Booze Enthusiast

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So apparently there's just a horrible batch of Sam Adams Octoberfest out there. Because I had some last night on-tap at Uno's, and it was freaking amazing. Nothing at all like the 6-pack I bought a few weeks ago.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
So apparently there's just a horrible batch of Sam Adams Octoberfest out there. Because I had some last night on-tap at Uno's, and it was freaking amazing. Nothing at all like the 6-pack I bought a few weeks ago.
yeah i got a shitty six pack a month or so ago after liking it at bars on tap for the last few years. my friend brought over a 12 pack last weekend though and it was pretty damn good. so i guess SA needs to work on their quality control haha.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I had a Sam Adams Octoberfest just two nights ago and I really liked it (again). This one was from tap, though.
On that note, Leinenkugel might be known for their fruity summer shandies, but their take on Oktoberfest is actually great. It's quite like Paulaner's Oktoberfest, but less bitter, and slightly less malty, and with a slight but very interesting hint of some kind of berries. Very drinkable without feeling watered down or overly fruity.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I forgot to mention this other beer that I tried a few times during the past month: Thirsty Goat. It's made somewhere in Texas.

I don't really remember what it tastes like, but I remember liking it every time I tried it. It's not bock or bitter or anything heavy, hell in fact it's light for an ale, yet with only the slightest hint of citrus. That's as far as I remember about it.

EvilTw1n

^
Reminds me of Porkslap.

(Only sipped that. It was OK.)

Went to the store tonight and thought I'd buy one final Oktoberfest, but they were pretty well gone. Bought some Anchor Porter instead.

It's...good, but better when you think about it. I mean, the taste won't bowl you over; there are porters and stouts out there that have way more chocolate, coffee, toffee and/or dark berry flavors. This one is really well balanced, though, and has ZERO bitterness (and barely any hint of that burnt-ness you get with lots of dark beers). It's smooth without that Guinness-y nitrogen trick.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
that nitro tab is my favorite thing about guiness though. i was pissed the first time i bought a sixer of bottles and saw they had taken it out. have you ever had another beer with nitro in it? i'd like to try it out with other styles. a nitro red ale could be amazing. :-?

EvilTw1n

^
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, you want a Kilkenny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilkenny_(beer)

They call it a "cream ale," but that's only because it's so creamy because of the nitro (I'm pretty sure it's just a nitrogenated Smithwick's). Otherwise, it'd probably just be another Irish red. The local Irish pub down here always has it on tap. It's pretty damn good.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
insert south park joke here

seriously though, good looking out! i never heard of this, but now i need it haha. i'm buying tommorrow for sure, gotta try it.

EvilTw1n

So I found a beer store last night that lets you pick and choose which beers to buy - you get to make your own custom 6-pack. I bought some Abita (Turbo Dog and Amber), Anchor (Bock) and some one-off Newcastles (one is called Founder's Ale, and I forget what the other is, but it's a summer blonde ale).

Turbo Dog is pretty darn good. It's like the halfway point between Brooklyn's brown ale (which has stout characteristics) and a regular Newcastle brown ale. The Anchor bock was OK, a little cloying.

I'll drink the Newcastles on the next COD night. :p

EvilTw1n

WTH? Am I the only one drinking too much anymore? ~O)

So last night while playing COD I cracked into the Newcastles. And...not bad. The summer ale is called Bombshell, and I really didn't like it at first. But it grew on me. It's sweeter and lighter than the usual brown ale, but finishes with the same biscuit-y malt, which I love. Pretty good.

Founder's Ale, OTOH...not so much. It doesn't really taste like anything. There's a hint of the regular Newcastle finish, but other than that? It's absolutely neutral. The vodka of ales. If you wanted to pound a few, it would be perfect. But otherwise, stick with the standard brown ale (or Bombshell...if they ever make it again).

Bought some more Sam Adams Boston Ale last night. For a standard go-to, I'm not sure if I've found anything to top it.

Being a Boston guy I've had a bunch of Sam Adams but lately I find myself preferring Harpoon. Pretty Things and Clown Shoes are a couple more good Boston-area breweries. You guys hit the nail on the head with the Pumking, that's my favorite pumpkin beer too.

For a quick list I'd recommend:

Pretty Things: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18371
Clown Shoes: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22951
Allagash: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4
Maine Beer Company: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20681

These should all be available if you ever find yourself in the Boston area as long as you look hard enough, except for maybe the Maine Beer Company stuff, that's pretty rare.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I guess the only highlight of beer I've had any time recently was on my trip to Mexico. I went to a 7/11 and found this craft beer from Monterrey made with honey.

It's the one on the right, it's a Cucapa Honey Amber Ale or something like that. It wasn't too great or anything, but it's worth mentioning because I'd never had a Mexican craft brew before, and this one was pretty good.
But, uneager to break any stereotypes, the label is about as snobby as Monterrey people can get; "liquid art" and "distinguished in the area for being superior" is what it says the thing is, on the label. I wouldn't back those claims.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
been sticking to light beers lately. i had a full summer of awesome craft brews, but by the end they were starting to show haha. can't do the 300-400 calories per bottle anymore. goodbye early 20's...

EvilTw1n

Had some Smutty Nose brown last week. Pretty darn good. It seems like the more American brown ales I have, the more I notice their stout characteristics. More chocolate than I was anticipating. English brown ales tend to have that sort of nutty, biscuit-y flavor (Newcastle)

I've cut down on my drinking because my last hangover was just miserable. I didn't even drink that much. I had 3 beers (one very high ABV, so call it 4) in about a 90-minute span, fell asleep loopy, and woke up with a badass of a headache. Guess I was more dehydrated than I knew.

Plus, I can't hold onto six packs. Spend $9 on some Sam Adams on Tuesday, and it's gone by Thursday. Then I need another sixer for the weekend. 'Tis a vicious circle that turns your gut into a flabby circle. Gotta work on drinking one, and one only.

EvilTw1n

I watched Brew Dogs on the Esquire network over Christmas (I only have Netflix, but the fam still has their dish). Really interesting stuff, if you're interested in the brewing process and getting a bit of local color from whence these brews emerge. I love how those guys are, of course, hyping up their own brand, but there's this sort of brotherhood of craft brewers. They all really do seem to want the best for each other.

Now if I could just find some 5am Saint around here...

EvilTw1n

Damnit, Brew Dogs made me want some beer, so I got some.

I've been apartment sitting for my buddy down the street, and he left me a six-pack of DC Brau pale ale. I've never really liked pale ales and IPAs (hops all alone by themselves, with nothing else going on, are a shitty flavor), but I thought I'd give one a shot. Decent. Drinkable, at least.

So then I thought "eh, screw it, I'm gonna buy a six pack of some good brew." So I bought some Laguinta's Brown Shugga. And it's shit.

Utter.

Shit.

The packaging talks about it being some brew gone wrong, but oh so right. It's the only seasonal the store had in hand, so I thought it must be their fall/winter seasonal ale. I get that a barley wine beer is supposed to be strong (it's potent; 9.99% ABV). That doesn't bother me. It doesn't taste like a seasonal ale - there's no spice going on, no earthiness. It's hoppier than some of the fucking double IPAs I've had, making it really bitter, but then they tried to balance it by making the rest of the beer sickly sweet. It's an abortion of a brew. I award you no points, Lagunitas, and may God have mercy on your souls.

This is the real problem craft brews and beer snobs have when they try to sell people on craft beer. The only people who like disgustingly hoppy beers are beer snobs. The rest of us like balance.

I haven't poured a beer out in months. I may have to with this. It's that bad.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I love hops. My favorite beer is a dipa. But I'm the furthest thing from a beer snob... I was drinking icehouse last weekend lol.

I love craft beers to death, but at the end of the day I'm in it to catch a buzz. Otherwise I drink water pretty exclusively.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
It's just an acquired taste man. I can pick out different flavors in hops that make me prefer one ipa over another pretty easily. They're just as diverse and appreciable as any other style, but they are probably the most challenging segment of craft beers to sink into. I always drank pale ales, lagers and pilsners before getting into craft beers though, so my tastes were probably already headed in that direction.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Hops are also some of the least fun part of drinking beer for me. I don't mind them too much, but I know when I have something that is just too hoppy, I rather not finish it.
Though there are other occasions. This one time I was at the Milwaukee Brewing Co. for a draft tour or whatever, and I went to get some beer with the barman. I couldn't hear what he asked me after I asked for the beer I wanted, because the place was full of people and it was really loud, but I figured it out once he sprinkled some hops on my beer like it was cinnamon flakes or something. I ended up not minding it much, so maybe I don't dislike hops as much as I think I do. But I think I do.

EvilTw1n

It's just an acquired taste man. I can pick out different flavors in hops that make me prefer one ipa over another pretty easily.

I could tell these hops were either different or in far greater quantity than say, Hop Devil or DC Brau's Public Pale. I thought after drinking the DC Brau last night that I might finally be coming around to hops a bit. Nope. Actually had to pour out the beer. Now I have five bottles left of something I can't drink. Extraordinarily hoppy beers are going to be like medicinal old scotch for me; it's a taste I can't seem to acquire.

But then again, I love porters and stouts. :p

The guys on Brew Dogs had talked about really hoppy beers on their show, and how some beer virgins would like it if they tried it. My buddy who got me into drinking beer last year said the same thing. But I've had a lot of beer at this point, and I'm just not feeling it. Same thing with hefeweizens that taste like a bitter banana.

Hops are also some of the least fun part of drinking beer for me. I don't mind them too much, but I know when I have something that is just too hoppy, I rather not finish it.

Though there are other occasions. This one time I was at the Milwaukee Brewing Co. for a draft tour or whatever, and I went to get some beer with the barman. I couldn't hear what he asked me after I asked for the beer I wanted, because the place was full of people and it was really loud, but I figured it out once he sprinkled some hops on my beer like it was cinnamon flakes or something. I ended up not minding it much, so maybe I don't dislike hops as much as I think I do. But I think I do.
Sprinkling the hops after the beer is already brewed probably just gives it a touch more hoppiness without changing the character of the beer. Depending on the beer, I could be down for that. It's just the "I'm going to bukakke you with hops"-thing that I can't do. That Lagunitas was so nasty I'm going to have to go buy another sixer for this weekend.

EvilTw1n

Well, I found what has to be the last sixer of Oktoberfest in my town. It's from Brooklyn Brewery, and was marked down to $8, so I had to buy it. And holy crap, it's phenomenal. It's all bready, malty, caramel goodness. Thicker than some of the others I tried this year. Right up there with the one I had at the local brewer a few months ago (and the non-bottle, on-tap Sam Adams I had). Legit.

I think Brooklyn is now up there with Sam Adams as my favorite brewer. They just flat-out nail
whatever style they go for - not going for outrageous ABV or hoppiness, but not making it watered down, either.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I doubt I'll get to see any Brooklyn Brewery stuff in South Texas, but I'll look for it. Maybe this New Year's if I go to a Spec's in Austin, I might find some there.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
As a native Texan and frequent traveler to Houston I have really enjoyed Saint Arnolds beers. I am currently drinking some Christmas Ale and will probably grab a Lawnmower beer in just a little bit. I also enjoy most monk created beers preferably in the tripel or quad variety. Mostly I prefer the maltier, dark, stout tastes to hoppy flavors (anti-IPA).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
As a native Texan and frequent traveler to Houston I have really enjoyed Saint Arnolds beers. I am currently drinking some Christmas Ale and will probably grab a Lawnmower beer in just a little bit. I also enjoy most monk created beers preferably in the tripel or quad variety. Mostly I prefer the maltier, dark, stout tastes to hoppy flavors (anti-IPA).
I've only tried the Lawnmower and Weedwacker ones, if I recall, but I remember liking them. I'm feeling like having a St Arnold's session now, maybe this week I'll look for a variety pack or something.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I have some Bishops Barrel sitting in the fridge that I'm opening after a year. Apparently it changes flavor as it ages but was about 12 bucks a bottle due to the limited run. Luckily I got free bottles for knowing the distributer down here around Beaumont, TX.
Lawnmower and Weedwacker are excellent hot day drinking beers!
Oh, as far as other drinking stuff. If you like Jameson then you need to try Michael Collins Single Malt Irish Whiskey. That stuff is AMAZING! I made the mistake of bringing it to my friend's house one night...it was gone within an hour. It is a bit pricey at 40 a bottle but so worth it.

EvilTw1n

Mostly I prefer the maltier, dark, stout tastes to hoppy flavors (anti-IPA).

You're gonna fit right in. :D

Oh, as far as other drinking stuff. If you like Jameson then you need to try Michael Collins Single Malt Irish Whiskey. That stuff is AMAZING! I made the mistake of bringing it to my friend's house one night...it was gone within an hour. It is a bit pricey at 40 a bottle but so worth it.
I've always wanted to try that, but haven't bought a bottle because my liquor cabinet is pretty well stocked. This past fall, I was eating at Uno's with some friends, and it was on the spirits menu, so I ordered a glass.

They brought me a Tom Collins instead. :|

Beer is teh wr0st. And larger. However, I enjoy ciders, cocktails and mixed spirits. I'm not a knowledgeable drinker, but I do know what I like.
Favourite ciders include: Magners and Bulmers (Preferably Pear), Koppaburg (My favourite being Winter fruits flavour) and Strongbow (Which I only really like from draught and not from a can). WKD is real nice too, I think it's a cider, but it's also viewed as a girls drink so no one really has it lol.
With spirits unless I'm having them in shots then I have them mixed with Coke or Lemonade. So Vodka, and Jack Daniels. These are the only mixed spirits I've had though. I really enjoy Jagermeister with Red Bull (as it usually is in bars, clubs, etc), these are among the most delicious of shots. I also remember a friend of mine telling me to get a Double Vodka and Kick once in a club, she said it was a good one and it certainly was! Kick is just some energy drink FYI.
I also very much enjoy cocktails very much, however I'm guessing the flavour names aren't globally known lol. Then again, I really don't know. Some I like are (inb4girlynames) Woo Woos (I think this is lemon, lime, orange, vodka and something else), Purple Rain (Tastes like those love hearts sweets and is reeeeeaaaaal good) and some others I've forgotten about.
But yeah, that's all I got to say off the top of my head!

"Vegas BombThe best fuckin' shot alive.

Pour redbull into a medium size glass, then drop a double shot glass in the middle containing 1 oz. Crown and 1 oz. peach schnapps, then chug that shit.Let's hit up the bar for some vegas bombs and fist pumping! Beat up the beat!"
Sounds nice haha I'll have to remember this, I'm supposed to be drinking wednesday night actually. I'll have to see if it's known across this side of the pond lol.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
right on man. some of my other favorite mixed drinks include gin and tonic (with a wedge of lime), 7&7, jameson and redbull (gotta be sugar free), and tequila sunrise. they're all pretty tasty and easy to drink. :)>-
edit: oh, and you gotta try an irish car bomb as well. they're not for everybody, but i think they're awesome.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Should we merge this with the beer thread? I suggest it because I think this way both scotch and beer will have a better chance to remain relevant in the front page. It's going to make the previous posts look a little weird (scattered conversations), but I think it's good in the long run.
Thoughts?

Menashe

My friend took me to a bar that had it on tap a few weeks ago. He warned me that once I had it I may ruin all other beers for myself. He was right. We were at a bar tonight watching the Leafs game and of course, the only thing I had to say about the beer was, yeah this is ok, but it's no Innis & Gunn. It raised the bar for me.

EvilTw1n

Beer is teh wr0st.

I absolutely detested beer until relatively recently. I could always drink whiskey and wine, but I hated beer. Either my tastes evolved, or I was drinking the wrong stuff. Most likely a combination of the two.

Best beer I've tasted, which I've only recently discovered

Hmm, I'm interested. Unfortunately, on the "where to enjoy" section of their web site, I'm coming up empty. :(

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I grew up near the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, so I have a particular fondness for Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. (Fair warning, you have to like Bourbon Whiskey to like this. Definitely has a bourbon taste from being aged in the casks.)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I grew up near the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, so I have a particular fondness for Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. (Fair warning, you have to like Bourbon Whiskey to like this. Definitely has a bourbon taste from being aged in the casks.)
DAMN RIGHT THATS WHATS UP!!'

KY BOY RIGHT HERE ASWELL *high fives SJM*

sjmartin79

DAMN RIGHT THATS WHATS UP!!'

KY BOY RIGHT HERE ASWELL *high fives SJM*
Finally! Someone else sees the light! Here in FL, it is hard to get anyone to appreciate it. *high fives you right back*

sjmartin79

Knob Creek = ^:)^

This. So this. All day long.
(But I will turn to Makers Mark when I don't have Knob Creek around. I'll have to take a pic of my specially bottled Makers Mark with my name on it and gold wax seal instead of red.)