And this is why Nintendo shouldn't be doudted.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
This Pokemon Go thing is reaching ludicrous proportions. People who don't even game are now chasing Pokemon like Ash Ketchum himself. They just have they type of appeal with there games how they take concepts and turn them on there heads. Aren't games supposed to be done by us in the privacy of our own homes? We're not supposed to be actively using them outside! And because they do that kinda thing there stock is raising by 6 dollars in one day.

Which brings me to my next point. I've been saying for awhile now that Nintendo is waiting for Sony and MS to announce there direction for there newest consoles before we get any info on NX, and I still believe this. And now with Pokemon go I think I have a better insight into why it's been such a secret.

Perhaps the NX has figured out a way to bridge home console with Mobil apps like Pokemon go? If so that could be unreal huge. While the rest of the industry sets out to seek VR, Nintendo would be the company bringing in all devise, that we all already own anyhow. And giving us fantastic ways to use them together. If this is true, and Pokemon go is a sort of quasi road map............then maybe it's time to buy up some Nintendo stock even tho it just jumped up 6 bucks. I've had a feeling they really have something with NX and what they have done lately with LoZ, Pokemon Go, spltooner they seem to be on some next level and I expect NX to be something special.

What do you guys think?

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I think the success of Pokemon Go makes the idea of a Hybrid console all the more logical. If you had something that connected to your phone that used minimal data like Go uses and then offloads all the actual graphics crunching on the console it would be pretty cool.

What I find more interesting are the business opportunities for Nintendo here. If they were smart then they would make a way for businesses to sign up to be "Pokespots" and "Gyms" for a monthly fee. If this phenomenon has any legs to it (which I think it has at least a years worth in it with proper updating at about half capacity of what it is now) then it would probably be more beneficial for companies than using radio advertising which is expensive. This could revolutionize local advertising as they we know it.

So I wanted to tip off my local area businesses about this idea and dropped this line in a Facebook Group I am part of:

"I just wanted to mention that if you have a business that is close to a "Pokestop" or "Gym" in Pokemon Go it may be a good idea to capitalize on this gaming phenomenon. There are things called "Lure Modules" you can put on these locations that will cause more rare Pokemon to go to the location for 30 minutes. A proper way to advertise would be to state on your Facebook page "We will launch a Pokemon Go Lure at XX:XX pm! Drop on by and show us the game for XX percent off a meal and/or purchase!" I would imagine that you would get more people showing up per dollar spent than you would other forms of advertising right now. I personally think this phenomenon will have more legs than most people expect. I write occasionally for a gaming website and plan on doing some study over how businesses and society can benefit from these location based AR games in the near future if marketed correctly. Anyway, y'all have fun with it. I know the walking parks and churches are seeing tons of new visitors even in our smallish town."

I think that would be a great way to really add new clientele. I would LOVE to have a coffee shop or something that I could do this with.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I only worry that this Pokemon GO phenomenon will short-lived, and in a fortnight, everyone will be back to their usual selves trying to kill each other over matters of which do not solve the world's issues.

In seriousness though, I am very surprised GO has garnered so much appeal, but it is also only Nintendo's to lose in this case. They have to encapsulate on that, and expand what is making it successful right now, and make it successful and engaging for people in the long-term.

But yes, just when you think things are bleak, crazy things like this happens, and it proves once again you can never predict not only what Nintendo will do, but how it will be received.

I don't know about the apps linking to consoles. I know EA and Ubisoft has done it with their games and companion apps.

I know Battlefield 2 there was a commander mode that was popular. Someone would have a birds eye view of the map and can instruct their team mates to do certain things, give them vehicles, etc. I THINK Battlefield 4 turned that into an app.

And I know some Ass Creed game had a companion app, for what I don't know.

So apps playing with console games ain't new. If you're right though and this is what Nintendo is doing, than maybe they'll take it a step further. Get off your ass, catch some Pokemon with GO, come home and the ones on your phone are the ones you can play Pokemon NX with. Who knows.

simplyTravis

So apps playing with console games ain't new. If you're right though and this is what Nintendo is doing, than maybe they'll take it a step further. Get off your ass, catch some Pokemon with GO, come home and the ones on your phone are the ones you can play Pokemon NX with. Who knows.
I would play the ever loving hell out of that. You just came up with Pokemon Stadium NX!

FriedShoes

MLG
I'm still not entirely certain where Nintendo's involvment with the app is though. I know they are making bank from it, just by pretty much owning the property, but from what I've seen there is little involvement from them creatively. So with that in mind I cant exactly say "well done, Nintendo". I can be happy that they are richer now and maybe they can use those resources to do fine things, but at this moment I'm not confident enough congratulating them, especially when it comes to mobile, and not confident enough in their endeavors for the future.
Well the latter is a lie, I'm always hopeful and confident that they'll do right this time, but I dont see Pokemon Go as evidence.

Koenig

The Architect
I would have invested in Nintendo's stock had I the funds. I don't expect the success from pokemon go to last too far into the future, but it was certainly a major boon to Nintendo. I never have had any doubts about Nintendo doing well financially.

As for Nintendo it self, I still have many MANY doubts about their ideology and methodology. They have the talent and the resources to do many great things; it remains to be seen if they will actually use them for such purposes.

Goodtwin

It's amazing how much media attention Pokemon Go is getting. Local news and radio has been talking about it daily. Mostly warning the public to be careful not to go on private propert, or play while driving. But still, it's being talked about, and we all know how valuable publicity is, and it's coming at no expense to Nintendo.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I always thought it would be nice to see a Nintendo hand-held like a 3DS successor which was also a cell phone, so people would have a reason to carry it with them at all times. Of course, global productivity would plummet, as Pokémon Go is proving.
Hopefully, you're right and NX will be some sort of hybrid which will bridge the console-mobile gap and allow more people to game more socially.

I think that would be a great way to really add new clientele. I would LOVE to have a coffee shop or something that I could do this with.
I think you have one brilliant idea on your hands there. Just find yourself a coffee shop willing to partner up. Study their client traffic/sales for two weeks without any promotion and then foot the bill for the lures on a few days over another two week period and compare the data.

I'm willing to bet you could find a shop willing to partner up and share data with you if you're willing to pay for the lures.

EDIT: Should have used multi-quote instead of posting back-to-back. Sorry.

Last edited:

simplyTravis

I think you have one brilliant idea on your hands there. Just find yourself a coffee shop willing to partner up. Study their client traffic/sales for two weeks without any promotion and then foot the bill for the lures on a few days over another two week period and compare the data.

I'm willing to bet you could find a shop willing to partner up and share data with you if you're willing to pay for the lures.

EDIT: Should have used multi-quote instead of posting back-to-back. Sorry.
That is a thought actually. Also, you don't need to apologize on TNE for back-to-back posting. We're pretty laid back here. You can even bump year old threads and nobody will try to cut your hands off at the wrist.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
That is a thought actually. Also, you don't need to apologize on TNE for back-to-back posting. We're pretty laid back here. You can even bump year old threads and nobody will try to cut your hands off at the wrist.
Says the Jedi that cut off Anakin's hand for necrothread-ing.

Koenig

The Architect
I am still very much on the fence about Nintendo using some of their IP for mobile games. With a few notable exceptions, most of their IP simply would not be at their finest on a Phone when a controller would be far better. Granted, I DO want to see more cross functionality between their mobile games and portable/console endeavors; cross functionality has a massive amount of relatively untapped potential.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I am still very much on the fence about Nintendo using some of their IP for mobile games. With a few notable exceptions, most of their IP simply would not be at their finest on a Phone when a controller would be far better. Granted, I DO want to see more cross functionality between their mobile games and portable/console endeavors; cross functionality has a massive amount of relatively untapped potential.
Well that's assuming that they keep the gameplay the same, which I don't think they would. They'd likely change the game up significantly for smartphones and tablets. I mean, Pokemon Go doesn't really much like a traditional Pokemon game but it does satisfy a lot of peoples desire to go out and be able to catch a Pokemon in real life

Koenig

The Architect
Well that's assuming that they keep the gameplay the same, which I don't think they would. They'd likely change the game up significantly for smartphones and tablets. I mean, Pokemon Go doesn't really much like a traditional Pokemon game but it does satisfy a lot of peoples desire to go out and be able to catch a Pokemon in real life
It depends on the game in question, but I do agree for the most part. There are some games though that such a drastic change in controls would be better of as an entirely new game series instead of retrofitting the gameplay of an existing IP.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Says the Jedi that cut off Anakin's hand for necrothread-ing.

I only worry that this Pokemon GO phenomenon will short-lived, and in a fortnight, everyone will be back to their usual selves trying to kill each other over matters of which do not solve the world's issues.

In seriousness though, I am very surprised GO has garnered so much appeal, but it is also only Nintendo's to lose in this case. They have to encapsulate on that, and expand what is making it successful right now, and make it successful and engaging for people in the long-term.

But yes, just when you think things are bleak, crazy things like this happens, and it proves once again you can never predict not only what Nintendo will do, but how it will be received.
All of this.

The "next big thing" is not predictable; some things just happen to catch the collective imagination of a lot of people. A phenomenon like this is definitionally out of the ordinary; there is no formula to make it happen again. So they have to work this for all that it's worth...and hope it sticks. I'm not convinced it will (I DL-ed it, and I grok the charms, but I dunno if it has the depth of a P&D or Hearthstone to keep people involved long-term), but then again, I saw parents walking downtown last night with their kids catching Pokemon. So what the hell do I know?

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I'm still not entirely certain where Nintendo's involvment with the app is though. I know they are making bank from it, just by pretty much owning the property, but from what I've seen there is little involvement from them creatively. So with that in mind I cant exactly say "well done, Nintendo". I can be happy that they are richer now and maybe they can use those resources to do fine things, but at this moment I'm not confident enough congratulating them, especially when it comes to mobile, and not confident enough in their endeavors for the future.
Well the latter is a lie, I'm always hopeful and confident that they'll do right this time, but I dont see Pokemon Go as evidence.
Iwata created this game with Niantic

Koenig

The Architect
And now there #1 on Amazon UK with the NES mini......there hittin a lick right now.
I hope Nintendo keeps the NES in mind when designing the NX. I still find the NES to be one of most aesthetically pleasing and functionally unified systems to come from Nintendo. I want to see that kind of synergy in their future systems.

Koenig

The Architect
On a Pokemon Go Related note: I don't want Nintendo to make a phone...but I do think it would be smart for them to make a functional Pokedex specifically for Pokemon Go. Something optimized to play the game and save battery life. People would buy something like this; Nintendo should strike while the Iron is hot.