Bayonetta 1 & 2

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Bump? Bump.

During an interview with Kamiya at E3, I asked whether he'd consider making a Bayonetta 3, once Scalebound is released.

"To answer your question straightly, yes," Kamiya said. "It's actually something I've been thinking a lot about. We've talked a lot about it internally at the company and I've written some outlines for what the game would be. And I feel really confident it would be cool if we got the chance to make it.

"Right now, we're looking at opportunities... If that opportunity ever came up to make Bayonetta 3, that would be really, really cool."

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/17/11960226/bayonetta-3-hideki-kamiya-e3-2016

Do it, Nintendo.

You know you want to.

Goodtwin

I suppose with the Switch release, it's time to ressurect this thread. I will be back in the coming days to post my thoughts on the Bayonetta 2 Switch port.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

GaemzDood

From what I'm seeing on Digital Foundry, the Wii U version of both Bayonetta titles runs with an unlocked framerate, whereas the Switch version runs at a perceptual 60 FPS. A perceptual 60 FPS is a game that targets and frequently hits 60 FPS but can dip under stress, but manages to look smooth throughout since the general average framerate is close to 60 FPS at almost all times, examples of this would be the Battlefield titles, DOOM, and Wolfenstein II on PS4 and Xbox One, as well as most of the Call of Duty titles on Xbox 360. An unlocked framerate, however, is defined as performance that can waver but never really reaches 60 FPS consistently: both Bayonetta games on Wii U seem to fit this category. In fact, from what I've seen, they actually run closer to 30 FPS in most action heavy scenes, other simple effects like depth of field bring the framerate down, and Witch Time utterly destroys it (go to 4:08).

Goodtwin

Ok, so I beat Bayo 2 last night on normal difficulty. There is absolutely no question Bayo 2 isn't easier than the original, I never used an item until the final boss fight, and had an overall rating with a Gold Trophy. I will be going after a Platinum overall before making another run on hard. I will be honest, I felt rusty as fuck. In the past couple years I have certainly lost much of the muscle memory I had developed with this game. Bayonetta can be a tough game, but I rarely find it to be cheap. Most of the time you know you make a mistake or missed a cue and got hit when it was perfectly avoidable. I will say the demons in Bayo 2 are harder to read than the angels. Angels have pretty easy to see/hear their cues for attack, making dodging must easier to pull off, but I also think that perhaps some enemies are better attacked from a distance. It is a melee game, so you are inclined to get in close, pull off combos, and ideally dodge at the correct time to activate witch time, but some enemies require very very fast reflexes to make this work. I think for some of these enemies, keeping a distance makes more sense. Long button presses maximizing the guns is key in these situations.

The framerate in docked mode is very very good, but in portable mode I found it to be a modest improvement over Wii U. Still great, surprising too because I didn't have high hopes for playing this game with much success portably, but it really does work pretty well. The framerate docked seemed to stick very close to the target, and this has a big impact on image quality. Everything looks sharper when you don't have the judder of dropped frames.

Bayonetta 1 and 2 are similar to fighting games. If you enjoy them, you will likely be compelled to replay them many times, continually improving your skills. It really is muscle memory with these games. When you start out, your going to get hit.....and I mean a lot, but over time dodging because second nature, and your arsenal of combos will grow. If I had one tip for newcomers, it is this, do not concern yourself with trying to learn a shit ton of combos at first. Learn 3-4, and keeps most of them short. The longer combos tend to be tougher to utilize, and really don't offer a huge benefit compared to using a 3-4 hit combo more often. The gameplay is all about dodging to enter witch time, and combos that end with wicked weaves. Build a small foundation, and then grow from there. Same with buying new techniques, do not go crazy buying a bunch of them all at once. Go with one, start implementing it, and once it feels natural to use, buy another. This game is really simple, but can also be very overwhelming if you believe that you have to memorize everything right away.

Lastly, these are short games. I beat Bayo 2 in 9 hours. Granted, I have played though it 3 times prior, but still, if your expecting a lot of hours on a single play through you would be disappointed. Your first run would likely net about 15 hours. Once again, like fighting games, these games are all about replaying them. With increased difficulty available once your skills start to come around. There aren't many games that make you feel as empowered as Bayonetta. When it clicks, it feels fantastic to play. As the player, you begin to feel as confident as the character Bayonetta herself. All in all, really good game, and if you haven't played it on Wii U, it is a must own Switch title. If you have it on Wii U its a tougher decision.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
When it clicks, it feels fantastic to play. As the player, you begin to feel as confident as the character Bayonetta herself. All in all, really good game, and if you haven't played it on Wii U, it is a must own Switch title. If you have it on Wii U its a tougher decision.
Now we know who Goodtwin cosplays as

Goodtwin

I had to fire up the old Wii U just to see what my ceiling looked like at its peak. By time i am done with these games on Switch, Bayonetta will likely have consumed well over 100 hours of my life. Media Create showed a soft start for this game in Japan, but i think some of that is because digital sales are better on Switch compared to Wii U. The game is still top 20 on Amazon. These games are just marvelous.

Attachments

GaemzDood

I had to fire up the old Wii U just to see what my ceiling looked like at its peak. By time i am done with these games on Switch, Bayonetta will likely have consumed well over 100 hours of my life. Media Create showed a soft start for this game in Japan, but i think some of that is because digital sales are better on Switch compared to Wii U. The game is still top 20 on Amazon. These games are just marvelous.
I really, really hope it does well. For one, if it does, third parties will be encouraged to produce more, erm, adult games, so to speak, for the Switch, since one published by Nintendo does well and the most appealing 1st party games usually determine the tide of releases on a platform. Plus, people who didn't own a Wii U really have no reason not to get it, the average age of Switch owners is considerably higher, and a lot people didn't own a Wii U.

If it doesn't, it's probably due to the fact that it's a basic as they come port that's still 720p and not locked at 60 FPS. Hopefully, Bayonetta 3, which methinks will be a generational leap over 1 and 2 (which was a leap over 1 in many ways) given past trends with other Nintendo games on Switch, is a smash hit.