Behold! The PS4's Controller...

Here it is:

http://www.destructoid.com/what-the-hell-is-this-the-new-playstation-controller--244985.phtml
8->
Now, this is certainly a prototype... it must be a prototype right? I mean they just put a tiny screen in the middle of a PS3 controller, they can't be serious right? =)) That's a pretty lazy attempt.
Also, why can't they change the analog sticks to the top? [-X

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
That controller looks pretty interesting.

Assuming this is real, the thing I like in general is that it looks like they did with Move aiming what Nintendo should have done with it's amazing IR aiming innovation. It's just too bad Move is not as good as good as IR.

Ex-Actarus

If it's really the controller that's a letdown.
This is a new Dual Shock really.
it's not a let down. every system doesn't have to be wii u.
Where did I said that ?
Sony is inviting us to the Future, but this controller is "SO" traditionnal.
I was expecting something groundbreaking, but if this is the controller... IT'S NOT and that's a letdown.
The Dual Shock is probably the best controller of all time, but it's REALLY time to change...

Cubits

If the controller is housing a speaker, then it also contains audio decoding hardware. That plug on the bottom may actually be a 3.5mm headset jack...

But i can't help but wonder why this controller is aping the wiimote so hard. By going to a flat panel light emitter instead of the "bulb" of the move, they're limiting the motion control capabilities significantly (it was one of the reasons they said the move was superior to the wiimote). The internal speaker, because there's only one, is probably going to pull the same trick as the wiimote (it worked really well in tennis!).

I'm guessing the top square buttons are actually going to be the select and start functions, unless they're dropped completely. Oh, and that d-pad looks a million times better! Not sure if it still dodges the patents in the same way, but i still have flashbacks to tekken related thumb wounds. Anything to stop those is a godsend!

It's nice that they're trying something different. The touch pad could be interesting, and the move integration can only help. They might be able to fit some hardware innovation in without scaring off the "traditional" gamers after all!

Of course, any additional tech they stick into the controller hurts the console specs or price. If this is the standard controller, then a PS eye will be included with the console too. It will be interesting to see how they strike a balance there, i know the retail market here isn't ready for another console to launch at 1000AUD (lawl).

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Interesting to say the least. I personally have a theory that this is the "Pro Controller" of the PS4, and that a controller with a touchscreen will also be available (probably won't happen, but who knows?).

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
If the controller is housing a speaker, then it also contains audio decoding hardware. That plug on the bottom may actually be a 3.5mm headset jack...
I've no doubt that is indeed what it is. A very sensible addition, as well.

I'm wondering how useful motion tracking will be on a standard-shaped controller. I have the same skepticism with the Wii U's motion tracking too, simply because I can't think of many applications of it other than for driving games.

The touch pad looks interesting although it doesn't have much space on the z axis. Still, swiping could be a neat way to navigate menus.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It looks in general slightly more ergonomic, the d-pad looking like a massive improvement, and the analog sticks having a nice shape. I am perfectly fine with their positioning, unlike with the WiiU Gamepad.
The touchpad looks so tiny, what am I supposed to do with it? I don't see much point in throwing in a capacitive touch screen if there is barely enough space to fit two fingers together. Like Jam said, swiping would be cool, but I don't think simple touchpad swiping and tapping is enough to warrant the addition, especially as it takes space on the controller.
The move light on the top could be cool, and I imagine Sony were going to continue supporting Move anyway, so it's probably not a huge cost. I imagine they'll offer bundles without a PSEye for people that already bought one for their PS3s (though at the same time, if all controllers have a Move light then they would want absolutely everybody to have a PSEye, forcing them to bundle it with every system). The built-in speaker and headphone jack are probably the best thing about this controller.
Overall, this controller is very confusing.

The touchpad looks so tiny, what am I supposed to do with it? I don't see much point in throwing in a capacitive touch screen if there is barely enough space to fit two fingers together. Like Jam said, swiping would be cool, but I don't think simple touchpad swiping and tapping is enough to warrant the addition, especially as it takes space on the controller.

Yeah, I assume that you will use your thumbs for that tiny screen, As Ex-Actarus said, it is a letdown...

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Is it even a screen? If it's sensitive enough, it looks like a better alternative for aiming than DA. However, DA enthusiast could still have their option.

I do want to see more information on the move sensor. It's definitely better than the ball. It's smaller, less obtrusive, and most importantly, the camera could calibrate the pitch/roll/yaw of the motion sensors which couldn't be done with a sphere. But if it's just move tech on a sixaxis, that is a major disappointment. Why put all that effort into a controller that people don't want to fucking move around?

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
If it's really the controller that's a letdown.
This is a new Dual Shock really.
it's not a let down. every system doesn't have to be wii u.
Where did I said that ?
Sony is inviting us to the Future, but this controller is "SO" traditionnal.
I was expecting something groundbreaking, but if this is the controller... IT'S NOT and that's a letdown.
The Dual Shock is probably the best controller of all time, but it's REALLY time to change...

i meant it didn't have to be wii u in that it didn't have to try to reinvent the wheel.

i really don't think that controllers should be the focus of game design. they should be a way for you to interact with the game in a way that requires zero thought. for example, when i'm playing counter-strike, the mouse and keyboard are the furthest thing from my mind. my head is in the game, and anything that takes away from that only breaks immersion. same with the dualshock. when i'm playing gran turismo 5, the actual button presses and what not don't even factor into conscious thought. it just happens. it's already prefect IMO. when i have to wrestle with sixaxis, it hurts the experience. when i have to try more than once to point link's sword straight up, it hurts the experience. when kinect won't recognize gestures, it hurts the experience.

i'm probably not articulating this as well as i could, but basically i'm saying that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. the dualshock is already a pretty flawless gamepad, so adding a bunch of doo-dads to it just for the sake of change isn't necessary IMO. i'm glad they didn't stray too far from a pad that serves it's purpose so well.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
i really don't think that controllers should be the focus of game design. they should be a way for you to interact with the game in a way that requires zero thought. for example, when i'm playing counter-strike, the mouse and keyboard are the furthest thing from my mind. my head is in the game, and anything that takes away from that only breaks immersion. same with the dualshock. when i'm playing gran turismo 5, the actual button presses and what not don't even factor into conscious thought. it just happens. it's already prefect IMO. when i have to wrestle with sixaxis, it hurts the experience. when i have to try more than once to point link's sword straight up, it hurts the experience. when kinect won't recognize gestures, it hurts the experience.

i'm probably not articulating this as well as i could, but basically i'm saying that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. the dualshock is already a pretty flawless gamepad, so adding a bunch of doo-dads to it just for the sake of change isn't necessary IMO. i'm glad they didn't stray too far from a pad that serves it's purpose so well.
I agree control input should be seemless and the controller should be an extension of your body, but this also depends on input itself and the individual.

There was a time when you had to think about control sticks and buttons. Even now that you are used to those inputs, I bet you would have to think about them when it came to more complex inputs like seen in fighting games (maybe not, I don't know if you play those types of games).

While there are certainly some botched motion controls for Wii and Kinect, I believe motion controls and other types of control inputs can achieve that level of seamless design.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Oh, and that d-pad looks a million times better! Not sure if it still dodges the patents in the same way, but i still have flashbacks to tekken related thumb wounds. Anything to stop those is a godsend!
I'd imagine the dpad patent would have expired by now.

I've always said it, and will continue to say it... The dualshock is one of the most disgusting looking things I have ever seen in my life!

I'm going to have to disagree with the notion that the controller should just be kept simple enough to play a game. Even my PC is more innovative than Sony without even trying.
I'm always looking for new fun ways to play and a change of controller is what makes that happen. A new control method obviously isn't required to enjoy a console, but that option should be there as it makes the console more entertaining for a lot more people.
A rehashed controller can also be hurtful sales wise for Sony being they aren't making an effort to distinguish themselves from other companies. When "SteamBox" and the 720 get announced with likely the same control method and specs, the deciding factor becomes very easy for individuals. A evenly spread out market between SteamBox, 720, and the PS4 is not what Sony needs right now (Even though I believe Nintendo and Valve with have this generation with the 720 and PS4 being the same indistinguishable generic consoles).