Automotive Enthusiast

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I kinda want one.

Worth watching for anyone that wonders "what the hell are Shoulder and ET talking about with over- and under-steer during NFS?"

BobSilencieux

It looks like I forgot to mention the track day I went on. How remiss of me.

So it was mainly for the Lady Silencieux, and as such, she got to drive a 1970 Jaguar E-Type and a 1968 Mustang. The Mustang in particular looked like one hell of a car. It was a gloriously sunny day, so on the spur of the moment I picked up a drive in a Lotus Elise. No roof. It was hella fun. We also got driven by an instructor on a "hot lap" in an Evo VIII, which was actually scarily quick in places. Particularly, he braked very VERY late and VERY hard. That was also a lot of fun, although the Lady next to me was shrieking a little... Great day.

tekshow

I think I love all cars. From the reasonable to the hyper. I'd own a hanger if I was Jay Leno too.

One of my clients is the head of a main chain of Acura dealerships in our area. Last week he hooked me up and I got get inside the brand new NSX. It was pretty breathtaking.

In August, I just picked up a white 2013 VW GTI with the DSG transmission. Digging the crap out of it so far. Had it tuned to stage 1 and also did a transmission tune. Super fun canyon carver..ill try to post pics when I'm not absurdly lazy ;)

EvilTw1n

I think I love all cars. From the reasonable to the hyper. I'd own a hanger if I was Jay Leno too.

One of my clients is the head of a main chain of Acura dealerships in our area. Last week he hooked me up and I got get inside the brand new NSX. It was pretty breathtaking.

In August, I just picked up a white 2013 VW GTI with the DSG transmission. Digging the crap out of it so far. Had it tuned to stage 1 and also did a transmission tune. Super fun canyon carver..ill try to post pics when I'm not absurdly lazy ;)
Duuuuuude. I'd give a handy to a musty vagrant to get in an NSX.

Would love to hear more about the GTI, too. I drove a 2015 or 2016 (don't remember which) earlier this year, and it felt a bit coarse for me, like VW was trying to make it more of a sports car than a hot hatch, do-it-all car. But the ones slightly older than that? They've all been pretty damn nice. Never got to try out a DSG, though.

tekshow

@EvilTw1n Damn straight, that NSX is insane. Electric motors at the wheels manage torque steer and power off the line. It's like at 60 in 4 seconds, but what's crazier is the gas powered engine hits this power curve around the 3 second mark and feels like Thor is behind you shoving the back of the car. I didn't get to drive it but my friend toured me around a bit.

Here's the 2010-2015.5 GTI MKVI - This is exactly what mine is but a couple years older. It's pretty smooth, definitely the jack of all trades hit hatch. My wife thought it would be too sporty for her to ride in comfortably, but as a daily driver it can be a quiet ride. With the tune I got it goes from a factory output of 210hp to about 270's. It's still incredibly comfortable though, from the suspension to the turbo boost it feels factory. VW has been under tuning their engines for a while to support the after market, and this could be a reason.

And the gorgeous 2015.5 - Present GTI MKVII

The VW fans are absolutely in love with this car. It's the true sports car they've always wanted. So not sure if you road in this one. :)

They did something to tweak the engine, haven't done all the research to give it proper respect, but it's faster stock vs. stock, has less turbo lag, and zero torque steer when punching it.

The wild thing is while it ships with about 220hp, a simple stage 1 tune brings it to a staggering 300 ponies. They respond really well to it, to the point you're not even diminishing durability on the drivetrain. Plus, they're beautiful. I would've sprang for one, but I hate car payments, and I got mine for just under 14k. A MK7 is still pretty new it's running about $23k if you can find a used one, $30ish K if it's new.

As a zippy commuter I love the one I got, pretty happy with the purchase so far. I'll try to post some "real" pictures some time :)

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
@EvilTw1n Damn straight, that NSX is insane. Electric motors at the wheels manage torque steer and power off the line. It's like at 60 in 4 seconds, but what's crazier is the gas powered engine hits this power curve around the 3 second mark and feels like Thor is behind you shoving the back of the car. I didn't get to drive it but my friend toured me around a bit.

Here's the 2010-2015.5 GTI MKVI - This is exactly what mine is but a couple years older. It's pretty smooth, definitely the jack of all trades hit hatch. My wife thought it would be too sporty for her to ride in comfortably, but as a daily driver it can be a quiet ride. With the tune I got it goes from a factory output of 210hp to about 270's. It's still incredibly comfortable though, from the suspension to the turbo boost it feels factory. VW has been under tuning their engines for a while to support the after market, and this could be a reason.

And the gorgeous 2015.5 - Present GTI MKVII

The VW fans are absolutely in love with this car. It's the true sports car they've always wanted. So not sure if you road in this one. :)

They did something to tweak the engine, haven't done all the research to give it proper respect, but it's faster stock vs. stock, has less turbo lag, and zero torque steer when punching it.

The wild thing is while it ships with about 220hp, a simple stage 1 tune brings it to a staggering 300 ponies. They respond really well to it, to the point you're not even diminishing durability on the drivetrain. Plus, they're beautiful. I would've sprang for one, but I hate car payments, and I got mine for just under 14k. A MK7 is still pretty new it's running about $23k if you can find a used one, $30ish K if it's new.

As a zippy commuter I love the one I got, pretty happy with the purchase so far. I'll try to post some "real" pictures some time :)
Before I got the Mini, I was considering a GTI, and did test drive both a manual and DSG variant. The DSG was really quite something. Keep in mind, this was back in 2006, so this is MKV GTI I'm talking about here. I prefer the look of the MKVI and MKVII versions over the MKV to be honest.

If I had to get a GTI though, I'd rather get the Golf R, or the 08' R32.

tekshow

Before I got the Mini, I was considering a GTI, and did test drive both a manual and DSG variant. The DSG was really quite something. Keep in mind, this was back in 2006, so this is MKV GTI I'm talking about here. I prefer the look of the MKVI and MKVII versions over the MKV to be honest.

If I had to get a GTI though, I'd rather get the Golf R, or the 08' R32.
I thought about the R, and I looked at BMW 135i, but it just grabbed my heart. The thing feels so refined from the interior to the drive. I hit 110mph on some coastal curves without even trying. The torque with the front wheel drive is phenomenal.. Besides, with a little more modding it's as fast as the R and cheaper on gas and insurance. The R is pretty slick too.....

You know when you find that right vehicle that just fits you?

Shoulder

So over the last few weeks, I've been doing more research into another vehicle for myself, as well as something more suitable for work. Last year, I had talked about a Jeep Wrangler, but the more I think about it, the less I am convinced. Reasons? I can name four off-hand:

1) Price
2)Gas mileage
3)Steering
4)Lack of options and creature comforts

That's not to say they are bad cars, but given what you get for the money, what you end up paying for is the badge, or rather the namesake that you have a Wrangler. They are far too expensive (especially for used models) for what they provide, especially in terms of overall drivability, but they do have that fun factor.

Lately, I was in talks with my parents to purchase their 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD, but they are unlikely to sell it before this years end, so that plan is looking less and less likely.

A few different key aspects of what I'm looking for is AWD/4WD, more ground clearance, 20mpg around town or greater, and price in the mid to high teens, maybe low twenties. So of course, there are loads of different options, but only a few actually not only fit those, but the car itself looks good too.

Over the last few days, I've been considering the new Jeep Cherokee as I love the look of it, it fits my price range, gets decent mileage, has AWD, and enough ground clearance (even more so if you go with the trailhawk trim).

I've also looked into the Mazda CX-5, Toyota RAV4 (2012 or earlier), Ford Escape, and Mini Countryman S to name a few.

I am looking to perhaps rent a Cherokee next months, so I can spend a couple days driving it, and get a feel for it.

Lots of options out there though...

EvilTw1n

So in the long annals of "what the fucking hell?!"- things I've read about people driving cars, this one is up there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BK6eSsrDkr_/

OK. Alright. I will admit that in my younger days, I've hit an electronic limiter (or two, or...). So I get it. But it was always a "press the loud pedal hard, immediately decrease speed once X-mph point is hit"-sort of endeavor. Driving around for three minutes at 146 mph on a public road? In an effing Dodge Neon?

Shoulder

So in the long annals of "what the fucking hell?!"- things I've read about people driving cars, this one is up there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BK6eSsrDkr_/

OK. Alright. I will admit that in my younger days, I've hit an electronic limiter (or two, or...). So I get it. But it was always a "press the loud pedal hard, immediately decrease speed once X-mph point is hit"-sort of endeavor. Driving around for three minutes at 146 mph on a public road? In an effing Dodge Neon?
I get it that the SRT4 Neon is a performance car, but even if that is the case, I wouldn't be caught sitting in one, let alone driving it. But I am also a bit of an anti-Dodge type of person (I'm a bit partial to the Viper, Charger, and Challenger though), and it usually stems from the people who drive them, especially the Ram truck people. That car might be fast, but...it is still a Dodge Neon.

I once hit an indicated 130mph in the Mini once. This was years ago on a straight and empty road late at night in the middle of nowhere, and once I hit it, I let off the throttle. The car still felt planted, but there does come a time when top end speed, while fun, I find to get much more adrenaline pumping when in the twisties. I know the Mini appreciates the twists and turns better anyway. ;)

It is interesting though. I'm at this point where I know within the next month or two, I'll be having a new(er) daily driver that is more utilitarian than what I am used to driving. For now, I'll still own the Mini, but there might come a time where I'll be ready to move on. I still plan on doing some preventative maintenance this winter (clutch, supercharger, diff, seals, throttle body, suspension, bushings, and whatever else that is convenient when everyone else is removed), so I believe this'll be the deciding factor after all is said and done whether or not I will Love It or List It.

I won't lie though. I feel compelled to try out different cars, whether newer or older. Hell, I've always wanted to try out a classic Mini, or an air-cooled Porsche 911, to a VW Baja Bug even. The Mini right now is worth probably about double of what it'll cost to buy all the parts I need for the winter, so it gets to the point where do I continue putting money into it in the hopes that as a weekend/project car, I'll love it even more, or will I instead become heartbroken? I honestly don't know.

One thing's for sure though, that trip in the Appalachians last month was some of the most fun I've ever had in the ten years I've owned the Mini. Maybe there's more life in it than I think?

EvilTw1n

@Shoulder

[Also, on trying out new cars, I think it's worth it to switch things up every now and again. But I also grok the value of keeping the old vehicles around. I'm coming up to that decision with my old Chrysler. I've been letting my brother use it, but he's almost to the point where he won't need it anymore. It needs a new ECU. It needs a new exhaust/muffler - because it no longer has a muffler. The whole car isn't even worth $500. And yet...I love that car. Getting rid of it seems nearly unimaginable to me. But I'm probably going to have to do it. I can't afford the repairs. It costs more to keep insurance on it. I only need one car. But...it's an old friend.]

Shoulder

@Shoulder

[Also, on trying out new cars, I think it's worth it to switch things up every now and again. But I also grok the value of keeping the old vehicles around. I'm coming up to that decision with my old Chrysler. I've been letting my brother use it, but he's almost to the point where he won't need it anymore. It needs a new ECU. It needs a new exhaust/muffler - because it no longer has a muffler. It isn't even worth $500. And yet...I love that car. Getting rid of it seems nearly unimaginable to me. But I'm probably going to have to do it. I can't afford the repairs. It costs more to keep insurance on it. I only need one car. But...it's an old friend.]
I feel the same with the Mini. It's an old friend, and I'd hate to get rid of it, but there are times when I feel I should move on. I truly only need one car, but I want something newer, with AWD, more ground clearance, which is why the Jeep Cherokee is on the top of my list right now.

Btw, Donut, if you haven't checked it out, definitely see to it you watch the YT channel, Petrolicious. Probably one of the finest car-related channels, and it's simply about an owners' passion for cars, and his/her passion and attachment to one specific vehicle in their arsenal. I don't even know where to start as far as videos are concerned. They are simply awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PetroliciousCo

When I watch those videos, I relate to the Mini, and I feel if you watch Petrolicious, you'll feel the same with your Chrysler.

EDIT: And yeah, the three blokes on James Corden was hilarious. Watched it this morning while on the can. Made my daily ritual more entertaining.

EvilTw1n

"When in doubt, throttle out."

Y'know, sometimes you just gotta.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/what-they-mean-by-never-lift-1787421978
I feel the same with the Mini. It's an old friend, and I'd hate to get rid of it, but there are times when I feel I should move on. I truly only need one car, but I want something newer, with AWD, more ground clearance, which is why the Jeep Cherokee is on the top of my list right now.

Btw, Donut, if you haven't checked it out, definitely see to it you watch the YT channel, Petrolicious. Probably one of the finest car-related channels, and it's simply about an owners' passion for cars, and his/her passion and attachment to one specific vehicle in their arsenal. I don't even know where to start as far as videos are concerned. They are simply awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PetroliciousCo

When I watch those videos, I relate to the Mini, and I feel if you watch Petrolicious, you'll feel the same with your Chrysler.

EDIT: And yeah, the three blokes on James Corden was hilarious. Watched it this morning while on the can. Made my daily ritual more entertaining.
I have some friends that are considering the same sort of thing that you are. Especially after last winter, having a car with AWD and more ground clearance seems like a good idea. But...I just can't pull myself into that frame of mind. To me, you buy a car for your normal 98% days of the year; to buy a bigger car with worse gas mileage, with more storage space (that I'm not using, save for the two trips to IKEA where I might need it ), with traction options I'm not even thinking about, seems like a waste. But I get why other people feel the opposite way, because that's exactly how I was thinking when I bought the Cruiser. "I'll need the space for kids one day." But now? I need a vehicle for me that makes me smile when I get in it. The Mini fits that...and honestly, one day, I could see me plopping in a VTEC or something to make a sleeper car.

[I was following a BMW 2-series, a Dodge Challenger with all sorts of scoops on it, and a GTI to work two days ago. They were in the passing lane, barely doing the speed limit. I jumped past them on the right before any of them knew what the hell happened. The GTI driver wouldn't let it go and passed me back right before my work parking lot, but it does make me wonder if I really need any more horsepower. I'll run out of talent before the car runs out of ability.]

Shoulder

"When in doubt, throttle out."

Y'know, sometimes you just gotta.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/what-they-mean-by-never-lift-1787421978

I have some friends that are considering the same sort of thing that you are. Especially after last winter, having a car with AWD and more ground clearance seems like a good idea. But...I just can't pull myself into that frame of mind. To me, you buy a car for your normal 98% days of the year; to buy a bigger car with worse gas mileage, with more storage space (that I'm not using, save for the two trips to IKEA where I might need it ), with traction options I'm not even thinking about, seems like a waste. But I get why other people feel the opposite way, because that's exactly how I was thinking when I bought the Cruiser. "I'll need the space for kids one day." But now? I need a vehicle for me that makes me smile when I get in it. The Mini fits that...and honestly, one day, I could see me plopping in a VTEC or something to make a sleeper car.

[I was following a BMW 2-series, a Dodge Challenger with all sorts of scoops on it, and a GTI to work two days ago. They were in the passing lane, barely doing the speed limit. I jumped past them on the right before any of them knew what the hell happened. The GTI driver wouldn't let it go and passed me back right before my work parking lot, but it does make me wonder if I really need any more horsepower. I'll run out of talent before the car runs out of ability.]
One thing I'll further elaborate is it's more than simply for the harsh and cold winters we get. A good portion of it also stems from my line of work, and the need to carry crap on hand. I can barely carry enough for basic needs out in the field, let alone full on equipment for concrete or soils testing. I found out I can barely fit a 4 ft level in the back of my car, and sure as hell could not lay it lengthways in the boot to boot.

So some of this comes from the winters, others from my job, and others just simply I want a different daily driver. But unlike your normal bland everyday vehicles, the Cherokee (especially in trail hawk trim) is just unique and quirky enough that it fits my repertoire of vehicles. All I need to do is find a rental car agency where I can drive one for a couple days, and then I'll have an answer if this is the car for me.

Shoulder

Whelp, I made a breakthrough today, and I finally got a chance to drive the new Jeep Cherokee, in Trailhawk trim nonetheless. It was of course a short 20 or so min drive, but it gave me enough to say with confidence that this is almost assuredly the car for me. After all the reading up and research I've been doing, I feel this is going to be the new ShoulderCar. Handling wise, it felt really good, steering felt tight, the nice bucket seats with the seat bolsters really hugged you, and were very comfortable to boot. Loved the ride height, and where you sit. There are loads of little storage areas scattered across the car for everything from your pens and pencils, to your drug money inside the passenger seat.

Now, the one I drove was a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, specifically this one, but there some things that made me apprehensive. For one, no heated seats, and for Wisconsin winters, that is practically a must. Next, no trailer hitch, and given that this is supposed to be my new daily driver for the foreseeable future, a trailer hitch might come in real handy. There was also no sunroof, which that isn't that much of a deal breaker, but it is something I've thought about. The price I felt was too high given what it doesn't have (doesn't even have electronic adjusting seats), so unless they were to give me a really good deal on it, I'll likely be shopping elsewhere. I know of a guy who is an Auto broker that normally specializes in cars such as Porsche 911 GT3, Nissan GTR, Audi S8, BMW Isetta. Basically, he knows where to find the right car for the right customer, and his business is next door to my Dad's storage area, so there's that.

As far as color goes, I really do love the white, but I am also partial to the burgundy color as well. This week, my plan is to get pre-approved for a car loan at my Credit Union, and I'm working on getting insurance stuff sorted out as well (switching to a different company). If all goes well, I should be ready to have a new car by the end of the month.

Let me be clear though, I am NOT selling my Mini. I am way too attached to it, and after all I've been through with it, I can't see myself selling it just yet, if at all.

But yeah, a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk is very likely to be my next car, so stay tuned for that. :mgrin:

Shoulder

It's official: earlier today, I put a down payment on a red 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which I'll be finalizing everything on Friday.

I drove over two hours to this dealer so I could see and test drive it, but I knew within 10 minutes that this was the one for me. It's nearly fully loaded with all the options I wanted (tow group, cold weather package, leather-trimmed seats, panoramic sunroof, sat nav, power lift gate, etc, etc), and the price is very good (24.7k), not to mention that despite it having over 51k miles on the clock, it's been well taken care of, and the interior is in very good condition. I also made sure to get a good look underneath its skirt. ;)

I may not show it externally, but I am seriously excited in picking this up in a couple days. :mgrin:

Friday will also mark the day where I officially retire my beloved Mini as a daily driver. From that point on, it'll be my weekend/project car. Nearly 10 1/2 years it has been my DD, and Egan has been my pride and joy; always been there for me, and a good friend. My buddy even. But I am too attached to it, hence why I can't get rid of it. It'll still continue to see the roads under my wing, and many more years of happy motoring is to come. :mcool:

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
It's official: earlier today, I put a down payment on a red 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which I'll be finalizing everything on Friday.

I drove over two hours to this dealer so I could see and test drive it, but I knew within 10 minutes that this was the one for me. It's nearly fully loaded with all the options I wanted (tow group, cold weather package, leather-trimmed seats, panoramic sunroof, sat nav, power lift gate, etc, etc), and the price is very good (24.7k), not to mention that despite it having over 51k miles on the clock, it's been well taken care of, and the interior is in very good condition. I also made sure to get a good look underneath its skirt. ;)

I may not show it externally, but I am seriously excited in picking this up in a couple days. :mgrin:

Friday will also mark the day where I officially retire my beloved Mini as a daily driver. From that point on, it'll be my weekend/project car. Nearly 10 1/2 years it has been my DD, and Egan has been my pride and joy; always been there for me, and a good friend. My buddy even. But I am too attached to it, hence why I can't get rid of it. It'll still continue to see the roads under my wing, and many more years of happy motoring is to come. :mcool:
AWESOME SHOULDER CONGRATES!!!

We just bought a new work truck for Cody this past weekend.

Went with the Tundra again. This one is a 2014 with 30k miles and it's stacked to the gills with features. Got a great buy of 31k for it which we were extremely pleased with. With all the features the cheapest we found was 37k so to get 7k off was huge.

He's lovin it, and so are the guys.

Shoulder

AWESOME SHOULDER CONGRATES!!!

We just bought a new work truck for Cody this past weekend.

Went with the Tundra again. This one is a 2014 with 30k miles and it's stacked to the gills with features. Got a great buy of 31k for it which we were extremely pleased with. With all the features the cheapest we found was 37k so to get 7k off was huge.

He's lovin it, and so are the guys.
NOICE!!! Very awesome, Matt! What color if you don't me asking? And looking at pictures, that is very nice body style, and I'm not even a truck person. Some people I know at work don't understand that I am not a truck person.

Yeah, the Cherokee will also double not only as my DD, but as my work vehicle. Features wise is one of the big reasons why I had to go for it. I doubted I would've found a Cherokee in this color with these options for this sort of price. Yes, it is a 2014 and sometimes I am apprehensive about buying the first year of a new car, but besides the 9-speed transmission in it, which had its issues earlier on until some software updates via a recall, the car itself is very good.

And since I will now have a more capable car for off-road, I would love to take it to some trails and explore the areas. Like I said, I will not be selling my Mini as I'm way too attached to it, and I feel after I'm done this winter fiddling with it with new suspension, and other mechanical bits, I'll probably love it even more. If I don't have to service the supercharger, and change the clutch (which I suspect the clutch slave and master cylinders are starting to go), then I won't do that right now. Shifting through the gears is still very fluid, despite it having 160k miles on it, and with the original clutch. I must be doing something right driving a stick, because I normally hear of people replacing clutches in the 50-100k mile range, sometimes 120k or so. But 160k? I'll keep driving it on that clutch until it goes, or if I have to service the supercharger, whichever comes first, and I'll do both at the same time.

EvilTw1n

So a few weeks ago, I finally got around to driving a Toyota 86 (Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ). I expected the thing to fishtail when pushed at all, but it really doesn't. If you want to break the back wheels free, you've got to have your hooning shoes on. I was surprised at how composed it was. The thing really does move off center quickly; the turn-in is fantastic. Handles like a genuine sports car. And the throttle? Best I've ever driven. Effortless rev-matching. My Mini has a dead spot below about 1,500 RPM, but there are no dead spots in the 86. Press pedal, immediate reaction. I was shifting down just because I could.

Unfortunately, the car sucked at every other part of being a car. There is no back seat legroom at all (I'm not joking - I have more in my R56 Mini). The previous owner put in a Borla exhaust, so above 2,000 RPM, you have to TALK LIKE THIS TO HAVE A CONVERSATION IN THE CAR. The suspension was horrendous; every dip in the pavement felt like a pot hole. That might have been because the prior owner lowered it with tighter springs, though (didn't get a chance to examine). Interior was crap (stop it with the fake carbon fiber inserts), and the seats were a little too well bolstered to ever be comfortable. It's no wonder this car hasn't exactly set off the same sort of enthusiast wave that the old 86 did. The old one was a practical car that just happened to handle well and have a heater under the hood. The new one is a really unpractical car that handles well and has a motor that doesn't quite live up to the new sports car body style.

Yeah, I'm going there. The 86 feels slow. I blame the Borla for some of this, which is the old owner's fault - it makes so much noise that you feel like you should be flying, but you really aren't. It's pure theater and doesn't belong on this car. But otherwise? It's still not that quick. It will move, but with that sexy coupe body style, you expect something that's gonna move more than it does.

Which brings me back to the Golf GTI. I drove another one of those. I think it was a 2012.

And I almost bought it.

Holy crap, it was everything I ever wanted in a car. It passes the car test - it does things that you expect a car to do, like fit groceries and people in it. It's comfortable on the highway. The seats feel great. The hatchback is big enough to fit an IKEA run in it, or the unfortunate corpses of all the people you meet on Craigslist.

Then you put your foot down and it turns into Mr. Hyde. I was lucky that I had a car salesman who is one of us, because I did some light-your-license-on-fire duty on that test drive. It rev matches nearly as well as the 86, despite the turbo. And boy, is this thing fast. Not "fast for a hot hatch." Fast. Full stop. Fast, even in comparison to my friend's chipped 335i. Fast, even with a low redline. It picks up its chubby German chassis and pushes at any point on the rev band. Oh, and that rev band? Linear. And not a slow sort of linear. You press the loud pedal, and you're chewing through revs really, really, really quickly.

So I didn't buy it. I could've rolled my Mini in and taken on more debt as part of a down-payment trade, but I would have lost my license in short order with that GTI. My Mini also has a more welcoming interior (if not as much room), and the steering is just that little bit better.

But man, @tekshow, I get it. I fully get the GTI now.

tekshow

Yeah buddy! @EvilTw1n you can't really go wrong with those options.

A car guy, is a car guy. I don't know about you but I freaking love just about every car. If I don't want to own it I nearly always want to test drive it. There's so many cool cars that would be worth additions to the garage. I love my VW but I'm totally agnostic, I always appreciate a solid Subie, Ford or any other category. The BRZ is no joke, one of my friends has one.

Thanks for the shout out, I love the car. For me it was the perfect balance of grocery getter and Mr. Hyde. The smooth power delivery really makes my wife happy, best part is the fact it's been able to keep its natural character despite modding the thing. I'm at the top of stage 1+ with an intake, ECU tune, transmission tune, down pipe and turbo valve. I can put it in manual mode and carve up canyons like F Zero, but at he same time my wife can drive it all slow for great gas mileage and safety. Lol

Now I'm jealous, I want to drive a BRZ... guess I'll fire up Forza tonight, :)

EvilTw1n

Thanks for the shout out, I love the car. For me it was the perfect balance of grocery getter and Mr. Hyde. The smooth power delivery really makes my wife happy, best part is the fact it's been able to keep its natural character despite modding the thing. I'm at the top of stage 1+ with an intake, ECU tune, transmission tune, down pipe and turbo valve. I can put it in manual mode and carve up canyons like F Zero, but at he same time my wife can drive it all slow for great gas mileage and safety. Lol
Man, I'm jealous (not much tuning to be done on a non-S R56). I think a modest tune is awesome for most cars in this sort of range. Get a little more growl, a little more oomph, but keep the character of the car without butchering the ride quality.
Now I'm jealous, I want to drive a BRZ... guess I'll fire up Forza tonight, :)
I really want to drive a stock 86, just to see the difference in the suspension. I hope you get a chance to drive one and swap notes on it.

[I realize up there that I make the car sound slow in comparison to the old 86, but that's not what I meant, merely that the old one was a sleeper and the new one is flamboyant without quite having the power to match it.]

Shoulder

My God, I cannot wait to see what this thing can do, and what the three blokes will have to say about it. And I also hope when Bugatti take it out to Ehra-Lessien next year, that James May once again helms it, and proves he is not Captain Slow for a third time.

I think it would be doable for the Chrion to reach 450kph (279.6mph) or more, although I don't foresee it breaking 300mph, let alone the now holy grail of 500kph (310.7mph).

Shoulder

One of the things I have planned for the Jeep is to do exactly that for some long distance trips out west in the coming years. I certainly had no issue with my trip last year staying in hotels, but after awhile, it gets old, and you obviously don't want to spend too much money either. I was lucky enough to have points saved up, so that cut my hotel bill in half for the whole week, which was nice. Like you said though, if I could have done this with the Mini, I probably would've done so.

For the future, I'd like to do the camping bit in the car with the seats all folded down

Shoulder

@EvilTw1n I miss driving my Mini, and I only say that because my clutch has shown signs of slipping recently, so I'm afraid to drive it at all, and that makes it all the more shitty really. Don't get me wrong, I love driving the Jeep right now, and it's a great daily driver for me, and I hope to drive it for many years, but I still need that "fun" car that makes me mash through the gears, jerk the steering through the corners, and grin every second while doing it.

I won't lie that I am looking forward to replacing the clutch, and any seal or whatever in the process, and also getting the supercharger serviced/upgraded. I have decided that I will go with a 15% reduction pulley when I service it, so that'll be interesting. I reckon it'll take me a couple weekends to get everything taken care of. If I do all this correctly, I picture one weekend to take everything apart, and another to replace all the parts and put it all back together again.

Originally, this was going to be my winter project, but winter is almost done with, and I knowworkx will be picking up soon, so this'll instead be my spring project, and that'll be nice just in time for the summer, and hopefully some trips out to Road America in the process. :mcool:

EvilTw1n

@EvilTw1n I miss driving my Mini, and I only say that because my clutch has shown signs of slipping recently, so I'm afraid to drive it at all, and that makes it all the more shitty really. Don't get me wrong, I love driving the Jeep right now, and it's a great daily driver for me, and I hope to drive it for many years, but I still need that "fun" car that makes me mash through the gears, jerk the steering through the corners, and grin every second while doing it.

I won't lie that I am looking forward to replacing the clutch, and any seal or whatever in the process, and also getting the supercharger serviced/upgraded. I have decided that I will go with a 15% reduction pulley when I service it, so that'll be interesting. I reckon it'll take me a couple weekends to get everything taken care of. If I do all this correctly, I picture one weekend to take everything apart, and another to replace all the parts and put it all back together again.

Originally, this was going to be my winter project, but winter is almost done with, and I knowworkx will be picking up soon, so this'll instead be my spring project, and that'll be nice just in time for the summer, and hopefully some trips out to Road America in the process. :mcool:
I'm back to driving the Chrysler right now*, and it reminded me of how nice it is to have a less high-strung car sometimes. It's so damn relaxed. For all the talk we enthusiasts make about fun cars, there's something to be said about boring, reliable, practical transportation. My Cruiser always starts (even if the ECU is fried). It can fit a bunch of furniture in the back. It effortlessly chews through highway miles. It's comfortable. Driving it the past few days has reminded me of why I simply couldn't part with the car.

But.

Y'know. Numb steering with a longer ratio gets tedious. Seeing a gap in traffic and knowing you can't make it? Sucks. And even if the Mini isn't that much quicker off the line, it definitely is quicker once you're moving. You forget how much nimble handling matters. Your braking zones completely change. You never have to wait for an automatic transmission to kick down two gears. The whole thing is, yes, high-strung. But it's alive.

I can't wait to get my Mini back. And I can't wait for you to drive yours again. Because even if the Jeep is the king of winter driving...spring isn't that far off.

[*Finally got the Mini into the local garage that is the "hush, hush, keep it secret, but they're good mechanics and they don't charge you and arm and a leg"-sort of establishment. All of that coolant leaking? He says it's the...water pump? I would've thought thermostat or heater core, but guess not. $375 quoted. Which I can definitely live with.]

Shoulder

I just wanted to post this, so it could be saved for later. I think this is a rather brilliant aid to help some people understand what goes into a car model that had forced induction.

If only Porsche had done something to the timing belt, and made it into a chain, I'd probably consider a 944 even today.

But of course not all timing chains are created equal though. Tell that to the B7 Audi's with the 4.2 V8. Whoever designed that thing, and thought plastic chain guides were a good idea (to be fair, it was probably for noise reasons), I hope he/she is regretting it.

EvilTw1n

I just wanted to post this, so it could be saved for later. I think this is a rather brilliant aid to help some people understand what goes into a car model that had forced induction.
Last summer I talked to one of those guys at Auto Zone who assured me "dude, you can totally just bolt a turbo on your R56!"

Sure. And probably shorten the engine's lifespan, destroy the gas mileage, slightly alter the weight/balance of the car, mess up braking zones, chew the tires, and still need to get a custom ECU tune to get the best out of the thing. Sounds like a great idea. I could just blow $2 grand on a turbo that doesn't belong on my engine, then spend $2 grand more to get it remotely reliable. And by that point, I will have spent as much on the turbo as I did on the used car itself. Some people have it easy, because they buy a car like my buddy's 335i that can be absolutely transformed with an ECU tune. But those cars are the minority. You will do so much more for a car by making it lighter, instead.

Regular Cars talked about some of this recently, about how a generation of kids grew up thinking Gran Turismo was real life, and you could just bolt on parts and that's all there was to it. So you have a generation of cars - WRX, EVO, Civic SI, - that have been utterly freaking ruined. And now they're doing it to the 86/BRZ.

Also, my Mini is back in the shop. Cam shaft sensor, maybe? This is getting tiresome.

EvilTw1n

I was all ready to talk about the Mini, but this being that auto thread, I guess we have to talk about the Demon for a moment.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-is-officially-a-840-1794227910
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...mons-details-dodges-terrifying-car/100368350/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...wild-specs-ridiculous-yet-awesome/100403210/#

Lets get the specs out of the way.

840 horsepower, 770 lb/ft torque
"Eco" mode offers "only" 500 hp
They have to divert the air conditioner to the intercooler to drop engine temp by 45 degrees
First production car to ever run on 100-octane racing gas
2.92 feet = the distance the car will lift it's front wheels for a wheelie
1 second = 0-30 mph
2.3 seconds = 0-60 mph
5.1 seconds = 0-100 mph
9.65 seconds = 1/4 mile at 140 mph
It cannot run on an NHRA drag strip, because any car that runs 9.99 seconds and 135 mph must have a roll cage and a fucking parachute.

OK. This is truly extraordinary. It's a front-engined car that can pull a wheelie.

It's an amazing piece of engineering, proof that internal combustion still has tricks left up its sleeve in the rush to electric vehicles. I remember when sports cars ran the 1/4 mile in 14's, and how big a deal it was when something like the Z06 Corvette could run in the 12's. This damn thing runs in the 9's directly from the factory. That is so bonkers that it's actually kind of dangerous. Which is cool.

But this is a stupid, stupid, stupid car.

They designed it to run those times with only a driver's seat in it. The stock stereo has two speakers to save weight. Those optional skinny tires would be suicide on a public road, and you would likely destroy your brakes and tires in an afternoon on a back road that had any corners.

This is the 12" dick implant of cars.

I'm still kinda glad Dodge did it, though.

EvilTw1n

So, I had been letting the Mini limp along during the winter. But we had a couple of days earlier this year that were a little uncomfortably warm for the season, and with the car's tendency to overheat, I wasn't going to chance it any longer. I finally got ahold of the mechanic around here. Two people I know and trust told me about the guy; he works for the city/state government repairing official/state vehicles during the day, which means he primarily works on trucks, but there's apparently not much about any vehicle that is going to flummox him. At night and on the weekends, he works at his own shop...which makes him a little hard to find. And it also means there's a line, because he only has a few spare hours here and there. You don't send your car to this dude and expect it back in two days (luckily, I still have the Chrysler to fall back on).

But I got the Mini in to him. And it, of course, sat for a bit. Turns out my issue was an old one - it wasn't the thermostat (like I thought), but the water pump. And the first pump that came to him was for an S, so he had to send it back. This took a solid month. But, because this guy is an utter mensch, he looked over my car, saw that my alternator belt was about to fail, and replaced that at cost. And the water pump for the Just-a-Cooper that finally came in absolutely solved the car's problems; no leaking coolant, and the fan doesn't even kick on (I was running an air-cooled Mini for a few months there). He only charged $350 (I was getting quoted $600-$700 for thermostat replacements). I had played around with it for a week, and was about to take it hooning to stress test it.

Then the check engine light came on. Again.

Back to the garage. Now that the dude knows me, I can get in on pretty short notice, but there's still a line. The Mini is there for another month. But part of this was for troubleshooting; he couldn't easily find out what was wrong with the car. He'd take something out, clean it, inspect it, put it back in, ride around the block, check engine light still on. Mix and repeat. We both thought it was probably something minor, like an O2 sensor, but nope. A VOT Solenoid valve. I don't even know what that is (it's on the receipt, $160.00).

Thus fortified, no further check engine light shenanigans. I drove it for two weeks to make sure it was OK, then last weekend, it was time. First hoon of the year. This would be the stress test, to see if the car was finally going to hold up. And I beat the ever loving shit out of it. I have never driven the Mini that hard, or Honda-shifted it like I did that day. I didn't take it all the way to the electrically-limited top, but I drove it to speeds that were, shall we say, adequate for a stress test.

And it passed. No check engine light. No missing coolant. No drama.

I had forgotten how much fun this little car is. There's a part of me that wants to mess around with it, but there isn't much left in the motor to get out (I can't find it now, but at the time of the R56 launch, some auto journalist talked to the guy who designed the Prince engine, and he said that they flat-out pushed it as far as it would go - that's why there are no ECU tunes for this car; if you want a faster Cooper, you have to bolt on a turbo, and at that point, you might as well go buy an S). I might do a rear seat delete, or buy some lighter wheels, or put on coil-overs. That sort of thing can be fun for a slow car, like the work done on this little Mazda:

But for now?

I'm gonna go change the oil, rotate the tires, and have some more fun.

Shoulder

Good to hear the ole Mini is purring like a kitten once again. That does suck though you had to wait so long to get everything taken care of, but I'm glad it all worked out. Hopefully, it can provide you with at least a couple more years of happy motoring.

On a related note, I finally took Egan out for a short drive the other week after sitting for over two months. And there were definitely times when I really wanted to get onto the throttle a lot more, but due to the clutch slippage going on, I backed off. At this point, I don't know if it's the clutch itself that is going, or if there's oil on the clutch disc. This would likely occur if there was a rear main seal leak, and I do recall there being a wet spot where the transmission and engine connect. The car shifts fine ultimately, but I worry about something happening while I drive it.

Within the next couple months, I hope to get cracking, and get the clutch replaced as well as any seals/gaskets while I'm there. Also will get the supercharger serviced and fitted with a reduction pulley in the process. I'll have to send the SC to this guy in Atlanta, but he's one of the most reputable Mini mechanics in the business, so he can likely help me out. I'm still going to head over to NAM (mini forums), and ask around on what other parts I should consider replacing since I'll be having virtually the entire front of the car open for business.

There are a couple people who I'd trust to take the Mini to get a couple things done such as the Clutch slave and master cylinders, which require a few extra tools which I don't have. Everything else, I should be able to handle myself, but I'll be doing more research first.

EvilTw1n

I have a friend who is really into motorcycles. He's tried to get me into riding, and although I enjoyed my tutorial in a parking lot last summer, it felt a little too out there for me. I love watching MotoGP (better racing than F1 or Nascar, by a really large margin), but riding a bike isn't really my thing. Maybe I'd get a scooter or something for downtown riding, but I'm too damn old to want to go highway speeds and above on a bike.

And this is why.

Don't worry, he's alright.
https://drivetribe.com/p/WMUCWwTLRtuvsdcQSGsf-g?iid=UfMibSzKQC6m0bjhqjfcxg

"Alright" meaning:
-Presently can't walk
-Fractured 3 vertebrae
-Fractured right hip
-Broken humerus, radius, ulna in 5 different places
-Nerve damage to right hand
-Ligaments ripped in left hand, can't do day-to-day activities
-Sprained both ankles

This is what the Porsche he hit looked like afterward:

Now...I'd feel worse for this guy, but he has a reputation. Per my buddy who he keeps up with this stuff, Yammie Noob started riding, then quickly moved up to a Triumph Daytona 675 (115 whp, serious bike). Wipes out on loose gravel, says biking is dangerous and he's considering quitting, and then...he buys a less serious machine. But then he makes a vid about how it's OK to start on a 600 supersport bike. And then he buys another Triumph Daytona, and you can see the results above.

So yeah, the internet is not being kind.

Truly, I hope the guy heals up and gets back to a semblance of a normal life soon. But seriously, look in the vid: he's in the wrong lane. The Porsche was already braking and angling to the right - they make impact while the Porsche is on the opposite lane's shoulder area. Maybe there's a completely valid explanation for why he's over a double yellow (to hit that Porsche dead effing center); maybe there was some extenuating circumstance. Or maybe he just shouldn't be riding that much of a bike (500cc is plenty for an inexperienced rider). It's just sad, either way.

I've seen riders do stupid shit like this in person, lanesplitting on fucking I-95 at insane speeds.

It's why I'll stay in my car, thank you very much.
Good to hear the ole Mini is purring like a kitten once again. That does suck though you had to wait so long to get everything taken care of, but I'm glad it all worked out. Hopefully, it can provide you with at least a couple more years of happy motoring.

On a related note, I finally took Egan out for a short drive the other week after sitting for over two months. And there were definitely times when I really wanted to get onto the throttle a lot more, but due to the clutch slippage going on, I backed off. At this point, I don't know if it's the clutch itself that is going, or if there's oil on the clutch disc. This would likely occur if there was a rear main seal leak, and I do recall there being a wet spot where the transmission and engine connect. The car shifts fine ultimately, but I worry about something happening while I drive it.

Within the next couple months, I hope to get cracking, and get the clutch replaced as well as any seals/gaskets while I'm there. Also will get the supercharger serviced and fitted with a reduction pulley in the process. I'll have to send the SC to this guy in Atlanta, but he's one of the most reputable Mini mechanics in the business, so he can likely help me out. I'm still going to head over to NAM (mini forums), and ask around on what other parts I should consider replacing since I'll be having virtually the entire front of the car open for business.

There are a couple people who I'd trust to take the Mini to get a couple things done such as the Clutch slave and master cylinders, which require a few extra tools which I don't have. Everything else, I should be able to handle myself, but I'll be doing more research first.
You've got what, over 100K miles on that clutch? I hope you get it fixed soon. Spring and fall are usually the best for a good drive around these parts. Summer is just humid and miserable, and you're never gonna get the best out of your car with the AC on. You've probably got a few more weeks of the good stuff up there. Keep me posted; I'm interested to hear how the repairs went (because Hamster has 120K miles on it; I imagine its clutch might start the downward spiral in another 50K).

Last edited:

Shoulder

@EvilTw1n I have over 160k miles on the clutch actually. And I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is less the clutch itself, and more there's oil on the clutch, which causes the slippage to occur.

And yeah, the guy on the bike definitely seemed to be quite in the wrong lane, thus hitting the Porsche in the opposite lane. I, too, also hope he has a full recovery, but when you talk about how certain bikes are perfectly ok for beginners, and then stuff it, you're not really helping your case. It's still a seriously bad accident, and again, hope he recovers fully, and is allowed to ride again.

I'm going back to the Isle of Man TT races again in June (so stoked about that), and this is one of those races where you do NOT ever want to see accidents. Nascar, or Indy? It's usually not horrible accidents, but on public roads with spectators mere feet away from the racers? Yeah, no thanks.

Shoulder

What a fucking idiot:

Listen, I get it. You bought a brand new performance car, and you want to test out what it can do. I get that, but not like this. Not with the endangerment of other vehicles on the road, the multiple road violations, not including the excessive speeding, which is clearly shown in the video. And then of course there's the end. There's no fucking way the insurance company will pay him out, nor will the police give him any sympathy.

It does however beg the question why this guy thought it was a good idea to post this in the first place, given how incriminating it is. Unless he's trying to make a point that he fucked up, and wants to set things right by showing how much of a dumbass he is. Then, I'd give him some sympathy. But mostly, I think he did for the views, and figured most would be on his side about his little joyride, and how cool he is or some shit.

EvilTw1n

I don't get how people drive. I spent years driving an automatic transmission car. But I never floored it at every green light, got up to the speed limit (say 40 mph), and then literally froze at that speed. Maybe it's only people around here, but there is no such thing as linear acceleration for them. Every morning I go to an office where I have to make a left turn, so I have to be in the passing lane for one or two traffic lights. And every morning some asshole next to me in the right lane floors it once the light is green...up to the point of the speed limit. Then the people behind me get mad if I'm not revving out first gear passed 4,000 RPM, because heaven forbid there be a moment of pause as I shift to second.

This must be why the EPA changed how they calculate fuel standards - people driving like effing morons. Seriously, dudes, you'll get better gas mileage if you don't flog it from a dead stop constantly.
What a fucking idiot:

Listen, I get it. You bought a brand new performance car, and you want to test out what it can do. I get that, but not like this. Not with the endangerment of other vehicles on the road, the multiple road violations, not including the excessive speeding, which is clearly shown in the video. And then of course there's the end. There's no fucking way the insurance company will pay him out, nor will the police give him any sympathy.

It does however beg the question why this guy thought it was a good idea to post this in the first place, given how incriminating it is. Unless he's trying to make a point that he fucked up, and wants to set things right by showing how much of a dumbass he is. Then, I'd give him some sympathy. But mostly, I think he did for the views, and figured most would be on his side about his little joyride, and how cool he is or some shit.
Alas, vid is set to private now. But I get the gist...it's like how every Mustang owner at cars and coffee can't help but push that throttle a bit to show off, have some fun, and then...

I'm guilty of getting a little carried away in the Mini sometimes, I admit. But I'm always alone on a back road.

...this is also why I'm convinced I'd be an idiot to get a really powerful car. If you have 400 horsepower (which is now, somehow, not that big a deal) under you foot, one wrong stab of the throttle can really ruin your day. It's honestly making me think we need to rethink our licensing. There's nothing stopping some kid with money who gets a car or bike license from buying a Hellcat or a Hayabusa. And if you've been driving a Hyundai or something for years, you're way out of practice, too. Odds are, most people who buy a sporty car now haven't even thought of how to deal with over/understeer, let alone have actually experienced it.

Shoulder

I don't get how people drive. I spent years driving an automatic transmission car. But I never floored it at every green light, got up to the speed limit (say 40 mph), and then literally froze at that speed. Maybe it's only people around here, but there is no such thing as linear acceleration for them. Every morning I go to an office where I have to make a left turn, so I have to be in the passing lane for one or two traffic lights. And every morning some asshole next to me in the right lane floors it once the light is green...up to the point of the speed limit. Then the people behind me get mad if I'm not revving out first gear passed 4,000 RPM, because heaven forbid there be a moment of pause as I shift to second.

This must be why the EPA changed how they calculate fuel standards - people driving like effing morons. Seriously, dudes, you'll get better gas mileage if you don't flog it from a dead stop constantly.

Alas, vid is set to private now. But I get the gist...it's like how every Mustang owner at cars and coffee can't help but push that throttle a bit to show off, have some fun, and then...

I'm guilty of getting a little carried away in the Mini sometimes, I admit. But I'm always alone on a back road.

...this is also why I'm convinced I'd be an idiot to get a really powerful car. If you have 400 horsepower (which is now, somehow, not that big a deal) under you foot, one wrong stab of the throttle can really ruin your day. It's honestly making me think we need to rethink our licensing. There's nothing stopping some kid with money who gets a car or bike license from buying a Hellcat or a Hayabusa. And if you've been driving a Hyundai or something for years, you're way out of practice, too. Odds are, most people who buy a sporty car now haven't even thought of how to deal with over/understeer, let alone have actually experienced it.
I truly want a tiered system of licensing when it comes to driving where some cars that are vastly more powerful to drive require a different set of qualifications. I mean, getting a license in this country is a fucking joke as it stands right now anyway, but the fact that someone who has barely passed their test could technically (given enough money) buy pretty much any car they wanted, and drive it like that Mustang above is terrifying.

The majority of drivers can't handle that sort of power properly. They only think they can, and they justify it by driving it normally, or sometimes getting on the throttle. No. The only way you can handle that car is if you drive it on the track. If you can do that, and competently, then I'd say you can drive it. But if I see you drive the car like a mess around a track, and spinning out all the time, and know little about car control, then you don't deserve a car like that.

Shoulder

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/07/goodyears-ai-tire-concept-can-read-the-road-and-adapt-on-the-fly/

Wow. This sounds absolutely incredible, and I find it very interesting of the idea of an AI metamorphosis tire that will adapt to conditions, and terrains. The idea of not having to worry of having different tires for different setups sounds like quite the future ahead.

I'd be curious to see how a normal car with these types of spherical rubber would handle under most conditions. You certainly could not drift anymore, which would be a shame for many unless you tell the tire to just keep turning forward.

Between the airless tires, and now the spherical concepts, I'm curious how this will bode for cars in the future. I genuinely feel we are approaching a new era of automobiles where the idea of the Petrolhead will become a dying breed. A sort of leftover bunch that slowly withers away while everyone else starts to just use cars purely as a mode of transportation. The moment I don't drive anymore is the day I die.

GaemzDood

It amazes me that it's [the current year] and Ghost Games still has yet to match the extensive customization in Midnight Club: LA, which let you put neon lights in interiors. The fact that it let you customize interiors at all was amazing. Hell, no Need for Speed has matched that since Most Wanted '05.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shoulder

This marketing works. I want one.

No, really.

I don't think I've ever seen a set of commercials that are actually connected. Usually when I see commercials marketing the same thing, it may have the same characters, but they are not really connected. This though appears to be a story-based advert, and it's simply awesome!

So, you think a good replacement for your Mini when the time comes? Speaking of which, how is the old girl? :mcool: