Bayonetta 1 & 2

Koenig

The Architect
Random question: At the end of each level why are there blank emblem spots? Do I keep missing enemy encounters while I play or do I need to unlock them somehow?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Random question: At the end of each level why are there blank emblem spots? Do I keep missing enemy encounters while I play or do I need to unlock them somehow?
They're optional encounters. Some of them are the somethingheim arenas that you have to discover, others just require you to go to out-of-the-way parts of big maps to trigger them, or sometimes even to backtrack a bit to where you come from. Later in the game this is where you get the gold LPs from, so it's worth getting used to doing it early on.

Beat Bayonetta 1. Overall good, was frustrating at parts, but I feel like a boss when I beat enemies with ease when they gave me trouble the first time.

Everyone said when it came out that it was one of the craziest games ever, but I think Wonderful 101 surpasses it in the "holy shit" department

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
slowly working my way through bayonetta... had a ltitle detour with catlevania aria of sorrow... but I finished that... so back to bayo... about to start chapter 8... tomorrow that is

Goodtwin

I finished Bayonetta today. Great game, but very frustrating at times. Combat in this game is deep, really deep, like Tekken deep. I finished the game, but still feel like a scrub. I'm not sure if that's a weakness or strength. The combat system is not inherently instinctual, and could take dozens of hours to fully grasp how to effectively learn and apply combos. I really do think its a game that gets more fun to play with every successful play through. The learning curve is steep for sure. Looking forward to replaying this game, and getting to the point where the combat does feel instinctual.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
On one hand, I think Platinum does a poor job explaining the more nuanced aspects of the combat in their games. On the other hand, it's not easy to explain these things without resorting to a text heavy tutorial.

In Super Ghost n' Ghouls, there is a pillar very early in the game that is too tall to jump over regularly. This is an elegant way of teaching the player the double jump.

Teaching the finer points of a combat system like the example above is much more difficult. I have not seen a game that has done this.

Cubits

You can get through the game with a limited combat palette, but that depth gives you more options.

I don't think they did a poor job with explaining what you need to know, but kamiya LOVES to leave the hidden layers unexplained. I enjoy feeling like I understand a game only to see a video two years later and be shocked!

Also, the way the items let you change up the gameplay is great in both w101 and bayonetta (the parrying as found in revengeance!).

Cubits

Also, my brother went out to get a physical copy on Friday, and the game was sold out across the city.

This game was underestimated here (not that it would sell millions here or anything, but the shipment must have been tiiiny).

theMightyME

still on part 1...finished chapter 10, been going back to some older chapters to farm some halos and try and improve scores.. ignoring the truly annoying stages lol I am trying to get another accessory...

what weapon combinations do you like? currently I have guns on the feet and katana in hand.... it gives me a good combination of logn and medium range... which emans I don't have to get TOO close, that makes dodging easier

Goodtwin

I have been replaying some Bayo 1 since I didnt want to start Bayo 2 before I leave for Florida for vacation tomorrow. Its been a good experience, as I expected, its more fun to play this game when you have a better understanding of whats going on. Still some cheap moments though, a quick time moment when you cant remember which button saves you sucks. Perhaps some of you are awesome, and pick up on the combat right away, but I am slowly getting the hang of it, and perhaps on my 5th play through; I will actually be respectable at this game. Replay value out the ass. It reminds me of Viewtiful Joe, but punishes the player even more so. You can beat the game feeling like a scrub, not sure if thats a good or a bad thing. I never felt so demoralized in the process of completing a game, but then reinvigorated playing through it again. I still think Platinum is a bit shitty for penalizing players for using consumables. I can see not getting Platinum if they uses potions and what not, but docking them as if they died is bogus. You have to either buy or collect these things to acquire those objects, I think its crap to penalize players for using them. Like I said before though, its much more fun playing the second time around. Not saying your going to clean house, I sure havent, but I feel much more proficient playing though a a second time on Normal compared to the first. This game has loads of replay value for sure. Im a slow learner, but this game makes me want to get better. I love it!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
still on part 1...finished chapter 10, been going back to some older chapters to farm some halos and try and improve scores.. ignoring the truly annoying stages lol I am trying to get another accessory...

what weapon combinations do you like? currently I have guns on the feet and katana in hand.... it gives me a good combination of logn and medium range... which emans I don't have to get TOO close, that makes dodging easier
Katana on hands, claws on feet. Since I got them, I used those for the rest of the game.

In Bayo 2 I've been switching it up more now.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

katana and guns is my setup aswell.

I'm also still on 1 loving it but still making my way thru

theMightyME

1 is voerstaying its welcome a bit for me now lol... though I am almost through it (just finished chapter 15) so its ok.... I hear 2 is a vast improvement on 1.... did they fix the camera... because right now thjta is the thing that drives me nuts... it almost seems like it is trolling from kamiya

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
did they fix the camera... because right now thjta is the thing that drives me nuts... it almost seems like it is trolling from kamiya
Nope. Well, they allow you to place the camera a little farther from Bayonetta, which gives you a slightly better view of the action, but the camera still automatically readjusts toward the center 99% of the time, infuriatingly.

FriedShoes

MLG
The endgame in 1 is better than the endgame in 2, imo. Wonderful 101 blows them both the fuck out though in that regard.
Real great stuff, gonna go back to Bayo 1 and platinum everything before coming back to this, see ya in a week.

Anyone try out Tag Climax yet? I want to get on that with one of you dudes, farm out some easy Halos.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Screw the "Burning Grounds" in Bayo 1. Forgot how much I hated that stage when I played it thru on 360.

But glad I'm getting a night to sink my teeth into the game and try to get onto Bayo 2.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I confess I don't get the hand cramp thing with the GamePad. I've put in marathon sessions with Monster Hunter where I'm constantly dodging, and the only problem I ever really have is from some fatigue in my ring and pinkie fingers being against the flat back of the GamePad. But it's not a cramp.

(To be fair, maybe it really does matter for some games. MH can be much more leisurely than Bayo. And button and stick placement can really be make or break for some. Hell, I managed to play BioShock, BS Infinite, and Vanquish on a PS3 controller, and didn't totally hate the aiming in any of them, whereas I suck with the GamePad. Diff'rent strokes.)

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
Now that I finished Bayonetta 1 I started Bayonetta 2. So far the thing that has jumped out at me most is the fact that everything seems to have been sped-up.

theMightyME

bayo 2... holy shit... so much better, faster, smoother, prettier, everything just feels so polished and pristine

about to start chapter 3 but my gamepad battery was dying...

there are so many little things that are just nice.. menu navigation is much smoother and just makes more sense, the sounds the swords make is so crisp and it just makes it feel soooo good to use them... picking up enemy weapons no longer gets in your way, tying stamps to the crows you catch is brilliant... there is still a lot to play with... my only complaints

- the still image cut scenes still suck like they did in bayo 1, but worse now as the film strip aspect kind of worked
- my favorite combo seems to have been shortened... which was the one where you punched like 4 times, then held down the punch button, then punched again, and end with a kick.... my favorite aspect was that you could destroy a foe, and then turn around and to a weave stomp combo ender on a different foe... I guess I'll just have to find another way to fight...
- I dislike her new outfit and haircut... the hair is just less witchy, and the chest plate on her cloths just looks odd (though i like the white parts of her new outfit) I do love the hair down look when you engage umbram climax though... also bayo looks a little healthier now... her eyes were more shadowed before... which gave a sense that her empowered bravado was masking some doubts or insecurities... it really came through in cut scenes, but this bayo seems kind of more cartoonish... I like it.. but it is different.. it reminds of mortal kombat 1 and mortal kombat 2.. the second game ahd a much mroe cartoony look thatw as ahrd to get used to.. it was the better game... but it was lacking this authentic aspect to it... I feel the same here... and with mk once I got used to mk2 I could never go back to 1...
- oh and the joe pesci guy is way mroe annoying in this game... he has had like 1 minute of combiend screentime and has said fuggetaboutit like 20 times already

but damn... the combat is just silk now.. the camera doesn't get in my way like it did with bayo 1, exploration is much nicer and more fun, the outside challenges don't make me want to shoot myself, and the judging is more fair... it is easier to get bronze and silver, but just as hard to get platinum... also the money is handled better, you just get more which emans you don't have to grind as much for it

not scoring it.. and I have a lot mroe to play... but if I gave bayo 1 a 7.5 I would give bayo 2 a 9

and it is beautiful... just gorgeous

edit: exploring the city in chapter 1 and 2 makes me want some wii u rpgs badly... a last story sequel on wii u would be amazing... now the wait for x is even harder lol

Last edited:

Goodtwin

I have about two hours into Bayonetta 2, and I will be honest, the game doesnt give me the impression of a high budget game. The opening sequence in the city has some pretty shoddy character models and textures. I noticed some pretty low quality textures used a few places already. The scope of the game has risen quite a bit from the first, and the use of vibrant color is there, but I do get the feeling that this game was not developed on a blank check from Nintendo. Certain things look considerably better than the first game, but there are a lot of set pieces that look pretty dated by todays standards. The framerate is definitely moving a lot more in this game, its not bad, but the lack of a consistent 60fps gives the image a slight judder effect. Digital Foundrys video seems accurate to what I have played so far. Dont get the wrong idea, I think Platinum is excellent with their art direction, and does glorious work with post processing effects, but like I said, I get the idea that this game had a modest budget from some of the lower quality assets, and the repetitive use of lots of the assets in the game.

The gameplay feels a little different, but it didnt take long to adapt. The combo system seems to have been simplified a little bit, or at least it felt that way to me since I already use more variety with my combo's in this game, and Witch Time seems to be slightly more forgiving in the sequel as well. The grading scale is far more generous. Still hard to get Platinum's, but they arent docking you for using items like they did in the original, just docks you for deaths. Just like the first one, gameplay is ridiculous, its rare to feel quite so badass in a game. The games scream Viewtiful Joe to me, and thats a good thing. In Viewtiful Joe, you really did feel like a super hero when playing, and in Bayonetta 1 & 2, the feeling is pretty similar, your a badass Umbra Witch! Good shit, looking forward to reading @juegosmajicos second opinion article, I think its a really good idea to do those. Sometimes the honeymoon period with a hotly anticipated title can cloud the judgement, good or bad, so going back with more opinions is a neat idea that I think you guys should continue.

Goodtwin

I finished Bayonetta 2 today on 2nd climax difficulty, and there is no question that 2nd climax is not the equivilent to normal in the first Bayonetta, 2nd Climax is relatively easy by comparision. Still a challge to get good scores, but not a big deal to complete the levels. Overall, I honestly feel the first game is better. The 2nd game felt short by comparison, but that is probably because I died so many times in Bayonetta on normal difficulty, and didnt die once in Bayonatta 2 on 2nd climax. I wont go into detail so that I dont spoil anything, but the story really feels like the entire premise is to fill the plot holes from the first game. I also felt like Bayonetta had bigger boss fights, that were more fleshed out. So in the end I feel that Bayonetta 2 polishes some of the game mechanics, but overall feels like a smaller game to me.

I completed it in under 9 hours, and there werent as many jaw dropping boss battles as the first game. Even levels themselves felt shorter. I would probably give Bayonetta a 8.5 and Bayonetta 2 an 8. Both are really good, but there are some qualities, and lack of content issues that keep me from giving it a higher score. The combat system is insanely deep, but the content outside of that, not so much.

I agree that Bayonetta 2 was easier overall.

I do think Bayonetta 2 had more "crazy" boss battles, but at the same time, I can't remember many of them. Despite playing Bayo 1 first, I remember the 4 main angel bosses (can't remember what they're actually called). Bayo 2, to me, took the Call of Duty route, thinking the best way to top the original is just have more set pieces but ironically makes it "white noise" where a lot of it blends together.

I loved both though in their own way. Bayo 1 for challenging me and having a good structure, Bayo 2 for being much more over the top.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Being that I have played Bayo1 long before this release on Wii U, I can honestly say that if this is your first introduction to Bayo, you will be very impressed....

It's one of the best ports I've ever played....

I love the Peach outfit and how it changes Bayo's moves from a demon's legs and arms to Bowser's and then changes all the rings into Mario coins....

Things like this make playing through it again a wonderful experience....

Platinum and Nintendo did a great job making this port.... Wii U fans couldn't honestly have asked for more....

It's making replaying the first Bayo feel like a completely new experience.... Something I wasn't expecting....

Last edited:

Goodtwin

No question, I think replaying these games make the experience progressively better. The better you get with the combat system, the more rewarding the game is to play. I finished Bayo 1 feeling like a total scrub, Bayo 2 I was much better prepared thanks to the experience gained in the first game, and now will continue to replay levels and shoot for Platinum medals. Once I can get those completed, then I can ramp it up, and bump the difficulty.

This is where the game hits the crossroad, if you into mastering the combat, then the game has tons of replay value, but if your more into the adventure and story, then your opinion could easily be very "meh" when it comes to these games. Im big on the series right now, because I have really fallen in love with the combat system, and even though I still suck, I want to get better, and I know that it will be a lot of fun, and very rewarding during the process of getting better at these games.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

The thing is, bayonetta puts alot of effort into building a world you want to experience over and over again, between all the lore and how well the characters carry the narrative. Its the same with viewtiful joe.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Games with really good stories lend themselves to being experience over and over again.

Especially if the narrative is built into the game like the older Zelda games and various Non-linear rpgs rather than alternating between portion and cutscene like these newer games( cough metroid other M cough)

Same reason we read novels over again. to connect with the world the author built better.