A Wizard's Day

Menashe

Sorry, Wizard's World is actually a family amusement park event I took my family to this past Friday because Nintendo had a Yoshi's New Island truck there.

admin

Administrator
With the forum change, all of the attached images went missing. Can you post them below and I'll add them in to the OP?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think I saw the image of the snow village yesterday when I was going through the recovered images. It must have been an attachment, that's why you don't see it now.

I'm just amazed a how much you've been able to do all by yourself. Honestly, this is shaping up to be a visually impressive game solely because of the artstyle. Can't wait to see more gameplay and finally try it out for myself (hopefully on Wii U at some point).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1182912039/1902398309?token=c6b85594

Welp, here is a preview for my Kickstarter. Any feedback would be appreciated!
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/artic...-1-why-kickstarters-fail-and-how-to-avoid-it/

The kickstarter page looks a little light. For starters, backers are going to want more than just a cool poster and a t-shirt they could probably redesign themselves for less. Might want to offer download codes among other things. Pretty much, there needs to be lots of incentive for backing. For instance, if you could guarantee the game on other platforms if funding reaches a certain stretch goal, you'll open youself up to a whole new group of backers. Speaking of stretch goals, that something else your project seems to be missing. Perhaps check out some of the other successful kickstarter projects as a guide.

What if I held a contest with backers to design enemies that would populate the game? Let them know I'll have them be pretty involved with some of the content.

I'll go ahead and put in some stretch goals.

Last edited:

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Hey Pablo, I played your demo, but it didn't run so well on my old ass computer (obviously not a PC gamer). I was having some issues making some very simple jumps, but I couldn't tell if that was part of the lag or not.

One thing that did pop out to me, and wasn't part of the lag, was jumping to platform thinking it was in front of my character when it was actually off to the side. This happened in the platforming pond era before the collapsing bridge section. Be very wary of how the isometric view can skew the player's perspective.

As for your kickstarter, you have a modest goal compared to other big projects so I wouldn't worry too much about incentives. I would focus more selling why your game is worth being backed. If you really want more incentives, I think creating NPCs or other in-game objects based off high paying backers would work well.

Also, I'm aware that the music is probably not final, but that theme doesn't fit your game at all. I wouldn't put it in as part of your KickStarter.

Last edited:
Hey Pablo, I played your demo, but it didn't run so well on my old ass computer (obviously not a PC gamer). I was having some issues making some very simple jumps, but I couldn't tell if that was part of the lag or not.

One thing that did pop out to me, and wasn't part of the lag, was jumping to platform thinking it was in front of my character when it was actually off to the side. This happened in the platforming pond era before the collapsing bridge section. Be very wary of how the isometric view can skew the player's perspective.

As for your kickstarter, you have a modest goal compared to other big projects so I wouldn't worry too much about incentives. I would focus more selling why your game is worth being backed. If you really want more incentives, I think creating NPCs or other in-game objects based off high paying backers would work well.

Also, I'm aware that the music is probably not final, but that theme doesn't fit your game at all. I wouldn't put it in as part of your KickStarter.
Yeah, I'm well aware of the perspective issues. I try not have that type of circumstance happen but sometimes it's just there and I try to deal with it the best I can.

The game running bad is a huge concern for me and it's something I want to make sure doesn't happen by getting a real programmer to help me out. The game shouldn't run so slow since it's really not that complicated. I'm almost sure it's the coding. It's not exactly tight and probably uses more memory than it should. Your ability to jump is definitely affected by how it runs. It's why I'm really hesitant to even have a demo. It may run fine on mine but I really don't know the requirements for other systems and if it runs bad, the game won't play well. Besides the music, it's the number 1 concern I have and want to get working.

I have some ideas for community involvement as well. Holding enemy design contests so winners will see their creations in the game, name contests/polls so backers can help name the main character/villain, as well as in game shrines for those who've backed the most money. I'm also thinking of making a "Hall of Awesome" in the game that players can go to and see all the names of the backers, instead of just having their name in the credits.

I also appreciate the feedback here, it's of great help and gets me thinking.

Here's some reward ideas I'd like to share. This all will be in game content, exclusive to the backers. It'll be split into 3 different tiers: Wizard, High Wizard, and Grand Wizard.

Tier One - Wizard
Everyone donating will receive this reward. Instead of being in the credits, your name will be in the game at a special place called "The Hall of Heroes". It will be a spot in the game were anyone can go and view the names of all backers. Your place in the hall will be determined by the tier you belong to. Along with this, you'll receive an unlock code that gives you 5 different outfits for your wizard. These will be determined by the community and can be anything as long as it's not to gratuitous. Biker Wizard, Clown Wizard, Merman Wizard, whatever the top 5 chosen are. The top 3 of this tier will receive in game shrines with their name on them. They will be found through out the game. It will be a nice statue but nothing to crazy.

Tier Two - High Wizard
Things start to get good. Backers in this tier will receive tier one rewards but they will also get a download code/unlock code that gives them an exclusive area called "The Enchanted Realm". Within this realm they will find a magic book, "The Book of Knowledge". Within this book are all enemy models to view as well as names and a little bios for them. There will also be descriptions of each area with their history and the book will be organizes per area so for example, the woods would appear first with enemies found within that area and so on. A bios for the characters will be available as well. Winners of the enemy design contest will be highlighted as well. Like with tier 1, the top 3 of this tier will receive in game shrines. Their High Wizard statues will be a little cooler, a little more lavish and found through out the game.

Tier Three - Grand Wizard
The best tier to be in. Not only do you get tier 1 and 2 rewards but you also get an exclusive bonus mode. In this bonus mode you play as the evil wizard, making his way back to regain his castle. The roles are switched as well as the texture assets. This version will have a different look better suited for your new role. Instead of a green summer forest, it's more of a fall motif and instead of a lake of blue water, it's a lake poisonous liquid. Even the shallows of the pond are now dangerous to wade through. The top 3 of this tier will get the coolest shrines, showing just how bad ass a Grand Wizard is. As with the others, they will be found through out the game.

Thoughts? I haven't decided what the dollar amounts would be yet for the tiers.

This stuff will require a lot more work but if it's something that will seem worth it to backers, I'll gladly provide. Though I might have to raise the goal amount a little.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Those are good ideas. The Grand Wizard sounds like a lot of extra work on your part, but that makes it more of a award.

When it comes to in-game incentives like this, I think rewards that let your backers take a small role in the creative process are the best. Your tier 2 incentive is a good example. This way backers feel like they had a bigger part in the game than just giving money.

Last edited:
Well hey now! Didn't know you put up an article up about the game... so weird being addressed as Mr. Tonder:p Thanks for taking the time to write it up and stuff, I'll check out the comments.

I have a couple updates.

The in-game reward statues for the 3 tiers.

Tier One
Statue_Tier1.png

Tier Two
Statue_Tier2.png

Tier Three
Statue_Tier3.png

I also updated the Wizard and his animations.

This looks awesome, have you set a date for the kickstarter yet? If you havnt talked to Nintendo yet about becoming a licensed developer im sure we can help you get in contact with them, and hopefully speed up the process a little. Also I am creating a website to help promote indies that are targeting Nintendo platforms called www.NindyCon.com and we would love to have you and your game involved.

Thanks @CthulhiGames! I have not yet contacted Nintendo but I need to soon. Any help on this front would be great. I'd love to be involved with your website too.

I have my Kickstarter up for feedback. I reworked it quite a bit so hopefully it's an improvement over the last one. Feedback about the rewards pricing and goal/stretch goal amounts are of particular interest for me. I honestly feel I need about double what's there but I don't want to scare away backers. Hopefully asking for less but receiving over works out. 20,oook is certainly nothing to sneeze at so I'd be thrilled to reach just that. If they look reasonable then I'm good.

I'm also going to start e-mailing sites to see if the can cover the project. Should I contact them now with the info about the game and then later send them the Kickstarter link or should I wait until I'm ready to go live with it?

Anywho, here's the feedback link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1182912039/1902398309?token=f94b51cf

Last edited:
Thoughts-

1) I noticed that in your pledge levels that you didnt state that they will get a copy of the game for pledging, that alone will drive people away.

2)If you have planned exclusives I would rework them into the main title somehow via stretch goals and whatnot.

3) your $5,$25,$45 tiers should look more like $2$15$25, dont set these too high unless you think people will pay that much. Include early bird prices and try to cover the WiiU cost in the initial goal amount or even plan it as an exclusive for the WiiU and you will get allot of love from the Nintendo Community.

4) Go over everything and fix typos.

Thoughts-

1) I noticed that in your pledge levels that you didnt state that they will get a copy of the game for pledging, that alone will drive people away.

2)If you have planned exclusives I would rework them into the main title somehow via stretch goals and whatnot.

3) your $5,$25,$45 tiers should look more like $2$15$25, dont set these too high unless you think people will pay that much. Include early bird prices and try to cover the WiiU cost in the initial goal amount or even plan it as an exclusive for the WiiU and you will get allot of love from the Nintendo Community.

4) Go over everything and fix typos.
1) Fixed

2)What do you mean planned exclusives? Exclusive content with rewards or platform specific content?

3)Changed the pricing to be more attractive. As far as a Wii U exclusive, well I don't know. Would the support I'd get from Nintendo fans out-weigh the support from others who'd be interested with other platforms? The Wii U is certainly the main console platform I'm aiming for but I don't know if I want to tie myself to it in case I'd like to release it on the PS4 or One. A timed exclusive I can see and Wii U would get the game much earlier than the others (excluding PC/Mac of course). Right now I'm focused on just getting the game done for PC/Mac but I tried to convey the fact I really want a Wii U version. As a Nintendo fan I'd love to make it an exclusive but as a hopeful start up studio I need to get as much exposure as I can with the market to make as much profit as I can.

If it seems a good move to make it exclusive to Wii U during the funding window I can always make the change.

What's early bird prices exactly?

4)Right

Made some changes really pushing for a Wii U release but leaving an opening for PS4/X1 releases down the road if plausible. I really don't want to shut out that crowd fully in the Kickstarter.

Still need to know about early bird pricing and the exclusive stuff from point 2.

Thanks for the pointers @CthulhiGames

I'd like to use this image, showing what the game would look like on the game pad. I'm super weary of this though. Would this mock up cause me troubles?
WiiU_Wizard.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, so some more changes. I'm deciding to get rid of the "statue in the game" thing. Seems too arbitrary since I'd have multiple candidates at the same prices. Instead they'll be found in the "Hall of Heroes" better representing all those who made a donation.

Early bird pricing... here's what I'm thinking. A deal to those who donate $10 or above within the first week get all tier rewards and a special place in the "Hall of Heroes" with a fun "Early Bird" statue representing them.

Wii U exclusive content. Regardless of if it's exclusive or not, the Wii U version will have a special version of "The Enchanted Realm" that will be inspired by the Nintendo universe. Given the O.K, the Nintendo enchanted realm will feature all sorts of nods to their franchises. Much like LegoCity or Trine 2.

I've made the final adjustments to the kickstarter. Personally, I don't have any other changes I see needing to be addressed. If there's any other suggestions, please let me know. If there's any spelling or grammar issues, please let me know about those as well. I don't believe there is but I've been looking at this for so long I could easily pass over something apparent.

I've contacted Nintendo for developer certification. I don't know how long it'll be before they contact me or if they even will. Have no idea what the process is.

I'm also going to be e-mailing sites to see if they'll cover the kickstarter. Barring any major recommendations or changes, the kickstarter is ready to go live.

@Menashe if you want to cover the kickstater just let me know.

Made some more minor changes. Lowered the initial goal to 15,000, put up those concept renders of the snow village and the contests are now tied to the rewards. You'll need to be a Tier 2 or 3 to partake in the alternative costume contest and a Tier 3 to partake in the enemy design contest. I feel these are really good rewards overall.

I plan on making the Kickstarter live on Monday (5/12/14).

It's up and live!

I tried to contact a number of sites last week but haven't heard from any of them.

indiegames.com
Rockpapershotgun
DIYgamer
extraguy
indieDB
gnomeslair

So I've sent out more emails to try and get their attention.

TIGSource and Indiegamemag I'll be submitting or making a thread about my kickstarter and see how it goes. If you'd like to help get this out to as many people as possible I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm still awaiting word from Nintendo as well.

I have much PR work to do today!

That's great @Jacesonnall! Hopefully it'll help spread some awareness. I'm also working to get it out there.

Hmm, some of the comments on reddit have me second guessing the SMRPG mention in the header. Maybe that shouldn't be there if it's causing some confusion on what the game is like. The article does a great job in covering the game and explaining that but if you just see the header you wouldn't really know. You'd watch the trailer and might not see any SMRPG resemblance and be somewhat confused.

Last edited:
Yeah agreed, changed the title of the article to 'solstice-inspired'

Something someone said that I thought was interesting:

"Tagging. I thought, $25,000, no problem. Until I noticed Mr. Tonder's Biggest Dollar Tier is only $25. He's going to need to Rethink some bigger Tiers if he wants this to succeed..."

Thanks @Jacesonnall, appreciate that:)

About the dollar tiers... hmm. It was suggested I lower the amounts to entice more people. I had them higher but it's kinda too late to change them. I don't think I can offer much more and if I change them, it'd piss off those who already donated. Any suggestions for this anyone?

One thing I guess I could do is raise the reward amounts and keep the rewards for everyone who already pledge at the lower amount. My original amounts were 5, 25, 50. I don't want to get too flustered about it, it's just one comment.

Last edited:
I think I have a good solution. Since I have an Early Bird special going on, I could just change the rewards after that promotion is up. All backers up to that keep their rewards while the new structure goes into effect. Or I could just change everything and raise the early bird amount and extend it a couple days.

Here's the new rewards. They follow the same tier structure but now each tier has a levels.

$10: Tier One - level 1
-Name in the game.

$20: Tier One - level 2
-Name in the game.
-5 free alternative outfits

$30: Tier Two - level 1
-Name in the game.
-bonus item, "The Book of Knowledge"

$50: Tier Two - level 2
-Name in the game.
-bonus area, "The Enchanted Realm"

$70: Tier Two - level 3
-Name in the game.
-bonus mode, play through the game as the evil wizard Zorgamor with new texture assets and harder difficulty.

$80: Tier Three - level 1
-Name in the game.
-bonus mode, play through the game as the evil wizard Zorgamor with new texture assets and harder difficulty.
-design an alternative outfit

$90: Tier Three - level 2
-Name in the game.
-design an enemy. Give it a bio and a name. Will be featured in "The Book of Knowledge".

$100: Tier Three - level 3
-Name in the game.
-design an enemy. Give it a bio and a name. Will be featured in "The Book of Knowledge".
-free copy of the game

Last edited: