Are video games getting popular?

Odo

I was reading this interview about this UFC figther who plays and stream games and I was wondering if video games are finally getting popular and becoming a mainstream family hobby at least among young people.

When I say video games, I mean console and PC. I know that mobile games are games too, but they're more like solitaire and crosswords than real deep video game experience.

What do you think guys? What's the state of gaming as an adult activity in 2016? Is it finally getting "normal" to say "I play video games whenever I want" or is it still something related to people who have "nothing better to do", the nerds and forum users :D?

In my experience, at least 60% of my friends are gamers. The ones that aren't gamers consider playing games all right. It wasn't like that back in the days, like 10 years ago, when just a minority of the people I knew played games. I work with tech, though. You know.. they're usually nerds.

I know that it's hard to answer this question and "get popular" might mean nothing. I believe that there are many levels of how popular a hobby can be. For example, I believe that video games are finally a thing that any person can recognise and understand. I mean, 15 years ago, if my grandmother could see me cutting people's throats on Dishonored she'd say something like "OMG, this is Satan's work" and throw up.

I think today a lot of people could call video games too violent or nonsense, but at least almost all of them can understand that it's a real computer thing that people play and just get over it if they don't like it.

However there's the level of popular of cinema for example. I think the cost of owning PC/console games will never let video games be as popular as cinema or watching TV series and sport. Shows and films are everywhere but you still need to invest a few hundreds of dollars before getting your video game experience.

The same about slebs and VIPs. They usually talk about the sports and teams they like and activities they do and support. Some of them are runners, others are Yankees fans, they like music, but it's still rare to see a hollywood star saying "I play FPS, I love Battlefield...", even though now many of them are playing Pokemon Go and tweeting about it. Pokemon Go is something else, though.

So, what do you think?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
In my experience, playing video games has always been that thing that people did when they were younger, but as adults, it's still not as common. That being said, when you have folks in the public eye admitting to their own video game hobby, it does I think help break that barrier of video games being this sort of taboo form of media that will rot your brain full of nothingness, and is only a means to kill time, as well as waste it.

I've always looked as video games in the same vain as reading a book, watching television, or partaking in viewing a movie. It's all the same to me, and I find it baffling with the people who think that video games are that much different. Gamers' brains are wired slightly differently compared to non-Gamers, so specific tasks that involve quick timing, and other select motor skills, we have an easier time with it. I remember a study that came out a few years ago or so that said surgeons who played video games were much better at their job due to the fine motor skills needed, and quick reactions to doing the job right.

To answer your question though, I do believe video games are becoming more popular, and for the better. To those who think that mobile gaming is going to be the death of "traditional" game as we know it, I don't see that happening. I do however see more big-time publishers and other developers closing up shop due to the big blockbuster titles.

Odo

In my experience, playing video games has always been that thing that people did when they were younger, but as adults, it's still not as common. That being said, when you have folks in the public eye admitting to their own video game hobby, it does I think help break that barrier of video games being this sort of taboo form of media that will rot your brain full of nothingness, and is only a means to kill time, as well as waste it.

I've always looked as video games in the same vain as reading a book, watching television, or partaking in viewing a movie. It's all the same to me, and I find it baffling with the people who think that video games are that much different. Gamers' brains are wired slightly differently compared to non-Gamers, so specific tasks that involve quick timing, and other select motor skills, we have an easier time with it. I remember a study that came out a few years ago or so that said surgeons who played video games were much better at their job due to the fine motor skills needed, and quick reactions to doing the job right.

To answer your question though, I do believe video games are becoming more popular, and for the better. To those who think that mobile gaming is going to be the death of "traditional" game as we know it, I don't see that happening. I do however see more big-time publishers and other developers closing up shop due to the big blockbuster titles.
Yes, I agree that mobile gaming can't destroy traditional gaming. They're totally different markets. Plus, PCs didn't kill consoles back in the days either.

Me too, for me playing games is as normal hobby.

I've been reading that in Japan playing games is still sort of shameful. I don't know if it's still true. In the West, things are improving.

tekshow

Seems like more people are gaming in general. A lot of my clients are 25-35 years old and we are always talking about games across platforms. We've even had a few gatherings centered around gaming. Everyone's spouse or SO will usually play something even if they're not really a gamer. 5-10 years ago it didn't seem to be the case. Almost everybody seems to have some sort of gaming console or PC.

I think the adults who don't game are usually focused on their kids or raising a new family. "I don't have time for that ..." translates to me that it isn't a maturity issue as much as it is scheduling.

Its certainly not like when I was in high school in the 90's and it was embarrassing to tell people you played games. PS2 brought some relevancy but the WiiS360 genretion blew open the doors.

Koenig

The Architect
Gaming has become as ubiquitous as sports (at least here in the US) and only expect to see its popularity/acknowledgement grow.

I've been seeing reports of the video game industry outperforming Hollywood for a long time now, and if those reports are accurate (I have no idea if they are or not), then I think it's fair to say video games are pretty popular.
Anecdotally, most of the people I know my age or younger are gamers who currently own a console and/or gaming PC, so I think you're completely right in saying that gaming seems to be gaining mainstream popularity.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2009/sep/27/videogames-hollywood