Automotive Enthusiast

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So I just finished watching the latest episode of Top Gear, and that McLaren P1 is probably going to go down in history in the same vain as the original F1. :O

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
I finally got the new clutch cable in my Golf - and that wraps up the most I'll ever spend on that car before junking it.

Tucker

I finally got the new clutch cable in my Golf - and that wraps up the most I'll ever spend on that car before junking it.
No hydraulic clutch? What year is your Golf?
97. Cable clutch - exactly as daddy likes it. I just had to replace the automatic adjuster cable with a manual one. I drove an '03 once with the hydraulics and I hated how numb it was.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So I just finished watching the latest episode of Top Gear, and that McLaren P1 is probably going to go down in history in the same vain as the original F1. :O
We're getting to the point of cartoon figures with hyper cars. It used to be around 1:30 on the Top Gear track was quick (that old Murcielago lap), then down to the 1:20s, and now it's nearly down to 1:10. That P1 is probably going to be neck and neck with the Huayra.

Shoulder

We're getting to the point of cartoon figures with hyper cars. It used to be around 1:30 on the Top Gear track was quick (that old Murcielago lap), then down to the 1:20s, and now it's nearly down to 1:10. That P1 is probably going to be neck and neck with the Huayra.

I was recently watching Season 5, and in Episode 8 they had a face-off between new and old on the track, specifically with race cars of the day to regular everyday cars of today. They also did a lap in a Renault F1 car, the one that won Ferando Alonso his championship. It completed a lap in under a minute, and afterwards, Jeremy said that in 20 years time (this was back in 2004), you'll be able to drive a street car that with that sort of performance. It's sort of astonishing when you think about it. So mark your calendars for 2024 when some hypercar can rival an early 2000s F1 car. @-)

Shoulder

No hydraulic clutch? What year is your Golf?
97. Cable clutch - exactly as daddy likes it. I just had to replace the automatic adjuster cable with a manual one. I drove an '03 once with the hydraulics and I hated how numb it was.

To each his own. I prefer the feel of a hydraulic clutch because in my experience a cable driven clutch felt as though you had two choices: on or off. But even some of the older cars I've driven recently such as a 81' Triumph TR8 and an 82' Mazda RX7 both had hydraulic clutches. So admittly, my experience with cable clutches stems as far as an 81' Porsche 911, and various air-cooled VWs.
I will say though that I think VW hydraulic clutches probably have more of that numb feel you're talking about (in my experience anyway), as I test drove a MKV GTI once with a 6-speed and I stalled it almost immediately. Same thing with a MKIV GTI with a 5-speed. When I first drove the MINI, it had more feel to it, but it was also a heavier clutch by a slight margain.
Interestingly enough, the TR8, the RX7, and my MINI all have very similar clutch feel. It's simply a matter of preference though.

Tucker

The best clutch I've ever driven, and this is not a word of a lie, was in an '88 Honda Accord 5-speed. It was utterly perfect.

Shoulder

The best clutch I've ever driven, and this is not a word of a lie, was in an '88 Honda Accord 5-speed. It was utterly perfect.

Interesting choice. And speaking of Japanese cars, that RX7 I drove also had a very good clutch too. Yes, I said that the TR8 and my MINI felt similar, but the RX7 definitely had its own unique take to it. I suppose the Wankel rotary engine also contributed to that also as driving it was utterly smooth and precise.

Tucker

Interesting. I haven't driven an RX-7, but I found the clutch in the RX-8 a bit dicky. I put that largely down to the Wankel having no low end torque.

Tucker

So I let a few PSI out of my front tires when we had a little bit of snow. Now I'm running 33/38 on the Golf and I have to say I like it - it's a little frisky in tight cornering :>

Shoulder

So I let a few PSI out of my front tires when we had a little bit of snow. Now I'm running 33/38 on the Golf and I have to say I like it - it's a little frisky in tight cornering :>

In my mind, that's too high for wintry conditions. On my summer tires, I'll do 35/35, but with my snow tires, it's 30/30. Although, I don't know where you live.

Tucker

These tyres have a cold max of 54 (stock size too), they look and feel squishy at 30. I like the extra firmness in the back because it helps reduce understeer.

EvilTw1n

I see on TG's web page that the last episode tested the VW Up. Honestly, those are the road reviews I'm most interested in, because they're going to spend a lot of time talking about the fun-factor of a car that we can all afford to actually buy.

Tucker

I see on TG's web page that the last episode tested the VW Up. Honestly, those are the road reviews I'm most interested in, because they're going to spend a lot of time talking about the fun-factor of a car that we can all afford to actually buy.
Like most small cars like that, they're fun for about 50 miles... then you're dreadfully bored.

Shoulder

Go and watch Sunday's episode. It's very good!

EvilTw1n

We all know it's happening sooner or later:
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/02/top-gear-could-face-axe-says-former-bbc.html

Top Gear has been a bonafide phenomenon (probably aided by Netflix over here in the states; I know I used to binge watch four hours a night when I first discovered them), but one day it's not gonna be around. And it'll be the end of a very cool time, because if you're into cars, it's the one show you know that all petrolsexuals watch (at least once in awhile). We're probably never going to have that again.

Shoulder

Top Gear has been a bonafide phenomenon (probably aided by Netflix over here in the states; I know I used to binge watch four hours a night when I first discovered them), but one day it's not gonna be around. And it'll be the end of a very cool time, because if you're into cars, it's the one show you know that all petrolsexuals watch (at least once in awhile). We're probably never going to have that again.

I haven't read the article, but Top Gear makes the BBC too much money right now, despite some of the controversy of some of the stuff the trio do, or talk about. It will eventually get canned, but probably not for another few years.

On an unrelated note, my Mom will be getting herself a new Jeep Cherokee once the spring rolls around and the temps rise, and I was looking through some of the packages and whatnot, and saw thTechnology group, which is a 2,500 dollar option...and you don't need ANY of it. Keep in mind, she will not get this package because she's smarter than that.

[*]Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go[*]Advanced Brake Assist[*]Automatic High Beam Headlamp ControlHeadlamps use a sophisticated microprocessor that automatically and quickly adjusts high-beam brightness and intensity, depending on surrounding nighttime light sources or traffic.[*]Blind Spot and Cross Path DetectionForward Collision Warning with Crash MitigationLaneSense Lane Departure WarningParallel and Perpendicular Park AssistRain Sensitive Windshield WipersRain sensitive windshield wipers automatically deploy when sensors on the windshield detect moisture. style="border: none; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">

I mean, seriously. It's basically replacing your brain for all this technology, hoping it'll save you from your stupidity. Now, I'm all for technology when it makes sense, but this shit just doesn't. Sooner or later, this stuff will be mandated by the Government, and then new drivers will get so used to these features, that the moment they get into a older car, like my MINI for example, and not only will they not know how to drive a manual, but won't know how to "drive" the car. They'll wonder why their headlights are not lighting the road by themselves, or why the wipers are not turning on, forgetting that you have to do that shit yourself. Like I said, I like technology, but I'm talking mroe in terms of engine tech or suspension and brakes, not some electronic nanny such as park assist or lane detection.

Tucker

That same article has been published several years in a row; it's click bait :))

On an unrelated note, my Mom will be getting herself a new Jeep Cherokee once the spring rolls around and the temps rise, and I was looking through some of the packages and whatnot, and saw thTechnology group, which is a 2,500 dollar option...and you don't need ANY of it. Keep in mind, she will not get this package because she's smarter than that.

[*]Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go[*]Advanced Brake Assist[*]Automatic High Beam Headlamp ControlHeadlamps use a sophisticated microprocessor that automatically and quickly adjusts high-beam brightness and intensity, depending on surrounding nighttime light sources or traffic.[*]Blind Spot and Cross Path DetectionForward Collision Warning with Crash MitigationLaneSense Lane Departure WarningParallel and Perpendicular Park AssistRain Sensitive Windshield WipersRain sensitive windshield wipers automatically deploy when sensors on the windshield detect moisture.
id="extended_desc_text_ADG_JHC" style="border: none; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">

I mean, seriously. It's basically replacing your brain for all this technology, hoping it'll save you from your stupidity. Now, I'm all for technology when it makes sense, but this shit just doesn't. Sooner or later, this stuff will be mandated by the Government, and then new drivers will get so used to these features, that the moment they get into a older car, like my MINI for example, and not only will they not know how to drive a manual, but won't know how to "drive" the car. They'll wonder why their headlights are not lighting the road by themselves, or why the wipers are not turning on, forgetting that you have to do that shit yourself. Like I said, I like technology, but I'm talking mroe in terms of engine tech or suspension and brakes, not some electronic nanny such as park assist or lane detection.

Full disclosure: I love the idea of radar-guided cruise control.
Now, for the rest of that stuff: it's only going to make offroading a lot more annoying, lol.

Oh, and don't talk to me about your BMW Mini being a visceral driving experience. You haven't driven Mk.3 Golf in the snow! Basic dif, no TCS... no ABS. Just you and your e-brake!

EvilTw1n

I know Top Gear isn't going off the air, but it's a reminder that it's going to, eventually, and we're most likely not gonna have that sort of cultural phenomenon again.

Shoulder

Now, for the rest of that stuff: it's only going to make offroading a lot more annoying, lol.

Oh, and don't talk to me about your BMW Mini being a visceral driving experience. You haven't driven Mk.3 Golf in the snow! Basic dif, no TCS... no ABS. Just you and your e-brake!

Touché. ;)
I've been thinking of upgrading to a LSD when I need to change the clutch eventually, so driving in the snow and cornering in the summer should be even better. B-)

Tucker

I know Top Gear isn't going off the air, but it's a reminder that it's going to, eventually, and we're most likely not gonna have that sort of cultural phenomena again.

Too true.

Touché. ;)
I've been thinking of upgrading to a LSD when I need to change the clutch eventually, so driving in the snow and cornering in the summer should be even better. B-)
I'd do some heavy reading first - word is LSD's can make FWD cars a might twitchy in the bends.

Shoulder

I know Top Gear isn't going off the air, but it's a reminder that it's going to, eventually, and we're most likely not gonna have that sort of cultural phenomena again.

Too true.

Touché. ;)
I'd do some heavy reading first - word is LSD's can make FWD cars a might twitchy in the bends.

Interesting. I have to yet to hear from anyone with a MINI that using a LSD would adversely affect the handling in bends. Perhaps it's all down to the chassis, as well as the type of LSD used (clutch vs gears). I'll look more into it though.

Shoulder

This changes everything when it comes to the supercar...or rather a megacar. :O
http://jalopnik.com/the-koenigsegg-one-1-is-swedens-280-mph-carbon-fiber-h-1532088783

hogge

To me, the ultimate small car is probably the Lancia Delta Integrale.
Why can't any car maker create a small 4WD monster with both turbos and intercoolers? And of course, brutal flared wheel arches.

Mark my words: if Dacia were to build a RWD/4WD coupé, 90% of all european sub-30 car buyers would get one.

Shoulder

Why can't any car maker create a small 4WD monster with both turbos and intercoolers? And of course, brutal flared wheel arches.

Mark my words: if Dacia were to build a RWD/4WD coupé, 90% of all european sub-30 car buyers would get one.

It was also the most successful WRC rally car ever with six consecutive wins. A feat not match to this day.

Tucker

Downside is: it's a Lancia, which means there are virtually none left that aren't just a pile of rust.

EvilTw1n

Since I took the day off, I decided I'd take a quick trip to the Ford dealer this afternoon. Nothing really special. Once reasonably priced Focus, one reasonably priced Fiesta (in slimer green with an automatic, though), and one Fiesta ST licking its maw at me.

But then I come home, go to Top Gear's web site and see this...
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mazda-hazumi-concept-geneva-2014-3-5

Yes.

Build that, Mazda. Now. I've seen 2's go for $12K new, and this one looks ten times as sexy. I ain't paying for premium fuel in a Mini, so do this right, damnit.

Shoulder

Since I took the day off, I decided I'd take a quick trip to the Ford dealer this afternoon. Nothing really special. Once reasonably priced Focus, one reasonably priced Fiesta (in slimer green with an automatic, though), and one Fiesta ST licking its maw at me.

But then I come home, go to Top Gear's web site and see this...
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mazda-hazumi-concept-geneva-2014-3-5

Yes.

Build that, Mazda. Now. I've seen 2's go for $12K new, and this one looks ten times as sexy. I ain't paying for premium fuel in a Mini, so do this right, damnit.

Sounds like it's right up your alley there, Mike. The front end though I'm a little mixed about, but the back end I like. I personally love driving small cars and I feel more nimble and excited to drive them. Besides, if you get a car with little power, revving that puppy up all the time is almost a guarantee. B-)
I think that's why I agreed with James May when he said he would've preferred the less powerful Caterham. Sure, only 80hp, but that lightness will mean fun in the corners at any speed. :D

EvilTw1n

Yeah, I want something that has some practical value, but has some of the fun factor of a little Fiat or Mini.

I do see what you mean on the front fascia, though. Top Gear's photos have the best angles. When you see it from a few others:
http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_mazda_hazumi_concept_from_geneva_hints_at_next_mazda2.html/mazda-hazumi-concept-front-three-quarter/

...that front end can look a bit too big, too out of proportion.

[And May is dead-on, IMO. I remember that film he did with the little Fiat Panda.]

EvilTw1n

Alas petrosexuals, when even Lambo has given up on manuals...
http://www.motortrend.com/features/mt_hot_list/1403_2015_lamborghini_huracan_18_things_you_didnt_know/

Shoulder

Alas petrosexuals, when even Lambo has given up on manuals...
http://www.motortrend.com/features/mt_hot_list/1403_2015_lamborghini_huracan_18_things_you_didnt_know/

Pretty much all supercars are ditching manual transmissions, so this is not surprising, especially for a company like Lamborghini. Ferrari has been doing it for years, Koenigsegg is now doing it, and so is Pagani. These makers are more about the performance and manuals just do not compare in that regard compared to flappy paddle. Hell, Formula 1 has been doing flappy paddle for at least a decade (actually might be two)
Manuals will always have their place, but on the racetrack, or with high-end super cars, it's history. Doesn't change the fact that I like driving manuals, but I've grown used to flappy paddles also. I love the technology of flappy paddle, but I love the enjoyment of manuals.

Shoulder

http://jalopnik.com/new-jersey-could-ban-tesla-stores-1541263531
I seriously don't understand why this is even a issue. Why is it sooo important for dealerships to sell cars versus just having the company itself to the job? Sounds to me like an old and outdated way of thinking. Imagine what would happen if more companies decide to follow Tesla's model of selling cars?

Shoulder

http://jalopnik.com/nyt-feds-didnt-act-on-260-complaints-of-gm-cars-shutt-1539860446
I also have something to say about this lawsuit here, and it has to do with one particular accident that claimed the lives of two teenage girls under the same conditions. But here's the kicker: neither of the girls were wearing their seatbelts. So in that case, I have little sympathy that they died, because if they had actually wore their seatbelts, like the law specifically states, they probably would still be alive. The parents are trying to shift the blame on GM that they died, but the girls are the ones at fault here. In a court of law, an attorney defending GM could reasonably suspect that had the girls wore their seat belts, they wouldn't have died from the accident.
I know it's a terrible thing for people to die in a car accident because of a fault with the car, but the lack of safety on girls' part holds them responsible for their deaths, and not so much GM.
/controversial opinion

EvilTw1n

^
That's not terribly controversial, IMO. That's just a matter of common sense. You wear a helmet on a motor cycle, you wear a seat belt in a car. I don't feel right unless I have my seat belt on, tbh.

Pretty much all supercars are ditching manual transmissions, so this is not surprising, especially for a company like Lamborghini. Ferrari has been doing it for years, Koenigsegg is now doing it, and so is Pagani. These makers are more about the performance and manuals just do not compare in that regard compared to flappy paddle. Hell, Formula 1 has been doing flappy paddle for at least a decade (actually might be two)

Manuals will always have their place, but on the racetrack, or with high-end super cars, it's history. Doesn't change the fact that I like driving manuals, but I've grown used to flappy paddles also. I love the technology of flappy paddle, but I love the enjoyment of manuals.
Alas, I know you can't block progress. But it just seems like those sorts of companies aren't about logic (no one logically needs a hypercar), and if you're buying a car because you love driving (and no one buys a Lambo for any other reason), you'd want a manual. I suppose it's just obsolete, though.

[Sidenote - I do think it's very convenient that the "heart and soul" crowd hasn't made much of a fuss on this sort of thing. I remember when the GT-R was called "cold" and digital for having no manual and all the EST trickery, but now every super car has that.]

Shoulder

^
That's not terribly controversial, IMO. That's just a matter of common sense. You wear a helmet on a motor cycle, you wear a seat belt in a car. I don't feel right unless I have my seat belt on, tbh.

Alas, I know you can't block progress. But it just seems like those sorts of companies aren't about logic (no one logically needs a hypercar), and if you're buying a car because you love driving (and no one buys a Lambo for any other reason), you'd want a manual. I suppose it's just obsolete, though.

[Sidenote - I do think it's very convenient that the "heart and soul" crowd hasn't made much of a fuss on this sort of thing. I remember when the GT-R was called "cold" and digital for having no manual and all the EST trickery, but now every super car has that.]

I think the Nissan GTR has as much heart and soul as the Toyota 2000GT did when it first came out. It's simply an evolution of the supercar from then and now.

EvilTw1n

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/03/2016-nissan-gt-r-rumored-sport-800-hp-hybrid-powertrain.html

https://www.facebook.com/7Tune/photos/a.202838219753622.46146.185851534785624/653176158053157/?type=1&theater

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2014/03/2016-nissan-gt-r.jpg

Shoulder

So I brought this up on the chat, and found the vid of when TG talked about it and figured I'd just post this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgq6mqYexIQ

ZyroXZ2

Ohhhhhhhh, Top Gear is my top favorite show! I only watch the BBC one because the all the other car shows basically suck in comparison...
I'm definitely a car guy, but I can't say petrol head, mostly because I haven't had the time since my younger years to heavily modify my cars. I took the videos off my channel already, but I was working on a car commercial thing that I never got around to finishing. Aside from basic bolt-ons on my current car, I no longer have the time to spend in the garage like I used to, and after literally busting a knuckle wide bloody open doing rockers on my old car (sad, right?... I mean, rockers are so easy... and yet...), I work even slower to prevent injuries, lmao
But carry-on, I'll probably pop in and out of this thread from time to time!

EvilTw1n

Interesting TG article that gets into ESC, a topic we've touched on here, too.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/caterham-versus-swift-2014-3-20

EvilTw1n

So here's a bit of sacrilege for you.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1403_chevrolet_camaro_z28_porsche_911_turbo_s_nissan_gt_r_comparison/

Shoulder

So here's a bit of sacrilege for you.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1403_chevrolet_camaro_z28_porsche_911_turbo_s_nissan_gt_r_comparison/
There's nothing sacrilegious about it, the Z/28 is a track car for the road, whereas the GTR and the 911 Turbo S are streets cars with massive performance. I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro beat them because that's what the car was made for.

Chevy did well against the titans, and a applaud them for it. I will say that GTR doesn't sound like a fricking vacuum cleaner. I think they were just spoiled by the V8 of the Camaro.

EvilTw1n

I've just never thought of any Camaro, Z/28 or not, besting a 911 Turbo or Godzilla. Heck, hot mullet mobiles are supposed to play second fiddle to the Corvette...much in the same way the Cayman seems held back, lest it beat up a 911. Juicing up a Camaro (or Mustang, for that matter) in the past still hasn't put it up there with the royalty halo cars - vehicles that really split the line between sports and super cars. Chevy took off the gloves here. I can't wait to see what they can do with 'Vette next.

Also, this is borderline NSFW.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/david-brown-automotive-reveals-speedback-2013-03-28