Android App thread

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
so one of the things I am passionate about besides TV and Games is Android... I am always looking out for interesting apps the refine my experience and when I find one that potentially changes everythign I get desperate to talk about them... sicne I don't have much of an outlet for this in my personal life I decided to try here since I know soem of youa re using android phones... the benefit to you guys is a bunch of cool app recommendations... and for me I just get to get all my gushing out

so here I'll start with the app that inspired this thread

recently there has been a big trend in floating apps... as in a little dot that always floats on your screen no matter what you do that can open a sub menu... I have always liked the idea but don't want somethign floating... another big trend in the last few years has been the google holo inspired slide out menu.... basically if you swipe in from the very edge of the left side of the screen on a bunch of apps it gives you a directory of sorts... this can work hand in hand with basic horizontal swiping as it only works at the very edge of your screen...

so this new app just gave me exactly what Iw anted (though it is still early)

Side Bar Plus
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rootuninstaller.sidebar

it overlays a side bar at all times.. completely invisable, but if you swipe from the very edge of the screen you can gain access to apps, contacts, settings, even widgets... and you can even have multiple side bars stacked so right now I have 3, if I swipe on the upper part, the middle part, or the bottom part of the screen it opens a different menu... it works while in other apps or just on your homescreen

it is still a little unpolished... and you can only have 2 bars unless you pay.... but this will change my UI layout on my phone, allowing me a cleaner look without loosing functionality...

-------------------------

since this is my first post in this thread I'll have a few more apps as well

chipchain - a really fun matching game that I am completely addicted to...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appabovegames.chipchain

youtube floating HD player - (called showtime in your app drawer) is a youtube app that lets you Open and size a youtube window that plays and floats over anything youa re doing, so you can search around the net or whatever while a video plays
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Mata.YTplayer

chromecast - not really an app, but a functionality that has been added to apps and will eventually be on pretty much every media app... chromecast is a little dongle that plugs into your HDMI port on your TV, once you set it up anyone with an android or i-phone or tablet can open netflix, youtube, or google play services and send the video to the TV.... it isn't running on your phone the phone just relays the streaming info and then the chromecast finds it for itself, youc an then control the content from any device on your wifi network.. so say you are watching a movie with your girlfriend on netflix that you launched from your phone and sent to the chromecast... she can pause or rewind it from her phone as well... not only that but in youtube you can both (or as many people as you have on your wifi) add to a TV queue that plays sequentially.... which makes it great when you have a bunch of friends over showing eachother youtube clips... right now the services that support it are limited.. but allot are coming... HBO go for example, pandora... and eventually it is just going to be a standard ting in these apps... kind of like how nearly every app has a section where you can share content on facebook or twitter... what makes it all the more amazing is that the dongle is only $35, and when it first came out it included 3 free months of netflix (even if you already had the service it added on)... the netflix isn't available anymore.. it was only the first shipment... but even so... $35 is a steal... it is meant to be cheap and easy you could put them on every TV in your house and have an extra one to take traveling... ti si the future of media streaming
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

so.. feel free to add your own recommendations or ask questions about mine... and I'll come back here whenever i want to gush

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
i've been playing a decent amount of droid lately. my favorite games are:
Riptide GP2
Golfstar
dots
Rayman Jungle Run
Chaos Rings 2
Chaos Rings 2 is an awesome jrpg. It's old school gameplay with modern graphics. It's pricey for a mobile game, but it's really high quality.

theMightyME

just re-did the entire layout of my homescreens to make best use of that slide out thing.. it is looking nice and clean now... using only 2 panels now... 1 panel has my weather clock widget, my music player widget, and an audible widget followed by a tight row of like 7 essential apps I use (chrome, google goggles, play store, maps, etc..)... my second slide out panel has my settings toggles... like a flashlight, sound profile, airplane mode... all of that... nothign else on that panel now so it is looking a little lonely, gonna have to figure out what else to put on that panel... it is kind of my tools panel

then outside of those panels, I took the settings widget out of my notification bar which now has 3 permanent slots (locale, slide out, and energy saver)

as for my actual homescreen I am using 3 panes with the middle pane set as home, on the home pane I have minamlistic text widget showing the time int he upper right hand corner, and then on the bottom I Have a 4x1 contacts grid with my most common 4 contacts... on the left pane is blinkfeed, on the right pane is a fulls creen agenda widget that shows my schedule

my dock is phone, camera, and then 2 folders, 1 has allot of my media programs like youtube and netflix as well as the TV remote and gmote... it was originally my chromecast folder, but I have since just made it my primary media folder... the other folder is all of my games...

my app drawer is all organized into like 12 folders so it is clean and fairlye asy to navigate though I am not 100% happy with how I have it laid out

so it is all pretty and functional now...
next I am going to start cleaning up my phone... getting rid of apps I don't use anymore, cleaning up the storage and galleries, gettign everythign all clean and organized...

I get kind of ocd about my phones lol

GaemzDood

I really want to play the original Shin Megami Tensei on Android, but it's not available in the U.S. or in English.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

theMightyME

ok... so here is my new home screen...

I minimized everythign down after using that new slide out pannel app I mentioned... I also themed for breaking bad

to make the most of a space with little going on I have made use of an old favorite widget/app

minimalistic text
minimalistic text is an app that just puts simple but elegant text on your screen.. it can be a clock, weather, battery gauge, calender, or even just static text
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.devmil.minimaltext&hl=en

btw.. here you can see 1 of the 2 slide out panels I use

theMightyME

so not app related... but I thought I would leave this here
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/sprint-htc-one-android-4-3-other-carriers-follow/
just updated my one today... chanegs are rather minor... lock screen widgets would be nice though I don't use a lock screen at all anymore.. daydream is pretty much useless for me... the 2 additions thta I have really taken note of so far is the settings menu in the notifications bar, and being able to use an additional shortcut on the home button (tap for home, double tap for recent apps, swipe up from for google now, and hold for "menu") nice to have a menu button of sorts back...

gonna have to see if there are any big differences with music and camera

updates just aren't really exciting anymore though... ics and jelly bean really did ALLOT for android and it just doesn't need much else except under the hood tweaks...

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
As I am new to the world of Android (just recently got my first smart phone), I thought I'd leave these questions here...

-Is SkyMap the closest thing Android has to Star Gazer? (Was going to try it out this weekend, but as the nor'easter has hit, it's going to be nothing but clouds for the next few days.)

-My LG Viper has absolute shit battery life (1650-1700 mAh). Zact's customer support isn't great (I was going to trade in my phone, but they never sent the return box they said they would), so I'm wondering if changing batteries is just the best route for me (I otherwise really like the phone, and some people have suggested the stock battery is actually what makes it run so hot). Any suggestions? I don't want a ginormous extended battery that'll double the width of my phone (it's already chunky). For batteries that'll actually fit, I've seen:

http://www.amazon.com/Onite%C2%AE-1800mAh-Li-ion-Battery-Sprint/dp/B008EIB590/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1381413722&sr=1-3&keywords=lg+viper+battery

http://www.amazon.com/2180mAh-Li-ion-Battery-Sprint-Speeds/dp/B00DS3FVLY/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1381415563&sr=1-2&keywords=AceSoft+lg+viper

(Mostly, the customer reviews crap on replacement batteries.)

theMightyME

As I am new to the world of Android (just recently got my first smart phone), I thought I'd leave these questions here...

-Is SkyMap the closest thing Android has to Star Gazer? (Was going to try it out this weekend, but as the nor'easter has hit, it's going to be nothing but clouds for the next few days.)

-My LG Viper has absolute shit battery life (1650-1700 mAh). Zact's customer support isn't great (I was going to trade in my phone, but they never sent the return box they said they would), so I'm wondering if changing batteries is just the best route for me (I otherwise really like the phone, and some people have suggested the stock battery is actually what makes it run so hot). Any suggestions? I don't want a ginormous extended battery that'll double the width of my phone (it's already chunky). For batteries that'll actually fit, I've seen:

http://www.amazon.com/Onite%C2%AE-1800mAh-Li-ion-Battery-Sprint/dp/B008EIB590/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1381413722&sr=1-3&keywords=lg+viper+battery

http://www.amazon.com/2180mAh-Li-ion-Battery-Sprint-Speeds/dp/B00DS3FVLY/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1381415563&sr=1-2&keywords=AceSoft+lg+viper

(Mostly, the customer reviews crap on replacement batteries.)
skymap is the best I have seen.. but there are some other interesting ones if you look... I used to have one that showed satelites and the ISS and such

as for the battery... I would advise you to look on some android communities for your device... with battery it is so device specific

http://www.xda-developers.com/

is probably the best android community... with the most experienced users... see if they have a baord for your device.. you might find the info there already... otherwise ask... but yeah... battery is so device specific that I can't really help you there.... there are also other options than repalcing a battery, they make cases with an extended battery built in but they tend to be bulky... there are also very small portable chargers that you can buy... you just plug it into your phone when it is running low and it will charge your phone

if you do trade in your device make sure to first sync everything to your gmail account and such so you can transfer it all over int he most painless way possible basic stuff will already be synced

also since you are buying an unsubsidized phone you might want to look into the nexus line of phones... those are the ones that google are directly involved in, they update the quickest getting the most recent version of android the day it comes out (I had to wait like 4 months for 4.3, and before that I had 4.1 never got 4.2 at all), they also come with no bloatware and it is very easy to find info on them since developers and power users love them so much...

you have to buy nexus phones directly from google (in the playstore under hardware) but you could also get a trustworthy deal on a use done... if you do go that route the only ones I would bother looking at are the galaxy nexus, the nexus 4, and the upcoming nexus 5

the nexus 4 was like $200 (unsubsidized) but I think they pulled it from the playstore... google tends to keep their nexus phones in the cheaper range... the enxus 5 is expected to debut at $300 (unsubsidized)

EvilTw1n

Cool. Wish this damn nor'easter would break so I can use skymap. I was really looking forward to trying it out on a trip this weekend, but that doesn't look like it'll happen. I DL-ed the app last night, and kept waiting for the clouds to break. Nope. Not 'til next week.

A search on XDA unfortunately brings up a whole lotta nothing for the Viper. I'll probably just take a shot on the battery. It's only $12 for a single, and at worst I have a back-up battery. At best, I get better battery capacity. It's really my only problem with the phone; it just won't last a weekend. Maybe I'll send them an email back about the phone exchange (the only thing I would trade for is the Galaxy Victory, and tbh, I don't like its form factor).

I looked at the Nexus S on Ting, but you can only buy it used, and right now it's running for $245. Plus, Ting isn't as granular as Zact. Right now, I pay $12.11 for 200 mins talk, 250 texts and 100 mb web, plus $5 to maintain the line each month (Ting would cost $23 total; it's about $70 in savings over a year).

On syncing the device...the only thing I have it synced to is my gmail account. Suppose I were to change phones, would my contacts sync right over (I'm assuming texts wouldn't, of course)? It's odd, because I check gmail, and it's not like everyone who is in my phone book is in my gmail contacts list (making me wonder why I should sync it at all).

theMightyME

you can combine your contacts merge them all skype, phone-numbers, addresses (remember your phone is also a gps), any and all messaging and social networking services... youc na mnerge your contacts so that all of your phone cotnacts ar ein your gmail contacts, and any duplicates are merged into 1

EvilTw1n

It's odd...I can look in my contacts, and it looks like gmail is merged in. But the same isn't true when I check gmail (if I just added someone into my phone, I don't see any contact added to gmail, even if I'm synced up).

Other than the battery, I am pretty darn happy with my phone. And I've actually become a bit of a fan of ICS. I didn't expect it to be as easy to use as an iPhone, but it is. Now if I could only figure out why the heck it always has an update service running in the background ("dmc_service" / "update device com.redbend.vdmc"). It's not like this phone will be getting an updated version of Android.

Also, just found my new phone lock screen.

EDIT: Oh, FFS, it's a wallpaper you don't want hotlinked to? Fine, I'll just attach it.

theMightyME

It's odd...I can look in my contacts, and it looks like gmail is merged in. But the same isn't true when I check gmail (if I just added someone into my phone, I don't see any contact added to gmail, even if I'm synced up).

Other than the battery, I am pretty darn happy with my phone. And I've actually become a bit of a fan of ICS. I didn't expect it to be as easy to use as an iPhone, but it is. Now if I could only figure out why the heck it always has an update service running in the background ("dmc_service" / "update device com.redbend.vdmc"). It's not like this phone will be getting an updated version of Android.

Also, just found my new phone lock screen.

EDIT: Oh, FFS, it's a wallpaper you don't want hotlinked to? Fine, I'll just attach it.
so you already have ICS? cool.. maybe that update is for jelly bean which is a slight step up from ics
I looked this up... from last year
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-viper-4g-lte/213162-update-device-service.html

as for the g-mail syncing
go to setting, then sync, and make sure gmail is set to sync
make sure your contacts are synced as google and not sim
if all your contacts are sim, go to your contacts, hit your menu key and there should be an import/export setting, then select import from sim

you should have your contacts synced, but also calendar, tasks, drive cloud storage (if you are signed up for drive), etc.. you should be able to make changes on either your computer or phone and have those changes automatically apply everywhere... it is useful...

also if you use chrome on your desktop, download chrome for mobile too and sync your bookmarks

EvilTw1n

^
Hmm, I don't see anything telling me if contacts are google or sim. When I go into contacts, hit menu > settings, there's an option for "online search - search contacts from online accounts simultaneously." That wasn't checked before. I'll give it a shot now.

I couldn't find a way to change Zact.com as the homepage on the standard browser, so I ditched it for Chrome immediately (I don't even understand why the standard browser ISN'T Chrome).

But yeah, on the whole, I really like ICS. 'Tis pretty easy to use, and it looks great. I doubt the Viper will get any more updates, since it's not exactly a new phone (and LG is pushing the Optimus F3 on small / prepaid carriers now). I wonder if it's just an update thing through Android that's always checking, just in case.

EDIT: Ah, I guess that really is just a typical Android function. I had assumed that the download icon in the top status bar was representing what I saw in the menus for the "update device" function. It wasn't. I pulled down the top status bar (neat trick I didn't know about), and saw that for some reason, the download it was showing was from an old picture I had DL-ed a few weeks ago; for some reason, it just didn't go away. I opened the picture again, and it's gone. Now the top status bar is pretty well clean of showing any superfluous background functions.

theMightyME

^
Hmm, I don't see anything telling me if contacts are google or sim. When I go into contacts, hit menu > settings, there's an option for "online search - search contacts from online accounts simultaneously." That wasn't checked before. I'll give it a shot now.

I couldn't find a way to change Zact.com as the homepage on the standard browser, so I ditched it for Chrome immediately (I don't even understand why the standard browser ISN'T Chrome).

But yeah, on the whole, I really like ICS. 'Tis pretty easy to use, and it looks great. I doubt the Viper will get any more updates, since it's not exactly a new phone (and LG is pushing the Optimus F3 on small / prepaid carriers now). I wonder if it's just an update thing through Android that's always checking, just in case.

EDIT: Ah, I guess that really is just a typical Android function. I had assumed that the download icon in the top status bar was representing what I saw in the menus for the "update device" function. It wasn't. I pulled down the top status bar (neat trick I didn't know about), and saw that for some reason, the download it was showing was from an old picture I had DL-ed a few weeks ago; for some reason, it just didn't go away. I opened the picture again, and it's gone. Now the top status bar is pretty well clean of showing any superfluous background functions.
one of the few real issues with android is OEM, different carriers and manufacturers make their own version of android, so there are always things different between versions... how you set something up on an htc and how you set something up on samsung could be 2 completely different processes... this also contributes to the biggest problem with android.. fragmentation.. as in people are running so many different versions and progressions of the OS that it can make compatibility an issue for some devices... but those are the woes of an open platform... which brings with it MANY more advantages as well

the status bar thing is called the notification bar and is probably the best innovation of android.. it is useful when playing turn based games like words with friends as well... or just for text messages and e-mails and such... you get a message or your turn comes up in a game and you hear your notification chime and the icon is up there.. slide down the notification panel, click on the notification and you are right at whatever youw ere being alerted to... everything does it now but android was first with it, and still best with it since they give you so many more options for it

have you tried using google now? (typically get to it by holding down the home button, double tapping the home button, or swiping up from the home button, or pressing the search button if your device has one).. it is basically just the google search... but it has all sorts of predictive stuff in it too.. so if for instance you are taking a flight, and your baording pass was sent to your g-mail (oh the importance of syncing)... when you go to the airport the phoens gps recognizes youa re there and that it is close to your flights time so your baording pass just shows up on google now by itself... or if you look up some place on your computer (and your computer is signed in with your gmail) google now will think "maybe he wants to go there" and wills earch out a route for you... so if you hop in your car, open google now you'll see a route to that location ready to go... it is really cool, the more active you are, the more insane (and sometimes creepy) it is... but it is sooo cool

EvilTw1n

Yeah, I've noticed just how different Android looks running on different devices. On this one, you've got an LG via Sprint that went to Zact, so it has its own little wrinkles, I'm sure. And heck, I hadn't even used the status bar before, because I never watched any Android tutorials. Haven't used google now, either, but I'm a bit of a paranoid Luddite. I don't even like keeping GPS on or browsing in non-incognito mode. :">

But hey, this is an app thread, so I DL-ed some games last night:
-Super Bit Dash (8-bit difficulty made harder with touch screen controls)
-Autumn Walk (pretty funny, pretty weird)
-PewPew (badass, but a little wonky)

EDIT: Got to play some more PewPew today. Wow. Yes, the touch screen controls are a little unwieldy from time to time, but overall? Holy crap is this game amazing. I never played Geometry Wars, but this is addicting. I feel guilty not paying anything for it.

EvilTw1n

Tossing this here for anyone thinking of buying an Android smart phone on the cheap:

http://www.techbargains.com/reviews/363668

It's pretty hard to go wrong with Zact. Ting is similar (and has more - and better - phones), but Zact is more flexible. And it's so cheap. I do all DL-ing and syncing when I'm over WiFi, but I would still really have to be a data hog to spend more than $20. Then again, I'm not a heavy phone user, but I can't imagine I'm the only one like me, who doesn't really need to pay for unlimited data that I wouldn't be using.

Also, PC Mag's 100 best apps of 2013:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393097,00.asp

EvilTw1n

Huh.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57610266-94/android-4.4-kitkat-brings-a-little-os-equality/

I don't quite get it. I mean, sure, it's great to have a "one-size fits all" OS, but I don't see phone manufacturers using their manpower to go back and update a bunch of old phones, do you?

theMightyME

Huh.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57610266-94/android-4.4-kitkat-brings-a-little-os-equality/

I don't quite get it. I mean, sure, it's great to have a "one-size fits all" OS, but I don't see phone manufacturers using their manpower to go back and update a bunch of old phones, do you?
what google has been doing is separating the componants of android into unique services.... which should make it MUCH easier to slap android updates on to devices.. it is a sort of modular approach... google has their services app that runs in the abckground and auto updates certain things regardless of your android version...

also.. speaking of modular... Motorola's (now owned by google and so infinitely more interesting) is doing some crazy f'n stuff

first we had the moto x with its always listening, fading screen, and twitch camera gesture as well as a move towards something closer to pure android... then there is that windy day thing that is absolutely fascinating as an experiment (this is something Nintendo should have done)... and now they have this project ara

a f'n modular smart phone... and it looks good too
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/29/5041336/motorola-project-ara-modular-smartphones

windy day
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/moto-x-windy-day-motion-controlled-story-app/

moto x
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_X

-----------------

also looks like HTC might be makign a smart watch... this is one tow atch for.. unlike samsung, HTC has always been known for their design aestetics which seems to be the biggest issue facing smart watches.... but it also seems google is enar revealing THEIR smartwatch... and that is interesting when it comes to content because of "google now"... the ideal would be if google partnered with HTC on a nexus watch

-----------------

also, I have been playign with a cool app called push bullet...

basically what you do is install a plug-in for chrome and/or firefox, then install the app on your phone and you can push content to your phone in your notification pane... so for example... I visit a website, then want to look at it on my phone, I just hit the push bullet icon on my browser... when I egt to my phone there is a notification, I click on that and it opens the site... but you can do allot more than just links.. addresses, contacts, lists, media...

it works very well too
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pushbullet.android&hl=en

---------------------------------

also.. have a new wallpaper... I took the samus one I had and cleaned it up for my resolution.. ended up adding a bunch of stuff too

I love android, I'm on my second device, a Sony Xperia ZL, the other was a Samsung galaxy S2. I'm using three screens (I'm not using that many widgets anymore). I love poweramp, it's a must have. Office suite is a great program, I'm using it more and more, Es file explorer is another must have with perfect cloud support, I used to have more stuff like go launcher 3d, hd widgets and stuff like that, but now I like the clean Sony almost stock look. And yes, I also have skymap.

theMightyME

http://i.imgur.com/9cRpZbE.gif

This needs to come to Android.
awww.. a keyboard without gesturing.... ewwwww hahahaha
kind of a cool messaging app but I wouldn't get sucked into it.. I am enjoyign hangouts now that google added sms support

but man.. apple keyboard.. so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorZ6KVmtTE

theMightyME

I think you can adjust the auto correct sensitivity I am using google's keyboard right now... I might get swift key next time I have some play store credit for it... there is this app google has that gives you play store credit for taking surveys.. they tend to be really short I have like $1.50 from like 3 surveys.. 1 was 1 question, the other 2 were like 3 or 4

aww the life of a cheapskate lol
all of my android devices were htc so I had swype automatically... never played much with keybaord besides what was already available on my htc devices... but I have been using gesture typing for a few years now

EvilTw1n

Some neat advice from Ting:
https://ting.com/blog/you-asked-backing-up-sms-messages-in-android/

I think I'll have to DL SMS Backup+ (had discussed before about backing up texts).

Also, in proof that keeping up with tech prices will always make you go insane, I see that Zact has discounted the price of my LG Viper even more:
https://www.zact.com/buy

You have to scroll to get to it now. Earlier this year, the phone was $400 (overpriced to high hell). Then I bought it for $199, which I thought was fair. Now, you can get it for $150, which is insane. That's $100 cheaper than the Samsung Victory, but it's not $100 less phone (both 4" screens, both LTE, both with dual-core 1.2 GHz processors, both with 5 mp cameras; the Samsung just has better battery life and runs cooler). That you can buy that nice a phone for that price boggles my mind.

About the only thing you could buy that's a better deal is the new Moto G (which is 3G only and can only be used on GSM networks, not CDMA where you can get cheaper plans with Ting and Zact; the tradeoff there is that the 3G networks on GSM - notably AT&T - are faster than 3G on Sprint's CDMA).

theMightyME

My friends contract was up at sprint, he went to amazon and reupped his contract with sprint and got an HTC one for a penny... Technically it was like $54 because he had to pay the tax on the full price, but still I played like $254 for it in June

EvilTw1n

Ah, were it not for the monthly plan prices, I'd dive head-first in for something like that.

[Also just rechecked Zact. Man, they're being really competitive with Ting's pricing. That Samsung Galaxy is down to $180 on Zact. It was $260 when I bought my LG - and it's still $300 on Ting. Damn you, falling technological prices. If Sprint would just get their darn 4G network operable at the same rate...]

theMightyME

Ah, were it not for the monthly plan prices, I'd dive head-first in for something like that.

[Also just rechecked Zact. Man, they're being really competitive with Ting's pricing. That Samsung Galaxy is down to $180 on Zact. It was $260 when I bought my LG - and it's still $300 on Ting. Damn you, falling technological prices. If Sprint would just get their darn 4G network operable at the same rate...]
I have a friend that works at sprint... he says big stuff is happening... mass cell tower expansions and such... ever since softbank (a japanese company) bought them out

EvilTw1n

^
I wonder if that's all a part of this:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426591,00.asp

A complete rip and replacement of their 3G network, plus adding more 4G coverage while upping their 4G speeds. No wonder I don't have 4G yet.

theMightyME

^
I wonder if that's all a part of this:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426591,00.asp

A complete rip and replacement of their 3G network, plus adding more 4G coverage while upping their 4G speeds. No wonder I don't have 4G yet.
could be... I finaly have 4g near me but not at my house (though that doesn't matter since i have wifi here)... but apparantly the 4g is being greatly expanded out here soon... when ic an get a good 4g conenction out here it is easily as fast as my wifi connection... where I could really use it is in the movie theater lol.. whenever I go to a midnight showing I have like no data at all... and waiting that long (getting to a movie at around 7 and waiting for it to start at midnight) without a connection is painful these days

EvilTw1n

For many years, I wished RC Pro Am would get a Virtual Console release. I know it's not that great an NES game, but I played the living daylights out of it in my parents basement for years.

Last night I DL-ed Forever Drive, and it reminds me of RC...crossed with Tron and F-Zero. It's a good bathroom game.

EvilTw1n

This is pretty interesting:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/the-day-google-had-to-start-over-on-android/282479/

[Also kinda funny: I DL-ed Spellsword on the same night as Forever Drive. Then the CT exploded with the Hyrule Warriors thing. I highly recommend people DL a game like Spellsword, to see how much a little RPG depth can go toward making a simple hack 'n slash addicting. Really pretty, in a 16-bit nostalgia fashion, too.]

theMightyME

ok... so some new apps I have been playing with

Tic Tactics
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hiddenvariable.tictactics
absolutely beautiful app (now sporting a holiday theme) it is like part tic tac toe, part sudoku, and part go... basically there are 9 tic tac toe grids (like a sudoku puzzle) you start out by placing 9 Xs or Os over the full board... but you can only place 2 per tic tac toe grid and can only place 1 per grid position (only 1 uper right corner, only 1 middle piece, only 1 middle right piece etc...) the other player does the same thing simultaneously, then it cancels out any overlapping pieces and the first player takes their turn, they can place 1 piece anywhere, but where they place it determines which grid the other player gets to play in that round... for example if I choose the lower right corner grid and place an x in the upper left quadrant of thta grid, the other player has to play in the upper left grid on their next turn... by doing this you have to think a bunch of steps ahead as if you were playing chess... it is a ton of fun...

the 1 big downside for me is that I DESPISE facebook, and the only way you can have an account is with facebook... which means I am stuck playing with random players for now... hopefully this changes soon...

Moves
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.protogeo.moves
Moves is a fitness app, it works like a pedometer but uses gps tracking and a clock as well using your numebr of steps combined with your changing coordinates to determine how much you have walked, it can also discern by speed of transport and style of movement to determine if you are walking, if you are driving, etc... then you can see your daily progress in a nice clean line and even mark locations base don gps data... it is a great motivator, I am walkign SOOOOO much more because of it.. I just plug in my headphones start some music and walk all over the damned place until I am bored of it (usually half an hour or so) I use that data it gives me in my next app

Calorie counter - my fitness pal
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfitnesspal.android
I have tried like 6 calorie counting apps with my diet, and this one is the best I have tried, I can even create meals and set my serving sizes, and can easily input my walking data (though manually) as well...

Real Player Cloud
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.real.RealPlayerCloud
remember real player? lol that piece of crap... well now I am using their services again... this time ebcause their new service supports chromecast... which means I can upload videos to thier server and watch them on my chromecast (or anywhere)... if dropbox or google drive ever offer the functionality I'll likely abandon it.. but for now it is basically dropbox for streaming video.. you can even share content with others though I haven't tried that yet... you only get like 2gb free unfortunately... but with sharing and management it should be fine

Insta Font Maker
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fontogram
I have only really played with this so far.. no practical usage.. but you can easily make fonts with it... pretty cool

Google Opinion Rewards
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.paidtasks
google sends you surveys every so often in your notification pane... answer the surveys get playstore credit for apps and music and such... and the surveys are super short... today I had one.. opened it and it asked me if I had heard of a specific service... I hit the no button.. and it sent 25 cents to my play store account... that easy... 1 question.. that couldn't have been more than 7 words, a yes or no answer, 25 cents... the biggest issue with the app.. not enough surveys... I get maybe 2 a week tops... longer surveys pay more... the first I took was like 5 questions and they gave me a dollar for it (bought a song with it)

btw...
apps that now support chromecast

Google Play (music, tv, movies)
Netflix
Youtube
Hulu Plus
HBO Go
Pandora
Vevo
Red Bull
Songza
Plex
Viki (asian, mostly korean, TV)
Real Player Cloud
Avia
Revision 3
BeyondPod
Santa Tracker 2013

apparently google is holding back the flood gates and is going to release apps in waves before making the SDK public and open

I am still waiting for Crunchyroll and Amazon Instant... but it is amazing for Netflix, youtube, and hulu... amazing image qulity... and youtube has some awesome group queueing stuff... soo soo good

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00DR0PDNE

perhaps the best $35 I have ever spent... and now you can get it for like $30... I bought one for my brother, sister in law, and nephews

amazing...

but take note that you need an android or ios device and a wifi connection at home to use it proerly

EvilTw1n

Alright Ty, I need your help. I've been having computer problems, with everything dying at once. It seems a waste to buy another Windows PC that will die soon, too. Then I realized that my most reliable computer is my phone...which happens to have a mini-USB out. And bluetooth.

I'm sure someone has done this as a proof of concept, but all I need a laptop/PC for is web browsing and writing. So there has to be a mini USB/VGA converter for my monitor somewhere...and then I just need a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and hopefully some sort of desktop app. Thoughts?

theMightyME

it depends on how much you do on your computer... there just aren't means of doing things like word processing that are as up to par.. if your load is lite anyways I would just look into the cheapest chromebook possible switch from microsoft office to google docs it would probably be comparable price wise to all the accessories you are considering

if you really want to step away from computers you should atleast consider a tablet for workable word processing...

as for the devices
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bluetooth+keyboard+droid&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=31926491010&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5367214872091934253&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9tjzjy50a4_b

the hdmi out thing is a bit tricky it varies from phone to phone, some don't do it, some do it but only for certain thing.. it is a legal issue rather than a technology issue... I have seen them use a cable for video out on tech podcasts like all about android.. but I have no idea what they used or what it is compatable with...

a mouse is even trickier.. smartphones don't have cursors, so there is often a software issue

I would just go for something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C710-2834-11-6-Inch-Chromebook-Iron/dp/B00EYTI0TG/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1387607362&sr=1-2
a really cheap computer... like a chromebook
or a little more for a full windows laptop
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015E-DS01-10-1-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00BQH8QTI/ref=sr_1_5?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1387607362&sr=1-5

that is what I am considering for my next computer... that or like a really small cheap computer

EvilTw1n

The only limiting factor for me would be getting my resume saved so I could apply for new jobs. 95% of the time, I'm just web browsing at home. Just getting sick of computers dying on me. If my phone supports it, I could probably be OK with this.
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/02/how-to-use-your-android-phone-as-a-desktop-pc/

theMightyME

Omg, was playing around with Google now Easter eggs

Try

Beam me up Scotty
Do a barrel roll
When am I
What is ( insert celebrity name)'s bacon number

Also try okay Jarvis instead of ok Google... I. AM. IRON MAN.

EvilTw1n

Android, coming to an Audi / GM / Honda / Hyundai near you.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/your-car-will-soon-be-a-smartphone-2013-01-07

EvilTw1n

Bumping because:
1) This thread needs to keep living
2) If you want the best Android phone off contract, you need to check out Republic Wireless.
https://republicwireless.com/phones/moto-x

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
To all RTS fans I highly recommend Auralux. You will not regret it. It gives you a decently sized campaign with an extreme amount of replay value and also add on dl if you want more. It's free too so give it a shot

theMightyME

don't think I mentioned it yet.. but I have been really enjoying tictactics... unfortunately I loathe facebook so I don't have a way to play anybody but randoms
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hiddenvariable.tictactics
I desperately want to play "play nsfw" but it really needs an online mode
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameyey.playnsfw

EvilTw1n

Some stuff I'll have to check out here, assuming it'll work on my phone (which for some odd reason, is now having a hell of a time running Dots; whatever they added in as updates have really slowed it down).

And since this is kinda the thread where this fits in, I gotta ding Ting a little bit. They seem to have great customer service and I admire their model of doing business, but I went into their savings calculator and got told "you actually won't be saving money by using us, but try again, because it's probably a data entry error." No. It's not. I even tried both with and without my line fee ($5). Even if I maxed out usage into the same buckets that Ting uses, Zact would be a dollar cheaper. It's this way across the board (I went price comparing up and down their ranges). It ain't data entry. You've been beaten on granularity and rates, Ting. Right now, the only thing they're offering is a better range of phones, and that's because Zact purged a few others phones to make room for some new ones.

Also, I'm wondering how this is going to work out. It's an interesting new idea. 1GB of free data, but I wonder how far you can stretch that with lots of online gaming and Netflix streaming. Still, if you watch your usage, you can probably cut into your bill. Requires you consolidating your internet and phone service, but that'd be ok by me.

Anyone ever made their own Android App? Thinking about it myself and downloaded a few things I'm going to need, just wondering if anyone else attempted to do so.

theMightyME

what are some good apps( essentials as well) for a kindle fire?
the problem with kindle fire is that it doesn't have a play store... it only uses amazon's store, and I am not sure if you can side load the playstore onto the device... that being said, many of the apps we have discussed here can also be found on the amazon app store.. AND they offer 1 paid app for free every day as well... if there IS a way to sideload the play store I would recommend that though... I use both stores on my htc one, but rarely use the amazon app store at all

-------------

@Daniel_Switzer I have wanted to work on an android app but I am no good at coding.. I ehar it is exceptionallye asy to work on though with the biggest challenge being device fragmentation (as in there are so many different versions of the hardware and software) for testing

@Mike D. it was going to take 3 hours to download the update securely... so iw ent to bed and left it plugged in downstairs (where the wifi is more stable) so I'll get back to you... overall from what I have heard there isn't a HUGE difference.. but there is a new file system that is supposed to be more efficient but some apps have compatibility issues with (it is optional), it is designed to run on a wider array of devices at lower spec (it can run on phoens with only 512mb of ram) and is supposed to run a bit faster in general... it has a new launcher for aosp, but i would ahve to side load that since I am running sense (my phoens default launcher) and the new launcher isn't available outside of nexus devices yet (officially, it can be sideloaded though)...the biggets thing with the new launcher is that you can swipe left from the homescreen to go to google now which is always running now so you cna do the whole "ok google" thing even if youa re just on your home screen... (though not if it is in your pocket with the screen locked like you can on a moto X)... HTC has apparently made some changes to sense for the update as well, so I am going to have to see what those are...

it doesn't seem to be nearly as big of an update as ICS, but perhaps similar to the shift from ics to jb.. more refinement than huge change