Booze Enthusiast

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Try one of Kentuckys finest bourbons from the Jim Beam family called Knob Creeks Sjm. It's my favorite bourbon that comes outta this wonderful Bourbon state I call home.

EDIT: Major is right down here we all keep our Bourbon in the freezer. It's so much better
+1 For Knob Creek. Great stuff, and goes great neat, on the rocks, or with coke. But I'll normally just drink it neat, like most bourbons should be had. ;)

I have not tried bourbon in the freezer though, but maybe I'll give that a shot.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
It's even smoother straight from the freezer. That's why we all keep ours there. Even Early Times (which I do not recommend) is decent from the freezer. Other wise not drinkable.

Shoulder

I have a half bottle left of Booker's, which is 128 proof, so pretty potent stuff for bourbon. Maybe I should put that shit in the freezer and see how it tastes. I bought it about three years ago (not sure on the shelf-life of bourbon after it's been opened).

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
Bookers to me was good (my bottle was 127.4). Not good enough for the 50 buck entry fee. Knob IMO is a much better tasting bourbon and still 100 proof plenty strong.

I tried Bookers based only on the fact that it was a Jim Beam small batch bourbon. And I love almost anything Jim Beam.

Shoulder

Bookers to me was good (my bottle was 127.4). Not good enough for the 50 buck entry fee. Knob IMO is a much better tasting bourbon and still 100 proof plenty strong.

I tried Bookers based only on the fact that it was a Jim Beam small batch bourbon. And I love almost anything Jim Beam.
I too also love small batch bourbons. We're sort of the hipsters of the bourbon world. o_O

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The Stella Artois Cidre gets my approval as well. It's better than other cidres I've had often, like Woodchuck, Ace, and Angry Orchard (but I haven't had Original Sin in a while so I don't know about that one). Unfortunately it's also more expensive around here, even for the 4-pack.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Arise, booze enthusiast.

So I really wanted some Sam Adams cream stout this past weekend, but they're out of season. But they had SA cherry wheat on sale; I had it awhile back, and thought it was OK. Well, this time it's completely different. The last batch I drank had a very crisp cereal note to it; the cherry taste was really subdued. Not this batch. It's really, really, really sweet. Not bad, but not what I had in mind.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Arise, booze enthusiast.

So I really wanted some Sam Adams cream stout this past weekend, but they're out of season. But they had SA cherry wheat on sale; I had it awhile back, and thought it was OK. Well, this time it's completely different. The last batch I drank had a very crisp cereal note to it; the cherry taste was really subdued. Not this batch. It's really, really, really sweet. Not bad, but not what I had in mind.
i'm totally with you on the fact that sam adams is fairly inconsistent from year to year. we talked about this with their oktoberfest. sometimes it's great - sometimes it's shit. they do a pretty good job considering the fact that they're a large scale brewery trying to make craft beer. i think they try hard IMO, and i appreciate that. i just get that feel that passionate people are behind it

their lattitude 48 should be coming around pretty soon. i recommend it.

but then again, i'm the only booze enthusiast that appreciates IPA's..

EvilTw1n

^
I guess it's just the nature of seasonals. For their year-round beers, I've never had a bad Boston Lager or Boston Ale, and they're always extremely consistent. But anything that's available for a limited time? Hit or miss.

Anywho, my sixer for the weekend is this:

[Too lazy to go snap my own pic.]

Ever have a beer that you took one sip of and laughed? I didn't until last night.

There's no way in freaking hell this beer should be any good. I thought DuClaw had gone about as far as the limits of good taste would allow with their chocolate/peanut-butter porter. Dirty Little Freak? It's a coconut-caramel-chocolate brown ale. Yeah. That's a lot going on in one bottle. And I was laughing because it's actually good. Not great, but good.

It's completely crazy, because you can actually pick out each flavor. Unlike that Maui beer from a few weeks ago, the coconut is obvious here; it's the sweetness up front and the finish. The chocolate and caramel are what you get in between. Not poundable, but a good dessert beer.

EvilTw1n

Bought some Guinness Extra Stout tonight.

I'd always wondered what Guinness would taste like without the Nitro finish. Wonder no more. It doesn't have the same smoothness as Draught, of course, and some of the coffee/chocolate taste is missing (at least from the bottle; have to break out a glass soon). But still, it's a very pleasant, very traditional dry Irish stout.

In fact, for a macro brew? It might be the best damn example of any particular beer style I've ever had. It's almost as good as Brooklyn Brewery's stout. (The caveat here is for all of you guys who like Guinness, you may like it best of all with the Nitro. I like both, but a non-Nitro dry Irish stout is a little rougher.)

Shoulder

I'd always wondered what Guinness would taste like without the Nitro finish. Wonder no more. It doesn't have the same smoothness as Draught, of course, and some of the coffee/chocolate taste is missing (at least from the bottle; have to break out a glass soon). But still, it's a very pleasant, very traditional dry Irish stout.

In fact, for a macro brew? It might be the best damn example of any particular beer style I've ever had. It's almost as good as Brooklyn Brewery's stout. (The caveat here is for all of you guys who like Guinness, you may like it best of all with the Nitro. I like both, but a non-Nitro dry Irish stout is a little rougher.)
Nitrogen infused Beer is awesome compared to carbonated Beer. Like you say, it's very smooth and without the fizz, I think it brings out the true flavors without being overpowering. If there's Draught on tap, I'll almost always have that.

EvilTw1n

Nitrogen infused Beer is awesome compared to carbonated Beer. Like you say, it's very smooth and without the fizz, I think it brings out the true flavors without being overpowering. If there's Draught on tap, I'll almost always have that.
It varies with the beer, I think. I had the nitro-finished version of Breckenridge vanilla porter a few weeks back, and that actually removes some of the sweetness. Also made it feel like a denser, heavier beer. It was still good, but I'm still fond of the non-nitro version.

Guinness, otoh, seems to have some flavors released with its nitro. But it also takes away some of the beer's own finish. There's a sort of bite at the end of extra stout that may feel a touch rougher, but it actually irons out the really roasty flavors.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

the cans still have the nitro tab in 'em if you didn't know. they're SO much better than the bottles IMO.

EvilTw1n

If I'm not pouring a beer into a glass to drink, then bottle.

If I am pouring a beer in a glass, a can is fine by me.

I had a shot of tequila last night, it wasn't nice. That's what I get for losing the game we were playing lol. It was bearable but makes for a good punishment drink :p

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I forgot this was booze enthusiast. So OT: I bought a six of No Label Elda M. Milk Stout. No Laber are known around south texas for El Hefeweizen and some Jalapeno beer that I heard isn't bad.

I first had it cold, and wasn't enjoying it even though I was having a lot of fun on the TNE MK8 launch party at the same time, so it wasn't even psychological. It just wasn't appealing. Then I had it warm the next day, and it was a bit better, but still disappointing because I normally like Milk Stouts quite a bit. But I was drinking them from the bottle. For the last one, I decided to pour it on a glass, with a thick head of foam and warm (room temperature, rather), and it felt like I unlocked the flavor. It was great, and I regret drinking the five previous beers in an amateurish way.

At least now I know that Milk Stouts should be served with a thick head of foam (essential), and at room temperature instead of cold.

EvilTw1n

Two things I've discovered this past week:

1.) I pace myself way better drinking when I start with whiskey. With beer, I can down a brew as soon as I start. I have to sip whiskey, though. I bought a glass of $15 Macallan last Friday and made it last for about an hour.

2.) Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale is one of the best, weirdest beers I've ever had. I never like IPAs because it's just hops for the sake of hops. But this has tons of hops up front, but it's backed by an actual beer - a pretty powerful brown ale. Really damn good.

EvilTw1n

brown ale is not an IPA!!!!!

unless it is...
I think that's why they call it "Indian Brown Ale." All the IPAs are "India Pale Ale," so they wanted to ping the reference without trying to actually fit it into the beer category.

Now that I check their web site, they seem to think of it as a sort of hybrid beer - part brown ale, part scotch ale, part IPA. I'd never had a scotch ale before, either.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I think that's why they call it "Indian Brown Ale." All the IPAs are "India Pale Ale," so they wanted to ping the reference without trying to actually fit it into the beer category.

Now that I check their web site, they seem to think of it as a sort of hybrid beer - part brown ale, part scotch ale, part IPA. I'd never had a scotch ale before, either.
man, i hope we get to have a beer one day.

Shoulder

I love me some Scotch Ales. I had specifically this one last week having lunch with my parents:

http://www.greatdanepub.com/beer/[field_date-date]/stone-scone-scotch-ale

They have a nice assorted beers there, and the food's good too. I prefer ales, porters, and stouts, and although I probably favor ales more than any other beer. Lagers are few and far between because the carbonation is simply way too overpowering for a beer, and also because most people who drink lagers don't know shit about beer. If your preferred beer is Miller Lite, Bud Light, or Coors Light, you are a beer wannabe. That's my controversial opinion of the day.

EvilTw1n

man, i hope we get to have a beer one day.
Oh, it'll happen. I gotta get to Buddy Guy's joint one day.
I love me some Scotch Ales. I had specifically this one last week having lunch with my parents:

They have a nice assorted beers there, and the food's good too. I prefer ales, porters, and stouts, and although I probably favor ales more than any other beer. Lagers are few and far between because the carbonation is simply way too overpowering for a beer, and also because most people who drink lagers don't know shit about beer. If your preferred beer is Miller Lite, Bud Light, or Coors Light, you are a beer wannabe. That's my controversial opinion of the day.
Man, now I wanna try more scotch ales. Have to do some research this weekend.

I much prefer darker beers, too, but I can see the appeal of light beers. If you just went out and mowed the lawn in 99-degree weather, then drinking a really heavy beer probably isn't a good idea. That said, I never could get a taste for Bud or Coors (those are actually the beers that made me not want to drink beer before), and I still have some problem drinking pilsners and Kölsch, too.

But I do love the lagers from Sam Adams and Brooklyn Brewery...
I feel like Lagers have gotten their reputation ruined by the myriad Lite Beers They got the people used to drinking. I can't produce a list of good Lagers myself because I never really bothered, but I want to have a go at some of those getting listed here:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/best-lagers-in-2013.95300/
There's lager, and then there's American macro-brewed light beer. I'll order a Boston lager against most other brews out there.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

TIL i am a wannabe

for reals - if you're a daily drinker, it's not gonna be that 300 kcal craft stuff every night. beers are like women - some cheap and easy ones can really hit the spot on a tuesday night. especially if it's hot out.

EvilTw1n

Relevant for us all, I think.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/the-painful-science-of-hangovers/373138/

Q: What about people who claim to have folk cures for hangover, like burnt toast or pickle juice? Do you believe them?
A: Not usually. But the interesting thing is that one of the most effective hangover cures are ones that administer glucose. One of the other mechanisms of the hangover is to do with glucose metabolism and not having enough blood sugar. In Britain one of the most prevalent hangover cures is a big fried breakfast – fried eggs, sausages, baked beans, and all the rest—that’s well-renowned as a hangover cure in Britain, and it probably does work because there are lot of carbohydrates in that meal. And that will restore depleted sugar levels.

Q: On the occasions that you did have a hangover, what did you do?
A: Have a fried breakfast. That works wonders.

My mom would make me bacon and egg sandwiches after parties, so I guess so.

I really dont know what a true hangover feels like. Even after that one time I entirely blacked-out the next day felt normal pretty quick, just had an awful mouth that wouldnt go away and couldnt really walk right for a short bit. I never get that headache bit the media would have me believe I would get.
Although I do make it a point not to overdo that stuff these days, if at all.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I can vouch for the existence of the hangover headache.

Overall, what I've found most success with is just drinking water while drinking booze. Just ask for a glass of water with your beer or drinks and drink it while waiting for the next one, no big deal. Though I hear the hangovers get worse as you get older, so maybe drinking water only helps you up to some point.

What juegs said.

This past new years was the worst I ever felt, had like 4 shots of stuff and 3 ciders and 2 coke and vodkas I think......I woke up and my head......my belly.......I wasn't too bad mind you but that's the worst I've ever been.

I still haven't been completely and utterly smashed though lol. One day.......lawl

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
I can vouch for the existence of the hangover headache.

Overall, what I've found most success with is just drinking water while drinking booze. Just ask for a glass of water with your beer or drinks and drink it while waiting for the next one, no big deal. Though I hear the hangovers get worse as you get older, so maybe drinking water only helps you up to some point.
And this is where I come in. Yes they get worse as you get older.........mainly because you still drink like you have an 20 year old liver. That hangover in December was so bad I still haven't drank since then.

EvilTw1n

I can also vouch for the hangover headache, as I had to power through one today to go to work.

[Oddly, I only had four drinks last night. But I didn't abide last weekend's rule: I didn't start off with whiskey. For some reason, it's way easier for me to get a hangover with beer.]

Last edited:
Might just have some mystical resistance inherited from my grandpa who would drink jet fuel and wake up early in the morning to wrangle bulls no problem.
Or like you are all saying I might just be young.

I dont think I know what a headache feels like either tbh. I gotta get on that.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Relevant for us all, I think.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/the-painful-science-of-hangovers/373138/

Q: What about people who claim to have folk cures for hangover, like burnt toast or pickle juice? Do you believe them?
A: Not usually. But the interesting thing is that one of the most effective hangover cures are ones that administer glucose. One of the other mechanisms of the hangover is to do with glucose metabolism and not having enough blood sugar. In Britain one of the most prevalent hangover cures is a big fried breakfast – fried eggs, sausages, baked beans, and all the rest—that’s well-renowned as a hangover cure in Britain, and it probably does work because there are lot of carbohydrates in that meal. And that will restore depleted sugar levels.

Q: On the occasions that you did have a hangover, what did you do?
A: Have a fried breakfast. That works wonders.

throw an alka-seltzer in a gatorade. works wonders.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
For hangovers I always go triple threat: i) water/gatorade (and like @juegosmajicos I find that drinking water as you're drinking avoids some of the symptoms entirely since no small part of a hangover is dehydration); ii) some sort of fried eggs b-fast (kinda greasy nearly always feels better); iii) some kind of pain killer/NSAID that doesn't tax the liver (no Tylenol) such as Aleve gel caps.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
For hangovers I always go triple threat: i) water/gatorade (and like @juegosmajicos I find that drinking water as you're drinking avoids some of the symptoms entirely since no small part of a hangover is dehydration); ii) some sort of fried eggs b-fast (kinda greasy nearly always feels better); iii) some kind of pain killer/NSAID that doesn't tax the liver (no Tylenol) such as Aleve gel caps.
throw an alka-seltzer in a gatorade. works wonders.
We should sticky these posts.

Shoulder

+1 on the drinking of water with every drink you have. What's interesting in my case is I usually start getting headaches as a result of drinking beer, but not straight up booze. I suspect however that it might have something to do with the yeast or whatever in the beer. I'm honestly not sure, but I get headaches much quicker with Beer compared to liqour, but I've been experimenting if that's really the case or simply a placebo affect, hence why I'm starting to drink water with every drink to see if it makes a difference. I don't know the answer yet because I'm too damn lazy to do the experiment.

There is one hangover cure, or pre-handover cure I've heard, which I've never personally tried, but there is actual science behind it. It's basically taking a couple pieces of bread, and putting maple syrup on it, and having that right before you go to bed. My friend once told me about it, and thought it was the strangest thing. Then a few short years later, I read an article about that very thing stating that the enzymes in the syrup apparently are a great way of breaking down the alcohol in your blood or something. There's also some anecdotal evidence to support this.

Post night, drink a litre or so of gatorde because your electrolytes will be down, so definitely do that, and I agree with everyone else on the big breakfast of champions with Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, etc.

I would also in the past have some Excedrin before going to bed, and never once after I popped a couple before bed did I ever wake up with a hangover, no matter how much I drank. I remember the day I had the worst hangover, and it was after drinking five pretty strong jack and cokes. I didn't drink any water that night, got home, went to bed, and as the day after progressed I had the worst hangover you could imagine. It was bad, almost to the point where I was in total pain, possibly similar to an actual migraine, but I've never had those so I cannot compare. If migraines are supposed to be worse than what I had that day, then just kill me if I ever get a migraine. Have Mario just jump on me to finish myself off like he does with his mushroom pals.

Anyway, after a few hours of this agony and pain, my dad came home and had some excedrin, so I popped in a couple of those, and within a half-hour my hangover was completely gone. It was such a goddamn relief you wouldn't realize how much better I felt because of it.

I hardly get hangovers btw, but in that particular case it. was. bad. Not only do I not get hangovers, but I've also never blacked-out and didn't remember the night before. I always have remembered the night before, and let's just say some were quite good, so it's nice to have some of those memories intact. :mthumb: