Android App thread

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
So far with the HTC updates... I can turn blink feed off, and I can customize it way more... The way you access blink feed songs is better too... It seems faster too

theMightyME

so have had a few days with sense 5.5 and kit kat... it really is faster and handles multitasking better, quick settings is great improved, as is blink feed... some small UI tweaks have made things a little better, the recent apps section has way less bevel now for example... nothing too exciting.. the msot exciting thing I see is the addition of an htc apps app... nothign in it yet.. but hopefully it means htc will expand on its software without the need of major updates

------------

in other news.. today google made their chromecast sdk public.... so the flood starts in

well it'll take a bit longer than that lol, but now any app maker can add chromecast support and many already have and have just been waiting for this to happen to launch that version (allcast and poketcasts for example)

so this is pretty much game over for video streaming devices.. nobody had done it right before, now it has been done...

apple TV and roku never got huge penetration numbers, chromecast has had a huge early launch numbers, and this is just going to put it over the top... eventually it'll just be expected that if your app does video or audio streaming it'll have chromecast

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'm probably gonna have to break down and get Chromecast. I've done all of my TV viewing on my Wii U's Netflix, but I could stream in Hulu free from a computer, and watch Top Gear episodes from Final Gear.

On Kit Kat, I suppose an incremental leap was to be expected. It keeps me from being too jealous with my ICS phone. ;)

And if I can transfer my Viper over to this?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427326,00.asp

I'mma do it.

theMightyME

here is the things with android updates...

they always have 3 digits, and a name

so for exmaple the version of kit kat I have is 4.4.2

think of the digits like this

significant update - functional update - bug fixes and minor performance enhancements

so thta last significant update was 4.0.0 Ice cream sandwhich... but since then there have been 4 functional updates (4.1.0, 4.2.0, 4.3.0 (all jelly bean), and 4.4.0 (kitkat)) and countless bug fixes and performance tweaks... what I have now is the 2nd big fix/performance update version of kitkat

now here is where the names come into play... the names enter the equation with a strategic change... the names are all in alphabetic order starting with c (I imagine alpha and beta were the first 2 unreleased versions).... cupcake, donut, eclaire, froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kitkat

it seems that all of the named updates also reference what they are doing strategically... can't go all the way back... but I remember there being a lot of talk about ice cream sandwhich representing a decrease in fragmentation by uniting the phone (ginger bread) and tabelt (honeycomb) iterations of android into a single unified version... ice cream sandwhich representing 2 tastes together the cookie and the ice cream... not sure on jelly bean but I think it had to do with creating a unified design aesthetic.. it actually started with ics but became a much bigger thing with jelly bean and the whole "holo" design that involved side bar menus and hamburger icons (3 lines stacked on top eahcother usually seen in the left hand corner of an app)... I imagine the naming had to do with all the different flavors within the same form factor.... with kit kat the strategy has been aimed towards the expanded market by making the more advanced version of android run on cheaper lower powered devices, it only requires 512mb of ram where as I believe jelly bean required a gb... when they annoucned kitkat the expressed the importance of a candy that is common worldwide

the enxt verison will be an L word... my guess is lemon bar, or lemon meringue... we just have tow ait and see how they fit their next strategy messaging into that... and if it will be a massive update (5.0.0) or a simple functional update (4.5.0)

it is just google's way of being cute.. like how the model number of the chromecast is h2g2-42 with h2g2 being a commonly used abbreviation for hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, and 42 being the meaning of life from that book series... google is big on cute little geeky easter eggs and such

EvilTw1n

I had thought the lead-off number was the most important, but I didn't know about the other two. So you get an update to certain functions, and updates just for bugs and performance buffing. Mine is running 4.0.4, and I'm pretty happy with it, all things considered. The small issues I have with the phone (battery life, running hot, a touch thick) have nothing to do with the OS. So even if KitKat would take up less space and work better on my phone, it's not like I'm wanting for solid functionality.

Speaking of that...
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Browser-Wars-the-best-10-Android-browsers-go-toe-to-toe-part-1_id48166

I think I may try out Puffin for my browser instead of Chrome.

theMightyME

so tictactics (one of my favorite android games) now allows log in through google + instead of just facebook

so anybody want to play with me now that I can play non-randoms?

theMightyME

holy crap.. any of you ever mess around with google voice? I'd always heard it was cool but never saw much in it... I had opened the app and didn't see much there... but I wanted a new voicemail service and I heard you could do that with it so i signed up... at first it was more annoying than anything... it made me press 1 after answering my call to accept it for example... I tried to adjust it in the app but there wasn't anything useful there... so I tried looking it up... apparently the REAL guts of google voice can only be accessed on a web browser.... but wow... the options are immense once you go into the web browser and start to chekc it all out it is nuts... you cans et up multiple devices for a single number, you can select different treatment and voicemail messages for different contacts (so you could have your friends be greeted with something rude and funny, and unknown numbers greeted with soemthign professional) they can even do spam filtering of spam phone numbers and block annoying calls automatically... you can make a widget and put it on any website and by clicking it the person can call you but it doesn't give them your number.. just all sorts of crazy stuff

youc an get a paid service version that gives you a new number and such or just use your existing number for free... this is just another one of those amazing badass features I never took notice of.... reminds me of the first time I started to udnerstand the power of syncing my contacts to g-mail... some people are freaked out by google and all the info they have on you... I for one accept my computer overlord

I highly suggest that anybody with an android phone needs to learn how to get into the guts of it and how to micromanage the hell out of their devices.. ebcause it is just amazing when you get into some stuff... at the very least sync your contacts and callender to your g-mail account

EvilTw1n

I finally decided to DL a weather app. Everyone speaks highly of weatherbug, so that's what I got.

It's tremendous. Gives you a temperature readout in the top tray, and the full app loads quickly and has all the pertinent details you'd ever want to see. Plus, it looks really nice.

Unfortunately, even though I only have it set to update every 6 hours right now, it's absolutely eating my battery. Probably gonna have to uninstall.

EvilTw1n

Does anyone else have an issue with multiple recipient texts?

I can send a dual text out to my friends (who are using iPhones, fwiw), but when they respond, it's only to me. And it seems they're doing whatever "reply all" they usually do with their phones.

theMightyME

Does anyone else have an issue with multiple recipient texts?

I can send a dual text out to my friends (who are using iPhones, fwiw), but when they respond, it's only to me. And it seems they're doing whatever "reply all" they usually do with their phones.
hmm.. haven't noticed such an issue... have you tried other sms apps.. I am using google's hangouts app

EvilTw1n

Happening again today, two different friends (although all four of the people I'm texting with have iPhones).

It's the text app that came with my phone, which I assume is just stock Android ICS. It's odd, because I can start off the chain, making it multi-recipient on my end, but they can't multi-reply to me. I can't find any menu adjust sort of thing, either.

[EDIT: Apparently this isn't a new sort of issue, and may be iOS related on their end. All of my friends do have iPhones...]

theMightyME

are all of your friends hipsters? ughh lol

I could see it being a little iOS thing apple doesn't play well with others

even so you could try out a few other sms apps.. perhaps ask for your friends to help you do some tests... try it with hangouts.. try it with sliding sms.. perhaps look up some others

hangouts is the best sms app I have used personally... it is becoming a replacement for the stock android messaging app but isn't stock.. all the stock android stuff is what is called aosp and is open source.. where as hangouts is google proprietary kind of like the google now launcher on the nexus 5 (though hangouts is available to everyone)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.talk

have you done a remote install yet? you can instal apps from your computer.. just be logged into the google account that your phone uses go to the google play website and you can install apps from your computer and they will push directly to your phone... kind of a cool little thing

EvilTw1n

If I install hangouts, will it merge my old texts?

Also, I was wrong, one of the two friends I mentioned in the previous post has a Nokia Win8 phone (which I got to check out before he moved back to Cali; quite a neat thing, I must say). So it's three iPhones and one Windows phone. The next time I go see my friends down the street, I'm going to have them both send me a text to see what happens and shows up on their end. If it's all on Apple, then there's not much that can be done, I suppose.

This guide is no use, as my settings tab doesn't give me a "thread group messages" option.

Menashe

are all of your friends hipsters? ughh lol
From what I've seen, it's much more hipster to buy an Android. Casuals love iPhones because they're sleek and intuitive and they're a brand name that gives you higher social status. Basically, if you're a shallow individual. :p (Or within the lower 95% depth range of society.) They only buy an Android if they can't afford an iPhone. Hipsters love Androids because you can actually hack them and do lots with them software-wise and technology-wise. Also, they're from Google, so if you're a tech-geek, it's love at first site.

99% of the city I live in is obsessed with iPhones. The only people I know who are into Androids are nerdy gamers such as myself, or those who understand technology.

theMightyME

I have a different definition of hipster than you lol... When I think hipster I think of the characters of HBOs girls, not geeks....

Though besides what hipster means, I agree with you... Android is clearly the master race... And iPhone Is a status symbol like a Rolex

Hipsters and trendy fucks = iPhone
Contrarians = winmo
Poor people = Samsung android
Gaudy people = Samsung android
Elitists = nexus android
Design conscious geeks = htc android
Hardcore geeks = whatever has power android (Samsung, htc, nexus, LG, Motorola, Sony, etc)
Moms = Samsung android or iphone
Dads = durable flip phone

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
When did I become a hipster or trendy fuk? I just like something super simple and perfect for my business. That's why I went with iPhone. I do not understand PC at all, and all other smart phones outside of iPhone were like a PC for myself.

I don't wanna be neither of those labels cause they didn't factor into my purchase.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Wait, I thought most people preferred iPhones? In fact, it's generally us hipsters who go for the Android. I just went with it because my dad went for an Android phone

theMightyME

When did I become a hipster or trendy fuk? I just like something super simple and perfect for my business. That's why I went with iPhone. I do not understand PC at all, and all other smart phones outside of iPhone were like a PC for myself.

I don't wanna be neither of those labels cause they didn't factor into my purchase.
my list is MOSTLY in jest... but android is WAY better than iOS.... it is like the difference between a stick shift sports car and an automatic econo box with a mercedes logo glued on the hood over the kia

there is NOTHING you can do on an iphone that you cannot do on an android, and TONS you can do on android that you cannot do on an iphone...

for you matt, you aren't computer savvy, and as far as I know this is your first smart phone... so it is understandable

as for the hipster thing

hipster is NOT a term for the minority... it is a term for the people who come into a scene YEARS after the early adopters, and act like they are the trendsetters

hipster

geek

an android user is harassed in san fransisco for wearing google glass... an iphone user (hipster) vomits on the side of a bus because it represents the tech business "gentrifying" san fransisco

hipsters are pretty anti google in general.. geeks adore google... hipsters protest google and other tech companies and throw up on the side of their buses, or enact performance art where they pretend to be a google employee acting like an entitled bitch so that others have negative opinions of them
http://www.sfbg.com/politics/2013/12/09/whyd-you-do-it-we-ask-fake-google-employee-max-bell-alper
http://recode.net/2014/04/02/splashy-tactics-tech-shuttle-protestor-vomits-on-yahoo-bus/

my sister was a san fransisco hipster and she has a bunch of friends that still fit that profile like a glove... they all use iphones, they all bitch about tech companies gentrifying san fransisco, etc...

EvilTw1n

Alas, phone elitism. :p

I think Android used to be the "for geeks/nerds/rooting-hacking" crowd. That's certainly the reputation it had to me, and seemed to earn it with the older Android phones I played around with. But since ICS (where I jumped in), its front end is far more user friendly. And when I first got it, my friends (who are iPhone users - and are fellow nerds, fwiw) who played around with it for a few minutes pretty much knew exactly how to operate things fluidly and intuitively. The depth for greater customization is still there with Android, but the user-friendliness is up there with iOS now because Android got streamlined and simplified in the right ways up front. For probably 75% (at least) of users, the differences are completely negligible - you run apps, play games, browse the web, stream videos, exchange texts, take pictures, and occasionally use the phone part of your phone.

And with the 8.1 update, Windows phone is getting there, too. I got to play around with one a few days ago. It's very good.

Use the OS that works for you. Who cares what the stereotype is of each operating system?

...that might be the most internet thing I've ever said.

theMightyME

windows phone has no support though, not enough apps, plus.. like iphone it just self populates your screen without giving you control

EvilTw1n

It might not have had support a few years ago, but it has all the basics now - Facebook, twitter, weatherbug, a good number of games, Pandora/Spotify, Netflix/Hulu/youtube for the streamers...hell, even has gmail now (plus, Android's total number of apps is horribly bloated - you only need so many flashlight apps). For heavy phone aficionados, it won't take the place of Android, of course, but it's not a sparse wasteland anymore.

theMightyME

It might not have had support a few years ago, but it has all the basics now - Facebook, twitter, weatherbug, a good number of games, Pandora/Spotify, Netflix/Hulu/youtube for the streamers...hell, even has gmail now (plus, Android's total number of apps is horribly bloated - you only need so many flashlight apps). For heavy phone aficionados, it won't take the place of Android, of course, but it's not a sparse wasteland anymore.
it is still pretty lacking though... for example... on chromecast and google services.. both iphone and android are feature rich... and winmo is WAY behind... same goes for a lot of multimedia apps and of course games

EvilTw1n

OK...wth, Google?

My phone says "hey, a new gmail is available." OK, cool. Update. As soon as I update: "This app won't run without Google Play services, which are missing from your phone."

Oh, FFS. Fine. So what do Play services need access to on my phone? Freaking everything, apparently. I'd really rather not, Google. I mean, fine, you need the phone identity. But why the fuck do you need access to my photos? You really, really, really don't.

I'd rather just go back to my old version of Gmail. But you can't, because you don't get the option to go back one update. No, you only get the option to uninstall all updates for Gmail. Which I did, and now I'm back to a version of Gmail I don't think I've ever freaking seen, because it went back to the factory version that shipped with this phone, which I updated the first time I powered the thing up.

Gettin' tired of this ish. I can deal with a Weatherbug update sucking, but Gmail is a little more important.

theMightyME

OK...wth, Google?

My phone says "hey, a new gmail is available." OK, cool. Update. As soon as I update: "This app won't run without Google Play services, which are missing from your phone."

Oh, FFS. Fine. So what do Play services need access to on my phone? Freaking everything, apparently. I'd really rather not, Google. I mean, fine, you need the phone identity. But why the fuck do you need access to my photos? You really, really, really don't.

I'd rather just go back to my old version of Gmail. But you can't, because you don't get the option to go back one update. No, you only get the option to uninstall all updates for Gmail. Which I did, and now I'm back to a version of Gmail I don't think I've ever freaking seen, because it went back to the factory version that shipped with this phone, which I updated the first time I powered the thing up.

Gettin' tired of this ish. I can deal with a Weatherbug update sucking, but Gmail is a little more important.
ok.. so first off google play services is how google is dealing with fragmentation... they are taking a lot of the minor updates away from full android releases and instead piping them through constantly.. google play services touches EVERYTHING on your phone because it is an extension of the OS as a whole.. so I would just accept it...

if you are just that adamant not to... you could probably find an older version and sideload it

sideloading is when you download the apk from a different source and install it...

I didn't read this.. but this should help
http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-install-google-apps-kindle-fire-hd-hdx/30736/
the kindle fire is an android device that doesn't use google play services... so the same method there should work for you

theMightyME

by the way... google now has been updated with some cool shit... now I can say "okay google" whenever my phone's screen is on (even if I am in a different app) and it'll launch a voice search.. this is somehwere between what the google now launcher on the nexus 5 added and what the moto x offers (which you need special hardware for)... it works great, and it has you do an "ok google" 3 times... I had my mom try it on my device and it doesn't recognize her voice as mine... so it doesn't respond.. sweet

another addition is context sensitive corrections... I tried this out... lets say you say "ok google... what is the weather like in paris, france" and google thinks you said "okay google... what is the weather like inside my pants" well now you can say "no... I said paris, france" and it can figure out which part you are changing... it works brilliantly and is another step towards making voice control conversational... you could already do stuff like "who is barack obama?" and then add "how tall is he?" and it would know you were still talking about him.. and you could even chain it by saying "who is his wife" and then "how tall is she"

I am really thinking about getting android wear now too... I don't normally like watches... but the way it is just a huge extension of google now really excites me... and you can control all your android notifications on it... so I can control my chromecast with it and such...

I am waiting to see what HTC does for their android wear device... if I get one it'll probably be the moto 360 or the new htc one... I love HTC's design sensibilities, and moto (since they were acquired by google) has done a lot of interesting and fun things with tech... the moto x is still way ahead of everythign else with voice control for example... but it isn't some shitty 3rd party os breaking shit... it is a sheer extension of google now itself... all stuff I wish would just became standard across all android devices.

but man.. the moto 360 is the best looking smart watch yet... but I think htc will top it.. their rumored watch is supposedly round faced as well

sooo much money I want to spend.... c'mon lottery lol

EvilTw1n

ok.. so first off google play services is how google is dealing with fragmentation... they are taking a lot of the minor updates away from full android releases and instead piping them through constantly.. google play services touches EVERYTHING on your phone because it is an extension of the OS as a whole.. so I would just accept it...
Really wish Google was as good as you are at explaining their own services.

Had they just given me a pop up that says "it's basically part of the OS itself and updates Android," I'd have grokked why it needs all of the permissions (of course it needs to read texts and see pictures and change network connectivity if it's an OS extension). Instead my phone readout just says "hey you need this, it helps update apps and it can help a little with GPS and power consumption, but it requires every permission under the sun."

A little digging from Ars.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...oems-step-aside-google-is-defragging-android/

Specifically this:

I don't like that it can apparently "give itself more permissions without the user's consent," but it makes a lot more sense as to why.

If it's constantly running in the background, it may kill my tiny battery, but if there is any additional efficiency to be had, it could balance out. I'm curious now.

EvilTw1n

Alright, DL-ed the comparatively ginormous Play Services.

Pros:
-The OS moves quicker. I wouldn't say my phone was slow (others might), but it had gotten a touch more bogged down. Pretty darn snappy now.
-Current gmail, not an outdated version.
-Radar loads in weatherbug.

Cons:
-Space. Had to move/delete some things.
-Destroyed my battery. Absolutely wrecked it. Completely drained. In 8 hours. While idling overnight on the table next to my bed. Not kidding, and not cool.

I was about ready to call this par for the course, just part of doing business in the modern smartphone world (iOS updates are notorious for battery draining older phones, after all - gotta plan for obsolescence somehow, I suppose). But I did some searching, to mostly no avail. The common advice is "turn off GPS, bluetooth, and any useless background apps." Useless advice for me, since I never use bluetooth, rarely use GPS (usually keep it off) and run a pretty spartan phone set up (I don't have much on my phone, and have uninstalled everything superfluous that Android will let me).

Then yesterday, while in the midst of another short day of battery use, I thought "well, what the hell, I'll turn GPS on and see if that drains it any quicker."

And somehow it didn't. I eeked out 11 hours - while actually using the phone this time. I've left it on today, too. After unplugging at 7:30 am and playing Pew Pew for about 20 minutes on break, I still have 89% battery.

But it apparently wasn't the GPS. Last time I checked the battery, Play Services was listed on its own using 66% to 70% (!) of the battery. Now? It's not there. The screen is back to being my number one battery eater, and regular Android is back to number two.

No clue what's going on here. I didn't uninstall Play Services or anything.

theMightyME

I could be any number of things, you might have had a bad process open before that was overdraining your battery, but after your phone shut off when the battery ran out the process restarted without issue

there are battery management programs you can find that allow you to customize how your apps run in the background.. like for example you can stop facebook from pinging for updates constantly and make it search for updates only when you launch it... things like that can reserve battery life massively

EvilTw1n

Turns out it isn't an uncommon problem.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/399296-google-play-services-draining-battery.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-google-services-draining-up-all-battery.html

Play Services was using almost 70% of my battery, so I'd wager it got caught up with some app while updating.

Now, hopefully I can keep on using my updated phone (Zact is being absorbed into Sprint, and they've been silent on how - or if - the service will survive under new management).

EvilTw1n

Also, I find this really interesting.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/30/5951335/virgin-mobile-offers-control-at-expense-of-net-neutrality

Zact, the MVNO I have been on, has gotten semi-absorbed by Sprint, who will now offer Zact's granular approach to smartphone plans via Virgin Mobile Custom (apparently it'll be a little less granular, which I'm OK with so long as they ditch the $5 monthly line maintenance fee).

But Zact has always allowed more than just buying minutes, texts and data. They've offered app chunks for a certain price that don't eat into your data. So you could separately buy unlimited access to Facebook or Twitter, which wouldn't eat into your data. Pretty much everyone thought this was a neat idea.

Except now that it's all under a major carrier, people think it's a net neutrality disaster.

I'm not sure, either way. I wouldn't buy extra access to social media stuff, so it hasn't effected me. Does allowing the option for buying unlimited access to Facebook cause a huge ethical dilemma, or does it allow people to use their actual data plan to go to more web sites than they otherwise would have?

theMightyME

Also, I find this really interesting.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/30/5951335/virgin-mobile-offers-control-at-expense-of-net-neutrality

Zact, the MVNO I have been on, has gotten semi-absorbed by Sprint, who will now offer Zact's granular approach to smartphone plans via Virgin Mobile Custom (apparently it'll be a little less granular, which I'm OK with so long as they ditch the $5 monthly line maintenance fee).

But Zact has always allowed more than just buying minutes, texts and data. They've offered app chunks for a certain price that don't eat into your data. So you could separately buy unlimited access to Facebook or Twitter, which wouldn't eat into your data. Pretty much everyone thought this was a neat idea.

Except now that it's all under a major carrier, people think it's a net neutrality disaster.

I'm not sure, either way. I wouldn't buy extra access to social media stuff, so it hasn't effected me. Does allowing the option for buying unlimited access to Facebook cause a huge ethical dilemma, or does it allow people to use their actual data plan to go to more web sites than they otherwise would have?
it makes sense... but it is also a startup killer... would facebook have succeeded if myspace had a deal like that when they were on top?
that is the troubling precedent

EvilTw1n

it makes sense... but it is also a startup killer... would facebook have succeeded if myspace had a deal like that when they were on top?
that is the troubling precedent
I see the danger here, but I'm not sure if it's as much a net neutrality issue as much as it's just a capitalism issue. It's sort of like saying HBO violates net neutrality because a cable company can offer it alone - the cable company is only going to offer it alone if there's a demand for it.

In other news, SMS Backup+ is freaking awesome. It's stupidly simple, goes right into your gmail. It is a little odd in how it breaks up your messages (seems to sort chronologically by the 3rd of each month), but that's OK. Wish I had this before (my phone defaulted to only keeping 400 texts per contact, so I lost a lot before I set that off). I also wonder if what in your gmail can be saved separately - delete stuff off of your phone, and keep it in gmail.

In shit news, Zact's transition into Virgin Mobile Custom fucking sucks. They jacked up the line fee, and did away with the lower-end granular options. My old bill for 150-200 minutes of talk, 600-700 texts and 100-200 mb data came to like $18 after tax...and that was the high end.
I got it down to $15 a few months (100 mins, 500 texts, 100 mb). To get a commensurate service with VMC, I'll pay at least $25, since I usually go over 500 texts each month. It jumps to $30 if I use a bit more data. And once you get to $30? Might as well just go to T-Mobile's $30 plan and get a phone that does WiFi calling - I rarely talk outside of my apartment, so for me that's close to being a $30 unlimited plan.

Sucks. When I bought my phone, Sprint was supposed to have LTE up in my neck of the woods that fall, and I wasn't thinking Zact would disappear. A little under a year later, no Zact and no LTE.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

-So...the new mobile Chrome browser. Really like the darker motif for incognito browsing. Meh on the new overall aesthetic. Not a fan of the functionality at all - doesn't go directly to my favorites/bookmarks page, now requires two taps to stop loading, etc.

-Google Play has, for the most part, settled the hell down and isn't eating battery life like a black hole. However, all of its updates changed the way my phone uses its battery. Before, it was more even battery time between idle and use. Now, there is far less battery siphoned in idle, but far more taken in use. It balances out to nil, pretty much (I get no more or less time out of a charge).

-Play has also slightly sped up the phone's overall performance at the expense of smoothness. Transitions are more jarring now.

-Virgin Mobile fucked up the merging with Zact. Really disappointed. Visual voicemail is gone. The new UI for monitoring and changing your plan crashes every time I try to adjust it (not an exaggeration - this app is a kludge for original Zact devices). And instead of actually looking at your plan usage and billing you for what you use, Virgin makes you readjust at the end of every month up to the limits you used. So if it slips your mind that you only used 200 mb of web and you paid for 500 mb, you'll pay for 500 mb, anyways - completely defeating the purpose of granular billing.

-Zact was really onto something with their app. It always worked (super stable), it was fair, it offered waaaaaaay more options than Ting. Virgin's version may work alright on the new phones they're offering, but any older Zact users are SOL.

-Probably going to go to Ting or T-Mobile now. Will take my time on the decision, though, since I have this phone, anyways. I just hate Virgin's customer support (horrendous), shady nature on billing, and crappy Sprint speeds. Probably gonna end up getting a phone that has WiFi calling out of the box and doesn't require a Google Voice account (Voice would use standard minutes from my phone plan, regardless, so it's useless for me on the current LG). Ting is attractive because with WiFi calling, I could probably get by with a $17 monthly bill...but it's on Sprint, which still has no 4G in my area, the 3G is balls slow, and without being careful (or without WiFi calling), I'm spending over $30 a month. T-Mobile has spottier data, but has 4G speeds here, and with a phone that'll use WiFi calling (yes, even a lowly cheap Lumia* does it), I would functionally have unlimited everything for $30 a month.

[*Yeah, I'm tempted to buy this. You can't argue with $20. But you can argue with having to use it on Metro PCS for three months, which is $120, before porting to T-Mobile.]