Amiibos.....the next Ebola?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

FriedShoes

MLG
REEEEEEE-POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST
(In short, I like them and dont see the immediate harm. I will call it out when I do though)
If there was only one Amiibo line, I'd agree. But I don't think there's only going to be one Amiibo line. They're already releasing a Wind Waker Link, right after releasing non-chibi Link. I expect there will be another Link released when the next Zelda hits. And another Samus released when the next Metroid launches.

As long as it's all limited to some sort of data storage and costume unlocks, then I'm meh. Those aren't things I really care about, so whatever. But if it becomes more than that...then that's a problem. Because I'm not buying a Shulk Amiibo to get a better weapon or something in X.

But I'd be buying Samus just because I like Metroid. It's not like there's a new Metroid on the immediate horizon that would use this thing.
Wind Waker Link (Toon Link) is part of the Smash Bros line, not its own line. They havent announced any other lines and are pretty cautious with its use.
We probably won't prepare amiibo for every IP. We haven't finalized which ones we will just yet. It's tough to explain, but if there's something that particularly useful to have a dedicated amiibo for within a particular game, then we will probably create an amiibo line specifically in support of that.
You could also use Samus amiibo in Mario Kart 8 too, but you dont play that :p
Metroid could have a pretty stupid yet funny use for amiibos. You guys remember in Prime 3 you could unlock a Mii bobblehead to put on the ship's dashboard? Now expand that to this entire Smash Bros line and suddenly Samus doesnt seem so lifeless anymore.

There's implied value in the fact that "its a toy of your favorite thing", and expressed value in that its being made specifically for a little side mode in Smash Bros. Worth 13 bucks? I guess it depends on if any of that interests you. I know my cousin doesnt play any video games at all but she has those Disney Infinity characters all over her computer and DVD collection.

Right now the only slightly egregious use of amiibos, imo, are in Hyrule Warriors. Amiibo exclusive weapon is pretty lame, but its like Link's 9th weapon, so double lame.
[just found out that Zelda's also unlocks another weapon. I swear if its another Link weapon I will burst]

Its going to be used in every Nintendo game from now until death in some small way, so just prepare yourselves and hope its additional stuff and not that they start locking out important shit.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Continuing from CT...

If it was anything more people would be complaining even more. This is possibly the best way thus far to utilise the feature.
I don't think people would complain as much if they were just figurines with a cheaper price tag. I think they would still sell decently, but you're right about the DLC aspect making them more appealing.

I'm not condemning anyone for liking them, nor do I think Nintendo is fucking us over (yet). I'm just explaining why I won't be supporting them.

Last edited:
getting three of them, one free from toys r us. Then eventually Megaman and zero suit Samus. That'll probably be about it.

I see it like this... It's a $12 collectable figurine that enhances SOME games. Now a days $12 barely gets you anything, dinner for two at McDonalds anyone? We now know that this content wasn't locked in certain games as Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart need updates. You don't need amiibos to enjoy the game or to play it. It just adds a little extra, and heck if I can pay $12 once and be able to use amiibos on several games, right there they have proven their worth more than Skylanders or Disney infinity due to that those are locked onto one game and that's it. Nintendo isn't forcing you to buy them, they're not making games missing something/features FORCING you to buy them. If you don't want them fine, you're only missing out on costumes, or additional content.
I took Club Nintendos survey and they had a list of games that will feature amiibo compatibility. I can't remember all the titles but Smash, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party 10, and the new Kirby come to mind.

getting three of them, one free from toys r us. Then eventually Megaman and zero suit Samus. That'll probably be about it.

I see it like this... It's a $12 collectable figurine that enhances SOME games. Now a days $12 barely gets you anything, dinner for two at McDonalds anyone? We now know that this content wasn't locked in certain games as Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart need updates. You don't need amiibos to enjoy the game or to play it. It just adds a little extra, and heck if I can pay $12 once and be able to use amiibos on several games, right there they have proven their worth more than Skylanders or Disney infinity due to that those are locked onto one game and that's it. Nintendo isn't forcing you to buy them, they're not making games missing something/features FORCING you to buy them. If you don't want them fine, you're only missing out on costumes, or additional content.
I took Club Nintendos survey and they had a list of games that will feature amiibo compatibility. I can't remember all the titles but Smash, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party 10, and the new Kirby come to mind.

I think it's safe to say all future games will feature Amiibos.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Amiibos.....the next Ebola?
C'mon, they are two very different things. One causes vomiting, diarrhea, internal bleeding, and liver failure.

The other is Ebola.
Wind Waker Link (Toon Link) is part of the Smash Bros line, not its own line. They havent announced any other lines and are pretty cautious with its use.
I didn't mean to imply toon Link was a new run entirely, just that the appearance of another Link makes it seem to me that there's gonna be more coming down the pike. It seems highly unlikely to me that Nintendo would retire Amiibo after the release of Smash Bros.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Those seemingly unusable Amiibos could still hold some minimal value across all games.
For instance, even though Link and Zelda specifically give you weapons for Hyrule Warriors, the rest of the line is still being used to get you easy materials and skills.
This is basically what I was explaining in the CT. Unlike conventional DLC, the Amiibo can be used for multiple titles (I believe even for mutiple consoles), so in theory there's more value towards them besides just looking freaking sweet.

On the outside, they are collectibles, but on the inside, they literally hold information that relate to your Nintendo games. I don't anticipate Amiibo to fly off the shelves, but I do expect them to be somewhat successful. Successful enough that Nintendo will expand them to other Nintendo franchises and lines. Interestingly enough, however, if you include the Smash Bros lineup of Amiibo, that already includes a good chunk of Nintendo franchises, so having other "lines" of Amiibo might not be as necessary right away.

EDIT:

Just to add one more thing to all this, consider that there are still a lot of people who love to own physical media; I know many of you here love physical media. Up until this point, modern DLC (I say modern, because back in the day we had expansion packs) have really only been digital things, and not exactly something physical for someone to hold. That is unless you have the GOTY edition or whatever special edition of a game with all the DLC included. With Amiibo, you now have a physical media of sorts with your DLC. If that makes any sense. I'm not saying this is the way it should be, but it's something to think about.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I once knew this girl who played with dolls....

Next time I see her I'll let her know that the word "doll" is politically incorrect....

They are called Amiibos now.... Duh....

Because grown folks don't play with dolls....

Right...?

e230y.gif

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Just to add one more thing to all this, consider that there are still a lot of people who love to own physical media; I know many of you here love physical media. Up until this point, modern DLC (I say modern, because back in the day we had expansion packs) have really only been digital things, and not exactly something physical for someone to hold. That is unless you have the GOTY edition or whatever special edition of a game with all the DLC included. With Amiibo, you now have a physical media of sorts with your DLC. If that makes any sense. I'm not saying this is the way it should be, but it's something to think about.
8f632.gif

Goodtwin

I dont personally have much interest in them. Perhaps if Nintendo uses them in some compelling way then I would reconsider, but they sort of feel like an indirect way to sell DLC. I have no issue with them, they are obviously very popular, and if people enjoy them for whatever reason, and it helps make Nintendo financially healthy, then I see no harm in them.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think it's safe to say all future games will feature Amiibos.
Definitely. I've seen some people elsewhere talking about Amiibo like it's just Nintendo's current strategy. Or I also saw Buddah and Aki saying that Nintendo are putting these out to distract from their lackluster 2014 lineup. I feel like, no man, this is their business plan in the long-term, or at least a limb of it.

Nintendo's new business plan: Wii U sustained by first and second-party titles, licensing Nintendo characters out to more third-party collaborations, Amiibos for hands-off marketing, licensing Nintendo characters to all sorts of third-parties (not just in the videogame industry), bringing together all Nintendo devices under a single OS allowing for cross-platform games and incremental (not generational) upgrades, and a QOL infrastructure that will interact with multiple devices, each handled with different companies that specialize in different areas such as health and education. Pretty much all of that is stuff that has come straight out of Iwata's mouth for investors, it's not just idle speculation.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
So it turns out Amiibos can only save data from one game. This won't affect the type of DLC that is going on in MK8, but you won't be saving data on your amiibo from another game.

In theory, Nintendo could create an app that gets around this, but I think they did it on purpose.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I think Amiibo is a good idea. It will sell to multiple groups of people easily.

1) Kids. Seriously, this is amazing if you are a kid and own a Wii U or New 3DS because not only can you play with these while you can't use the tv, but you can also have it add to your game and breathe life into your toys. That concept to a child before the age of 4th or 5th grade is freaking magical.

2) Gaming Enthusiasts. These are the people who decorate their desk or house with little bits of gaming around. Nothing too major but might have a poster or figurine sitting around.

2b) Fans of one particular series/characters. These people tend to purchase "Special Editions" of games and pre-order things for the art books and special edition figurines. These Amiibo will most likely be used as special edition pre-order version in the future but I'm assuming not in a bad way. For instance, Mario might have a different stance or design if you pre-order the new Mario but it will still off the same benefits as the regular Mario that we are purchasing now. It would basically be treated like another Mario. This is an assumption of course but would make sense to me.

3) Money Saving Parents. Your kid wants a toy down the toy aisle but he also gets to play as a new character on his virtual babysitt....errmm..I mean his video games! Sweet! Oh..and its cheaper than most of the other toys? SCORE!

4) Collectors of Video Game Stuff. My best friend is one of these.. He's a damn grown up with tattoos and stuff. He saves peoples lives on ambulances. But he collects video game stuff. His TV/Entertainment center area is littered with collectables, toys, loot, etc... from things that he actively collects. These will be treated as collectors items because of the limited runs.

Now, I fall under the fans of a particular series category myself. I'll be all over the Xenoblade and Megaman Amiibo when they come out. I wish they would have released those in the first run because honestly while I appreciate the Amiibo for what it is (interesting DLC/collectable figurine/toy) none of those characters in the first run really have the same kind of place in my heart as those do.

Now I'll be all about Street Fighter character Amiibo, bring that on!

When is Nintendo getting off their ass for cross-platform stuff?

Would love to play Shovel Knight on the 3DS if I'm staying at my parents for the weekend or something.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
In my mind Amiibos are awesome collectible figurines with a few added benefits in games. And as I love collectibles (though I sadly don't have a big collection of them due the cost involved), I'll be buying these as I find deals on them.

As long as Nintendo doesn't start making them necessary to really get a lot out of your games (so far I think they are handling this pretty well--Hyrule Warriors is a bit worrisome, but lets be honest, pretty much all of the DLC in Hyrule Warriors is worrisome, though we have to remember it isn't Nintendo who made the game) I'll remain in favor of them. But if they start doing things like "Sorry! You can't enter this dungeon as you haven't scanned the *boss_name_here* Amiibo yet--only $12.99 at your local retailer!"... well gaming would be dead for me. I trust Nintendo not to do that though, so far they have handled DLC quite well this gen (see MK8) and I don't see that changing.

Last edited:
Can we stop calling Amiibos DLC, for the time being at least? They arent at all being used in that way just yet.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/preview_using_amiibo_with_super_smash_bros_for_wii_u
So it turns out Amiibos can only save data from one game. This won't affect the type of DLC that is going on in MK8, but you won't be saving data on your amiibo from another game.

In theory, Nintendo could create an app that gets around this, but I think they did it on purpose.
Aint a problem at the moment, since Smash Bros is the only game that uses it as a save of sorts. And when the next game comes that utilizes that function, it will probably come with its own line as well, so not a huge deal.

In my mind Amiibos are awesome collectible figurines with a few added benefits in games. And as I love collectibles (though I sadly don't have a big collection of them due the cost involved), I'll be buying these as I find deals on them.

As long as Nintendo doesn't start making them necessary to really get a lot out of your games (so far I think they are handling this pretty well--Hyrule Warriors is a bit worrisome, but lets be honest, pretty much all of the DLC in Hyrule Warriors is worrisome, though we have to remember it isn't Nintendo who made the game) I'll remain in favor of them. But if they start doing things like "Sorry! You can't enter this dungeon as you haven't scanned the *boss_name_here* Amiibo yet--only $12.99 at your local retailer!"... well gaming would be dead for me. I trust Nintendo not to do that though, so far have handled DLC quite well this gen (see MK8) and I don't see that changing.
Agree, but I love the Hyrule Warriors DLC so far. Going by how much time I spent on Adventure Mode, the Master Quest map that I havent touched at all should net me another 30 or so hours.

Aki

I have mixed feeling on Amiibo. On one hand, I really like the figurines and like how they work with multiple games to unlock exclusive content. I wouldn't go as far as labeling them DLC like Skylanders because from what I've seen so far, they unlock minor things like a new weapon(s) in Hyrule Warriors or Mii racing outfits in MK8. I think that's a nice little benefit. My issue with Amiibo is the time and resources that it's taking away from the dev teams and the continual focus on it. I'd much rather have them working on putting out more retail Wii U games, even if they're HD remasters, or VC games such as N64 or GCN titles. I really like playing Wii U, but my issue is that there isn't much to play on the console. I own virtually all the first party games for it and I've beaten them all aside from DK:TF and Pikmin 3 which I would've completed had I not opted to save them for this winter. Personally, I'm not sure if I'm going to purchase any Amiibo, but I hope that some of the focus shifts away from it.

Koenig

The Architect
I get the feeling I would like amiibos more if they were collectible cards rather than figurines, but that is probably just me.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
If Amiibo were only collectible cards, i would be less inclined to buy them. I like the fact that I can put them in the media room as well as use them on some of the games I own.
If it were just a card, it would have to prove more value to me, game-wise, before I would get it.

I have mixed feeling on Amiibo. On one hand, I really like the figurines and like how they work with multiple games to unlock exclusive content. I wouldn't go as far as labeling them DLC like Skylanders because from what I've seen so far, they unlock minor things like a new weapon(s) in Hyrule Warriors or Mii racing outfits in MK8. I think that's a nice little benefit. My issue with Amiibo is the time and resources that it's taking away from the dev teams and the continual focus on it. I'd much rather have them working on putting out more retail Wii U games, even if they're HD remasters, or VC games such as N64 or GCN titles. I really like playing Wii U, but my issue is that there isn't much to play on the console. I own virtually all the first party games for it and I've beaten them all aside from DK:TF and Pikmin 3 which I would've completed had I not opted to save them for this winter. Personally, I'm not sure if I'm going to purchase any Amiibo, but I hope that some of the focus shifts away from it.
I can't help but think Amiibo isn't taking away from game development. Like, what sorta rubbish is that? lol. It's a different section at Nintendo doing this.

A different section that could be focusing on game development.
But those people are most likely not trained to make video games, it's probably that section that designs all the peripherals that Nintendo do and then they make some company mass produce these figurines.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I imagine the designs are done internally by some visual artists, the figures are manufactured by a 3rd party specialized in figurines, and the NFC chips and game design implementation handled by one of Nintendo's hardware teams. Just speculation though, I don't know if we have any solid data on who makes what on these.

Ex-Actarus

I imagine the designs are done internally by some visual artists, the figures are manufactured by a 3rd party specialized in figurines, and the NFC chips and game design implementation handled by one of Nintendo's hardware teams. Just speculation though, I don't know if we have any solid data on who makes what on these.
That's my understanding from what I've seen on a french website Gamekult.

They went to Nintendo France and had the time to spend some times with Amiibo. It seems that the less complicated characters : Yoshi, Kirby, Villager, Pikachu ( and even Mario ) are really good ! However, as soon as the character as a bit more complex, it's doesn't look good : Marth and Link mostly.

They said that their design was "clearly" not the same as the ones they've seen at E3. I guess that Nintendo had to make some concessions in order to deliver an acceptable retail price.

They felt that the Amiibo were like tamagochi as you need to feed them, train them all the time in order for them to level up.

Here is the video ( in french ) : http://www.gamekult.com/video/super-smash-bros-preview-amiibo-3050364771v.html

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
lootcrate.com/amiibo
Check it out, lootcrate finally has a not stupid purpose!
if you dig amiibos at least.
Man, I was so excited for the lootcrate thing but I don't want to pay 55 a month for them. I was hoping more for a 15 to 20 bucks a month pricing set-up that lasted for like 6 months or something.

Odo

It's a good deal. I'm going to get my Link soon.

Then I want to play Zelda U with a MegaMan. That's what I want. Nobody will stop me.

Then I'll play the next Mario 3D using Sonic, making it the best Sonic Boom game we're going to have.

Ex-Actarus

It's a good deal. I'm going to get my Link soon.

Then I want to play Zelda U with a MegaMan. That's what I want. Nobody will stop me.

Then I'll play the next Mario 3D using Sonic, making it the best Sonic Boom game we're going to have.
Seriously you're kidding, but that would be dope !
Imagine running everywhere in Hyrule with Megaman.
I just love that idea, lol !

EvilTw1n

So, all this Amiibo talk made me think of writing an article.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/happy-birthday-u/

Leave aside if you are a collector, or what this may mean for future DLC content, or whatever else. Isn't it a little depressing that these things are pretty much the only innovative use Nintendo has thought of for the GamePad?

When I bought a Wii U, I was thinking "hell yes, I can see Nintendo using this touch screen for all sorts of stuff."

Two years later? It's off-TV play and maps.

And soon to be a piece of plastic to set a figurine on.

Odo

Leave aside if you are a collector, or what this may mean for future DLC content, or whatever else. Isn't it a little depressing that these things are pretty much the only innovative use Nintendo has thought of for the GamePad?

When I bought a Wii U, I was thinking "hell yes, I can see Nintendo using this touch screen for all sorts of stuff."

Yes, really sad. This end of 2014 for me is sad. I'm seeing X1 selling tons with COD, FIFA15 and Destiny while the only thing Nintendo has is Smash and Amiibo.

Also a late Zelda for who knows when in 2015.

Killer apps are late.
3rd party is gone.
Gamepad is great, I love it, but nobody cares.

Let's see Smash effect, until there I've got no more to say.

Ex-Actarus

That's why I was saying the gamepad should be abandoned by Nintendo. If the ONLY gamepad feature pushed by Nintendo is Amiibo, then it would be better for Nintendo to bundle the Wii U with a platform Skylanders style. It would instantly make the Wii U cheaper ( 200 $ easily ) and Nintendo could still make money with NFC related products.

Gamers have lived with maps on screen for 3 decades, we are used to it now, no big deal. And off TV play, ok it's cool, but again, not necessary.

ZyroXZ2

Kinda didn't read all the responses (okay, not kinda, didn't at all), but the amiibo are surprisingly nice decorative items outside of their use in Smash Bros (and minor use in other games). I can't complain about the $13, and have unboxing videos posting soon on my impressions of them. Either way, I've already bought two more than I had intended to, simply because they're so fun to display!

I'm having a lot of fun with mine, they're really much better quality than I expected as well. Functionality with Smash is minor, but sort of addictive.

I think the ideal functionality for amiibos would be something akin to streetpass on 3DS. Something or a feature that not everyone can experience (given areas, population congestion) but thats not entirely missed. Its riding the line on that atm though.
And I just reminded myself that this will also be a thing that will be used in some, if not all, future 3DS games.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Kinda didn't read all the responses (okay, not kinda, didn't at all), but the amiibo are surprisingly nice decorative items outside of their use in Smash Bros (and minor use in other games). I can't complain about the $13, and have unboxing videos posting soon on my impressions of them. Either way, I've already bought two more than I had intended to, simply because they're so fun to display!
Now you go back and read them responses!!!

EvilTw1n

I got Samus, like I said I would. But that's just because I'm a sucker for all things Metroid.

I'm also a mark for all things Zelda, but I couldn't bring myself to buy Link. The "pedestal of frozen urine"-look isn't my thing.

Can't really think of any other character I'd really want, tbh.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I got Samus, like I said I would. But that's just because I'm a sucker for all things Metroid.

I'm also a mark for all things Zelda, but I couldn't bring myself to buy Link. The "pedestal of frozen urine"-look isn't my thing.

Can't really think of any other character I'd really want, tbh.
Hey, that's piss crystal to you buddy....