Booze Enthusiast

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The only Rogue I've had is the Chocolate Stout, and it was pretty tasty. I know that they generally make excellent beer, but I've never made the effort to try them, for some reason.
By the way, I forgot to mention back when I did this: I bought a bunch of Hefeweizens from different brands and in different varieties. I pretended to do a "study" on delicious beer.
Bière Étude no. 1:

Kristall Weissbier: I would basically call this a super-refreshing hefeweizen. It's a bit of what you'd expect of a hefeweizen in its taste -- hints of citrus and bananas -- but with more carbonation. It's probably the best non-dunkel hefeweizen I've ever had. Perfect for hot summer afternoons by the beach, smugly reading some pretentious book.

Hefe Weissbier: A regular but well-crafted Weissbier. When you get tired of only-decent hefeweizens from Sierra Nevada and such, you can only come back to Hacker-Pschorr, Franziskaner, and this Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier.

Hefe Weissbier Dunkel: Right alongside Franziskaner Dunkel, this is among the best beer I have ever tasted. I don't know what to say that would do it justice, but know that if I could only recommend one beer to any person, it would be either this or Franziskaner Dunkel.

Korbinian: A very malty, doppelbock hefeweizen. I would recommend this one to Mike D., who seems to like his malts more than I. I did really like it when I tasted it, even if I'm not so good with doppelbocks.

I tried several more than these, but I don't remember all the names, as it was a very blurry night. You pretty much can't go wrong at all with Weihenstephaner, anyway, so these are good enough. I did also attempt a Bière Étude no. 2, this time with Belgian wheat beers, or wit biers, but I ended up not liking most of them, and then some weren't even wit biers (a mistake I made), so never mind that.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
so after 3 liquor stores, i couldn't find the weihenstephaner dunkel, but i did score one of these:

what a great example of the style. i've had a number of dunkels before, and i was never a fan because they've always had a kind of staleness to them, but this one really balanced the flavors right. and talk about smooth... the maltiness and creamy texture was fucking bomb. at around $3.00/bottle, i'll definitely be picking this one up again. while it's a bit too heavy to be a good summer beer IMO, the heavy yeast and wheat flavors will make for a nice brew when it cools down in the fall. nice find for sure.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Glad you liked it. The Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier Dunkel is similar. I am motivated to find more like it, as I love the style.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Have tried a few different brews as of late.

-Yuengling Traditional Lager: Not bad. Not as good as Boston Lager, but better than cheap ass brews (although it's pretty affordable itself).

-Sam Adams Boston Ale: Damn good. Somewhere between a red ale, a brown ale and a lager.

-Sam Adams Cream Stout: Best dessert beer I've yet had. Amazing. Like licking the face of God.

-Brooklyn Lager: More...interesting than spectacular, but not bad.

-Brooklyn Dry Stout: A super premium Guinness clone. Out-Guinnesses Guinness. Fantastic stuff. Drinking one now.

-Sierra Nevada Tumbler: Fantastic brown ale. A ton of flavors all really tightly packed together.

-Cerveza Negra Modelo: Surprisingly alright.

Also found this beer. But as it was $10 per bottle, passed it up.

EvilTw1n

[Should mention that I did buy the Saranac Pumpkin Ale in the background. Not for me, but for a buddy of mine. I did get to taste it, though, and it wasn't bad. I usually hate anything that tastes remotely pumpkin-y.]

EvilTw1n

That would be Brooklyn Brewery.
http://brooklynbrewery.com/

Apparently the Dry Irish Stout is a seasonal. Their site says it's only available from January until March, so maybe I just got an old run of it. Still very good, and well worth seeking out. Their lager is pretty easy to find, it seems. I tried some with lunch on Friday, and I'm slowly coming around to it. It's a bit more fresh than other lagers, more summer-y.

Next, I need to find their brown ale.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
a lot of stouts tend to age very well, so i'm not surprised it was still good. their website says they distribute to chicago, so i'll keep an eye out for it next time i'm at the store.
i know you said you don't really like the pumpkin beers, but if you want to try a good one to be sure, southern tier makes a phenomenal pumpkin ale. it tastes like pumpkin pie - you can really taste the graham cracker and brown sugar from the crust, and they use real pumpkin puree and pie spices in their blend. i love it every year.

EvilTw1n

^
Yeah, me and pumpkins don't get along too well. :p I'm one of the only people I know who loves fall, but really doesn't care for pumpkin pie.

That aside, 'tis the season for Oktoberfest. I'm trying to drink a bit less ('cause I've been drinking waaaaaaay too much lately), but I've at least gotta give Sam Adams' style of this a shot. Yuengling has a new cheap one, too (that I might get for a heavy night of DWI-ing in NFS).

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
yeah i just peeked into the nfs thread and saw you guys are actually racing online instead of just trying to beat each others times. i may get in on that, it's been too long since i fired up the wii u and i definitely haven't got my $60 out of that game yet. so fuck it i'll catch a dui with ya, we'll go to the drunk tank together haha

EvilTw1n

Oh, it's not just NFS. If it's online, alcohol can be involved.

[That six pack died a noble death, I tell you.]

But yeah, we kinda COD-ed ourselves out, so we're trying out NFS. And we are all really pretty new to it. I doubt that we've put in more than about 10 hours total with NFS online, so it's all pretty equal. The offline/speedwall mode had us all addicted for awhile, but it's a whole different world online: no turning off traffic, no controlling the time of day, no playing one race over-and-over to memorize it and put in a good lap time. Once you get two or three drinks deep, though, winning becomes less and less important.

EvilTw1n

lmao, yeah.

I tried playing without touching the co-driver controls, too, but then I found out that Silent Bob was getting his ridiculous times with the traffic turned off. I think pretty much everyone turned it off after that (or else no one would have any shot at the top of the speedwalls). TBH, it's way better that way. The speedwall times with traffic turned on basically come down to "yeah, I got a great time because I got lucky and didn't have a cube van spontaneously appear around a corner." Turning off the traffic takes the luck equation waaaaaaay down in NFS.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
so back to beer, i picked this up tonight. the can was too cool to pass up haha.

it's actaully really good. it's a nice little session IPA. really bright flavor without going too heavy on the hops. it's sold in 4 packs, and i think i'm going to keep one full just because it looks cool haha.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Dat can!!

Also ima have to get somewhere were I can try a lot of these beers. It seems y'all walk into the nearest quikie mart and pick these up. (I'm sure that's not true but y'all are all time coming in with cool beers I've never even seen so it looks to me y'all live in places that have bad ass beers in abundance lol).

So ima have to find me a place that sells these cold drinks so I can try some.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Dat can!!

Also ima have to get somewhere were I can try a lot of these beers. It seems y'all walk into the nearest quikie mart and pick these up. (I'm sure that's not true but y'all are all time coming in with cool beers I've never even seen so it looks to me y'all live in places that have bad ass beers in abundance lol).

So ima have to find me a place that sells these cold drinks so I can try some.
if you've got any big box liquor stores like a binny's or a teddy's by you, they should have most of this stuff. even a lot of supermarkets are starting to sell craft brews these days.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
My nearest place like that is 25 minutes (which is no biggie).

We got a Chucks, Shinnanigans, and the ever epic Liquor Barn. Which is literally one if the biggest barns you ever seen stocked in to end.

It's nice to have this thread tho cause I'll stop there sometime and check thru this thread and buy accordingly lol.

EvilTw1n

yeah i don't have a wii u mic yet, but i'll get one when i start playing online.
Ah, with NFS, you don't need one. You can use the Gamepad mic. Goodtwin/mjbd uses that method. He plugs in regular head phones, and then uses the Gamepad mic. Works surprisingly well.

And if I were an IPA guy, I would totally go for that beer. That's freaking golden. Maybe I'll try another batch of IPAs sometime. I really didn't like a lot of lagers at first, but even that Brooklyn lager is something I've gained an appreciation for.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
it's... so beautiful. already said how i feel about this beer in an earlier post, and they knocked it out the park again this year. one of my favorite seasonal brews to come out every year. it's a must try.

EvilTw1n

Last night, I had my first Oktoberfest beer(s). The microbrewery downtown here - Brewer's Alley - had theirs up, and it's absolutely amazing. The rest of their beers are kinda meh (you get the flavor profile up front, but then it's pretty much gone for every ensuing sip), but they knocked this one completely out of the effing park. Made me want to try another beer in the style, so I bought some Shiner Oktoberfest and watched some drunken Ghost Adventures with my friends down the street. The Shiner is good, but not in league with what Brewer's made.

...and now I realize that I really probably shouldn't have done all of that drinking on a Tuesday night.

That picture is truly art, buddha. Bravo, good sir.

We should all take more pictures like this and make a gallery. Beers and games.

EvilTw1n

We should make it a feature on the site. Brews and fun.

[I just got back from lunch. ...yeah, those two Shiners are gone now. I will say definitively that I prefer Brewer's Oktoberfest. Shiner has too much of an acidity and coppery taste upfront. Maybe that's proper for the style, but I prefer the maltier, more caramel-ish flavor of Brewer's. Need to try Yuengling and Sam Adams next, before all the Oktoberfests are gone.]

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
shiner bock isn't half bad, but i'm not huge on their other brews. i haven't tried their oktoberfest though. sam adams oktoberfest is definitely good stuff, especially if you like their boston lager. it's got a similar taste, but not as bitter. great lakes makes an awsome oktoberfest brew if you can find it. i'm not sure how widely they're distributed. they're out of wisconsin or michgan i think.

EvilTw1n

So, now that the air is turning cold, it's time to bring back aqua vitae / uisce beatha.

Rye whiskey has been making a comeback, and to me, it's the ultimate cold-weather whiskey. It just tastes like fall and winter to me. If you can find it, I highly recommend giving this a shot:

Try it without ice. "But it's a 100-proof rye!" Yes, I know. But trust me, it just works. It isn't as "punch you in the face with the taste of biting a penny" copper-y as other, more brittle-tasting ryes. It's just...bread-y. If you put it on ice, all of the spiciness comes out, if that's your thing. But I prefer it neat.

More on rye here.

EvilTw1n

Tried two more Oktoberfests...

Saranac's is decent; better than Shiner, IMO. Would make a great all-night session beer.

Sam Adams has finally disappointed me. One big caveat - I only drank this one from the bottle, not a glass. But it was just a great big mess of nothing. I'm trying to figure out how to describe the taste, but as close as I can get is that there was a sort of cold-coffee-with-creamer sourness, and then some really muted apple cider-y flavor. Nothing at all like I expected. No caramel, no spice to balance it out. But I've had a few drinks that require a glass, and maybe this is one of them.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
too bad you didn't like it. it's not my favorite oktoberfest, but a lot of the bars carry it on tap around this time of year and i've always enjoyed it. like any seasonal it's a bit different every year though, so maybe they had a bad batch.
oh, and if you're paying the extra $$ for premium beers, always use a glass! the glass let's you smell the beer, whether you mean to or not, and really enhances the flavor. taste is strongly related to smell, which is why a lot of craft breweries will even dictate what type of glass each of their brews is meant to be drunk from. the only beers that should be drunk from the can/bottle are miller/coors/budweiser and the like haha.
i've got a shit load of glassware for this purpose - really a different type of glass for every style of brew.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
licher? i barely know her...
not bad, not incredible. it's a solid oktoberfest. it was like 3 bucks for a 22 oz, so i'd say it's worth a try.

on antoher note, i picked up a 6 pack of the sam adams oktoberfest this weekend and i have to say it wasn't nearly as good as i remember it. either they're having an off year, or i just don't enjoy it like i used to.

EvilTw1n

I dunno what it is with the Sam Adams' Octoberfest I had, but it just seems really...copper-y upfront to me. Maybe "copper-y" is the wrong word, but it's something akin to it.

Sadly, the Yuengling Oktoberfest I just bought is the same way. It isn't as harsh at first, but after it cools down a touch, it's pretty much a dead-ringer for Sam Adams (slightly less body, though).

And to varying degrees, it's there in other Oktoberfest brews. Maybe what I got originally at Brewer's Alley was an outlier amongst the style? Beats me. I've seen "caramel" always listed with Oktoberfests, and Brewer's has that. The others, not so much. Maybe that's what the "copper" taste is; maybe there's a few batches out there that play up the sweetness too much upfront. Beats me.

[After I kill off the Yuengling, I think I'm gonna be done with beer for awhile. I'm drinking way too much lately, and my waistline is showing it.]

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
coppery is the right word for it. that's how i'd describe it too.
i got the licher, weihenstephaner oktoberfestbier, and left hand oktoberfest. the imports were ok, but the left hand is awesome. it's got a lot more flavor than the german beers. the bottle is pretty cool too haha.

EvilTw1n

So apparently this is pretty good....

Not far from Taylor's brick and mortar shop in the Mission District is Alameda, home to St. George Spirits, "America's Original Craft Distillery." Sure, the title is self awarded, but they've been at it for so long, and at such a high level, we're gonna go ahead and give it to them, sans fact check. And their single malt is apparently the stuff that inspired Master Distiller Lance Winters to fire up his still in the first place. Certainly it's outstanding malt whiskey — and absolutely unlike anything else on the market. Distilled from beer and aged in different types of wood (French oak and Port pipes playing important supporting roles), this soft, sweet, heady whiskey has an almost Gewürztraminer-like nose, and a habit forming palate full of butterscotch, cocoa, and tropical fruit. Every batch (or lot) is a bit different; are all stunners, and all are hard to find. Today's market is crowded with craft spirits. Few are as delicious as they are interesting. And none have figured out how to make a single malt that rivals the Scots. St. George manages both.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-f...ylor-stitch-sweatshirt-st-george-whiskey-1013

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I had the Sam Adams oktoberfest just the other day, actually. I thought it was pretty good, at least it met my expectations. I had more trouble with the Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale, but still thought it was interesting.
Last Saturday I went to Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg, TX, about 90 miles from Austin. Everything was expensive as hell, including the great german beer ($6 for what amounted to a bottle of beer!), but it sure was delicious. I had plenty of oktoberfests, including Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest, Dunkel Weisse, Paulaner Oktoberfest, Wiesn Bier, Weihenstephaner Dunkel, among others, all draft beers. They were all great, some more than others. The Paulaner Wiesn Bier was outstanding, but we were admittedly drunk.

EvilTw1n

Alright, I drank a big cup of iced coffee waaaaaaaay too late today, so I decided I'd better get a six pack to bring me back down.

Found some Brooklyn brown ale, and it's...weird. Not a "bad" weird, mind you. Just not at all what I was expecting. Brooklyn Brewery usually aims for a style, and just absolutely nails it (whereas a brewer like Flying Dog basically takes the piss out of each style and nearly makes a parody of it, or where other American brewers slightly water down some styles to appeal to a really wide audience). So when I think of a brown ale, I think of a sort of nuttiness and biscuit-y flavor; lots of malt. Maybe that's the more "English" style. This does not have that AT ALL. It's like a slightly lighter, milder, hoppier stout. Lots of chocolate and coffee.

Damn good, too. Highly recommended.

[I also had some Flying Dog Dogtoberfest last week at a bar. And...surprisingly, it was really nice. Not obnoxious in the slightest. Probably the second-best Oktoberfest brew I've had this year.]

EvilTw1n

^
Cool! If you get a chance, I hope you try out Brooklyn's dry stout. That thing is freakin' textbook.

I foolishly went out with a buddy of mine last night; whenever we drink together, it always ends badly for both of us. He tends to drink a lot around me, and because I'm competitive, I feel the need to try to match him drink-for-drink (although he outweighs me by about 70 pounds). So my evening went like this:

-1 Brooklyn brown ale with dinner
-4 Smithwick's in a row
-1 house whiskey
-1 Fireball
-1 more house whiskey

I was managing it OK until I got home...because I live on the third floor, and stairs are the enemy of the common drunk. I tripped going up the top stair and fell in front of my apartment, laughing.

So anyway, I never understood why people pronounced Smithwick's as "Smitticks." After my third, I understood. That's just how you order it. "I'll have anotha Smitticks, please." That's just how it sounds after you've had a few. Good beer, btw. It's supposed to be an Irish red, but it's got the creaminess of a Guinness, and the biscuit-y bite of an English brown ale.

Also, I noticed tonight just how different a beer drunk is from a whiskey drunk. Beer just makes you fuzzy. Whiskey is a much sharper drunk; you're acutely aware of just how impaired you are.

...I really need to not have more nights like that. I was never a drinker or partier in high school or college, so I'm semi-making up for it now. But hell, I've gotta be too old for this. :p

EvilTw1n

True, but there's drunk, and then there's "trip on the last step to your apartment and lay on the floor for 20 minutes because you're seriously considering sleeping there"-drunk. I was hungover most of the next day, which never happens to me.

I probably do need to get another six pack soon. Playing COD is just better with a beer.