All The Things You Aren't Supposed to Talk About : Politics, Religion, & Money! && Grammar!!

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Cause shit like this happens every so often
https://www.rt.com/usa/327077-family-coma-hospital-texas/

It's cool you feel that way, most thinking adults do have tools called "lawyers" that can draw up living wills for anything, so best start signing some of those in case, God forbid, someone cares about you enough to keep you alive and hope a miracle happens.
exceptionally rare is exceptionally rare

these chances are like smaller than winning the jackpot in the lottery, and it wouldn't be a wise choice to spend all of your money and take out huge loans because "that jackpot is a'commin"

there are also very very very risky medical procedures that will almost assuredly kill the patient, but if they don't fail they could give you a better standard of living

fringe examples are really nothing to go by

I mean if you want to go by fringe example

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...wn-funeral-pronounced-dead-again-9606341.html

I think maybe in these cases doctors do need to slow the f' down... but this british case was VERY slow.

still not sure how I feel about it though, Italy was willing to take the child on, the question is, is it abusive to keep a brain dead baby alive because the parent can't accept it. Or is it negligent to remove life support at all

I mean at a certain point we can keep TONS of brain dead people who will never again function alive through artificial means

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
exceptionally rare is exceptionally rare

these chances are like smaller than winning the jackpot in the lottery, and it wouldn't be a wise choice to spend all of your money and take out huge loans because "that jackpot is a'commin"

there are also very very very risky medical procedures that will almost assuredly kill the patient, but if they don't fail they could give you a better standard of living

fringe examples are really nothing to go by

I mean if you want to go by fringe example

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...wn-funeral-pronounced-dead-again-9606341.html

I think maybe in these cases doctors do need to slow the f' down... but this british case was VERY slow.

still not sure how I feel about it though, Italy was willing to take the child on, the question is, is it abusive to keep a brain dead baby alive because the parent can't accept it. Or is it negligent to remove life support at all

I mean at a certain point we can keep TONS of brain dead people who will never again function alive through artificial means
With the advances in technology, it probably won't be uncommon in maybe 50-100 years for folks who have artificial brains, or at least ways of uploading their conscience to a computer ala the singularity. Someone who might be brain dead could be given a second chance of life (all the information is still stored in the brain after all), and be thrown into a new body, or at least have a new brain that could be wired to their exiting body. Or if someone's brain is good, but their body is broken, or non-functional, artificial body, and then we come to the age of transhumanism, which I fully expect to happen in the future in order to extend our lives beyond our natural capabilities. Granted, mostly the serious well-off will be able to afford it, and I'm sure there will be debates with folks rejecting those ideas, and staying "natural" with no augments of any sort vs. someone who is willing to replace parts of their body because they can, and they want to be stronger, better, and live longer.

theMightyME

With the advances in technology, it probably won't be uncommon in maybe 50-100 years for folks who have artificial brains, or at least ways of uploading their conscience to a computer ala the singularity. Someone who might be brain dead could be given a second chance of life (all the information is still stored in the brain after all), and be thrown into a new body, or at least have a new brain that could be wired to their exiting body. Or if someone's brain is good, but their body is broken, or non-functional, artificial body, and then we come to the age of transhumanism, which I fully expect to happen in the future in order to extend our lives beyond our natural capabilities. Granted, mostly the serious well-off will be able to afford it, and I'm sure there will be debates with folks rejecting those ideas, and staying "natural" with no augments of any sort vs. someone who is willing to replace parts of their body because they can, and they want to be stronger, better, and live longer.
They would still be dead, you don't load your brain into a computer, you copy it, your original consciousness dies, it didn't wake up in a computer, a new one with your data does. You could upload your brains data into 1000 computers and stay alive yourself, that doesn't mean you have 1001 lives, just that your memories will live on beyond you, and diversify as each entity explores new paths that differ

Shoulder

They would still be dead, you don't load your brain into a computer, you copy it, your original consciousness dies, it didn't wake up in a computer, a new one with your data does. You could upload your brains data into 1000 computers and stay alive yourself, that doesn't mean you have 1001 lives, just that your memories will live on beyond you, and diversify as each entity explores new paths that differ
What does it mean to be "dead" though? If your conscience-basically YOU, essentially lives on in a computer, or a cyborg, are you really dead? I only ask because I believe this will be a point of discussion for future generations when that time inevitably comes. But then getting more Philosophical, what will it mean to be human, or us being us? Is it our brains? Our conscience? Our bodies? All three? What is it truly?

And on top of that, when robots become introduced into society, will they have the same rights and opportunities as humans? Or will it become a place where robots become the new "slaves," being that we use them to do our bidding, but eventually they'll want to rebel, and become independent beings? I have a suspicion that in the future, maybe a century or two from now, there will be a new civil rights issue, and it'll involve cyborgs wanting to be equals with humans rather than servants to us.

Maybe I've been watching too much Television though...

I've been re-reading Ubik which has this system called cold-pacs/half-life. While we're on the possibility/scifi stuff. Its basically an advanced version of what Mister Freeze did to his wife. I love this book.

Odo

The problem is that doctors sometimes commit mistakes. A doctor might be wrong when they say that someone's brain dead. There many, not a few, many "brain dead cases" of people who just woke up a few years later.

Odo

the reason is arguable, I would say the reason is because the court system found keeping a brain dead baby alive to be cruel and so decided to override the parents, you may not agree with them... but it is clearly not money since another nation offered to cover that by moving the baby to Italy, offering it full care AND citizenship

you say nowhere int he article was a reason given, but you cna put these together

"Medics caring for him at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool have said further treatment is futile, and the toddler's life support was withdrawn Monday after a series of court rulings sided with the doctors and blocked further medical treatment."

"Under British law, it is common for courts to intervene when parents and doctors disagree on the treatment of a child. In such cases, the rights of the child take primacy over the parents' right to decide what's best for their offspring."

"The evidence is that he is unlikely to have pain, but that tragically everything that would allow him to have some appreciation of life, or even the mere touch of his mother, has been destroyed irrevocably,"

put that together and it is clear to me why it wa ordered, I am not sure I agree with the order, but I can see the reason... that the court found the parents desperation to be causing a perverse cruelty to the child

AGAIN, I am not saying I agree with them... but I can SEE where they are coming from

the money issue is irrelevant because of these quotes:

"Britain's Court of Appeal on Wednesday rejected a new bid by the parents of terminally ill toddler Alfie Evans to take him to Italy and continue his life support against the wishes of his doctors and judges."

"Alfie's parents continued their fight to take him to Italy to be cared for at the Vatican's children's hospital, which has said it is willing to take him."

"Italy has a military plane on standby to transport Alfie to Rome if the courts allow it. Alfie has also been granted Italian citizenship to facilitate his arrival and transport."

it COULD be argued that it is an issue of national pride, in that Britain has put its foot down and said no, so if Italy is allowed to take the child, and celebrated for it, or if the child somehow wakes up it will all make Britain look bad... so that COULD be argued, not money, but perhaps something that started with money and then became an issue of nationalism

I would argue that this wouldn't make sense either as the incident has spurred far more outrage, and as such, trouble than simply giving him to Italy would have done

this is the hard kind of issue I do not want to touch, because I have mixed feelings... I am pro-choice, but I am also conflicted about it

for example.. I know a girl who was sort of my childhood girlfriend (you know, before you know what that means) who has had 4 kids from different fathers, and only the youngest is still with her, the oldest is at college, the next 2 oldest are with their respective and different fathers, the father of the oldest isn't in her life at all, but before college she had moved in with a friend to be away from her mom... before this mom had her 4th child she was pregnant with a different child, the father of that child (another different father) had a bad break up with her after she was pregnant and so she got an abortion... the father was a bit crazy, and the mother, as I have shown, is very selfish and irresponsible, so that child would have had a mess of a life, but so did her other kids that got to live... so the whole situation just makes me a bit ill

I don't get all moral and holier than though about it, but I just mostly ignore the mother now, I don't outright reject her as her whole family ar every important family friends of my family, and I don't want to cause a rift because of her that will kill my relationships with her mom and sisters who I am much closer to than I was to her anyways (after childhood of course)

to me, I think the importance of beign pro choice even in this case is that women's needs are ignored in many parts of the country and world, and the second you start invading that area you cause unforeseen and bigger problems... problems that I am not equipped to tackle in any way, as such, I stay out of it, it is an issue that has yet to directly effect me, and it is an issue with merits and faults on both sides that I am unequipped to properly navigate

I feel that my place in such an argument could only cause more harm than good... as is I think the case for most of us here

I am not religious, and as such I do not feel that life is sacred in any way... I DO think that abortion should ALWAYS be a hot button issue that is constantly being reevaluated, I DO think that even if life isn't sacred, that it is an ethereal property of sorts, and shouldn't be toyed with by those who do not own it (as in, I do not own your life, so I have no right to TAKE IT or negatively affect it against your will and actions)... I also think the same applies to parents, but pregnancy is a different issue, because for me to deny an abortion to a woman is to ignore her right to protect her own life, and since i do not own her life or her future child's, I have NO say in it

but I don't also assume that a parent has the right to the life of their own child... a child is its own entity with the rights to its own life...

the question always remains as, what constitutes the shepherding of a life you do not own, and what about a life that you do not own having an unwanted effect upon yours

a life is more than just your state of being alive after all... so who the f' am I, somebody who cannot be pregnant, to tell somebody who is, what they can or cannot do for the sake of their own life, does pregnancy incur a 9 year prison sentence... and then what about in the case of rape/incest/molestation?

I think EVERYONE who takes a strong stand on either side of the issue is suffering an overwhelming amount of hubris

Actually, I was reaching a conclusion about the public health care decisions on denying of treatment. Sorry, I just write too fast.

The gov didn't let the baby go to Italy, because the gov became the owner of the child. It's clear for me.

That the particular reason for killing Alfie was that the doctors thought they're already dead, is also clear. That's why the whole thing has started. It wouldn't be the reason that I was asking for.

I was talking about the big picture in public health care systems, that's why I mentioned UK, Canada and Europe and how cases like Alfie's might become common in those countries. Public health care systems want to get rid of "brain dead" cases as soon as possible for the same reason some want to deny health care to smokers and fat people: money. They want to judge who deserves to get health care based on "life choices" and doctors decision alone. In public health care systems, if a doctor think that your case has no solution, they just deny you treatment, even when you want to try other treatments. This is all about supposedly saving money for others who had "better life choices" or those who have a better chance of survival.

I agree with you that abortion is a big deal and that people suffer in the world, that includes women. They suffer too. On the other hand, even though I suffer, I shall not kill and abortion is killing, so even though I suffer, I shall not kill the baby just because he's still inside a womb. That's the basic pro life opinion.

Although I'm sure abortion is homicide, I don't judge nor hate anyone. I know this is extraordinarily hard to understand: be against something without judging people, but I believe in principles all the same. It's a principle, if you shoot someone, you killed him. If you shoot a baby, you killed him. If you abort a baby, you killed him.

It's like hunting. I don't understand why some hate hunting while they're ok about fishing, isn't it the same thing?

If I say that I'm taking my daughter to fish, many will find it lovely, a father and daughter going to the lake to fish, right? So we'll be there killing fishes by suffocation after pulling them through their bloody throats. So lovely. However, if I say that I'm taking my daughter to shoot stags for the weekends barbecue, I'll be damned.

Odo

There are so many cases of "brain dead" people waking that it's funny. I don't even need to write cases here, just go to google, guys, pls.

The last case I read in detail was a brain dead guy whose wife didn't believe and before the doctor turn the whole thing off, she managed to transfer him to another hospital. He stayed there and then woke up. He wasn't brain dead.

That's the point, you guys think the science and doctors are gods.

If a doctor says someone I love is brain dead, I'll not allow turning off anything unless many doctors from many institutions are certain about that and I run out of money or it was the patient choice. Yes, if I don't have money to keep the patient alive, what else can I do? Otherwise, no way the doctor will say to me "it's brain dead, let's give the organs out asap" and I'll say "Yes, sir". No way.

Odo

I know one case of a baby girl close-ish to me. The doctor asked the mother to abort, because the baby would be born dead.

It turns out the baby lived for 2 years. The poor thing was awfully ill, but she lived 2 years, she was loved, she was baptised, they have pics of her 2 years of life, she had a name, she had toys, a decent funeral, a life.

Shoulder

I never said Doctors, and Science were Gods, dude, nor that they should be treated as gospels and prophets. Doctors make mistakes, and they don't have all the information, or all the answers. I suppose one way of looking at this is what is the ratio between those who are declared brain dead, and miraculously recover vs. those who are brain dead, and do in fact die? I guess, what are your statistical chances of recovering after being brain dead? Sure, even a small chance is a chance, but I'm more about being realistic here. It's not to say I'm suggesting you're wrong in this discussion. It's simply a difference in thought is all.

Odo

I never said Doctors, and Science were Gods, dude,
I've never said you said, dude, I'm just using a figure of speech to everyone here, forum members, that think that Alfie's parent's are nutties.

I suppose one way of looking at this is what is the ratio between those who are declared brain dead, and miraculously recover vs. those who are brain dead, and do in fact die? I guess, what are your statistical chances of recovering after being brain dead? Sure, even a small chance is a chance, but I'm more about being realistic here. It's not to say I'm suggesting you're wrong in this discussion. It's simply a difference in thought is all.
I guess you couldn't follow me. If you're brain dead, you're actually dead. There's no recovery from that.

However, sometimes you're in coma and the doctor thinks that you're dead. That's the case.

Like I said, the doctor told the girl to abort the baby, because the baby was dead. Brain dead. He said, she's dead, you're going to give birth to a corpse. Here's the exam, she's dead.

Then, she lived 2 years. He said, sorry, I thought she was dead, but in fact she only had some huge brain problem and her brain looked like dead.

That's why we just can't trust the good doctor like they're gods.

theMightyME

It's like hunting. I don't understand why some hate hunting while they're ok about fishing, isn't it the same thing?

If I say that I'm taking my daughter to fish, many will find it lovely, a father and daughter going to the lake to fish, right? So we'll be there killing fishes by suffocation after pulling them through their bloody throats. So lovely. However, if I say that I'm taking my daughter to shoot stags for the weekends barbecue, I'll be damned.
there are 2 kinds of hunting, and 2 kinds of fishing... the same 2 kinds... hunting or fishing for food, or trophy hunting/fishing

the thing is that it seems to skew 1 way for hunting and the other for fishing... at least in more developed nations (by this I mean people from developed nations going after bears and such in america, or going to africa and trophy hunting lions and such)... while some people do hunt for food, most seem to hunt for trophies, and while some people fish for trophies, most seem to fish for food

and the 2 "sports" are then conflated... hunting is for trophies, fishing is for food

it is trophy hunting that outrages people

that being said, there is also the adorable factor, which is why there is an uproar about tuna fishing which can also hurt dolphins, or whale hunting since whales are "magestic"

personally I get annoyed at the people that try and stop japanese whaling boats... the pacific had TONS of whales, and the west way over-whaled, for only limited materials leaving massive mostly underutilized corpses behind... the japanese on the other hand whaled for food, but now we tell them they can't... even though there own government restricts the kind of whaling they can do in order to not destroy the resource, but ANY whaling is bad for the west, who doesn't mind the wholesale execution of cows, pigs, and chickens... to me, that shows a complete lack of empathy for the way of life of a different culture, especially since it was the west that f'd up the whaling situation in the first place, like we did with the buffalo in america

but yeah...

in general (with some exceptions obviously), people aren't angry about hunting for food.. they are angry about this

and this

and this

Shoulder

I've never said you said, dude, I'm just using a figure of speech to everyone here, forum members, that think that Alfie's parent's are nutties.

I guess you couldn't follow me. If you're brain dead, you're actually dead. There's no recovery from that.

However, sometimes you're in coma and the doctor thinks that you're dead. That's the case.

Like I said, the doctor told the girl to abort the baby, because the baby was dead. Brain dead. He said, she's dead, you're going to give birth to a corpse. Here's the exam, she's dead.

Then, she lived 2 years. He said, sorry, I thought she was dead, but in fact she only had some huge brain problem and her brain looked like dead.

That's why we just can't trust the good doctor like they're gods.
You just said there are folks who were declared brain dead, and then made a miraculous recovery. So I guess you can recover from that. Or are you implying that these Doctors said they were brain dead, but in fact they still had brain activity present?

theMightyME

You just said there are folks who were declared brain dead, and then made a miraculous recovery. So I guess you can recover from that. Or are you implying that these Doctors said they were brain dead, but in fact they still had brain activity present?
I assume the latter, because he used quotation marks around "brain dead"... I imagine somebody doing air quotes when i see that

Odo

Or are you implying that these Doctors said they were brain dead, but in fact they still had brain activity present?
Yes, exactly.

If you are brain dead, you are brain dead. There's no recovery from that. You're dead.

But sometimes doctors think you're brain dead, but your brain is not dead at all, you're just in coma. All the cases of miraculous recovery of brain dead are in fact misdiagnoses. This happens a lot more than people think. Like I said, I know two cases, one baby girl that the doctor said that she was brain dead and asked the mother to abort. The girl wasn't dead, it was a misdiagnose. She was just really ill and lived for two years. Other case I read was a woman who fought for keeping his husband connected while the doctor was affirming that he was brain dead. He wanted to turn off the guy asap, saying the had proof that he was dead and keeping him connected was stupidity. She managed to move him to another hospital and after many more tests they could saw that he was in coma. He waked up later on.

There's another situation that is not a big deal (I guess) in the developed world but it is the in the third world: some doctors lie about the patient being brain dead so he can sell organs. It's more common than people think.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Ugh, another filthy excuse for a human being shot up an art room in a school in Texas today. His social media pages show a wacked out allegiance to various evils. Classic signs of sociopathic behavior (animal torture, pretend school shooting stuff, etc..). Also posted a jacket with various symbols that fall under communism, national socialism (nazism), satanism, etc.. with reasons for why he posted them. Very much hearing the call for armed personnel on campuses out here.

I've had calls/texts all day since it was an art room. Had a teacher with family in the school. The kids were fairly oblivious. Some kid brought fireworks to school today and popped them in the hall. Talk about terrible, terrible, stupid timing with all of this.

That being said, I work where there is a dress code for kids. Tucked in shirts, non loose fitting clothing, uniform shirts, etc... Definitely no hoodies ever. I remember as a kid giving hell to teachers for dress code restrictions. Nowadays I'm on the other side here. One of the biggest things that changed my mind was this:

While this may not be feasible to walk around with, it still shows how easy it would be to smuggle weaponry. These are crazy times right now. Gonna put another post I made earlier to finish up my thoughts on this shooting today that I did in response to someone joking about how he was looking forward to all the positive commentary about to happen:

"And everybody will gloss over the culture of evil this monster worshiped. If you see his social media posts then you will see various "isms" that he glorified (national socialism, communism, satanism, etc...) , open joking about school shooting, and a lust for power. Instead of focusing on how teenagers (and even young kids) are going online with little to no restraint having the seeds of evil sowed in their souls, we are talking about everything else. It's a sad time full of doublespeak and half truths."

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Shoulder

Let’s be real about this. We all know this is just the name of some military force so that they can continue to justify spending 2.1 billion dollars on one jet.

https://www.mostluxuriouslist.com/list-top-10-expensive-military-planes-world/
It is a damn fine jet nonetheless. Having seen one in person flying last year at EAA, it is a glorious aircraft. Still though, a multi-billion jet that takes its roots back to the Germans during WWII is still a lot to swallow.

I need to rewatch Broken Arrow one of these days.

Shoulder

How exactly do these tariffs help the US exactly? How exactly do they help the US Economy, US Businesses, and even Foreign Businesses who operate in the US?

If you impose tariffs on some country, they'll impose tariffs against you in retaliation, so who exactly wins in this case?

simplyTravis

How exactly do these tariffs help the US exactly? How exactly do they help the US Economy, US Businesses, and even Foreign Businesses who operate in the US?

If you impose tariffs on some country, they'll impose tariffs against you in retaliation, so who exactly wins in this case?
There is more to the picture here than trade wars.

The US has already lost tax money from multinational companies building products elsewhere and then shipping them back here. A lot of these tariffs are really a way to get the tax money they should be paying in the US and also working as a deterrent. This has turned into a way to force companies to start up in America again rather than elsewhere. Once companies move their factories, support, etc... back to the US then that boosts the economy and work force. The lowered unemployment helps US morale and stimulates smaller business growth.

Between the tax cuts to businesses and workers and the addition to tariffs on imports (along with massive amounts of deregulation) it turns the US into a place that looks very good to invest in again. Stocks are taking odd hits because multinational companies are being forced to rethink how they work. Thankfully, Wall Street does not necessarily show the health of an economy.

Shoulder

There is more to the picture here than trade wars.

The US has already lost tax money from multinational companies building products elsewhere and then shipping them back here. A lot of these tariffs are really a way to get the tax money they should be paying in the US and also working as a deterrent. This has turned into a way to force companies to start up in America again rather than elsewhere. Once companies move their factories, support, etc... back to the US then that boosts the economy and work force. The lowered unemployment helps US morale and stimulates smaller business growth.

Between the tax cuts to businesses and workers and the addition to tariffs on imports (along with massive amounts of deregulation) it turns the US into a place that looks very good to invest in again. Stocks are taking odd hits because multinational companies are being forced to rethink how they work. Thankfully, Wall Street does not necessarily show the health of an economy.
Ok, so what about companies that rely on imported goods that will now have to spend more in order to make their demand, which in turn means less profits, and even more so, less hiring? In return, they'll have to increase prices to make up the difference, which doesn't help the consumer/client.

When I look at companies like Harley-Davidson right now that are moving some production overseas because of the tariffs (there are other reason, lets be real), I wonder if that'll become more common than rare, especially those who have a good sizable market overseas. And some other foreign companies who export goods to us, they might just skip us altogether, which doesn't help anyone really since it just limits the consumer.

you know, with James Gunn getting sniped and now Dan Harmon next on the chopping block, followed by who knows, take your pick, i'm struggling.
do I have to make a baby rape joke in order to make it in comedy?

theMightyME

you know, with James Gunn getting sniped and now Dan Harmon next on the chopping block, followed by who knows, take your pick, i'm struggling.
do I have to make a baby rape joke in order to make it in comedy?
except that you probably already have, as have most people, because when we are at a certain age we as humans tend to like shock humor, everybody does it, and everybody laughs, mostly ate xactly how inappropriate it is...

the difference between this and other recent cases being that these were edgey jokes that were not aimed at anybody, rather than racist rants disguised as jokes, or direct attacks on specific people based on their race.

Shoulder

I like EVs, but sooner or later, they'll have to start paying their fair share just like normal ICE cars. I honestly don't think charging stations should be free, and if EVs are driving on the same roads as everyone else, they should still be required to pay a fee to help maintain roads.

Whether it is a flat fee for every KW/h you recharge, or simply a road tax (pay as you drive), something will eventually have to be done.

Oh, and raise the gas tax. It's been far too long.

Shoulder

Maybe I already mentioned this before, but...people are getting upset over nothing about this whole kneeling during the National Anthem business.

I'm sorry, but what exactly is the problem here? A guy takes a knee during the national anthem, and for some reason it's considered offensive, or outright demeaning? I don't understand it. People kneel for different reasons, and it doesn't make sense why doing such a thing warrants people losing their minds over it. Kneeling, at least as I understood it, was a sign of respect, or a sign of humility. I've seen it happen in the Military when an SO is speaking, when an individual is proposing to someone they want to spend the rest of their life with, or even when someone is being Knighted by the Queen of England.

I, of course, am talking about the recent controversy with Nike selecting Colin Kaepernick as their spokesperson, and now you have people wanting to boycott Nike (good luck with that), cut the tops of their socks as a form of protest (Don't see how that really accomplishes anything to be honest. Nike still has your money for the socks), and Nike's stock went down the last couple of days (it'll bounce back).

But yeah, I'm sure Nike will tank, and fade out of existence just like all the other corporations that people boycott on social media.

well he didnt do it out of respect for the anthem, for one, so get that straight. Its a protest, he doesnt respect it because he doesnt feel America is right at this moment in time, and thats fine. Sucks that he wasnt a great QB and that no one had his back, but he's a political icon and force now.
I think the pig socks didnt help, that just infuriated the right even more.

I think it s a damn shame that this is the reason people are boycotting Nike, and not the fact that they are still continuing to exploit unlawful child labor and cheaply co-opting ethnic culture to suit their own profits. But we're in a clown world.

simplyTravis

I'll have to dive into this convo a bit more this weekend, but I'll put in a thought I have about this.

I have no desire to support brands that are proselytizing politics at this point. Every time I see Nike I will have to think of this. I'd much rather take my business elsewhere than be put in the position of supporting something I don't believe in just because I buy their damn product.

That being said, Nike makes their shoes too skinny so I don't buy them. I have wide feet and they have no concept of how feet work in shoes for me. They can keep their overpriced, slave/child labor created, politically charged skinny shoes for all I care.

theMightyME

I'll have to dive into this convo a bit more this weekend, but I'll put in a thought I have about this.

I have no desire to support brands that are proselytizing politics at this point. Every time I see Nike I will have to think of this. I'd much rather take my business elsewhere than be put in the position of supporting something I don't believe in just because I buy their damn product.

That being said, Nike makes their shoes too skinny so I don't buy them. I have wide feet and they have no concept of how feet work in shoes for me. They can keep their overpriced, slave/child labor created, politically charged skinny shoes for all I care.
As a fellow Fred Flintstone footed man I share your pain, your foot pain, i can never find good shoes, my feet always overlap

Don't agree on the politics with you, but I come from the same place when it comes to our weird broad feet.

Goodtwin

Maybe I already mentioned this before, but...people are getting upset over nothing about this whole kneeling during the National Anthem business.

I'm sorry, but what exactly is the problem here? A guy takes a knee during the national anthem, and for some reason it's considered offensive, or outright demeaning? I don't understand it. People kneel for different reasons, and it doesn't make sense why doing such a thing warrants people losing their minds over it. Kneeling, at least as I understood it, was a sign of respect, or a sign of humility. I've seen it happen in the Military when an SO is speaking, when an individual is proposing to someone they want to spend the rest of their life with, or even when someone is being Knighted by the Queen of England.

I, of course, am talking about the recent controversy with Nike selecting Colin Kaepernick as their spokesperson, and now you have people wanting to boycott Nike (good luck with that), cut the tops of their socks as a form of protest (Don't see how that really accomplishes anything to be honest. Nike still has your money for the socks), and Nike's stock went down the last couple of days (it'll bounce back).

But yeah, I'm sure Nike will tank, and fade out of existence just like all the other corporations that people boycott on social media.
I said from the beginning, if you don't like it, ignore it, and it will fade away quickly. I believe people have a right to do as they wish, but people also have the right to disapprove of how someone conducts themselves. Kneeling during the national anthem has proved to be distasteful to a lot of people, and that has pushed a lot of potential supporters away. Its been devisive for sure, and how does that help your cause. These are professional athletes, they can gain an audience with major news and sports networks just by asking. I think of it like saying something that disrespects you, you tell me you didn't appreciate that, and I say too bad because I didn't intend it to be disrespectful, and even though I know it offends you now, I shall continue anyway. So I support the freedom to kneel, but also support peoples freedom to the opinion that the guys are jackasses for doing so.

Burning Nike shit is just dumb. Nike has one ad campaign with someone you dislike and now we must burn or throw away your own belongings that you spent good money on? I could care less about the marketing, if I like the product I will continue to buy it.

Lastly, people on both sides overreact to this shit. People need to learn to agree to disagree more often. Ideology is going to be very different from one person to the next, even within the same political parties.

BobSilencieux

Speaking of overreacting, I rewatched Black Panther the other night, and it's a good movie - one of the better Marvel movies - and I really enjoyed it again. It has its highs and lows but overall it's a great comic book movie.

But holy shit what the hell was everybody losing their minds over when it first came out?! White nationalists down voting it on Rotten Tomatoes, white knights calling for it to be recognized as one of the greatest movies of all time... I hope, 7 months later, these people can look back and admit what colossal jack-asses they all were, calling for Oscars and Citizen Kane comparisons.

Speaking of overreacting, I rewatched Black Panther the other night, and it's a good movie - one of the better Marvel movies - and I really enjoyed it again. It has its highs and lows but overall it's a great comic book movie.

But holy shit what the hell was everybody losing their minds over when it first came out?! White nationalists down voting it on Rotten Tomatoes, white knights calling for it to be recognized as one of the greatest movies of all time... I hope, 7 months later, these people can look back and admit what colossal jack-asses they all were, calling for Oscars and Citizen Kane comparisons.
PEOPLE WILL NEVERRRR ADMIT DEFEAT
Has anyone come out and admitted that Ghostbusters 2016 was actually fucking bad? Nope, its still certified fresh. The movie review industry in my eyes will never recover from that.

theMightyME

yeah, its a real issue

my reaction was something like

"I get that there is an entire group of people that now have not only a hero but a group of heroes and strong characters that represent the way they look, and I realize that is a powerful thing, and I am super happy for them, genuinely so. That being said, the movie isn't even in the top tier of Marvel movies.... this isn't in the same league as Winter Soldier or Guardians"

even that sparked debate.

I also didn't think Killmonger was that great of a villain, I LOVE the Actor and have since Chronicle... but I felt that the scene between his character and his dead father proved that he was just a psychopath, and not some great person

simplyTravis

I may be having too much fun fighting with all these people on r/Texas that are spamming Beto posts more than hourly. Mostly just bots and people from out of state posting. It's gotten to be such a big problem that they put a political filter on the subreddit.

I am of course having a ball with this. I haven't been able to play with satire in some time. Currently I've got a small group of people worshipping toast with his picture burnt on it and talking about the upvote praise you receive just by being close to the Beto. This can only get more fun the closer it gets to election.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Football is better when it's just football. I don't give af about the politics of the players, I enjoy the sport. They should keep that shit off the field.
Yep been agreeing with this for a long time. They wonder why ratings are down year to year, and I think the involvement of politics into sports has been the main culprit. It’s just so pushed and feels forced these days.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Wow, some of the questions on there really would show you what another person thinks of you if you're a minority.
It's probably good the results don't show answers to individual questions.

Like "Homosexuals don't deserve the same rights as Heterosexuals" or "Transgender people will never really be of the gender they would like to be".

My results came up with Equality and Humanity.
Not shockingly, I was Progressive, Rehabilitative Justice, equal mix of Internationalism and Nationalism, and equal mix of Ecology and Production.

Last edited:
Nationalism and Laissez faire are compatible. You are mixing up Nationalism with Authoritarianism. For instance, I would say that my state of Texas is very Nationalistic but very Lassez Faire in regards to laws/governance/regulation.
Neoliberal ideology is inherently internationalist. Yeah, Texas can say it's nationalist, but the fact is that they still need immigrants to meet private prison quotas and the needs of those who enforce wage deflationary manual labor.

Emigration to Spain increased tenfold after Franco liberalized the economy, and he's often said to be a nationalist.