Best Modern Videogame Music

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Everyone always talks about how great retro videogame music is, but what about the newer stuff?

Let's keep it simple. Post great videogame music of the last three generations. Basically, if it's before the PS2/GC era (or before the GBA), it doesn't qualify. Try to not post an excessive amount of videos so our browsers don't get crippled, and remember to put on some headphones for better sound quality, because modern videogame music deserves it.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'll start with some Monster Hunter. I've only played Tri and more recent stuff, but these games have PHENOMENAL soundtracks. The main theme for MHTri is fantastic, and MH4U has really great monster themes.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
[I'm going to hyperlink to youtube. This page is already getting too slow with loading videos.]

Unf. That MH3U opening theme is so damn perfect. I might have to go play it tonight just from hearing that.

Wind Waker's main theme is damn-near perfect, too.

To go completely in the other direction, Bayonetta's main themes are a gas.
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2

NMH's main theme ain't bad, either, as earworms go.

It's morning at work, so I'll wait on deep dives into soundtracks.

...and I will not bogart the Metroid love, so I'll leave that for others.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I'll call this post Part 1 as I have A LOT of music to post.

Since I'll be including PC games in this list (actually quite a few), I'll only go as far back as 2000. I also will be including a lot of theme songs as well. So, let's begin:

No One Lives Forever
Theme
Ambush
BaDeDum 1

Deus Ex
Theme
NYC Streets
Enemy Within
Paris Streets
Intro Sequence

Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault
Theme
Sniper Town

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Theme
Vlad

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Theme

Halo: Combat Evolved
Theme

Halo 2
Peril

inFamous
The Courier
Stampton Bridge
Genesis
Silent Melody

Mirror's Edge
Theme
Edge & Flight
New Eden

Resident Evil 4
Infiltration
Evil Malaise
Regenerator
Garrador

Skies of Arcadia
Main Theme
Battle Theme 2
Kingdom of Ixa'taka
Armada Boss Theme
Bombardment 2
Final Boss
Dungeon Cave
(maybe I should just list the entire fricking soundtrack as it's just fricking AWESOME!)

Anyway, I did not include Nintendo games on purpose. I'll probably get to some in by Part 2. There's sooooooo much fantastic music over the last 15 or so years.

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
God that MH music gets my heart racing... Mostly because in that game every time you hear new music you're in for a hell of a fight with a creature you've never gone up against. So good.

I've always thought Pokemon music is always great at capturing a mood. It usually heightens the feelings of that part of the game without being obtrusive. Here's a few of my favourites (linked to avoid breaking the thread):

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (2006)
Route 201 Theme - A relaxing a nostalgic tune to kick off a new journey
Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf - A fast-paced exciting theme for fighting the powerful legends of human virtue

Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver (2009)
Dark Cave - A blindingly dark cavern with a mysterious theme that tells you that just about anything could be lurking here

Pokemon Black/White/Black2/White2(2010-2012)
Unwavering Emotions - A tune that occurs many times throughout these games to signify a particularly emotional moment. So serene and sad. A beautiful tune.

Pokemon X & Y (2013)
Snowbelle City - A calm, frosty tune for a calm, frosty place. Reminds me of something from Xenoblade. Which I'll do later if nobody else does.

Kanto Legend Battle - Such an exciting track. You've found one of the legendary Pokemon from the very first Pokemon games. The song opens up with some hype electronic music, then drums and bass when suddenly the 8-bit theme from the original Red/Blue games starts to float in and out of the song. Gave me chills the first time.

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire (2015)
Mt Pyre Peak Theme - An exciting and yet spooky tune to accompany having trekked through a hollowed-out mountain filled with the graves of deceased Pokemon, to reach peak where the region's most revered artifacts lie.

Wally's Final Theme - The stage is set, you've nearly made it every trainer's final destination - the Pokemon league - but one final challenge stands in your way. Your weak rival has finally become a Pokemon master. Cue the electric guitar.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Okami.

It's on my mind as I've been doing a playthrough since the fall. Its music is every bit as distinct and evocative as the visual art-style of the game. It's an integral part of the game's signature art style. Not only is it incredible for its incorporation of traditional Japanese folk instruments, styles and even accents of chanted vocals, but it's got such a range of emotional and thematic tone: playful, tense, empowering, sad, mysterious, majestic, melancholy, grand, touching, adventurous, silly, dark, haunting, bizarre. On some level it feels like the spiritual sequel to what Secret of Mana's soundtrack achieved, only instead of a broader world music influence, it drew on traditionally Japanese source material. Great stuff.

Kushi's Choice

Ryoshima Plains

The Sun Rises

Amaterasu Returns

Issun's Theme

Kaguya's Departure

Cherry Blossom Shower

Theme of Sakuya

The Konohana Shuffle

Canine Warriors Theme

Last edited:

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
God damn, am I surprised no one mentioned this game :p

3D World's soundtrack was awesome as well

Of course, Xenoblade Chronicles has a pretty damn good soundtrack

The Final Fantasy games also have very well orchestrated soundtracks

Of course, I have to include the soundtrack from my favorite Sony game

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
This is a doozy for me because I listen to so much video game music; I don't know where to begin! I'll try to stick to just one post per game, and work my way through some of my favorite more modern soundtracks.

The first franchise that comes to mind is The Legend of Zelda... So, I'll post some of my favorites form the last few games... I apologize for not being very good at formatting my post!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)- Sacred Grove

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)- Midna's Lament

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)- Gerudo Desert

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)- Fi's Farewell

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)- Serenade of Water

Those are just some highlights from a pair of God tier soundtracks. I listen to them in their entirety fairly often.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Pandora's Tower had a great soundtrack inspired by classical pieces like Verdi's Requiem and Franz Liszt Liebestraum.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
I realized that I had missed a few pieces that I really love from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, so I will throw those in as well!

Blizzeta Battle Second Half:

Hyrule Field Night:

Snowpeak:

Gate of Time:

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
If the page starts loading too slowly for anyone, lemme know; I can go back and hyperlink youtube clips instead of the embeds.

Tip of the hat to @BobSilencieux, because we need some Bit.Trip love up in here.
Pandora's Tower had a great soundtrack inspired by classical pieces like Verdi's Requiem and Franz Liszt Liebestraum.

Thanks, now I have to go back and replay it.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Very few theme songs from games truly do make me almost want to cry, and it's usually those songs I hold dearest, especially when they come form a game that took my breath away and became one of my all-time favorite video games. I of course am talking about, Xenoblade Chronicles:

XC Theme

But it's not just XC though. When it comes to theme songs, I think of them in terms of that first impression before you even get a chance to play the game. Metroid Prime did that with its theme:

MP Theme

There's a lot more, but that's for another time.

I actually really like Yuga's theme.

Since we're on Zelda; I may have found the game boring after a bit, and it just might be my least favorite in the series, but damn is this track amazing.

I do wish each segment of the world had it's own train theme, I love the song but don't need to hear it 20 hours in every time I travel.

I've been thinking about Final Fantasy lately. Last year I spread out the 5 main Phoenix Wright games, this year I think I'll do the same with Final Fantasy 6-10. Never played 6, never finished 8, love 7, 9 and 10. Haven't played them since high school though, so I'm interested to see how time alters my opinion.

Been listening to music from them all to get in the mood, but since I'm only allowed to post from 10, I've been listening to this song more and more. Nobuo knows how to make damn good music.

Since I mentioned Phoenix Wright, I can't not post this one.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Since @CitizenOfVerona mentioned Nobuo Uematsu, I'll bring up the Lost Odyssey and the Last Story soundtracks. The Lost Odyssey OST is in the same vein as his soundtracks for Final Fantasy since FF7:
As an aside, Lost Odyssey had great character designs because they were done by the author of the Vagabond manga, which is probably the best drawn manga to date.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5OeXXJef41I/TO1_PyZ-hBI/AAAAAAAAAPE/sEeG0f-NegQ/s1600/vagabond2.jpg

Moving on to the Last Story, the sound of the game changed up a bit. I remember Sakaguchi saying in an Iwata Asks interview that Uematsu had shown up with his usual kind of soundtrack, and Sakaguchi had to turn him down, and it seemed this hurt their friendship. But then Uematsu came back later with a completely different soundtrack, which sounded more like a film score and Sakaguchi loved it.

But then you get to a pretty pivotal point in the game where you have to fight a really strong opponent, and good old Uematsu hits you like a brick:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I just mentioned in the NX Waiting thread how cool Super Mario Galaxy 2's music is. It might not be as iconic or have the staying power of old 2D Mario or Super Mario 64, but I'd say that allowed it to be a little complex and rewarding in multiple listenings, or with closer attention.

And then the final level plus the final boss music, made me think "since when does Mario get Zelda music??" Of course, the composer, Mahito Yokota, went on to work on Skyward Sword the next year.

This thread needs some salvation. Holy Salvation

Entire soundtrack is pretty great. I have a soft spot for guitars, but theres some variety. Metal bits, rock bits, some punk pieces, trance, electronic and hymnal, all still very neatly connected. Love it.

Hopefully the next game lives up to it.