Booze Enthusiast

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I prefer whiskey/bourbon straight, no mixers too. There's some things that just don't work a cocktail and must be appreciated on their own.
Cocktails are for girls. Except gin and tonic. With lime. And I'll do bombs if someone else is buying. I like black and tans as well. Bloody Mary's are pretty good for hangovers. And I'll drink white russians all day. Screwdriver's are pretty tasty in the morning and Irish car bombs are always great. 7&7's are classy too.

But outside of that, cocktails are for girls.

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
Gin and tonic is so manly that most people don't realize how manly it is. People wanted to be drinking tonic, but how it was originally made was pretty vile, so some blokes created gin to not only add alcohol, but to make the tonic more palatable. Instead of fixing the original thing, they just went and made something else to make it better - it doesn't get much more manly than that.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Gin and tonic is so manly that most people don't realize how manly it is. People wanted to be drinking tonic, but how it was originally made was pretty vile, so some blokes created gin to not only add alcohol, but to make the tonic more palatable. Instead of fixing the original thing, they just went and made something else to make it better - it doesn't get much more manly than that.
I once choked out a shark. True story.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Cocktails are for girls. Except for really good cocktails.
Fixed.

Someone has never had a proper Old Fashioned. Or a Brain Duster.

An Old Fashioned is the shit, and that was long before Mad Men was around. We even have a bar/restaurant in downtown Madison called The Old Fashioned. B-)

Tucker

Mad men doesn't make Canadian Club taste any better either. That shits straight awful.
Lol, I can agree with that. I love rye, but fuck CC. Way I hear it, CC was a lot better back in the day too.

Tucker

Eh, I'm not a fan of Crown.

Shitty to hear about impending shortages - time to get tucked in to a somewhat younger blend.

Shoulder

I remember having sherry cask Canadian Club years ago. Was OK. Not Crown Royal, but OK.

Also, if your tastes run for the expensive stuff, get ready for some shortages:
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/great-whiskey-shortage

Damn. As long as I can still dive into some Macallan 12, I'm fine with that.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
^
The big distilleries will be ok; they're better equipped for high demand. Worst comes to worst for them, and they'll just have to ration out their supply a bit, or slightly lower the proof of some things (sorry, Maker's Mark fans).
The regular CR is sort of on the JW Red level for me - ok for a mixer. But I have a bottle of CR Special Reserve that is actually really pleasant.

Back to beer - I just bought some Sierra Nevada Porter. Not bad. More carbonation and a touch more acidic up front than Anchor, but also lighter overall. Not cloying like some dark beers can be. The roasted malt and chocolate isn't overpowering at all; is that a cereal-y note I taste in there, too? Good session brew.

Also @Majorbuddah, I got into some Breckenridge Nitro Vanilla Porter this past weekend. You might really dig it.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
^
The big distilleries will be ok; they're better equipped for high demand. Worst comes to worst for them, and they'll just have to ration out their supply a bit, or slightly lower the proof of some things (sorry, Maker's Mark fans).
The regular CR is sort of on the JW Red level for me - ok for a mixer. But I have a bottle of CR Special Reserve that is actually really pleasant.

Back to beer - I just bought some Sierra Nevada Porter. Not bad. More carbonation and a touch more acidic up front than Anchor, but also lighter overall. Not cloying like some dark beers can be. The roasted malt and chocolate isn't overpowering at all; is that a cereal-y note I taste in there, too? Good session brew.

Also @Majorbuddah, I got into some Breckenridge Nitro Vanilla Porter this past weekend. You might really dig it.
i think i was talking ITT about how i had it on tap about a month ago now. it was AWESOME. i wouldn't want more than one or two because of how rich it is, but man is it great. very good dessert beer.

EvilTw1n

^
I had mentioned the regular vanilla porter a few replies ago, but holy crap is the nitro version better.

Goodtwin

I prefer whiskey/bourbon straight, no mixers too. There's some things that just don't work a cocktail and must be appreciated on their own.
Cocktails are for girls. Except gin and tonic. With lime. And I'll do bombs if someone else is buying. I like black and tans as well. Bloody Mary's are pretty good for hangovers. And I'll drink white russians all day. Screwdriver's are pretty tasty in the morning and Irish car bombs are always great. 7&7's are classy too.

Nobody ever talks about white russians, but I love them as well. In my early 20's its about all I drank. Been more of a beer drinker lately, but white russians remain one of my favorite drinks for sure.

Shoulder

Nobody ever talks about white russians, but I love them as well. In my early 20's its about all I drank. Been more of a beer drinker lately, but white russians remain one of my favorite drinks for sure.

I liked White Russians even before I first watched The Big Lebowski.
/white russian hipster

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

I liked White Russians even before I first watched The Big Lebowski.
/white russian hipster
I liked white russians before it was dude. Pretty sure I was like 15 haha.

.....that explains a lot of shit......

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
so i don't know if malort is a nationwide thing, or if it's only a chicago booze, but it's fucking disgusting. here's a cool commercial for it.

EvilTw1n

Bumping this before it falls off the page.

Umm...lemme think...last beer I had...

I had some DuClaw toffee-nut brown ale (really good, but strangely similar to their Sweet Baby Jesus Porter), and some Sierra Nevada Porter (solid beer, but I think there are better porters for the money).

Tucker

Just tried a new liqueur recently: Soho Lychee. Holy crap, it tastes like biting into a lychee nut, but with 20% abv.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I picked up two new bottles to try this weekend at a party I'm throwing.
Absolute Tune - which is a mix of champagne and vodka
Jim Beam Honey Bourbon Whiskey

The Jim Beam probably won't remain unopened till the party. Dying to try it.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I picked up two new bottles to try this weekend at a party I'm throwing.
Absolute Tune - which is a mix of champagne and vodka
Jim Beam Honey Bourbon Whiskey

The Jim Beam probably won't remain unopened till the party. Dying to try it.
that jim beam...

it's okay. i've had a lot since my neighbor likes it. here's a pro-tip.

put it in the freezer. that shit's best when it's ICE cold. kinda like jager.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Try one of Kentuckys finest bourbons from the Jim Beam family called Knob Creeks Sjm. It's my favorite bourbon that comes outta this wonderful Bourbon state I call home.

EDIT: Major is right down here we all keep our Bourbon in the freezer. It's so much better

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Try one of Kentuckys finest bourbons from the Jim Beam family called Knob Creeks Sjm. It's my favorite bourbon that comes outta this wonderful Bourbon state I call home.

EDIT: Major is right down here we all keep our Bourbon in the freezer. It's so much better
Matt - I'm a HUGE fan of Knob Creek. That and Makers Mark were two staples at my house when I was in Cinci. Keep both on hand down here too. Knob Creek is harder to find here though.
And thank you both for the tip about Bourbon in the freezer. Will put it in there when I get home! You guys are the best!

EvilTw1n

^
Maker's Mark is one of the only whiskies I buy that I actually run out of. Usually, I buy a fifth of something, and it sticks around for a good, long while. Not Maker's.

I bought some Maui CoCoNut Porter this weekend. Comes in cans of four, like so:

Good, but not worth the price.

The coconut is really mild - just a faint sweetness. But it's nicely creamy, and it's a very smooth porter. Very tasty.

But it's also about $12 for a four-pack. I can get a six-pack of Breckenridge vanilla porter, or DuClaw (their toffee nut brown ale, or chocolate-peanut butter porter) for $10, with more pronounced flavors. Or I could buy two sixers of Yuengling for that much.

[This is also where I go on a mini-rant about beer snobs. It doesn't get much more small/craft brewery than that Maui porter, and although it's good, it's not that much better than beer snobs would have you believe. I saw some message board posts this weekend in which the beer Illuminati said Sierra Nevada doesn't really qualify as "craft" beer anymore. They've said this about Sam Adams for years. Y'know what? For $9, Sam and Sierra make damn good beer.]

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I was talking about that with some friends as well. He was implying that the whole "craft beer" thing is bullshit, and that large brewing companies can make beer that is as good but cheaper, etc.

I agree that you shouldn't disqualify large breweries just for not being "craft", and like you say, Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada still make good beer; but I think there is a real appeal to craft brewery, and that's in the variety, not necessarily in the quality. Craft beer is often more experimental, so you get to try a lot of things you could have never tried from the big boys.

But sticking to craft brewery would be like only playing indie Steam Greenlight games, and missing out on Zelda, Dark Souls, and others.

EvilTw1n

...but I think there is a real appeal to craft brewery, and that's in the variety, not necessarily in the quality.
Oh yeah, that I can agree with. I mean, that's why I went after that Maui beer. Who else is putting coconut in a porter? If it were a little stronger in the coconut, I'd probably change my mind on it.

(I'm drinking the Maui from the can right now - and I think it's better that way.)