Booze Enthusiast

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
+1 on the drinking of water with every drink you have. What's interesting in my case is I usually start getting headaches as a result of drinking beer, but not straight up booze. I suspect however that it might have something to do with the yeast or whatever in the beer. I'm honestly not sure, but I get headaches much quicker with Beer compared to liqour, but I've been experimenting if that's really the case or simply a placebo affect, hence why I'm starting to drink water with every drink to see if it makes a difference. I don't know the answer yet because I'm too damn lazy to do the experiment.
I think there's something to this; I know I certainly do much better with spirits than beer. The morning after is always rougher for me if I've had a lot of beer. Whiskey or rum or gin, doesn't matter.

The thing is, I tend to have more fun with beer. It's a fuzzier feeling drunk. But I pay for it the next day, and if you're drinking good stuff, you're gonna start noticing it on your gut.
Not only do I not get hangovers, but I've also never blacked-out and didn't remember the night before. I always have remembered the night before, and let's just say some were quite good, so it's nice to have some of those memories intact. :mthumb:
I don't think I've blacked out before, but I have woken up and, for a few moments, not known how I ended up where I did.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
@juegosmajicos I should add that there's apparently a scientific basis for the benefits of egg consumption when dealing with a hangover. The slightly greasy part is probably just personal preference, although an accompaniment of orange juice and some kind of starch to boost your blood sugar do also have a basis - think toast, rice, tortillas, pancakes, hashbrowns, polenta, perogies or oats (but no waffles, fuck waffles :p).

Here's an interesting summary of some hangover science:

http://thebrainbank.scienceblog.com/2012/09/02/the-science-of-a-hangover/

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So I woke up a little hung over this morning. Was OK, and powered through it for the most part. But then I went and ate a fried chicken sandwich at Sonic with some tater tots.

Now? I feel fan-fuckin'-tastic.
What exactly is it about the grease in those foods that makes you feel so much better after a long night of drinking? Obviously there's some science behind it, so I'm extremely curious to know the answer. I love learning new things. :mgrin:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I've been getting drunk a lot. But, except for the first day of Bonnaroo, I've been in the good habit of only drinking up to the point where I barely get stupid, and then letting it ride instead of taking it all the way. This means, however, that I end up sobering a bit and getting a slight headache before I even go to sleep (because I forget to drink water).

I enjoy the ability to be this responsible (?) but I do feel like I'm missing out on the super drunk experience. But there's time for that.

Shoulder

So last night, I'm with friends watching the local baseball team play their game, and I had a Scotch ale beer, and for the first time since I first started drinking beer, I actually hated it. And let me remind you I've had this beer before and loved it. But yesterday, for whatever reason I just didn't like it. Now it might've been because I was outside in the sun, and maybe darker beers don't like being outside like that, but all I could do was one beer (free as it was included with the ticket), and I was done.

I also ate too much food as I normally eat little meals throughout the day, so my body was not agreeing with me. In all, I started to hate beer yesterday. Now it might simply be a phase that I'll get out of, but I was thinking to myself that I really wanted a glass of Bourbon or Scotch rather than the beer.

Have I become an alcohol snob?

P.S. I did btw drink water after my beer, so it wasn't that. No headache to speak of, even in the hot sun.

I hate all beers myself, well, those that I've tried.

Also I totally know what you mean there juegs, I've had that before. It's kinda weird actually.

New topic: Favourite drinking games. GO!

Shoulder

Irish Poker
Fuck the Dealer
Turrets
Asshole
Waterfall

And of course you can turn almost any TV show into a drinking game for when characters say or do certain things.

You can even turn Cards Against Humanity into a drinking game of sorts, so everytime you lose the round, you take a drink, or if you're the winner you give out a drink for every card you have won since the start of the game.

EvilTw1n

What exactly is it about the grease in those foods that makes you feel so much better after a long night of drinking? Obviously there's some science behind it, so I'm extremely curious to know the answer. I love learning new things. :mgrin:
Science!
=========
"...the interesting thing is that one of the most effective hangover cures are ones that administer glucose. One of the other mechanisms of the hangover is to do with glucose metabolism and not having enough blood sugar. In Britain one of the most prevalent hangover cures is a big fried breakfast – fried eggs, sausages, baked beans, and all the rest—that’s well-renowned as a hangover cure in Britain, and it probably does work because there are lot of carbohydrates in that meal. And that will restore depleted sugar levels."

One of my favourite drinking card games is Scabby Queen. Everyone is dealt cards, and whenever you get a pair you put them down; aim is to get rid of all your cards. You pick a card from your right and put it into your hand. I'm prolly not explaining this all too well but basically the person left with a Queen (Only 1 is put into the deck of cards) at the end has to take a shot, drink a concoction of booze, whatever. It gets tense lol.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
ClickHole is a sister website of The Onion, for those that aren't aware.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/11-microbrews-you-have-try-summer-423

Whether it’s a barbecue or a bonfire, there’s nothing quite like a cold one when it’s hot outside. Here are 11 delicious craft brews to check out this season.

Deeply Unpleasant Extra Hoppy: Infuse an IPA with the resin from heaps and heaps of acrid hop flowers and what do you end up with? Harpoon Brewery’s Deeply Unpleasant Extra Hoppy Ale, of course! Not the good kind of pungent, at all.

Twelve Dollars: Don’t let August pass you by without breaking out this deliciously complex after-dinner ale at least once. $11.99.

Barrel-Aged Extra Dark Neverending Night Porter: Crafted in the high-alcohol “Baltic” style, this new offering from Victory Brewing is a must-try for those looking to enter an opaque, leaden haze from which they will never emerge.

Colin Meloy’s Home Brewing Experiment #6: Colin upped the water temperature a few degrees and is pretty sure he added the hops at the right time for this batch, so we’ll see what that did for it.

Fuck It, Sriracha Pilsner: The technology is there, and the people calling the shots at New Glarus Brewing Co. are long past the point of caring what you think.

EvilTw1n

^
Yeah, I was recently introduced to Clickhole. Solid gold.

Just bought some Sierra Nevada Summerfest. They advertise it as a "Pilsner-style lager." I have never had a Pilsner I've liked, but I've never had a Sierra Nevada that I've disliked. Something had to give.

It was Sierra Nevada. Not even they can save this style of beer for me. It isn't as thin and watery as others, but it's still nothing but sour up front, and bitter on the finish. Basically the type of beer that turned me off of beer in the first place.

EvilTw1n

So last night I had a pair of Boston lagers with dinner. Wipes the floor with any pilsner-style lager I've ever had.

Then I went out and had a few. My usual spot downtown has a new arrival on tap: DC Brau. I'd had their regular pale ale, "The Public Pale," which is sort of half way between a pale and an IPA. It's alright, but not my bag.

On tap last night, though, was "The Citizen," a Belgian-style pale. It's like a premium Blue Moon. You get the citrus and coriander, but it's balanced with a little spice and hop in the finish. Really nice. So far, my beer of the summer. 7.0% ABV, but it doesn't taste overly powerful. I felt the two I had.

Tried this for the first time last night:

Was real good and will continue to have this in the future. Don't wanna have a lot of it in one session though because I feel like it would sort of.....dunno how to put it....not be as fresh in the mouth? Like, after drinking it I wanted a different drink after. Still, it's great. Nice flavour.

EvilTw1n

I decided Yuengling's Black & Tan deserved another try. Their lager is probably the best cheap beer you can buy around here (it's not as good as Boston Lager, but it isn't Budweiser, either).

So I bought a sixer, popped open a bottle and...nope. Still just not right. Just tastes a bit skunky.

Then I poured it into a glass. And...it's still not great, but I now taste the potential here. There's a light roasty/malty flavor with a lot of promise. But the problem is its buried. Buried by what? Well, this B&T is a 60/40 blend of porter and...pilsner. Yep, crappy American pilsner. And that just wrecks this beer. Thins out the body considerably, and adds that weird, brittle bitterness.

Unfortunatley, B&T is all you can find around here. I haven't seen a six pack of Yuengling porter anywhere. And that's a damn shame, because I bet it's a reasonably good porter (and would be dirt cheap).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm for Pilsners, so I think that Black and Tan could be interesting to me. I'll look for it and let you know if I dislike it as much as you do.

Also, if you must figure out whether you truly dislike Pilsners once and for all, get a German pilsner. A Spaten, or Wehenstephaner, or anything of the sort, just make sure you get a regular pilsner instead of some wheat ale or something. If you don't like that, I don't think you'll ever like pilsners at all, even mixed with other styles.

Shoulder

Well everyone, today is National Scotch Day, so break out your favorite scotch, or just any you have lying around, and pour yourself a glass. Cheers!

I'm at my parents right now, and they have this bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label. Looks like I have some scotch to drink boys!

Don't think I've ever had Scotch to be honest. I should try it

Onto something else, Bulmers are rising up on my favourite drinks list. So good.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I decided Yuengling's Black & Tan deserved another try. Their lager is probably the best cheap beer you can buy around here (it's not as good as Boston Lager, but it isn't Budweiser, either).

So I bought a sixer, popped open a bottle and...nope. Still just not right. Just tastes a bit skunky.

Then I poured it into a glass. And...it's still not great, but I now taste the potential here. There's a light roasty/malty flavor with a lot of promise. But the problem is its buried. Buried by what? Well, this B&T is a 60/40 blend of porter and...pilsner. Yep, crappy American pilsner. And that just wrecks this beer. Thins out the body considerably, and adds that weird, brittle bitterness.

Unfortunatley, B&T is all you can find around here. I haven't seen a six pack of Yuengling porter anywhere. And that's a damn shame, because I bet it's a reasonably good porter (and would be dirt cheap).
you can only get a black and tan at the bar, yo. it's literally impossible to bottle that drink and do it justice.

EvilTw1n

I'm for Pilsners, so I think that Black and Tan could be interesting to me. I'll look for it and let you know if I dislike it as much as you do.

Also, if you must figure out whether you truly dislike Pilsners once and for all, get a German pilsner. A Spaten, or Wehenstephaner, or anything of the sort, just make sure you get a regular pilsner instead of some wheat ale or something. If you don't like that, I don't think you'll ever like pilsners at all, even mixed with other styles.
Heck, I'd probably like a good black and tan, so long as there's enough Guinness in it.

I'll look for those beers. And maybe Sam Adams Nobel Pils (Sam and Brooklyn are my standby brands). I should be able to find some pilsner I like. I even liked Stella Artois, which is pretty thin and light (granted, I pounded six of them, so I wasn't looking to do much tasting that night). It just needs to have something beyond being thin and bitter. Plenty of other lagers are thin, but have something going for them. Even Yuengling (which I can buy for $5.99 around here) has some biscuit-y, grassy flavor up front with a semi-citrus sort of finish. But even the small-batch pils I've had up here just have...nothing. It's like drinking Natty Boh.

...then again, Harp Lager tasted that way to me, too.
Well everyone, today is National Scotch Day, so break out your favorite scotch, or just any you have lying around, and pour yourself a glass. Cheers!

I'm at my parents right now, and they have this bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label. Looks like I have some scotch to drink boys!
How was Green label? My next bottle of JW will probably either be Green or Double Black.
you can only get a black and tan at the bar, yo. it's literally impossible to bottle that drink and do it justice.
You can only get a proper B&T at a bar, yes, but plenty of breweries have tried to do a bottled premix. Yuengling is just the most well recognized.

Shoulder

Johnnie Walker Green Label was quite good actually. It had a nice smooth and warming taste, which should be the case for 15 year Scotch after all.

It's funny, my sister-in-law, who is Scottish, hates Johnnie Walker, but I cannot remember exactly why. I'll have to ask either her or my brother and see what their thoughts are on that.

Shoulder

^
Probably because it's a blend. Some folks are single malt or bust.
That's right, I almost forgot about the Blended vs. Single Malt people. I'm neutral towards them both. To be quite honest, the best Scotch I've ever had is this:

That being said, I've also very much enjoyed Single Malts, with Balvenie 15 being a good one to name, as well as Macallan 12, the latter of which I'm very fond of because it's a good Scotch at an affordable price.

Shoulder

Oh, and when we were talking about bourbon earlier, some of the better ones include Knob Creek, which is a favorite among a lot of bourbon drinkers, but I've also particularily liked Woodford Reserve:

Granted, it's been a few years since I've last tried it, so I'll have to go ahead and buy another bottle of it. Target carries it, so maybe I'll make a trip to there later this week. I should finish my other bottles first of Maker's 47, and V though.

EvilTw1n

That's right, I almost forgot about the Blended vs. Single Malt people. I'm neutral towards them both.
You're in the right boat, then. I've never understood the snobbery on blends. You can mix and marry flavors together that would otherwise be impossible. JW Black is still one of my favorite whiskies.

And Woodford is indeed damn good.

A terminally underrated bourbon is Bulleit. A lot of bourbons go crazy with sharp oak flavors, but Bulleit is really well balanced.

Shoulder

You're in the right boat, then. I've never understood the snobbery on blends. You can mix and marry flavors together that would otherwise be impossible. JW Black is still one of my favorite whiskies.

And Woodford is indeed damn good.

A terminally underrated bourbon is Bulleit. A lot of bourbons go crazy with sharp oak flavors, but Bulleit is really well balanced.
Looks like I have another bourbon to try out.

EvilTw1n

Some friends invited me out for a weekend in the mountains that'll take place soon. They visit this park often, and told me it's really nice this time of year, and not overly hot ('dat elevation). Looking at the calendar, I see how close to fall we're getting, so it made me really want to take some Octoberfest with me for the weekend. But hell, it's only August.

Went to the beer store after work today, anyway, though, aaaaand...

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/AWW+Yeah.+Can+somebody+put+yeah+Shy-Guy+at+the+bottom_a405d0_3535057.gif

Sam Adams' Octoberfest is in stock, mofos. Which means that the best time for beer drinking is at hand.

Bought a sixer, and happy to report that this batch doesn't have the copper-y taste that was there in last year's bottled batch. It's pretty damn tasty. Tons of malty goodness, hint of spice on the finish. Not as much caramel up front as I like in a Märzen, but close enough.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Seriously, Sam Adams. Don't do this to me. I only drink two last night, but then I look down at the second beer and...

unnamed.jpg

Seriously. Messes with you.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Seriously, Sam Adams. Don't do this to me. I only drink two last night, but then I look down at the second beer and...

View attachment 1066

Seriously. Messes with you.
I like it. It assumes that you're going to drink it without even knowing what it is to begin with. Like you'll think, "hey, this alcohol is kinda tasty, I wonder what it is? Oh it says right there, it's called "beer", and it says it's made by this Samuel Adams guy. I oughta check out his other alcoholic products sometime".

Goodtwin

I love Great Lakes Oktoberfest, not sure if they ship out in your area, its a Cleveland Ohio brewery, but I love these guys. I use to be a Coors Light or Bud Select kind of guy, but these days I would rather have drink something a bit heavier. I love Oktoberfest, and then I go into Christmas Ale. I not only like the taste of these beers, but they are also high in ABV, so instead of a 4.2% beer, they are 6.5 for Oktoberfest, and then about 8% for Christmas Ale. They have one in the summer called Lake Erie Monster, and its over 9% ABV. Not say that the goal is to get more wasted, but its nice to catch a buzz without having to drink 6-8 beers. The Lake Erie Monster comes in four packs, and thats a good thing, anymore than that and you will regret it. LOL

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I love Great Lakes Oktoberfest, not sure if they ship out in your area, its a Cleveland Ohio brewery, but I love these guys. I use to be a Coors Light or Bud Select kind of guy, but these days I would rather have drink something a bit heavier. I love Oktoberfest, and then I go into Christmas Ale. I not only like the taste of these beers, but they are also high in ABV, so instead of a 4.2% beer, they are 6.5 for Oktoberfest, and then about 8% for Christmas Ale. They have one in the summer called Lake Erie Monster, and its over 9% ABV. Not say that the goal is to get more wasted, but its nice to catch a buzz without having to drink 6-8 beers. The Lake Erie Monster comes in four packs, and thats a good thing, anymore than that and you will regret it. LOL
we get great lakes out here in chicago, and everything i've had from them has ranged from good to great. they've got one called burning river pale ale that's especially good.

Shoulder

Every state ranked by its beer:
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/every-state-in-the-usa-ranked-by-its-beer

I gotta say, maple bacon coffee porter? Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout? Yes. Just, yes.

Also, Evil Twin brewing was mentioned quite a few posts back...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/magazine/a-fight-is-brewing.html?_r=0
7. Wisconsin
There was a time when Milwaukee made approximately every beer consumed by every man who came home from work with grease on his shirt. Today, those canned brands of yesteryear are dead, or sold off and made in, like, California. But the Brothers Leinenkugel are statewide icons, New Glarus’ Spotted Cow is the first beer referenced by cheeseheads everywhere (even though nobody can get it outside the state), the baseball team’s name is the damn Brewers, and there used to be an urban legend that Miller Park’s taps were fueled by a beer pipe that ran directly from the brewery. An urban legend we will perpetuate, right here. Miller Park’s taps are fueled by a beer pipe that runs directly from the brewery!
+1 for the mention of Spotted Cow, but Boooooo for even mentioning Miller Lite. Sure it's popular, but it's fucking carbonated piss water. It has little taste in it. Am I a WI Beer Snob? You're goddamn right I am.

I'd rather skip something local such as Miller Lite and drink Stella Artois.

EvilTw1n

Oktoberfest #2 - Yuengling.

Last year, Yuengling was the surprise bottle of the year, IMO. For $7 (and it's still the same price here), you got a decent Märzen. Compared to the other beers last year, it was an absolute steal, but it was also in the top tier of the bottled stuff that I couldn't find on tap.

This year? Not so much.

At first blush, it has that "dirty water" taste that ruins their pilsner (and, by extension, the Black & Tan mixture of theirs that is 40% pilsner). It just tastes like a slightly heavier version of their lager, but one that has virtually no caramel. In fact, it kinda has that copper-y taste that the bottled Sam Adams had last year (but doesn't have this year).

That flavor doesn't entirely go away as it warms up a bit, but you do get - of all things - some fruit flavors. And once it warms a bit, on the tail end there's some sweetness - probably the lightest possible hint of caramel malt.

I'll try it straight from the bottle to see if it's any better (some beers really are better that way). As it is now, though...well, it's not a bad beer. If it's the only Oktoberfest around, it's worth a taste. But otherwise, stick with Sam Adams.

EDIT: Drinking one from a bottle now. Definitely drink it out of the bottle. That harshness that manifests as an almost "dirty" taste becomes a cereal-y note. It's smoother, and the caramel is a little more obvious. But only a little. Still not better than Sam Adams.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Alright, as TNE's resident alcoholic, I'm bumping this.

-I did not find one good Oktoberfest this entire year. Leinenkugel was good right out of the freezer, but too light and sweet when it warmed up a bit. Flying Dog's Dogtoberfest was merely decent. DuClaw's "Mad Bishop" Oktoberfest was oddly fruity. Beck's was basically the Yuengling Oktoberfest of Europe (or vice versa).

-After watching a bunch of Peaky Blinders on Netflix, I've been drinking a lot of Irish whiskey. If you haven't tried John L. Sullivan whiskey, definitely do so. I used to think Tullamore Dew was about as good as mid-tier Irish whiskey got, but the Sullivan stuff is damn tasty. Highly recommended.

-I decided to get a sixer of Newcastle. I love the biscuit-y-ness of this beer so much, but...I can't find a six pack that isn't skunked. I get it, they use a clear bottle to be quirky/British, and also to show off how good the beer looks. But the clear glass lets that beer skunk waaaaay earlier than it should.