Amiibos.....the next Ebola?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Over the past week two more Amiibo have joined the household I live in, Pikachu and Diddy Kong.

That brings the total up to 4 [face_rose]
.............How....when........surelyAmiibola isn't this strong......if it is tho and it's headed that way.......God save us all.....

Let's face it:
Amiibo is a great idea by Nintendo, and as probably everyone can tell, it is making them LOTS of money.
I currently own 7 Amiibo (Fox, Zelda, Link, Little Mac, Mario, Samus, and Donkey Kong), know for a fact that next month in January I will be getting at least 2 more Amiibo (Luigi and Captain Falcon) which would then bring my Amiibo collection total up to 9. And I am definitely hoping to get more Amiibo next year after that. So yeah, Amiibo is working out and are awesome to play around with and have as a collectible!
And just one more thing to add: My older brother has told me that Amiibo are awesome and are selling very well, and that the last time Nintendo made something this popular/fast-selling was the original Pokemon cards... So yeah, there's that.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
SURVIVER LOG DAY 2:

Mattavelle

Amiibola did something today just flexing it's morphing ability to me.

My oldest son an I sit down for a nice game of 4 man Smash. No Amiibola spotted anywhere, I was relieved at least for a moment.

Then it happened my oldest says "hey dad would you like to play 8 man Smash?" (excited I might add). I ask "son how would we do that? It's just us here".

With a grin so sinister no child should bear it he says "we can just scan 6 Amiibos to the gamepad and not only will that fight us, but they level up and become stronger the more we play with them".

Odo

Amiibola is clearly a Nintendo Corporation experiment that can destroy our world.

I hope they're not biological agents that could attack us while we sleep. In that case, Pikachu would be very dangerous.

Even Jill Valentine wouldn't beat those creatures.

Well, in my opinion, Amiibos are a very good idea! Not only can they generate so much money for Nintendo but they also appeal to all of us Nintendo fans that have always wanted official Nintendo figures!!

I have yet to buy one, but be certain that I will and when I do, I will be completely obsessed with getting them all!!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well, in my opinion, Amiibos are a very good idea! Not only can they generate so much money for Nintendo but they also appeal to all of us Nintendo fans that have always wanted official Nintendo figures!!

I have yet to buy one, but be certain that I will and when I do, I will be completely obsessed with getting them all!!
Are you saying you are welcoming Amiibola?:mgeek:

BobSilencieux

As I'm sure Mattavelle will agree, the most virulent strains of the infection seem to be much more common in households with young children. The immune systems of the under-10's has clearly not built up enough to be able to ward of this menacing illness effectively. However, I bring good news. Into January now, and many weeks having passed since the earliest outbreaks, I am pleased to report that my 6 year old daughter and myself are still AMIIBOLA FREE. Rejoice good people, rejoice; there is still hope for humanity!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
As I'm sure Mattavelle will agree, the most virulent strains of the infection seem to be much more common in households with young children. The immune systems of the under-10's has clearly not built up enough to be able to ward of this menacing illness effectively. However, I bring good news. Into January now, and many weeks having passed since the earliest outbreaks, I am pleased to report that my 6 year old daughter and myself are still AMIIBOLA FREE. Rejoice good people, rejoice; there is still hope for humanity!
I worried for you and your little one. It's great to know there are also safe havens across the pond.

Cubits

The new Kirby game works with Kirby universe amiibo. Those of you with children, prepare to weather the impending storm of cuteness.

May God have mercy on our souls.

I have the Villager and Kirby which were christmas presents from my girlfriend. Pit was my girlfriends but she left it at my house lel. Link was my best friends but he left it at my house lel.

At the moment I have only spent money on a preorder for Shulk and a Captain Falcon on the way to my house.

I'm about to twitch stream my amiibos as I clean the house.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I have the Villager and Kirby which were christmas presents from my girlfriend. Pit was my girlfriends but she left it at my house lel. Link was my best friends but he left it at my house lel.

At the moment I have only spent money on a preorder for Shulk and a Captain Falcon on the way to my house.

I'm about to twitch stream my amiibos as I clean the house.
Damn they got DHR aswell! Amiibola is hitting epidemic type cases now

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
We had an outbreak of Amiibola in our home in December, but the virus seems to have passed. I don't see any more outbreaks in the near future. But I did hear of an amphibian strain of amiibola that may be too hard to resist... especially for those with a love of the Captain.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
We had an outbreak of Amiibola in our home in December, but the virus seems to have passed. I don't see any more outbreaks in the near future. But I did hear of an amphibian strain of amiibola that may be too hard to resist... especially for those with a love of the Captain.
Good to see that it's starting to regress in some areas. This new strain is disturbing tho

No worries matt, I still don't have an amiibo, and I don't think I will.

I just dislike how much money people have to spend to unlock shit in Nintendo games now. Hyrule Warriors is 60 bucks, has like, 20-30 dollars DLC, and then amiibos to unlock items and shit. (don't have the game so idk)

Now Mario Party 10 has an exclusive amiibo party mode that requires an amiibo per player I guess, but if you want to play with your Mario amiibo, ooops, better make sure it's not your Smash Bros Mario, better shell out money for another Mario. In a few months a new game will come out and you got to buy a third Mario because you don't want to use your Smash Mario or Party Mario.

Maybe I'm over-exaggerating here, but I use to hate how much EA and Activision nickled and dimed their audeiences, and while I still do, I hate seeing Nintendo taking that crown.

HW is easily over 200+ hours of content standalone, with DLC just multiplying that number (the pack for all of them was just 20 bucks). The only amiibo that gives you anything of worth in the game is Link's, which unlocks a new weapon. Every other amiibo is pretty worthless, you get better item pickups just playing the game.

MP10 is pretty damn scummy though. The main issue is you can use your Smash amiibos, but doing so means losing any Smash data attributed to it. What Nintendo needs to do to solve this is create some sort of data bank to put all the amiibo data in so you can switch their uses between games.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Now that Amiibos have taken off, I think we are going to see more and more shitty tactics.
I think as long as Nintendo or any other company that uses Amiibo doesn't cut features from their games, or does on-disc DLC because of Amiibo, I don't have many issues as of now about it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think as long as Nintendo or any other company that uses Amiibo doesn't cut features from their games, or does on-disc DLC because of Amiibo, I don't have many issues as of now about it.
That's what people are complaining about with Mario Party 10, that there's a whole game mode already in there that will be completely locked to those who don't have Amiibos. It's 1 of the 3 main modes.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I agree, but having to buy two Mario figures if you want to use him in both Smash and Party is lame. That was not an accident on Nintendo's part.

Cubits

That's what people are complaining about with Mario Party 10, that there's a whole game mode already in there that will be completely locked to those who don't have Amiibos. It's 1 of the 3 main modes.
What is? Don't the amiibos just unlock board "skins"? Hardly seems like valuable content.

And what information does mario party need to write to the amiibo which will clear the smash data? I thought this game pretty much just had the mk8/hyrule warriors level of amiibo interaction.

Edit: Not that I don't think the amiibo could be handled better. Smash SHOULD at least let you save your amiibo characters to the console.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
What is? Don't the amiibos just unlock board "skins"? Hardly seems like valuable content.

And what information does mario party need to write to the amiibo which will clear the smash data? I thought this game pretty much just had the mk8/hyrule warriors level of amiibo interaction.

Edit: Not that I don't think the amiibo could be handled better. Smash SHOULD at least let you save your amiibo characters to the console.
From what I understand, the game mode is essentially amiibo-only, so if you don't have an amiibo you can't play it. There are boards themed after every supported amiibo, and you save things to the Amiibo kind of like changing stats to the amiibo in Smash. It could turn out that the whole game mode is marginal and worthless, but who knows.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-amiibo-figurines/Mario_Party_10

On the other hand, my friends who got me my Yoshi amiibo to begin with agree with me that it'd be nice to see more amiibo functionality in smash, like bringing it online, or playing co-op modes like Classic, or even smash tour, with the amiibo. So I'm not opposed to more amiibo integration as long as it's fun and a good addition to the game. I'd actually be more worried if it was just skins.

The way I see it, amiibos serve as extra content providers, nothing more than adding a little something nice to your games. From a new weapon in HW, to Figure Players in Smash to boards in amiibo mode in MP10. Speaking of, that mode looks like a poor mans Mario Party, the boards all have the same basic layout and change a little depending on the character. So to me you're not missing out on much, however if you do happen to own some amiibo then bam, you have a nice little something-something as an extra. Amiibos still have their worth though imo, especially one like Mario which has multiple uses. Plus some of the figures are nice to just have and admire.

I just hope Mario Party isn't a "test" to see what Nintendo can do for the next step.

I expect a lot of Amiibo support for Splatoon, especially with the clothing store. Mario, Link and Luigi outfits will probably be there. That's....fine I guess, but I wish I could unlock that shit by playing the game, not shelling out 13 bucks. Regardless, if that's all Splatoon does, then fine.

But if Mario Party turns out a huge success and people love the amiibo mode, then I hope Ninty doesn't go a step further and do exclusive maps for Splatoon that is only playable if you have an amiibo teammate.

Or amiibo only dungeons in Zelda. "Only Mario's ability can let you beat this dungeon".

Or pull an Assassin's Creed: Unity. "You can only open this treasure chest with a Luigi amiibo"

I know, most of my hate for amiibo comes from the future, I just hope Mario Party isn't starting a dangerous trend.

Gotta hand it to Activision for Skylanders, they did indeed see the next hot trend.

Cubits

The amiibo mode in mario party is hardly comparable to skylanders or unity. It's a pared back version of the regular game, with board skins and some amiibo levelling (apparently?). It's only locking content for you if it contains unique mini games (ok, THAT would be shitty of them!), otherwise it's no different to the amiibo integration of smash.

It's unquestionable that nintendo has chosen to put themselves in a tough spot with this, it's going to be hard to remain the "good guys". How do they make the amiibo valuable without making it seem unfair? It's tough! But I haven't seen any evidence of them giving in to the dark side yet. A little bit of tweaking to the way they handle multiple games would sort it, really.

They just need to keep the amiibos at "oh, that's fairly neat..." levels of interaction with most games. Any more and it's going to look like paywalling, right?

I'm still training my pickachu to beat my captain falcon.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It's only locking content for you if it contains unique mini games (ok, THAT would be shitty of them!), otherwise it's no different to the amiibo integration of smash.
I'd actually say that what Amiibos lock in Smash is more important: a proper AI CPU that doesn't rely on input-reading but rather on learning algorithms to provide a challenge that is more dynamic and less predictable.

It's almost like the Amiibo AI is how the Wii U game's CPU was going to behave like originally before they decided to tone it down for parity with the 3DS version (since it was weaker processing power for AI, maybe?). I'm almost tempted to buy more Amiibo and just have them fight each other all day long to see how good they can get.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Also, you know what would really get me? Like, Pokemon kind of get me? Amiibo monsters from Monster Hunter. An amiibo Deviljho. Amiibo Pink Rathian. Amiibo Stygian Zinogre. They could unlock more difficult quests not found in the original game, with their own armor and weapons as their reward.

I'm not saying I want Capcom to do that. I'm saying they'd be practically stealing my wallet if they did that.

@mattavelle1