Booze Enthusiast

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Man, there's no reason for Rogue beer to cost as much as it does. $15 for a damn six pack? Regardless, I saw "Mocha Porter" and knew I had to try it. First sip, not that special.

Rest of bottle, special. That's a damn good porter. You get the chocolate, you get the coffee, you get the roasty notes. Nice little bite on the end so the sweetness doesn't overstay its welcome. It's not overly viscous (the flavor is rich enough; you don't want to have a beer you can chew on with this).

It's not $15-worth special, but that's a good beer.
Reminds me of this beer from New Holland which is called Imperial Stout Dragon's Milk. It was a damn fine beer. Supposedly you could not find it where I live (in Milwaukee though I heard, or Chicago), but I believe you can find it now in my area. I'll have to search for it now it's on my mind.

I'll definitely have to check out that Rogue Beer you're talking about though, and see if it's ven available in my area.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
For the hell of it, I bought Dogfish Head's Namaste, just because they make one of the best beers out there (Indian Brown ale), and I wanted to see their take on a witbier.

And it's horrible. I mean not even close to good. They're trying to hit that Blue Moon crowd ("white beer brewed with orange slices, lemongrass, coriander and peppercorns"), and instead it just tastes like a common, overly aggressive, thoroughly American hefeweizen (like Flying Dog's In-Heat Wheat). The orange has this chalkiness to it; it tastes more like bananas - again, like a FD.

For shame. For all the shit beer snobs give Blue Moon, they mostly can't come close to making something as drinkable.
I'll definitely have to check out that Rogue Beer you're talking about though, and see if it's ven available in my area.
If you can find it, get the 40 oz. It's cheaper. Mocha Porter is a good beer, but $15 for a six pack is pretty ridiculous. You can buy two sixers of decent suds for that.

EvilTw1n

Homework for @Majorbuddah? The 61 Best Breweries in America (well, allegedly), one of which is called "Funky Buddha." Apparently they make some of the best porters out there, so they'd be right up my alley.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-best-breweries-in-america-114421936161.html

No Sam Adams or Rogue, though? I mean, I get it, Sam is a big brewer these days, but I'll be damned if anyone else puts out as much good beer as them. Good to see Abita on the list - if you can get your hands on their Turbo Dog brown ale, it's pretty damn good.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I had the first beer in quite a while that straight up impressed me.

It's a Terrible from Unibroue. I would describe it as being midway between a dunkel and an Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It's got a heavy flavor and perfect carbonation, maybe only dragging its ass toward the end. It's complex but not overwhelming, rather it's a balance of flavors than come together instead of laying on top of each other. I had it on its own and it was great, then I had more after eating some deep-dish pizza-flavored cheese puffs (...I know) and it tasted different but great, then I had more while eating some chicken and pasta with mushrooms and again it tasted different but still great. I'm sure as the savory and salty food was blocking my tastebuds I was just experiencing different sides of the drink. I'll definitely get more of this, maybe even tonight or tomorrow to drink while Splatoonering. Of course the downside is that it's expensive, but really it's something you get to pair with a really nice dinner.

Speaking of Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, I hadn't had that beer in several years, and the last time I had it I remembered it being too much for me. Well I decided to have it again, and this time it was pretty great. From over here, it feels like Guiness is miles away.

As an honorable mention, here's this Third Base Belgian Tripel Ale, which I really liked a few months ago and forgot to post about. Belgian Style Tripels are the other kind of complex I mentioned, the layered kind. Typically with this stuff, it's like having a whole dinner plate in a mouthful of alcohol, a rollercoaster of flavors. But this Third Base is pretty tempered as far as I recall, which is why I liked it more, as I could still appreciate each flavor for what it was without feeling overwhelmed.

Shoulder

It's a Terrible from Unibroue. I would describe it as being midway between a dunkel and an Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It's got a heavy flavor and perfect carbonation, maybe only dragging its ass toward the end. It's complex but not overwhelming, rather it's a balance of flavors than come together instead of laying on top of each other. I had it on its own and it was great, then I had more after eating some deep-dish pizza-flavored cheese puffs (...I know) and it tasted different but great, then I had more while eating some chicken and pasta with mushrooms and again it tasted different but still great. I'm sure as the savory and salty food was blocking my tastebuds I was just experiencing different sides of the drink. I'll definitely get more of this, maybe even tonight or tomorrow to drink while Splatoonering. Of course the downside is that it's expensive, but really it's something you get to pair with a really nice dinner.

Speaking of Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, I hadn't had that beer in several years, and the last time I had it I remembered it being too much for me. Well I decided to have it again, and this time it was pretty great. From over here, it feels like Guiness is miles away.

As an honorable mention, here's this Third Base Belgian Tripel Ale, which I really liked a few months ago and forgot to post about. Belgian Style Tripels are the other kind of complex I mentioned, the layered kind. Typically with this stuff, it's like having a whole dinner plate in a mouthful of alcohol, a rollercoaster of flavors. But this Third Base is pretty tempered as far as I recall, which is why I liked it more, as I could still appreciate each flavor for what it was without feeling overwhelmed.

I need to try some more sophisticated beers :p

I've heard of Old Rasputin, so maybe I'll have to try that Imperial Stout sometime. I tend to like Stouts, and as well as Ales and Porters. I usually despise lagers unless I'm trying to get drunk and don't give a damn. I don't do that much anymore, and even if I were trying to get drunk, I'd get more bang with my money with whiskey, vodka, rum, or tequila.

Now first, I need to see if I can find Old Rasputin anywhere locally...

EvilTw1n

I went down to the Irish pub here, and they had some Newcastle Brown Ale on tap. It was fantastic. Every Newcastle I've had (since the first sixer) has been just a little bit skunky. It's those damn clear bottles (what's wrong with you, Brits?). On tap, though, it's frickin' great. Probably the best macro beer I've had.

Man, every Russian Imperial Stout I've had has given me a horrendous hangover. I thought it was just because the last one I had was from Brooklyn Brewery, and it had been sitting for a year at the booze store (apparently this is a thing now), but I had a locally-brewed RIS a few weeks ago that knocked me down. I'm not huge on the taste of them (the high ABV seems to turn up a little bit of the sourness), anyways, but I do love the buzz.
I need to try some more sophisticated beers :p

I've heard of Old Rasputin, so maybe I'll have to try that Imperial Stout sometime. I tend to like Stouts, and as well as Ales and Porters. I usually despise lagers unless I'm trying to get drunk and don't give a damn. I don't do that much anymore, and even if I were trying to get drunk, I'd get more bang with my money with whiskey, vodka, rum, or tequila.

Now first, I need to see if I can find Old Rasputin anywhere locally...
Stouts and porters are always the answer.

But I appreciate a good lager. Not the water that is Budweiser, but Sam Adams Boston Lager is always a fantastic go-to beer. Anchor's Steam beer is, too (it's technically a California Common, but it uses lager yeast). Highly, highly recommend Anchor. If you can't find a lager you like, try it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I went down to the Irish pub here, and they had some Newcastle Brown Ale on tap. It was fantastic. Every Newcastle I've had (since the first sixer) has been just a little bit skunky. It's those damn clear bottles (what's wrong with you, Brits?). On tap, though, it's frickin' great. Probably the best macro beer I've had.

Man, every Russian Imperial Stout I've had has given me a horrendous hangover. I thought it was just because the last one I had was from Brooklyn Brewery, and it had been sitting for a year at the booze store (apparently this is a thing now), but I had a locally-brewed RIS a few weeks ago that knocked me down. I'm not huge on the taste of them (the high ABV seems to turn up a little bit of the sourness), anyways, but I do love the buzz.

Stouts and porters are always the answer.

But I appreciate a good lager. Not the water that is Budweiser, but Sam Adams Boston Lager is always a fantastic go-to beer. Anchor's Steam beer is, too (it's technically a California Common, but it uses lager yeast). Highly, highly recommend Anchor. If you can't find a lager you like, try it.
NewCastle just hearing this name makes me wanna go buy and drink them all. There fantastic IMO

Shoulder

NewCastle just hearing this name makes me wanna go buy and drink them all. There fantastic IMO
I was about to get clever and say something, but then realized that NewCastle and Whitecastle are two different things. Maybe I've been hanging out with Harold and Kumar too often...

Shoulder

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a36965/pear-juice-hangover-cure/

Huh. Guess I'll have to invest in some pear juice for my next Fear and Loathing-sort of night.
The one I've heard over the years was a slice of bread with maple syrup on it, after you've been drinking and just before going to bed. Drinking a liter of so of water also helps, and then when you get up, drink something with electrolytes in them, so Gatorade is a safe bet.

I personally used to pop a couple of Excedrin before bed, and also never woke up with a hangover.

EvilTw1n

I hate Hefeweizens. But oddly, I don't mind Yuengling's new summer wheat "traitional weizen." I'm OK with Belgian wheat beers (yep, even Blue Moon), but nearly every other hefeweizen is like being throat fucked with a banana*.

But because it's a Yuengling, and they don't do overpowering flavor, this is surprisingly decent. It tastes like a good hefeweizen to me because it's probably a bad hefeweizen.

*What? It was the 90s.
The one I've heard over the years was a slice of bread with maple syrup on it, after you've been drinking and just before going to bed. Drinking a liter of so of water also helps, and then when you get up, drink something with electrolytes in them, so Gatorade is a safe bet.

I personally used to pop a couple of Excedrin before bed, and also never woke up with a hangover.
There's science behind carbs (so, lots of fried food) and hydration, but never something 100% preventative if you get aggressive with your drinking. Of course, since I don't really aggressively drink anymore, I might not need to try pear juice, but still...

Shoulder

I hate Hefeweizens. But oddly, I don't mind Yuengling's new summer wheat "traitional weizen." I'm OK with Belgian wheat beers (yep, even Blue Moon), but nearly every other hefeweizen is like being throat fucked with a banana*.

But because it's a Yuengling, and they don't do overpowering flavor, this is surprisingly decent. It tastes like a good hefeweizen to me because it's probably a bad hefeweizen.

*What? It was the 90s.

There's science behind carbs (so, lots of fried food) and hydration, but never something 100% preventative if you get aggressive with your drinking. Of course, since I don't really aggressively drink anymore, I might not need to try pear juice, but still...
TNE should conduct a science experiment...

Shoulder

Because we can, because we care.

What's the experiment?
Why hangovers cures, of course. It might be brutal, and some of us could lose a few brain cells in the process (although I think Reality TV will destroy more), but we could be onto something big here if we try.

I can picture it now:

"TNE tries science, bitches!"

@LightsaberBlues is good with these things, he should come up with a poster for all of us, you know?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Why hangovers cures, of course. It might be brutal, and some of us could lose a few brain cells in the process (although I think Reality TV will destroy more), but we could be onto something big here if we try.

I can picture it now:

"TNE tries science, bitches!"

@LightsaberBlues is good with these things, he should come up with a poster for all of us, you know?
I like it

EvilTw1n

I'm starting to think my life is just a series of long, blurry weeks that happen in between Oktoberfest. Started off with Abita's Pecan Harvest Ale (very good, but a little rough up front), then Sam Adams' Oktoberfest (fantastic), and just polished off Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest (best of the lot so far).

Also, Sierra Nevada is now 50% owned by Heineken.
http://fortune.com/2015/09/08/heineken-lagunitas-craft/

This is why that doesn't matter.
http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a37746/i-dont-care-who-owns-your-favorite-brewery/

Shoulder

I'm starting to think my life is just a series of long, blurry weeks that happen in between Oktoberfest. Started off with Abita's Pecan Harvest Ale (very good, but a little rough up front), then Sam Adams' Oktoberfest (fantastic), and just polished off Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest (best of the lot so far).

Also, Sierra Nevada is now 50% owned by Heineken.
http://fortune.com/2015/09/08/heineken-lagunitas-craft/

This is why that doesn't matter.
http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a37746/i-dont-care-who-owns-your-favorite-brewery/
Agreed. As long as the beer tastes like it always has, having it venture into other markets can only be a good thing. And the best part? Hipsters will no longer drink that beer because it'll be too mainstream. Suck it, hipsters!

Speaking of alcohol, so every Tuesday evening, I head down to the hotel restaurant for some Tacos (love Taco Tuesdays), and with my tacos, I always order a drink. Specifically, it's been whiskey. At first, it was Maker's Mark on the rocks, and then they stopped carrying it, so I had to come up with another whiskey. I noticed they did not at the time have Knob Creek, but they did have Jameson. So I went with the Jameson, and after a few weeks of drinking it, I'm liking it. Granted, this is all on the rocks, so it'll be a bit watered down, but nonetheless, it tastes pretty good all things considered. I'll definitely have to pick up myself a bottle of Jameson at some point.

EvilTw1n

Agreed. As long as the beer tastes like it always has, having it venture into other markets can only be a good thing. And the best part? Hipsters will no longer drink that beer because it'll be too mainstream. Suck it, hipsters!

Speaking of alcohol, so every Tuesday evening, I head down to the hotel restaurant for some Tacos (love Taco Tuesdays), and with my tacos, I always order a drink. Specifically, it's been whiskey. At first, it was Maker's Mark on the rocks, and then they stopped carrying it, so I had to come up with another whiskey. I noticed they did not at the time have Knob Creek, but they did have Jameson. So I went with the Jameson, and after a few weeks of drinking it, I'm liking it. Granted, this is all on the rocks, so it'll be a bit watered down, but nonetheless, it tastes pretty good all things considered. I'll definitely have to pick up myself a bottle of Jameson at some point.
There's two types of beer idiots. Beer hipsters (who look down on people who don't drink PBR or Natty Boh), and beer snobs (who insist that the only beer worth drinking comes from a "craft brewery" that amounts to a pillow fort in some guy's basement). I piss them both off by ordering Blue Moon, which everyone hates, and yet which no other brewer seems to get right. But yeah, I do wonder what the snobs will do now that their precious Sierra has "gone macro." I'm hoping it actually allows them to brew their Tumbler year-round. That is a frickin' amazing beer.

And Jameson is a great, great whiskey. Irish whiskey gets shat on by the majority of whiskey snobs (it's not peaty or smoky like scotch, or sweet and oaky like bourbon), but the secret is slowly getting out. It's fantastic. Tullamore Dew and Bushmills are also great. If you can find John L. Sullivan whiskey, that's pretty damn good (and cheap). Connemara is flipping AMAZING (but expensive).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I had this this weekend, liked it a lot. Don't remember much what it tasted like, though, just that it was really easy to drink and had left a slight taste of syrup in my mouth. But it compelled me to check-in the beer in the untappd app, which I don't do often.

I know I'll be getting it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Shoulder

I had this this weekend, liked it a lot. Don't remember much what it tasted like, though, just that it was really easy to drink and had left a slight taste of syrup in my mouth. But it compelled me to check-in the beer in the untappd app, which I don't do often.

I know I'll be getting it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
I like Scotch Ale. I'll check around to see if I can find this locally.

EvilTw1n

Went to the liquor store looking for more Oktoberfest. Found this instead.

20150915_183025_LLS.jpg

http://www.dayofthedeadbeer.com/?CachedSimilarDay
(Dunno if that'll link directly.)

Not fair.

That's a formidable dessert beer. Because it's not overbearing and heavy. Lots of chocolate and oatmeal stouts are really cloying. Not that one. It's sweet, but restrained enough that you could drink more than one. Really impressed. This is the type of beer you'd give someone who doesn't like beer. It would convert the agnostic, I'd wager.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Went to the liquor store looking for more Oktoberfest. Found this instead.

View attachment 2441

http://www.dayofthedeadbeer.com/?CachedSimilarDay
(Dunno if that'll link directly.)

Not fair.

That's a formidable dessert beer. Because it's not overbearing and heavy. Lots of chocolate and oatmeal stouts are really cloying. Not that one. It's sweet, but restrained enough that you could drink more than one. Really impressed. This is the type of beer you'd give someone who doesn't like beer. It would convert the agnostic, I'd wager.
I remember having their Hefeweizen and really disliking it, but maybe I'll give that Chocolatl Stout or their porter a try when I see them.

Shoulder

Damn it. Everytime I visit this thread, I forget all the beer I'm suppose to go find. At this rate, I'll have an entire fridge full of this stuff. Hope my body can take a beer diet...

Shoulder

So I finally picked up some of that Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, and...

Oh, and as an added bonus, I picked up a bottle of Jameson as well. :mthumb:

Goodtwin

I'm a beer guy for sure, but Jameson is a liquor that I like to have a shot of here and there.

I have been drinking a lot of Great Lakes Oktoberfest lately, but I have to admit, Busch Light is still in my repitwa. A real light beer can be nice at times. I don't like drinking heavy beers while eating, typically makes be bloated really quickly.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

EvilTw1n

I'm a beer guy for sure, but Jameson is a liquor that I like to have a shot of here and there.

I have been drinking a lot of Great Lakes Oktoberfest lately, but I have to admit, Busch Light is still in my repitwa. A real light beer can be nice at times. I don't like drinking heavy beers while eating, typically makes be bloated really quickly.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
I can drink some Yuengling Light. It's a go-to if I've been drinking a lot of heavy beers (I once capped a night of hard drinking with a Flying Dog Mint Chocolate Chip Stout, and I've never felt that bad after a beer in my life). Plus, for spicy food, I much prefer to eat it with a lighter brew.

But that aside? I do like a beer with a bit more to it. A few more Oktoberfests from this year:

-Yuengling's is about the same as last year. Just a slightly more sour version of regular Yuengling Lager.
-Shiner's is a little rough, but not unpleasant. Quite decent.
-Flying Dog's is mediocre. Big disappointment after last year.

Sam and Sierra are still tops. But I might take that Day of the Dead chocolate stout over either of 'em.

(Also, sorry to hear about your genital warts. I thought you were the good twin?)

Goodtwin

Too much Oktoberfest can result in some bad decision making. I told my wife she can't complain that I never gave her anything.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

I enjoy that pun. I'm not big on pale ales, but I wouldn't mind buying this just to see if some real effort went into making it.

Edit: It's apparently Australia only. So a job for @Cubits and @EthanGK (if you're able to drink now).

EvilTw1n

So Sunday-Monday was my buddy's 40th birthday. And I couldn't leave a guy hanging, so we drank out his 30s on Sunday, then drank in his 40s on Monday.

Finally got the local brewer's Oktoberfest (not bad), had Heavy Seas' Deep Six Porter (effing phenomenal), drank the always-excellent Boston Lager, had some beers I can't remember...and by late Monday, I was pretty well spent. But you can't leave a friend hanging when they want to be out for their birthday. So I said "fuck you, pride," and I drank my first Pabst Blue Ribbon.

...and y'know what? As swill goes, it's not bad. Actually tastes like beer. It doesn't compare to the usual stuff that's destroying my liver (and soul), but I'd drink another PBR. I may even buy a sixer this weekend to be a complete hipster.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So Sunday-Monday was my buddy's 40th birthday. And I couldn't leave a guy hanging, so we drank out his 30s on Sunday, then drank in his 40s on Monday.

Finally got the local brewer's Oktoberfest (not bad), had Heavy Seas' Deep Six Porter (effing phenomenal), drank the always-excellent Boston Lager, had some beers I can't remember...and by late Monday, I was pretty well spent. But you can't leave a friend hanging when they want to be out for their birthday. So I said "fuck you, pride," and I drank my first Pabst Blue Ribbon.

...and y'know what? As swill goes, it's not bad. Actually tastes like beer. It doesn't compare to the usual stuff that's destroying my liver (and soul), but I'd drink another PBR. I may even buy a sixer this weekend to be a complete hipster.
PBR is about on par with Lone Star, which is to say not only is it not abysmal, but also not terrible. Easy to get wasted on, honestly. I think I still prefer the corn oil taste of Budweiser, between those 3.

EvilTw1n

PBR is about on par with Lone Star, which is to say not only is it not abysmal, but also not terrible. Easy to get wasted on, honestly. I think I still prefer the corn oil taste of Budweiser, between those 3.

I bought a six-pack tonight. Yep. Without having an I-forget-how-many number of beers before PBR, it's...not abysmal. Nor does the depth of its sorrow reach terrible. It's an...acceptable beer. The type of beer I'd drink with spicy food (when you don't want other flavors crowding the palate) or terrigood fried food (when you don't want a heavy beer interfering with your tater tots and fried chicken).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

I bought a six-pack tonight. Yep. Without having an I-forget-how-many number of beers before PBR, it's...not abysmal. Nor does the depth of its sorrow reach terrible. It's an...acceptable beer. The type of beer I'd drink with spicy food (when you don't want other flavors crowding the palate) or terrigood fried food (when you don't want a heavy beer interfering with your tater tots and fried chicken).
That's a very good point. I'll make sure to get a lone star next time I eat some fried food.

isturbo1984

Whoremonger & Cokefiend
Just sipping on a Sam Adams right now. I get one of their seasonal variety packs every season. This one is their Spring pack (I think), "Cabin Pack." Way better than last year's. Not the best brewery, but they are relable and have a decent amount of rotating beers. always something new with them.

The doughnut one is a god damn disaster haha.

The chipotle though... It's so good. Drink it ice cold with a good steak or a burrito or something. You wont regret it.
Oh god. I tried their Lemon Chiffon Donghnut... ... ...

How can the same brewery that puts out the Dead Guy Ale make that??

Shoulder

So for years, I've always want to try out vodka infused gummi Bears, so I finally got the chance to try it out.

So I bought a pack of Haribo gummi Bears, and used up the last of my parents' Rehorst Vodka, put it all into a container, and let it sit for two days. After the first day, I got a spoon to stir it all, so it would soak up more, and not become one big blob of vodka gummis. After the second day, I stirred the gummis again, then put it all into a strainer to get any excess vodka and sugar vodka.

And the result? Not too shabby, I have to say. You can definitely tell the vodka is in there, but you still have the normal sweet taste of the gummi bear itself. My Mom thought it was quite potent, so I feel I did my job.

I've been told that if you have around two dozen, maybe less it's the equivalent of having a shot. So these can sneak up on if you're not careful.

Drawbacks? Well, unlike OG gummi Bears where you can just grab 2-4 at a time no issue with your finger, you almost need a spoon to eat these because they are so slippery, and are more runny compared to the other gummi Bears. I also think you should eat these one at a time as well.

Overall though? Quite pleased with the result, and would recommend for anyone. Just be careful not to eat a whole bag worth in one sitting.

Next up will be to try Jell-O shots in the near future. :mthumb:

nice to see this thread here...

I hale from the land of Whiskey with an 'e'. Which now is protected under EU law... Scotch can only be made in scotland and now Whiskey, Poitin and Irish Cream can only be made in Ireland.

Over this past year Ive been exploring some small batch brewery drinks through beer52.com plus ive been making my own wine... NOT from grapes, or kits, but ive made wine from Blackberries, Blackcurrents, Nectarines and Rhubarb.

OK so instagram code doesnt work but heres a link to a couple of posts there by me with the rhubarb wine
https://www.instagram.com/p/3WD9UnG0c6/?taken-by=weeman_com
https://www.instagram.com/p/18dmRBm0Zr/?taken-by=weeman_com
https://www.instagram.com/p/15kuSrG0Q2/?taken-by=weeman_com

EvilTw1n

I'd been meaning to bump this...
If anyone gets a chance to get Great Lakes Christmas Ale, give it a try. It's my favorite beer of the year. It's not cheap, 12 bucks for a six pack, but it's also 7.5 percent alcohol. Excellent beer.
Due to Mr. GT's kindness, I was able to sample some of this Great Lakes Christmas Ale, and I can attest to its badassery. Y'know how a lot of "winter warmers" overdue it with the cinnamon? Not this one. Just enough cinnamon, a little bit of gingerbread, and some cocoa. Sweet malts, just enough hops so that it isn't cloying. I'd drink the brown ale that's the base for this alone, but they add some damn good flavors for this brew. Legit top 10 of all-time beers that I've tasted. Up there with Dogfish Head Indian Brown, Sam's Chocolate Stout, etc. Big ups to my buddy for letting me sample this.

Other recent beers:
Sam Adam's Nitro White/Cold Snap - Really good. Like a premium Blue Moon, but with the Nitro smoothness.
Sam Adam's Nitro Coffee Stout - Decent. I expect some chocolate in these types of beers, but none here. It's good, but I expected great.
Yuengling India Pale Lager - Surprisingly good. I'm not a hops guy, but this one has big, juicy grapefruit up front. It's obviously built on Yuengling's lager, which isn't too viscous or sweet, so you basically get hops, a touch of sweetness, then a little copper. For a macro brew, this is a lot of flavor. A hoppy beer for people who don't like hoppy beers.

On the whisky front, tried out Johnnie Walker Double Black. Save your money. Regular Black is where it's at. Double Black commits the sin of adding so much smoke that it gets medicinal. It gives you the taste of a really old scotch for $40, but quite a few of the really old scotches I've had have been routinely horrible.

EvilTw1n

Well, it's the most wonderful time of the year.

No, not Christmas.

Oktoberfest, my friends. Time for a review of what's good and what's horrendous.

Sam Adams Octoberfest - Legit. They've had one bad bottling these past few years, but the rest have all been very good. Like this one. Malt for days, but not overly sweet or rough with it. Just enough hops to balance it. Could use a little more caramel, but otherwise it's nearly perfect. Has been on shelves since late August around here (that's kinda like advertising for Christmas the day after Halloween, but I'm not gonna complain).

Flying Dog Dogtoberfest - Shit. Because it was skunked. Which is mind boggling - this was literally bottled down the street; how do you skunk a beer that has to be transported less than 10 miles? - and that alone is enough to say to avoid this. Odds are, it'll be even worse by the time it gets to your state. Will reevaluate if I can find it on tap. Sam was crap one year in bottles, but good in a tapped keg.

Victory Festbier Oktoberfest - Woah, woah, woah. This...I...huh? That's a lot of malt, man. At first I thought this was a touch skunked, but I think it's just a ton of caramel right up in the first sip. Seriously, seriously smooth. I need to try another bottle to wrap my head around this one. A lot going on. It's listed as an amber lager, not a Märzen. There's one odd taste note (the aforementioned "is it skunked"?) in it that I can't place.

Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest - WHAT. This shouldn't be any good. It's hugely hoppy up front. Not IPA-level hoppy, but for this style of beer, that's a damn big hop/bitter note to start on. It pours golden (not the brownish copper of these other beers), and that's the tell, because this mellows into a very German beer. Very crisp and clean. There's just enough malt to make this still taste like an Oktoberfest. I really like this, even though it's not what I expect from a Märzen at all.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Well, it's the most wonderful time of the year.

No, not Christmas.

Oktoberfest, my friends. Time for a review of what's good and what's horrendous.

Sam Adams Octoberfest - Legit. They've had one bad bottling these past few years, but the rest have all been very good. Like this one. Malt for days, but not overly sweet or rough with it. Just enough hops to balance it. Could use a little more caramel, but otherwise it's nearly perfect. Has been on shelves since late August around here (that's kinda like advertising for Christmas the day after Halloween, but I'm not gonna complain).
I swear I will finally try the Sam Adams Octoberfest one of these days. I just saw it a couple of days ago but didn't want to take it yet. I may bring back the Sierra Nevada as well.

EvilTw1n

I swear I will finally try the Sam Adams Octoberfest one of these days. I just saw it a couple of days ago but didn't want to take it yet. I may bring back the Sierra Nevada as well.
I'm a whore for Oktoberfest (favorite of all seasonal beers), so I'm gonna be drinking a lot more of everything, because 'Merica. But definitely give the Sam a shot, if you can. The bottling I had was a pretty solid version of the style. It's a good neutral spot to compare everything else to.

Knowing how you dug those German beers we were gawking at, I think you'd really like the Sierra.

Shoulder

I can't do it anymore guys. I just can't do it.

So earlier today, I went to a Beer and Cheese fest in my hometown, had an awesome time, tried a lot of different beers, and had some really good cheese, but something I think has finally occurred to me after all these years. I can't fucking stand beer. There. I said it. I tried, folks. I REALLY tried, and for awhile I felt I could dig it, but ultimately, I just cannot stomach it any longer. And over the last couple years, I've started getting some pretty bad headaches as a result (something that I never get with wine or spirits). Like I said, I've seriously wanted to like beers, and I guess it's part of that social stigma, or society side of things that we are encouraged to love and drink beer. I mean, there's no time like Miller time, amirite? (fucking shaking my head right now since Miller can suck a massive donkey's dong).

After earlier this evening, and events that followed, I just can't do it anymore. I'm done. Beer? I'm finished with you. We've had a good ride for the past decade or so, and it's time we've parted ways. Stay frosty, and cheers.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

So earlier today, I went to a Beer and Cheese fest in my hometown, had an awesome time, tried a lot of different beers, and had some really good cheese, but something I think has finally occurred to me after all these years. I can't fucking stand beer. There. I said it. I tried, folks. I REALLY tried, and for awhile I felt I could dig it, but ultimately, I just cannot stomach it any longer. And over the last couple years, I've started getting some pretty bad headaches as a result (something that I never get with wine or spirits). Like I said, I've seriously wanted to like beers, and I guess it's part of that social stigma, or society side of things that we are encouraged to love and drink beer. I mean, there's no time like Miller time, amirite? (fucking shaking my head right now since Miller can suck a massive donkey's dong).

After earlier this evening, and events that followed, I just can't do it anymore. I'm done. Beer? I'm finished with you. We've had a good ride for the past decade or so, and it's time we've parted ways. Stay frosty, and cheers.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

I'll give you one last recommendation. Have you tried drinking some of the more wine-like stuff, like Belgian style ales, or dark strong ales, or trappist beers? This is the kind of stuff I get when I want a kingly drink (I know I'll be getting a bottle of Chimay or a few Rochefort 10 bottles for Zelda - I did the same for XCX a year ago). The stuff is expensive, but it's worth it for special times. Anything that looks like the pictures below:

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
For those of y'all living in a cold environment (unlike me), what you need is some "Spikey" Hot Chocolate.

1. Pour a shot of Carolan's Irish Cream into a cup (or whatever type you can get.)
  2. Put a packet of Swiss Miss hot chocolate in the cup and stir well.
  3. Pour hot water on top while stirring.
  4. Add marshmallows.
  5. Drink.