with the Wii U, a couple 3DS games I haven't even touched yet, as well as some stuff off steam. So I'm set but it does make me wonder why so many great games are launching AFTER the holiday season. I guess they just won't be done in time. Which is a pity.

running_in_jam

"Dannyboy" wrote: I agree it does feel like the 3DS is lacking a good killer christmas smattering of games. Though, I have so much to play with the Wii U, a couple 3DS games I haven't even touched yet, as well as some stuff off steam. So I'm set but it does make me wonder why so many great games are launching AFTER the holiday season. I guess they just won't be done in time. Which is a pity.
I'm still jealous of all you Wii-U owners. I am too surviving off of Steam right now though, even with the limited Mac library. I'll be a happy bunny next summer when the Wii-U gets Monster Hunter and Pikmin.

So I don't have Kid Icarus yet, do you guys think I should ask good old santa for it? I was too strapped for cash when it came out.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
"running_in_jam" wrote: I'm still jealous of all you Wii-U owners. I am too surviving off of Steam right now though, even with the limited Mac library. I'll be a happy bunny next summer when the Wii-U gets Monster Hunter and Pikmin.

So I don't have Kid Icarus yet, do you guys think I should ask good old santa for it? I was too strapped for cash when it came out.
You should most definitely get Kid Icarus Uprising! It's a really fun game and it has a ton of replay value, if you're trying to test the best difficulty level you can clear. It's humor is pretty damn good. Although, I will warn you, the controls take a little bit of time to get used to

I'm waiting on Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It was suppose to come out this month for the 3DS but now it's been pushed back to February 12th. I love the first game and I've been hearing great things about the sequel. I've never been into the Paper Mario series so I had no real interest in Sticker Star.

running_in_jam

"JcGrOoVeZ" wrote: I'm waiting on Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It was suppose to come out this month for the 3DS but now it's been pushed back to February 12th. I love the first game and I've been hearing great things about the sequel. I've never been into the Paper Mario series so I had no real interest in Sticker Star.
I've heard very good things about the console versions. The videos I've seen have made Mario Kart look a little underwhelming!

@Suppah: As you may have seen in the CT, I did actually get KI for xmas! I'm enjoying the humour personally, and I do find playing it a bit uncomfortable right now. I'll get used to it I'm sure. Would you recommend I get screen protectors? I'm not sure how easy it is to scratch the bottom screen with the stylus.

I'm still waiting on Nano Assault for Europe :/

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
"running_in_jam" wrote: @Suppah: As you may have seen in the CT, I did actually get KI for xmas! I'm enjoying the humour personally, and I do find playing it a bit uncomfortable right now. I'll get used to it I'm sure. Would you recommend I get screen protectors? I'm not sure how easy it is to scratch the bottom screen with the stylus.
That's great and nice to see you're enjoying it, even with the weird ground controls. Hopefully you'll get used to it like I did. Now, would I recommend screen protectors? Well that depends. Do any kids use it or do you at times use a bit more force than you need to with the stylus? If you're answer is a yes to any of them, then I'd recommend them. I myself don't use them but, if you feel that you need them, I'd get them

running_in_jam

Hm, I would answer no to all of those. I don't think I apply much pressure, I'm usually too cautious. I haven't had any problems thus far so it sounds like I'll be okay.

Off hand, does anybody when Castlevania's latest release date is? I know a lot of people are knocking it, but I've never played Castlevania and it looks good to me.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
"running_in_jam" wrote: Hm, I would answer no to all of those. I don't think I apply much pressure, I'm usually too cautious. I haven't had any problems thus far so it sounds like I'll be okay.

Off hand, does anybody when Castlevania's latest release date is? I know a lot of people are knocking it, but I've never played Castlevania and it looks good to me.
I do not know what to suggest. If I tell you to go play the other Castlevanias first, you're just likely going to get the newest one ruined for you. Maybe it's best that you play it when it comes out and enjoy it for what it is, then go back to the classics and find out what Castlevania is all about.

On the other hand, classics are classics, and I should permaban you until you go and play at least Super Castlevania IV.
(inb4 you permaban me.)

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
"running_in_jam" wrote: Hm, I would answer no to all of those. I don't think I apply much pressure, I'm usually too cautious. I haven't had any problems thus far so it sounds like I'll be okay.

Alright then! You're all good!

For the 3DS one, it's March 5th 2013 in NA and March 8th 2013 in EU. As for the game itself, it looks like it needs a bit of work done but not unplayable by any means. It seems a little clunky.

Ex-Actarus

I hope the fact that Pokemon X & Y is coming worldwide is an indication that Nintendo will work from now one to have games localized faster.

That's just a pity that's so many amazing titles are already out in Japan and we'ere not even sure we'll get them in 2013.

Is there ANY chances to see Bravely Default, Fantasy Life or Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney in 2013 ? With Project X Zone coming, I think everything is possible now.

running_in_jam

I'm glad to see this thread revived a little! Why am I glad? Because the drought will soon be ending!!! In the next few months we'll have:

Fire Emblem
Monster Hunter
Luigi's Mansion
Castlevania

Is there anything else to add to that? Is scribblenaughts coming soon? Animal Crossing? Nevertheless, it feels like the flood barrier is opening and I still have Paper Mario to play anyway.

@Ex: I really hope so. I've been looking forward to the possibility of Bravely Default for a while now. The thing is, with Pokemon, they have absolutely security that it will sell well everywhere. They can justify the funding for all regions from the get-go, whereas with many other titles, it's a much bigger decision. So, I can see why the problem exists. I hope it will get better, but it;s more like wishful thinking for me.

Back on topic: this is gonna be a fantastic summer for 3DS gamers!