Booze Enthusiast

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I agree with @juegosmajicos - Chimay is fantastic. Especially the Blue label. (Order of best is Blue label then red then white)

My old bosses used to drink this all the time and got me hooked. (They were European, so I trust them.)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I can't do it anymore guys. I just can't do it.

So earlier today, I went to a Beer and Cheese fest in my hometown, had an awesome time, tried a lot of different beers, and had some really good cheese, but something I think has finally occurred to me after all these years. I can't fucking stand beer. There. I said it. I tried, folks. I REALLY tried, and for awhile I felt I could dig it, but ultimately, I just cannot stomach it any longer. And over the last couple years, I've started getting some pretty bad headaches as a result (something that I never get with wine or spirits). Like I said, I've seriously wanted to like beers, and I guess it's part of that social stigma, or society side of things that we are encouraged to love and drink beer. I mean, there's no time like Miller time, amirite? (fucking shaking my head right now since Miller can suck a massive donkey's dong).

After earlier this evening, and events that followed, I just can't do it anymore. I'm done. Beer? I'm finished with you. We've had a good ride for the past decade or so, and it's time we've parted ways. Stay frosty, and cheers.
Your taste is what it is, amigo. For the longest time, I only drank whiskey and couldn't stand beer. I didn't appreciate wine. It didn't matter what people tried to sell me on; I just drank what I drank and that was that.

Perhaps one day you'll make your way back. Perhaps not with Miller, but with a good chocolate stout. Cheers.

EvilTw1n

So I think I've found it.

The best cheap beer.

It's a little sweet. Has a sort of biscuit-y type of bite in the aftertaste like Newcastle. Just a touch of bitter upfront to balance the sweetness.

$5 for a sixer.

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
I'm quite partial to Lone Star out here in Texas when I'm looking to save some money at a bar. It's dirt cheap and very refreshing. It goes very well with Tex-Mex. I don't drink it a lot unless I'm at bars. I just don't drink a lot of beer in general so I'll normally spend a little more for Saint Arnold's or Zeigenbock. It beats the hell out of Budweiser or Miller though.

simplyTravis

Odo

Yeah, obviously, but I read in an article that frozen pints can spoil the true beer taste or whatever. I only know that the best pints I get are in frozen mugs. It just makes the beer better, but maybe it was just me lol or I don’t get anything about beers.

simplyTravis

Yeah, obviously, but I read in an article that frozen pints can spoil the true beer taste or whatever. I only know that the best pints I get are in frozen mugs. It just makes the beer better, but maybe it was just me lol or I don’t get anything about beers.
Well, I would imagine it spoils some of it. The tastes that are there when it's warm are not nearly as pleasant for me coming from a normally hot environment. I like the refreshment that comes along with it which I think is better than the subtle hints of extra beeriness that are there. Of course, I tend to drink my whiskey on the rocks too. Cold = better. Warm = meh-er.

Odo

I think the myth about warm beer in Europe comes from how they would serve ale in ale houses at "room temperature". The thing is, in an ale house the room temperature had to be quite cold for the yeast to ferment at the desired rate. Or something like that.

Edit: Lots of good answers here: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Americans-like-their-beer-cold-and-Europeans-not-so-cold
Some replies are talking about ice cubes. Indeed in Europe they don't care much about ice cubs either.

I can't live without ice cubs though. My Coke has to be served with as many ice cubes as I can find. Even in -20 C winter.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Some replies are talking about ice cubes. Indeed in Europe they don't care much about ice cubs either.

I can't live without ice cubs though. My Coke has to be served with as many ice cubes as I can find. Even in -20 C winter.
To be honest I don't like ice cubes in my drinks either, I feel like they get watered down. To be fair, I saw ice cubes every back in Mexico, probably even more than here in the US. Mexicans love their hielos.

I do drink my sodas and beers chilled, or at least moderately cooled.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Adding ice cubes to your drinks only dilutes/waters down what you're drinking, which I hardly find that to be a good thing. It's one thing in a typical glass of whiskey to add a splash of water (which has positive effects in improving aromas, and the flavor), but loading up a glass or cup with tons of ice is pointless. Besides, you get less for your money too.

I know whenever I go a fast food joint and get a drink you can get free refills, I put a minimal amount of ice in there.

On a side note, if you want your whiskey chilled, but without the dilution, then whiskey stones are your friend. :mthumb:

Odo

Random thought; I kinda wish the Coke Cola company would release a limited re-run of their infamous "New Coke". I want to give it a try sometime.
Me too. I hope they never change it, but I'd like to try this version.

The great thing about Coke is that it's the same worldwide. I've had Fanta, Sprite and many other pops in many countries, it's never the same. Coke -- and Big Mac -- is the same.

Koenig

The Architect
Me too. I hope they never change it, but I'd like to try this version.

The great thing about Coke is that it's the same worldwide. I've had Fanta, Sprite and many other pops in many countries, it's never the same. Coke -- and Big Mac -- is the same.
Mexican Coke > American Coke. The use of cane sugar makes a big difference.

Odo

I’m just reading here that there’s a kosher coke for Jews Passover. They say it’s the same as Mexican, with real sugar. I’ll pick up one if I find it

Koenig

The Architect
That’s new. I’ve never been to Mexico. I want to have a go now
Note that Coke Cola sold in Mexico does not use cane sugar anymore (much like the US), but rather the version using cane sugar is exported to the US as a Mexican product. If you ever visit any of the state bordering Mexico (Texas, Arizona, new Mexico) you can probably find the import at the majority of stores there. The cane sugar colas will always be in glass bottles (Although not all glass bottled coke cola use cane sugar)

EDIT:

Keep your eyes peeled for these.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

So this ish right here. Yeah.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/stone-seasonals/stone-xocoveza#ageGatePassed

Mexican hot chocolate imperial stout. I don't even like imperial stouts, because they tend to give me the worst hangovers*.

But the taste of this one won't be denied. Imperial stouts usually have a sort of grape-y flavor. Not this one. It's just a big, heavy, stout. With (very) dark chocolate, and just a little bit of spice (very little; easy to miss). Easily the best beer I've had this year. By leaps and bounds.

This one almost did, too.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So this ish right here. Yeah.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/stone-seasonals/stone-xocoveza#ageGatePassed

Mexican hot chocolate imperial stout. I don't even like imperial stouts, because they tend to give me the worst hangovers*.

But the taste of this one won't be denied. Imperial stouts usually have a sort of grape-y flavor. Not this one. It's just a big, heavy, stout. With (very) dark chocolate, and just a little bit of spice (very little; easy to miss). Easily the best beer I've had this year. By leaps and bounds.

This one almost did, too.
Duly noted. I'll see if I find one around here.

GaemzDood

I had a glass of Modelo and it was basically piss beer, as in it made me have to piss repeatedly for the next couple of hours, but it tasted pretty good and I wasn't paying $8 for a fucking Margarita when my meal was already $14 and I wanted to leave at least a 15% tip since I'm a decent human being. Then I had Space Dust IPA for the first time and holy shit that flavor is insanely strong, plus the carbonation is nuts. The aftertaste is great though. It was 22 oz and I shared some with a friend.

GaemzDood

Your taste is what it is, amigo. For the longest time, I only drank whiskey and couldn't stand beer. I didn't appreciate wine. It didn't matter what people tried to sell me on; I just drank what I drank and that was that.

Perhaps one day you'll make your way back. Perhaps not with Miller, but with a good chocolate stout. Cheers.
I didn't drink for the longest time since the beer I accidentally had in 3rd grade put me off of it for the longest time. However, my picky taste buds did a complete 180 over the course of a year and now I'll virtually eat and drink anything unless it's 100% black coffee or olives. I'm just getting into social drinking again since, well, I'm tired of being the odd one out at friends' places and parties.

Adding ice cubes to your drinks only dilutes/waters down what you're drinking, which I hardly find that to be a good thing. It's one thing in a typical glass of whiskey to add a splash of water (which has positive effects in improving aromas, and the flavor), but loading up a glass or cup with tons of ice is pointless. Besides, you get less for your money too.

I know whenever I go a fast food joint and get a drink you can get free refills, I put a minimal amount of ice in there.

On a side note, if you want your whiskey chilled, but without the dilution, then whiskey stones are your friend. :mthumb:
If you let it sit out, yeah.

I have a friend who has genuine sensory issues with ice cubes. He'd rather drink hot lemonade.

Shoulder

Since I am a regular Costco shopper, it only makes sense to at some point try out their brand of booze, and my GF and I decided to try out their 18 year single malt, specifically this (not my photo):

For 18 year old Scotch, that is less than 60 bucks a bottle, the overall taste is quite good. It is not the best Scotch I've ever tasted, but for a budget 18 year Single Malt, it is definitely worth the money. I'd buy it again.

EvilTw1n

The news drives me to drink (often), so I bought a six of Leffe Brune, as it was the only brown ale at the closest beer store to me (I ain't walking far on a 95-degree day).

I gotta say...this is a weird beer, man. Apparently it's a Dubbel, but not strictly speaking, as it's an "Abbey" beer that isn't actually brewed in an abbey.

It's a brown ale, so it has that bit of a biscuit-y bite to it. But it's also got a ton of malty chocolate and caramel to it. But there's also this initial non-hoppy bitterness, and the carbonation is damn near Coke/Pepsi-like. It has very little aftertaste, too; you read about a "dry finish" often, but this one really has it - you get some of the viscosity of the beer left over in your mouth, but not the taste, really. All of that together reads horribly. It sounds terrible...but let me tell you, it's not. It works. Weirdly so, but it works. You only get 11.2 ounces instead of 12, but you get 6.5% ABV, so it's a fair trade.

This might be a new stand-by, honestly. I'm impressed.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The news drives me to drink (often), so I bought a six of Leffe Brune, as it was the only brown ale at the closest beer store to me (I ain't walking far on a 95-degree day).

I gotta say...this is a weird beer, man. Apparently it's a Dubbel, but not strictly speaking, as it's an "Abbey" beer that isn't actually brewed in an abbey.

It's a brown ale, so it has that bit of a biscuit-y bite to it. But it's also got a ton of malty chocolate and caramel to it. But there's also this initial non-hoppy bitterness, and the carbonation is damn near Coke/Pepsi-like. It has very little aftertaste, too; you read about a "dry finish" often, but this one really has it - you get some of the viscosity of the beer left over in your mouth, but not the taste, really. All of that together reads horribly. It sounds terrible...but let me tell you, it's not. It works. Weirdly so, but it works. You only get 11.2 ounces instead of 12, but you get 6.5% ABV, so it's a fair trade.

This might be a new stand-by, honestly. I'm impressed.
That sounds good to me. I miss all the amazing beer you introduced me to in Maryland.

Shoulder

I completely forgot to post this. This is the entire haul from our modified Kentucky Bourbon Trail my GF and I did a couple weeks ago. I was unable to meet @mattavelle1 in his home turf due to scheduling conflicts, but nonetheless, he lives in the mecca of liquid gold. I know you no longer drink, Matt, and I have to commend you for that considering how many different bourbon distilleries exist.

And yes, that is two bottles of Blanton's. One for me, and one for my GF, and it is still our favorite bourbon.

Attachments

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I completely forgot to post this. This is the entire haul from our modified Kentucky Bourbon Trail my GF and I did a couple weeks ago. I was unable to meet @mattavelle1 in his home turf due to scheduling conflicts, but nonetheless, he lives in the mecca of liquid gold. I know you no longer drink, Matt, and I have to commend you for that considering how many different bourbon distilleries exist.

And yes, that is two bottles of Blanton's. One for me, and one for my GF, and it is still our favorite bourbon.
Blantons is amazing!

EvilTw1n

Years ago, I got a (probably) $20 glass of scotch. 18-20 year old single malt, the name of which I forgot, because it was terrible. Medicinal as fuck. I've pretty much stayed with Johnnie Walker Black as my standby since.

But as a gift-to-me for paying off my car, I decided to buy a celebratory bottle of something good. Dewar's has a new 15-year old scotch out that is reasonably priced ($40-$45), so I gave it a shot.

Damn, it's good. It has all of those tasting notes you read about in really-old scotch, but none of it is overpowering. It's a blend, but it gives Glenmorangie a run for it's money in this price range. Seriously. Highly recommended.