Automotive Enthusiast

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So I decided to chance it and switch back to my summer wheels & tires. The weather is projected to be good overall with maybe a day or two here and there with possible snow, but with the temps rising, I felt it was time.

In the process of switching wheels, I always check around and under the car to see if there's anything unusual I should be aware of. I'm already planning on replacing the rotors and pads on the brakes, as well as the shocks. I've also been keeping tabs on this possible oil leak by the main engine seal by the crank pulley, so I might have MINI check that out and see if my hunch is right. But wait, there's more! In the process of checking my oil levels, I discovered my upper motor mount, which is oil filled (oem) has sprung a leak, so I'll have to get that replaced also.

So at this point, I see that I have to do:

Brakes
suspension
motor mounts
adjust positioning of my exhaust (currently sits high and touches the rear valance)
change engine and tranny oil

And just a couple of other small things. I'm mechanically inclined to the point where I'm not worried about having to do the work myself, and it's always a great learning experience. :)

I'll be putting my tax return to good use I suppose.

Shoulder

So an update: Since my upper motor mount is leaking, I've decided to bite the bullet and will be purchasing a non-OEM motor mount, made from Vibra Technics which is a bit more expensive, but does not have a fluid, so no leaking possible, and it will cause a little bit more vibrations than stock, but nothing too drastic overall. I will also replace the transmission mount with some polyurethane bushings from Powerflex, but keep my current OEM lower motor mount since that was replaced at the same time as when I did the upper motor mount the last time, 20K miles ago.

Will order those parts this week, and hopefully get an opportunity to replace them ASAP. A motor mount with no fluid will cause more harshness and vibrations as time goes on, so getting that replaced will be top priority before I tackle the brakes and shocks.

Shoulder

So I woke up this morning with an email from the people responsible for the upcoming documentary called, 32 Hours 7 Minutes, which details the cross-country races known as the Cannonball. The title time was the original record back in 1983, before it was beaten a few years ago by Alex Roy in his BMW M5 with a time of 31 hours 4 minutes.

http://vimeo.com/channels/32hours7minutes

I've personally always been fascinated by cross-country runs, especially considering this was also during a time when the national 55mph speed limit was still in place. I've been following the people responsible for this documentary for years now, and it's cool it's finally here. Can't wait to finally watch it. :)

Shoulder

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
The things I would give up in order to own one of those. Probably one of my all-time favorite classic cars. Between that and a classic MINI (yes, I have a bit of a sickness with MINIs :) ), I hope to at least own one of those. The MINI is more achievable, but the 2000 GT-R is just pure beauty. :D
The MINI is definitely more achievable, but the old GT-R is staggeringly pretty. I hate how every new car now has to have that upwards cut from the front to rear fenders to make them look "sporty." Can screw up your visibility and make the cabin feel claustrophobic. That GT-R is proportioned perfectly. It's a pin-up model.

[Someone around here has an old 1970's BMW (perhaps the 2002) in emerald green that looks fantastic in the same manner. The right proportions make all the difference.]

Shoulder

Just ordered some new tranny fluid, which will be here on Friday (Thank you Amazon Prime!). So that makes all the following I need to do:

Engine Oil
Tranny fluid + magnetic drain plug
Upper Motor Mount
Tranny mount
Fuel filter

The brakes and shock will come later, possibly next month, so we'll what happens with that. Tomorrow I'll also be getting a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to mix in with my engine oil as it seemed to work pretty well last time. I love doing maintenance on my car, even if it sometimes be a pain at times. :D

Shoulder

Man, I'm no mechanic. I wish I were handy enough to do some work on my car.
Even if you can do some basic maintenance such as Oil change, air filter, windshield wipers, rotating wheels and tires as well as keeping proper air pressure, spark plugs, etc, you can do more than the majority of people. Also, checking your dip stick for how much oil is in your crankcase is very important. Every car is a little bit different though.

Shoulder

Got the bushings on the tranny mount done as well as the upper motor mount. The motor mount I had to replace due to it leaking (it has a hydraulic fluid in it, which is prone to leaking), and figured after going through my second one, it was time for an upgrade. The motor mount I bought is an upgrade between OEM and a full polyurethane one, and the tranny mount bushings are polyurethane, so in total the engine will be more connected with the chassis. The byproduct of course is more vibrations, but I won't mind it really. Besides, the ladies might love the added vibrations in the cabin.

Shoulder

This morning, I put the wheel well and tire back on (had to take off due to the motor mount), and then drained and replaced the tranny fluid and put a magnetic drain plug in its place. All that's left is to fix my intake box because the tack welds that held it together didn't last (thank you WI winter). Get that all put back together, and then change the engine oil. I'll do the fuel filter at a later date after I've driven it enough to run down the gas tank.

Shoulder

MINI is all fixed and patched up. Took me awhile to get this hose clamp put on, but I managed. I'm still going to consider welding the airbox and the pipe (NOT the rubber piping mind you) since the JB Weld stuff didn't hold up as well as hoped. But right now, it's better than nothing. I noticed immediately after driving it those motor mounts are definitely more connected with the rest of the car, so feeling the vibrations through the steering wheel and seats is definite. The rear view mirror also vibrates at certain RPMs, but overall I like that connected feel of it. :cool:

Next month (as I said earlier) will hopefully be the brake rotors and pads as well as the shocks. :)

Shoulder

^
I'm having a flashback to Initial D and them working on the 86, and how BAMF-y it was when finished.
I've only watched Initial D a couple of times in the past unfortunately, but I know very well of the AE86. It just has this unique style about it that makes it age well for an 80's car. BUt the same goes for the Supra, and the RX-7 when it comes to that particular styling. They all look just so badass.

Back to my MINI for a second, I also have a couple cosmetic touches I plan on doing including getting rid of some of the chrome, including the headlight rings, side vents, the door handle, and perhaps the gas cap as well. I also would like to refit my exhaust as it does sit a bit high, so it touches my rear valance, and thus rattles the whole rear bumper and then you can get this annoying rattle at lower rpms. I should see if I can find a muffler shop in town that could tailor the exhaust to my car since I do love the sound of it. It's Stratmosphere if you're wondering, which is slightly louder than stock, but not overly loud.

Shoulder

http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-statistics-about-2-out-of-3-u-s-drivers.html

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! :eek:

The Shocking Statistics
  • 4383 accidents per day caused by texting and driving – National Safety Council
  • 904 injuries per day caused by texting and driving – Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study
  • 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY caused by texting and driving – Ins. Institute for Hwy Safety Fatality Facts
  • Accounts for 25% of ALL car accidents caused by texting and driving - National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin
  • Texting is 6 times more likely to cause an accident than a drunk driver - textinganddrivingsafety.com
  • 2 out of 3 drivers admit to texting and driving - National Analysis
  • Average time spent driving blind by drivers that text is 20% - National Analysis
  • People how text and drive are 23 times more likely to be in a crash – National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin
  • Law enforcement can obtain all mobile device records if you are involved in a crash resulting in injury or death, including text times, locations and speed.
If those stats are true, then God help us.

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
Yet they feel they have to ban people making calls because of the morons who text and drive, which really gets on my tits. I'm legally allowed to hold a coffee, drive standard, and talk with any number of passengers in my car, but god forbid I answer my phone while alone in the car driving an automatic not holding a coffee, because that makes me a hazard.

Shoulder

Yet they feel they have to ban people making calls because of the morons who text and drive, which really gets on my tits. I'm legally allowed to hold a coffee, drive standard, and talk with any number of passengers in my car, but god forbid I answer my phone while alone in the car driving an automatic not holding a coffee, because that makes me a hazard.
It's interesting you bring that up because in that thread, someone mentioned that in the UK, you're not even allowed to drink something while driving, so coffee, water, gatorade, booze, etc is a no-no there. I even recall they wanted it to be illegal to tune your radio, and my first thought was, "Why even put a radio in the car in the first place?"

I will occasionally bring a water or something with me in the car if I'm on a longer drive, and I'll of couse have my phone with me, but I tend to only use it if absolutely necessary, and even then I'll pull over if I have to answer it. I made a post in that thread under the name of Snaps, so you can check that out if you wish.

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mini-1000-only-2-0l-4wd-and-turbocharged.html

I have to say, these blokes are quite mad at what they're trying to do, but if anyone knows a thing or two about mad Brits, it's @Mr-Chris

Do check out their videos on Youtube which are all listed in the thread. I seriously cannot wait to see the finished product. Oh, and did I tell you, these blokes are mad? o_O
That's going to be a deadly rally car if they sort the chassis right.

EvilTw1n

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

I'm sorry, but I don't hear him saying the n-word. I just don't. He could've easily have said tiger, tigger, knicker, etc. I only heard about this about an hour ago, and my first thought when I saw this video was, "This is what people are getting their panties in a twist about?"
I definitely hear "igger" in there. You don't say "tigger" in that rhyme, nor do you say "knicker." There aren't any other words I know of that go in that rhyme that end with "igger." I've always given Clarkson the benefit of the doubt, because he's sort of like Howard Stern. Saying offensive things is...well, his thing. And the Brits have a history of making a sort of absurdist xenophobia part of their brand of humor. But he courts this sort controversy and traffics in it (again, it's his thing). It's time to lay back on that, in my view.

Shoulder

Straight from the horse's mouth I see. Ok, I was wrong, he did in fact say it. I have no issues about that. The only thing is why are people making a big deal out of something that never even made it to the show in the first place? But alas, Clarkson apologized for using it and I guess we can all move on with our lives.

Shoulder

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27266102

The moment Jeremy Clarkson were to get sacked from Top Gear is the day the show is no longer. All three have said in the past that if one of them goes, they all go (had Richard had not survived that crash, Top Gear would've been gone long ago) BBC cannot afford to fire Clarkson given how immensely popular TG is worldwide. Won't happen.

EvilTw1n

It was a mumble (because he knows how dreadful the actual word is), they seemed to realize they shouldn't use it very early on, put in a new clip, and that should have been the end of it. But between that the "slope" remark and this old clip seeing the light of day, I can see why the BBC would come down hard on him. Clarkson's made a living out of being outrageous, and sometimes that bites you (mainly because people pay extra special attention to you, and aren't going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you've said offensive things before).

Of course, it's all a bit hypocritical, because the BBC pays him to be outrageous. They've laid down a marker for where he shouldn't be, though, and I hope it works out.

On actual car news - LaFerrari vs. P1 vs. 918.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/laferrari-vs-mclaren-p1-vs-porsche-918-2014-05-02

Shoulder

It was a mumble (because he knows how dreadful the actual word is), they seemed to realize they shouldn't use it very early on, put in a new clip, and that should have been the end of it. But between that the "slope" remark and this old clip seeing the light of day, I can see why the BBC would come down hard on him. Clarkson's made a living out of being outrageous, and sometimes that bites you (mainly because people pay extra special attention to you, and aren't going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you've said offensive things before).

Of course, it's all a bit hypocritical, because the BBC pays him to be outrageous. They've laid down a marker for where he shouldn't be, though, and I hope it works out.

On actual car news - LaFerrari vs. P1 vs. 918.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/laferrari-vs-mclaren-p1-vs-porsche-918-2014-05-02
Yeah, it was really the BBC being a kiss ass for all the people who complained, so they appear to take a stand against Clarkson, but the higher-ups know very well that he's a very valuable asset to the BBC, and sacking him would be devastating to not only Top Gear, but to the BBC in general. The BBC won't give him the boot, but rather will let him leave when he wants to.

Anyway, those cars! :mdrool:

EvilTw1n

Randy Pobst at Motor Trend messed around and set some production car records (0-60 in 2.4 secs).
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1405_2015_porsche_918_spyder_first_test/lap_times.html

He set a lap record while critiquing the car and getting used to it. Once he settled in, he - of course - broke the record he had just set.

Everyone thought the Veyron was a once-in-a-lifetime speed machine, but here we are (and holy hell look at the Agera R One). But I must be getting old. The Testarossa and Diablo were the pin-up cars of my youth, and I look at these new cars now and a big part of me thinks "well, that car is one pothole on the PA Turnpike away from useless." TBH, the i8 (heck, even the i3) interests me more.

Shoulder

Randy Pobst at Motor Trend messed around and set some production car records (0-60 in 2.4 secs).
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1405_2015_porsche_918_spyder_first_test/lap_times.html

He set a lap record while critiquing the car and getting used to it. Once he settled in, he - of course - broke the record he had just set.

Everyone thought the Veyron was a once-in-a-lifetime speed machine, but here we are (and holy hell look at the Agera R One). But I must be getting old. The Testarossa and Diablo were the pin-up cars of my youth, and I look at these new cars now and a big part of me thinks "well, that car is one pothole on the PA Turnpike away from useless." TBH, the i8 (heck, even the i3) interests me more.
"Koenigsegg claims the Agera One:1 can accelerate from 0-249 mph in less than 10 seconds – something we can't wait to try out for ourselves."

:mshock: That would mean it can do what the Veyron can do when braking. Jesus H. tapdancing Christ, that's mighty insane.

And another Christ almighty, the Porsche 918 is seriously quick. I wonder if it actually will be faster than the McLaren P1, which if true, would mean Jeremy Clarkson would lose his bet against Hammond (Cannot remember what the bet was though).

I will agree with you to some extent, Mike, with regards to these older cars we grew up with. I was always in the Countach, Diablo boat, along with the Ferrari F40, McLaren F1, and Jaguar XJ220. The cars of today are so technologically advanced, they almost make the stuff from NASA feel like about as advanced as a Telegraph.

EvilTw1n

I will agree with you to some extent, Mike, with regards to these older cars we grew up with. I was always in the Countach, Diablo boat, along with the Ferrari F40, McLaren F1, and Jaguar XJ220. The cars of today are so technologically advanced, they almost make the stuff from NASA feel like about as advanced as a Telegraph.
Well, not only that, but I think you can't help but be a bit more pragmatic as you age. Even if the P1 or 918 are more civilized for everyday use, their potential is frightening on a normal road, and their limit can only be reached by the most talented drivers alive. They're pin-up models, as advanced as F1 cars of decades past. Sure, in its day, the Countach was that, too, but it seems like the envelope has been pushed pretty well to Spinal Tap*.

Clarkson kind of brought this up awhile back:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/Jeremy-on-too-much-power-2013-09-16

Yes, you can have too much power. At least in the real world.

[*"Going to 11" is the joke, but I remember reading an interview with Aerosmith's Brad Whitford a few years ago. He was asked about the amps he used live; the vintage Marshalls he had onstage were cranked the whole way up. The new ones are much more efficient, and much, much louder. They're on about 3, and you've gotta put a power brake in front of them to get any real power tube sag out of them. No drummer is that loud. You could use a small 50W combo amp and mic it through the PA, which most sane bands do now. Because a 120W head doesn't really make much sense if you can't turn it up.]

*Ignores conversation*

So this is pretty much my dream car or one I want when I'm older:

BMW 320D

I was walking home from college, saw this sexy BMW drive up past me, I turn around to get a glimpse of it's make and series and caught it. It's just so.....sexy. Nice colour too in this pic like a silvery greyish thing. I'm no petrolsexual, but I love this car right here and there may be a better BMW than this I haven't discovered yet but for now, this is the one!

Shoulder

I'm not the biggest fan of that styling for that generation of BMWs (codenamed E90 for the 3 series), but to each their own. Their diesels are quite good though, and BMWs in general are quite good machines. If I wanted that generation BMW, it would be the M3. But any current BMW, I would take the 1M in a heartbeat:

EvilTw1n

Ah, the 1M. I'm not a BMW fan at all*, but if I won the lotto and decided I had to have one (that wasn't vintage old 1500/2002), it'd be the 1M.

And speaking of the M-Series, holy cow.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/meet-the-most-powerful-bmw-m5-ever-built-2014-05-07

A 200 mph, four-door sedan.

[*For me, BMWs will never stop being a lawyer's car, the same way I always think of a Porsche being an orthodontist's car. On my own personal cool wall, they're stuck under uncool. I admire the capabilities and engineering, but I don't think I could own one.]

Shoulder

Ah, the 1M. I'm not a BMW fan at all*, but if I won the lotto and decided I had to have one (that wasn't vintage old 1500/2002), it'd be the 1M.

And speaking of the M-Series, holy cow.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/meet-the-most-powerful-bmw-m5-ever-built-2014-05-07

A 200 mph, four-door sedan.

[*For me, BMWs will never stop being a lawyer's car, the same way I always think of a Porsche being an orthodontist's car. On my own personal cool wall, they're stuck under uncool. I admire the capabilities and engineering, but I don't think I could own one.]
Definitely seems to be a trend with German car makers.

BMW: Driving by cocks.
Porsche: driven by people who've had their mid-life crisis.
Mercedes-Benz: Driven by people who want to feel more important than they really are.
VW: Driven by everyone, including hipsters
Audi: Driven by people who are none of the above

:p

Truth be told, I love Porsche, BMW is hit or miss depending on the car, and VW has some good cars (GTI, Golf R), Audi's I love, and Mercedes I'll only consider if it's AMG. German cars are engineered fantastically, but in some respects they are too understated and too gentlemanly at times. That being said, their performance a lot of the time makes them quite the sleeper cars.

I can buy an older Audi RS6 for - let's face it - not much money these days, and it'll be faster than most Police cars on the road today*

(*not encouraging running from the Police mind you)

EvilTw1n

^
Man, bike racing is nuts. I mean, so is F1 racing (which is having an odd season, with one obviously dominant car), but the guys who do that sort of racing are missing the self preservation gene.

[Also, found a semi-good deal on an older Focus, but...it's a manual that is kinda missing a dash gauge.]

Shoulder

^
Man, bike racing is nuts. I mean, so is F1 racing (which is having an odd season, with one obviously dominant car), but the guys who do that sort of racing are missing the self preservation gene.

[Also, found a semi-good deal on an older Focus, but...it's a manual that is kinda missing a dash gauge.]
You think THAT is nuts? You haven't seen nothing yet:

Words simply cannot describe what's it like to actually being there, and at times only mere feet from the racers. It's absolutely mindblowing at times, and the fact this the only race of its kind in the world today only solidifies it as probably the greatest motorsport event in the world. If you ever get the opportunity to travel to the Isle of Man and actually be there for the TT Races, DO IT! Drop whatever you are doing, take time off from your job, and get your ass to the TT.