Are you Disappointed in Nintendo?

Koenig

The Architect
Are you Disappointed in Nintendo? If so, why?

It's a simple question but one I have been asking myself and others with increasing frequency for the past few years. With recent choices in particular I have been asking myself this question with even greater frequency, so I think it is a bout time we set aside any petty loyalty we may or may not have about the company and take a retrospective look at Nintendo over the past 10 years. What has Nintendo done (or failed to do) that has disappointed you?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm not they still deliver top notch games I enjoy to play.

I also don't have very much free time or times to play games in general. But I lived thru the N64 in which I had 3 games for while I was in HS with plenty of free time and money. From that point it's hard for and dev or console maker to disappoint me, and that's my benchmark for my personal worse gamin time ever.

Koenig

The Architect
My disappointments stems from multiple reasons:

First and foremost is Nintendo's habit these days of innovating for innovations sake. Rather than making improvements to a system through innovation or refining existing idea's that they have had, Nintendo has perpetually been scrapping one idea after another and forcing gimmicks into their control schemes where traditional controls are often far better; this places both their consoles and handhelds in an odd position because of the awkward (and often expensive) gimmicks that developers and gamers have to work with, while on the software side of things it frequently means that games have to make compromises or use inferior control methods compared to what could be done. What makes this most painful to me though, I love that innovation; but innovation solely for the sake of innovation does not improve anything and in fact gets in the way of existing, better options. While I am sure not every one feels the same, I know for a fact that there are many people do.

Next up is the continuous "New Super Mario Bros-ification" of the vast majority of their new games. Your probably asking me, what the fuck is that supposed to mean? So please allow me to explain: In the past Nintendo games almost always did something that was actually innovative, building off of existing mechanics and improving upon them while raising the bar. connecting hub worlds, massive side quests, detailed and creative artwork, evolving game-play mechanics, player context, and a surplus of depth in every game. However in more recent years their games have become muted by comparison, with little ambition, a desire to stay within a comfort zone, and rarely ever trying anything new beyond a control gimmick. I use New Super Mario Bros as an example because it best fits the situation; ever since the games release gone are the days of hub worlds, or changing levels, gone is the evolution of game-play, replaced instead with dull map screens, continuous streams of floating platforms, and gimmicky power-ups. This is not just limited to Super Mario platforming series mind you, as all of the later Mario games have effectively adopted the same mentality.

There are only so many times I can say to myself "Maybe Next year they will have games that I want..." when Nintendo fails to show off anything of interest at E3. It is not a health consumer relationship, especially when I could be get games I do want to play had I chosen a different platform to support with my limited income. Not that Nintendo games are bad mind you, most of them will always have some degree polish and are perfectly functional, but gone are the days when you could reliably count on a Nintendo game to be truly Great, pushing the bounds of what games could do and evolving the respective franchise drastically. Look at any almost any Nintendo related news regarding their new games, and take a gander at the comments; most of these are not vengeful haters, but fans who have been repeatedly disappointed and are embittered, simply wanting a return to form and a better game than what came before.

The third major gripe I have is simply the companies unwillingness to adopt industry standards like voice chat and unified accounts. Nintendo is seemingly oblivious to what their competitors offer, to the point of ignoring them outright. While in many ways I applaud Nintendo for sticking to their guns, there are simply times when enough is enough. Why can't I talk to my friends while playing games online? Why is making a party when playing online so difficult? Why can't I use my system to play music or edit photos? (Something the gamepad would have been great at) why is the e-shop so poorly laid out? etc.etc.etc. On there own these are all mostly minor nitpicks, but as a whole it shows an unwillingness to improve for seemingly no reason.

I have been waiting patiently for Nintendo to turn around their behavior for ten years, but have been left continuously disappointed in the process. I am tired of this, to the point that I now expect everything they announce to disappoint me.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I am a bit, but it isn't this depressing news that we got that did it... as depressing as it is, it might also be completely necessary... if the delay means that zelda is amazing and the NX launches strong with a steady stream of games than it is completely worth the momentary discomfort we have now... if the lack of NX info means they have a pretty significant surprise for us, than I can forgive the e3 avoidance....

but I have been disappointed in Nintendo for a long time with little things here and there

1. Their localization policy... though it is improving, it is still infuriating... and the fervent demand for mother 3 being completely unanswered, for example, is the kind of thing I can't imagine any other company doing.

2. full 3d zelda... talking about the console games... they have been in a rut for a while, they tend to introduce some really cool stuff, but then suffer from TONS of bad ideas, or the over adherence to a gimmick... most recently skyward sword, the disconnected world was annoying, the lack of stuff to do in the sky sucked, and the motion controls were WAY over done... I liked using motion for sword play when it was smart, like fighting those plants.... but then the second you got in a hit it was basically "time to waggle" and that ruined the whole illusion... then there was the use of motion for stupid things like steering a mine cart, and perhaps worst of all, the switch from IR to gyro for anything that requires aiming. That beign said I loved other aspects, the run button, the upgradable items and badges, the little side quests on skyloft.

3. voice chat... this one isn't even so much for me, but it is ridiculous the way they hold back a feature people depend on, not for technical limitations but because of social fears, as mike said before, no voice chat is the new friend codes

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Oh, where to begin. Well...
3. voice chat... this one isn't even so much for me, but it is ridiculous the way they hold back a feature people depend on, not for technical limitations but because of social fears, as mike said before, no voice chat is the new friend codes
...that's as good a place as any. I understand that Nintendo wants to be "family friendly." I understand that this whole "we prefer in-the-room multiplayer"-thing makes some sense in the land of Monster Hunter. And I get that a country that still uses FAX machines so often isn't exactly keen to jump at some technologies, as Japan is perpetually a decade behind with some of this stuff.

But FFS they're a hardware technology company with a global reach, and it's 2016. There are no more excuses to be had here. Voice chat matters to a lot of people who play videogames. If Nintendo cannot be arsed to do it themselves for their software, then they need to build a back door in the hardware so that a chat program can always be running. Put Skype or Discord or Slack or Ventrilo or Fring or Google Voice or Mumble or any of the other VoIP apps out there on the eShop and unlock some CPU juice to run it. I'll go out of my way to call people while playing Splatoon. But I shouldn't have to.

So, that aside?

-Devising neat hardware and then making conventional software to run on it. The Wii remote was awesome. Then they release Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros, Kart, Xenoblade, DKC, Kirby, Excite racers...all of which were either barely enhanced, or not enhanced at all, by motion controls. Stop thinking up neat hardware, and then not giving us the software that would take advantage of it.

-Droughts. Droughts. Droughts. This is a key thing that Nintendo doesn't seem to understand: we always want to have something to look forward to. I don't need a key release every month; I need to know that games I want exist and are being developed and have release dates. Now, some of this may be handled by consolidating development teams between hardware devices, but Nintendo can really do more by looking at an effing calendar. Nothing, nothing, nothing, oh here's Pokken, TP HD, and Star Fox.
"Awesome, thanks! What's the next big game I have to look forward to, Nintendo?"
"¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

-As Ty said, localization. Yeah, it's the old OpRainfall team ganging up on Nintendo for niche games. Deal with it. There was obviously an audience for Xenoblade. If they had bothered with Pandora's Tower (thanks, XSEED, for stepping up), they could have easily sold that here by marketing it as a gothic action game. There would have been an audience here for Zangeki no Reginleiv for the same reason that there is an audience here for Attack on Titan. The old "it's just too Japanese for the West"-line of thinking no longer applies. 15 years ago, there weren't huge audiences that knew what cosplay is, or who had much knowledge of anime, or who knew what an Atlus-style RPG is. In the age of Crunchyroll, lots of people under the age of 30 do. This is not a small audience. Cater to it. And none of this "but it costs too much!" nonsense. You're an effing Japanese company that plans on selling to the rest of the world, so act like it. We don't even need English VA; just do subtitles. For every bit of dialog or menu created, those words should go directly into a compiler for other languages. Every. Time. No. Exceptions. This is not brain surgery. If XSEED can make a living on localizing games that barely sell anything in the West, Nintendo can figure out Mother 3.

-If you legitimately don't care about third parties, invest in companies like Treasure and Kuju and Platinum and Vanillaware. My disappointment in not playing certain games available on PS/XB can be directly assuaged by having these types of games available.

Now, all of that said...

I also don't have very much free time or times to play games in general. But I lived thru the N64 in which I had 3 games for while I was in HS with plenty of free time and money. From that point it's hard for and dev or console maker to disappoint me, and that's my benchmark for my personal worse gamin time ever.
I can't play as much as I want to (or used to), and I'm not displeased with my Wii U. Far from it. In some ways, it's the perfect console for someone like me who wants to game and maybe has time to buy 4-6 games a year, if that.

But it's these little gripes that add up over a long period of time. I don't want to have to set up a conference call every time I want to play with my friends. I don't want to keep looking at neat Japanese games and hearing "it's too expensive to localize that." I don't want to keep looking at my GamePad and wondering what could have been, but never will be.

AutisAwsome

AKA FloppyPony. I am on twitter and facebook to :3
I am a little disappointed with their recent choices will my fav franchises such as paper Mario and such but I will still always check to see if they have made a good game or two and probably will always come back

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Overall I'd say yes I'm dissappointed. Though I do enjoy a lot of their first party games... Those droughts since the n64 have been a thing I always disliked. Their consoles lack of 3rd party support, is my biggest reason. I would miss out on so many games if I wasn't a multiplat owner. I've mentioned racing games are amongst my favorite genre to play. Yeah that genre has been a collasal failure since the wii on their consoles... When i first got a 360 i picked up like 7 or 8 racing games almost immediately.

Online multiplayer, yes i rarely play online, but i've been dissapointed by it heavily. I don't really need to go into the details about it. Their digital content... ugh... it makes me avoid buying anything on there. Exceptions is if it's just too good for me to skip and doesn't cost a lot. mario karts 8 dlc being basically the only example for me. Too far behind the times on it with all the restrictions.

Hardware I can understand not wanting to compete head to head with sony and microsoft, but I have disliked them being a full gen behind. Wii I wish was strong enough to handle 720p even if the games looked identical aside from a resolution increase in terms of what they did in them. Other things about their hardware... No ethernet port was an annoyance, I strongly dislike relying on wifi, especially where i am for gaming. multimedia, though i wouldn't use them that much I wish they did do more than just play games and nothing else. It doesn't bother me if it's like a cheap device, but if it's a multi hundred dollar device something competetion has been doing for years now.. It has been a dislike of mine.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
I'm not disappointed in Nintendo.

1. No company or artist is perfect. You have ups and downs. Nintendo has had some down strokes in the past decade or so, but for the most part, I've stilled loved the consoles and games they've made. Yes, I will agree that some of their games have become either a little too derivative or a little too "gimmicky" but they've still hit a couple of home runs, and I basically enjoy every game they release that I buy.

2. Nintendo has had a series of marketing and financial errors over the years. There is no denying that. I am not disappointed because of Nintendo launching NX in 2017, or in that they're not making many more Wii U games. Nintendo is doing what it needs to do to secure its future, not its present. I don't look at thing through such an immediate lens as to be disappointed in Nintendo for planning prudently, and as far as I can tell, learning from their mistakes.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm a little numb to Nintendo right now. I guess becoming this detached from them is a sign of disappointment, but either way my feelings aren't very strong one way or the other. I think they still make great games, and I hate how they lack features that I've come to expect as standard. I'm looking forward to whatever we'll see from the main Mario team, from Retro, from MonolithSoft (in 2-3 years), from the Splatoon team, and I'm hoping that Zelda NX is amazing. At the same time I won't be surprised if Retro's next game is a reboot of Wrecking Crew or the next 3D Mario can only be played in co-op and both people have to be in the same room with one foot on each side of the Wii Fit board or something stupid like that.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
One of my biggest problems with Nintendo lately is their lack of understanding towards Online. They simply just do not get it. I recall reading that when they were designing the Wii U, they never even looked to the competition to what they were doing and get some ideas there. THIS right here, if true, is part of the problem. Nintendo seems to live in a fantasy world where they are independent of Sony and Microsoft, and not in competition with them. Nintendo seems to be very keen on making sure no one steals their ideas by patenting everything, but then not even glance at their neighbors to see what answers they have on the test.

I think it's worse though when it seems for a lot of Nintendo's own games, they don't seem to acnowedge that the BIGGEST demographic of gamers is in that 18-35 age range (It's actually more like 25-40, but close enough). It's not that 5-17 age range, and I'm sorry, but not a lot of gamers do couch potato multiplayer anymore. Yeah, sure, people still do, and if you're an adult, probably while attending college and hanging out with friends, but for people like us? We're not exactly a niche group of gamers that are friends from across the world. This is the NEW age of multiplayer gaming, and it has also crossed continents and made the world feel smaller, yet more alive than ever.

I've said this before in the past, but it bears repeating. Nintendo talk all the time about bringing gamers together, and having a good time, which is where local multiplayer comes in. So...guess what people do a lot of when playing these games together? They make noises that come from their mouth. It's called speaking. People talk to people when we play games together. So why hasn't Nintendo applied that same logic to their own games for Online? I get it if you're afraid of playing against randoms, but that is why you have the ability to mute players that are annoying to you. You can also set up a party chat between your own friends, so only yourselves can be heard. It's a fundamentally brilliant idea, and cannot understand why Nintendo doesn't understand this form of communication. Although, Nintendo has had communication issues for years trying to market their shit, so I
guess it fits.

Another disappoint has been their insistence on always applying new ways to play games, rather than simply taking already existing mechanics and simply updating/improving them. Now, to be fair, a lot of people seem to be quite pleased about Gyro aiming in Splatoon, although I haven't spent a lot of time on it, so I'm not sure. I only know what when playing COD: Ghosts, IR aiming with the Wii remote was so good. But Nintendo seems to be adding bullshit gimmicks to their own games for the sake of it. One example that always sticks out is Mario 3D World. What in the ever lasting flying fuck is the point of blowing into the microphone to raise platforms? There are only like two buttons on the controller that get used, so it's not about the lack of inputs on the controller. Nintendo innovate (or gimmick) a lot of the time for the sake of it, rather than actually improving the games themselves.

Now, I understand that Nintendo feels as though they don't want games to get old and stale, and not evolving, but TV shows and Movies haven't changed all that much in the last hundred years when you think about it. Sure, we have better practical and special effects, and tools to make movies and TV show look better, but things like 3D, and smell-o-vision are not things that will move the industry forward. And I honestly don't think even something like VR, is also going to do that. VR will have a good initial launch, but I believe it'll come crashing down after the bubble bursts in the same way how 3D faulted not long after James Cameron's Avatar came out. The PSVR will become the Avatar of innovation. Have this tremendous first launch, and other companies and developers will follow suit, but in the end, it'll slowly fade away.

That beings said, however, I still love the Wii U, and I love their games, but damn it, these little things keep adding up over time and it turns into big things. And Nintendo doesn't seem to care. Nintendo only cares about what they think works in games, but not what other people think. What's interesting is they can be so far ahead of the curve in ways, but then take a couple steps back, and it seems they haven't made progress at all.

I seriously hope Nintendo knows what they're doing with regards to E3, the NX, the remainder of 2016, and of course Zelda. All I can really tell Nintendo is simply this: Good luck.

Odo

Are you Disappointed in Nintendo? If so, why?

It's a simple question but one I have been asking myself and others with increasing frequency for the past few years. With recent choices in particular I have been asking myself this question with even greater frequency, so I think it is a bout time we set aside any petty loyalty we may or may not have about the company and take a retrospective look at Nintendo over the past 10 years. What has Nintendo done (or failed to do) that has disappointed you?
Well well well.

You're all know how disappointed in Nintendo I am: I'm abandoning them.

Why?

Wii U Lack of games - Droughts and lack of many genres like Racing, RPG, frachises like FE, Metroid, etc. Almost zero third party support.

Wii U end of life - The announcement of Zelda 2017 and Zelda for NX just have killed the console today. So now Wii U isn't worth it any more. For me all the investment that a made on Wii U was just a bad decision. Next year, people will get NX with Zelda and they'll get all the Wii U games (remasters or not) paying almost half the price I paid and they will accumulate points on My Nintendo for that. For those who have been happy with Wii U, that's ok, but it's not for me.

Games for 2016-2017 - Star Fox U is a shame for me. Metroid Federation Force is a generic game that looks like a DS indie shooter. Tokyo Mirage will be all right, but it's still behind every other RPG I see out there. No Metroid U. No FE U. Zelda Tri Force is also poor. I don't like almost anything they've announced last year. This new Zelda delay is ridiculous and I don't thing it's going to be a revolutionary game at all.

Poor HD development - For me it's crystal clear that Nintendo is struggling with HD development. They're just 10 years behind.

Lack of industry standards - That's just beyond me. The Wii U looks like the Nokia of the industry.

Not enough great first party games - I do believe that Nintendo is still making brilliant games. They're just too few. Splatoon, Zelda ALBW, FE Awakening, XCX. They're among the best Nintendo games of this generation, but it's not enough for me.

Abandoning what made them great - I think the only franchise that are keeping it up is Pokemon. This franchise is so great that sometimes it doesn't look like it's still a Nintendo thing. Other franchises are in decadence. Wii U Mario is just fun, but it's nothing like Galaxy. FE Fates is a shame in my opinion, Nintendo is turning FE into a waifu RPG. It's unbelievable what they're doing just to make money with this franchise (just my opinion). Metroid is now a generic cheap shooter. New Star Fox is a Wii game with enhanced graphics. New Super Mario Bros is just the same of the same. That Mario Tennis game doesn't even deserve a mention.

Amiibo Amiibo Amiibo - Amiibo Amiibo Amiibo

Those are the main reasons.

Last edited:

Odo

I use New Super Mario Bros as an example because it best fits the situation; ever since the games release gone are the days of hub worlds, or changing levels, gone is the evolution of game-play, replaced instead with dull map screens, continuous streams of floating platforms, and gimmicky power-ups. This is not just limited to Super Mario platforming series mind you, as all of the later Mario games have effectively adopted the same mentality.
For me the greatest Mario Bros was Super Mario World.

New Super Mario Bros games look like a step back.

There are only so many times I can say to myself "Maybe Next year they will have games that I want..." when Nintendo fails to show off anything of interest at E3.
I'm on Maybe next year for the last 4 years.

I was defending Wii U back in the days based on that: "Next year Wii U will have a brilliant library and people will buy it". LOL

The third major gripe I have is simply the companies unwillingness to adopt industry standards like voice chat and unified accounts. Nintendo is seemingly oblivious to what their competitors offer, to the point of ignoring them outright. While in many ways I applaud Nintendo for sticking to their guns, there are simply times when enough is enough.
Some industry standards are just basic. It's like releasing a mobile with a keyboard after iPhone. That's Nintendo.

1. Their localization policy... though it is improving, it is still infuriating... and the fervent demand for mother 3 being completely unanswered, for example, is the kind of thing I can't imagine any other company doing.
I feel like Nintendo doesn't listen to the community any more.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown

This. I've been a Nintendo gamer since 1987, and the time I have to play games has severely decreased in the last 10 years. Work, life, etc all take up more time. So, the time I do have to play, I play Nintendo games - Wii U and 3DS, and I've not just been content, I've been happy. There have been many great games for both systems this gen. And with my schedule, that is why I have a backlog while others say that have nothing to play. (Could be personal taste in games as well.)

So, no, I'm not disappointed in them as a company. For the time I have for gaming, Nintendo checks all the boxes.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'm a little numb to Nintendo right now. I guess becoming this detached from them is a sign of disappointment, but either way my feelings aren't very strong one way or the other. I think they still make great games, and I hate how they lack features that I've come to expect as standard. I'm looking forward to whatever we'll see from the main Mario team, from Retro, from MonolithSoft (in 2-3 years), from the Splatoon team, and I'm hoping that Zelda NX is amazing. At the same time I won't be surprised if Retro's next game is a reboot of Wrecking Crew or the next 3D Mario can only be played in co-op and both people have to be in the same room with one foot on each side of the Wii Fit board or something stupid like that.
Yeah, I suppose "numb" isn't a bad word to use for me, either. I'm used to some of their WTF-ish decisions, and it's almost par for the course. I expect a certain amount of stupidity to go with the fantastic stuff. Splatoon is the best example. Of course it lacks voice chat, because Nintendo is stupid about online gaming. But of course it's the most clever shooter I've played in years because Nintendo makes those "why didn't anyone else do this before?"-sort of games.
This. I've been a Nintendo gamer since 1987, and the time I have to play games has severely decreased in the last 10 years. Work, life, etc all take up more time. So, the time I do have to play, I play Nintendo games - Wii U and 3DS, and I've not just been content, I've been happy. There have been many great games for both systems this gen. And with my schedule, that is why I have a backlog while others say that have nothing to play. (Could be personal taste in games as well.)

So, no, I'm not disappointed in them as a company. For the time I have for gaming, Nintendo checks all the boxes.
I'm the same way. Admittedly, I'm terrible at balancing time. But Nintendo is OK for me because I don't game like I used to, I swore off buying games and leaving them in shrink wrap, and I refuse to be the like 9 out of 10 people who don't even finish games (unless it's multiplayer-centric with no "end," of course).

And it's worth looking at some averages, for the sake of context. This is old data, but I'd wager it isn't terribly far off compared to now.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20988
http://www.businessinsider.com/2008/11/xbox-360-owners-buy-more-games-than-wii-ps3-fans

That's about 2 year's-worth of data, and the average number of games bought is 5 or 6. That's 2 or 3 games purchased a year. That's it. Most people do not buy 10 games every month.

...buuuuuuuut...the more games you have to choose from, the better. Right now, if you don't like the idea of buying Paper Mario or TMS#FE, Nintendo has nothing for you to look forward to. If you were meh on Star Fox and Pokken, there's pretty much been nothing on Wii U for you this year. Didn't want XCX? Not into platformers (Mario Maker/Kirby/Yoshi)? Then you haven't had a Nintendo game to buy since Splatoon (or Fatal Frame, if you even knew it was released).

And that's Nintendo's problem. It's not necessarily about delivering a huge number of games to a voracious audience; it's about providing enough variety.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
And for me, I did buy:
Mario Maker
Yoshi
XCX
Splatoon
TP:HD
Fatal Frame.
Currently considering: Star Fox and Paper Mario.
Steve2 wants: Pokken and TMS#FE.

Still haven't gotten around to Fatal Frame and Yoshi, so that is part of my backlog. (Not including any 3DS/Indie games I'm playing or need to play.)
As I said, Nintendo first party titles fill up a huge chunk of what I buy, at least 6 Wii U games in the last 365 days. (Again, not including 3DS games, indie games, etc.) For my gaming needs, I have no room to complain.

But I do see what @EvilTw1n is saying, if none of those are your cup of tea, you're not happy.

Last edited:

Odo

...buuuuuuuut...the more games you have to choose from, the better. Right now, if you don't like the idea of buying Paper Mario or TMS#FE, Nintendo has nothing for you to look forward to. If you were meh on Star Fox and Pokken, there's pretty much been nothing on Wii U for you this year. Didn't want XCX? Not into platformers (Mario Maker/Kirby/Yoshi)? Then you haven't had a Nintendo game to buy since Splatoon (or Fatal Frame, if you even knew it was released).

And that's Nintendo's problem. It's not necessarily about delivering a huge number of games to a voracious audience; it's about providing enough variety.
My case as an example:

XCX - Great!
Splatoon - Great!
Paper Mario - No!
Mario Maker - No!
Star Fox - Maybe if I can get it for half the price, or maybe not
Kirby - When I can get it for half the price or a bit more
Yoshi - Maybe if I can get it for half the price
Fatal Frame - Never
TMS#FE - Yes, but only if I can get it with some discount
Pokken - No, I don't play fighting games

81jono81

I think they're making some dumb business choices, but for my needs, I'm fine with what they're doing. I don't play handheld much, so I'm cool with a move to mobile. I have plenty of old games to play, and I love replaying stuff (plus I'm a broke high schooler), so I'm fine with a sparse release schedule. So long as they put out two or three top notch console games a year (with the ability to download their classics), I'm content - and aside from this year, they've done that.

Odo

In a nut shell, I don't trust Nintendo to meet my gaming wants and needs anymore. They have seemingly only one audience in mind, and I am not part of it.
With all those amiibos, amiibo games, too many platformers, federation force, ... Nintendo is finally giving people reasons to call them a company for children only.

Odo

Other problem I've got with them is the platform genre.

Nintendo creates the best platform games. That's sure, but for me, they're making too many of them. Since the last days of wii u, we had:

1. New Super Mario Bros DS
  2. New Super Mario Bros Wii
  3. New Super Mario Bros Wii U
  4. New Super Luigi Wii U
  5. DKC Returns
  6. DKC TF
  7. Yoshi 3DS
  8. Yoshi Wii U
  9. Kirby 3DS 1
  10. Kirby 3DS 2
  11. Kirby Wii U
  12. Mario 3D Land (it's not a true 3D Mario in my opinion, you know what I mean :)
  13. Mario 3D World (it's not a true 3D Mario in my opinion, you know what I mean :)
  14. Chibi Robot (why they bothered developing it?)

For all platform lovers, that's amazing.

And for the others? Because it's too many. Kyoto looks like a platformer fabric since NSMBDS and they're infecting even studios like Retro with this.

AutisAwsome

Other problem I've got with them is the platform genre.

Nintendo creates the best platform games. That's sure, but for me, they're making too many of them. Since the last days of wii u, we had:

1. New Super Mario Bros DS
  2. New Super Mario Bros Wii
  3. New Super Mario Bros Wii U
  4. New Super Luigi Wii U
  5. DKC Returns
  6. DKC TF
  7. Yoshi 3DS
  8. Yoshi Wii U
  9. Kirby 3DS 1
  10. Kirby 3DS 2
  11. Kirby Wii U
  12. Mario 3D Land (it's not a true 3D Mario in my opinion, you know what I mean :)
  13. Mario 3D World (it's not a true 3D Mario in my opinion, you know what I mean :)
  14. Chibi Robot (why they bothered developing it?)

For all platform lovers, that's amazing.

And for the others? Because it's too many. Kyoto looks like a platformer fabric since NSMBDS and they're infecting even studios like Retro with this.
I guess I am lucky I actuall like platformers but I do think it is a shame that things I used to love by them have also become platformers when they were something better before such as the paper Mario and Mario and luigi series. I WANT ANOTHER MARIO RPG NINTENDO!!

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I guess I am lucky I actuall like platformers but I do think it is a shame that things I used to love by them have also become platformers when they were something better before such as the paper Mario and Mario and luigi series. I WANT ANOTHER MARIO RPG NINTENDO!!
We already have another Mario RPG. It's called Paper Mario. :p

AutisAwsome

Except Nintendo does not consider it an RPG anymore, which is just as well and good considering they have stripped the series of every single RPG element along with everything else that was good about it.
exactly my point. they aren't bad games but a shadow of what they used to be and not at all rpgs anymore but puzzle platformers

Of course I am.

2016 PS4:
Ratchet and Clank
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 4
Overwatch
Doom
TMNT
No Man's Sky
Paragon
Star Ocean 5
Mirrors Edge
Deus Ex Machina Mankind Divided
Final Fantasy XV
Persona 5
The Last Guardian
Nier Automata
Dishonored 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush 2

2016 Wii U: Nothing... maybe FE TMS but the japanese response to the game has not been too well.

Nintendo just doesn't provide what a gamer needs while the PS4 has everything you could ever want from every genre.

I will always be a Nintendo fan but I have come to accept that they are a minor part of my gaming life

Odo

Of course I am.

2016 PS4:
Ratchet and Clank
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 4
Overwatch
Doom
TMNT
No Man's Sky
Paragon
Star Ocean 5
Mirrors Edge
Deus Ex Machina Mankind Divided
Final Fantasy XV
Persona 5
The Last Guardian
Nier Automata
Dishonored 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush 2

2016 Wii U: Nothing... maybe FE TMS but the japanese response to the game has not been too well.

Nintendo just doesn't provide what a gamer needs while the PS4 has everything you could ever want from every genre.

I will always be a Nintendo fan but I have come to accept that they are a minor part of my gaming life
In fact:

Persona 5 kills TMS: headshot.

Star Fox is a GC bad remaster.

Zelda's gone.

So Wii U has nothing ... at all.

Even PS4/X1 indies are far better than Wii U's.

thekiller7

The Seven and Only
I'm always disappointed in Nintendo. I mean I only buy maybe 2-4 WiiU games per year since launch. I had to buy a few shit tier games just to make my collection look good.

Where as on Sony and M$ consoles I can buy 3rd party games in addition to their exclusives.

Goodtwin

I'm always disappointed in Nintendo. I mean I only buy maybe 2-4 WiiU games per year since launch. I had to buy a few shit tier games just to make my collection look good.

Where as on Sony and M$ consoles I can buy 3rd party games in addition to their exclusives.
This is the first time where its hard to even argue that Nintendo hasnt dissapointed. The N64 had weaker third party support, but it wasnt non exisitent, and there was a lot of exclusives. I remember Acclaim being a huge player on the N64, Turok, NFL Quarterback Club, NHL Breakaway, All Star Baseball and so on. THQ had a big presence with with their WCW wrestling games. Nintendo had lots of brand new games such as Wave Race and 1080 that were great. Wii U will be the first Nintendo console where its pretty easy to name off all the best games on the console.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Yep even though wii had loads of terrible games there were still plenty of niche games on it to enjoy along with first party games. I've felt trapped to first party games on the wiiu since 2014 and mostly 2013. I surprisingly have a decent chunk of 3rd party games that all came from 2012 or early 2013 i slowly picked up. That died after holiday 2013. Litterally only 3rd party games i got after 2013 was sonic lost world and skylander games when they became heavily discounted. Not a single other 3rd party game cause there was practically nothing (not counting indies since i generally play those on steam)

Odo

This is the first time where its hard to even argue that Nintendo hasnt dissapointed. The N64 had weaker third party support, but it wasnt non exisitent, and there was a lot of exclusives. I remember Acclaim being a huge player on the N64, Turok, NFL Quarterback Club, NHL Breakaway, All Star Baseball and so on. THQ had a big presence with with their WCW wrestling games. Nintendo had lots of brand new games such as Wave Race and 1080 that were great. Wii U will be the first Nintendo console where its pretty easy to name off all the best games on the console.
N64 is spectacular compared to Wii U.

N64 had tons of great games. So many genres to play. Sports, Racing, Fighting, WWE, shooter, action, many 3D platformers, the best graphics of the generation, 2 wonderful Zelda games, the most revolutionary Mario game, etc

Odo

More reasons for disappointment:

Priority problems - In a console that has no Metroid and Zelda, why do they bother developing Pikmin? Who buys Pikmin? 10-15 people (me included, I confess). Why so many Pikmins and Warios in a world who lacks Metroid, F-Zero, etc.

VC games being released again over and over - Mario Bros for Wii, Mario Bros for Wii U, Mario Bros for 3DS. The same game, released 3 times and you've got to buy it 3 times. All the Wii U VC SNES titles are going to be re-released for 3DS in the last 750 months. Wow. The same for the NX, most likely. This is 2016.

Rubbish account system - Somebody has already listed it but .... yes, I know they might fix it on the next generation, but why do I have to buy games twice? Why my games are locked to the console? They shoulda fixed it this generation.

Plus, even My Nintendo looks that Nintendo still can't code a proper account system. Although the system is meant to understand my consumer's profile, my account's My Nintendo has rewards for games that I've already bought.... on eShop! Incredible! This is 2016 and Nintendo still can't figure this out.