Can mobile gaming ever be a hardcore experience?

Menashe

I see so many companies putting more and more focus on mobile gaming, that I soon think it will reach a point where no big company, including Nintendo, can ignore it. Eventually I think it will inevitable that we will see hardcore gaming on mobile phones. But, I want to know in the present, is there yet? I don't own a fancy mobile phone and I have never given that part of the industry any attention, so I'm asking people who already have those phones and play games on it. Is it only casual gaming or can you actually have the experiences you would have previously only found on gaming-dedicated systems?

What is a hardcore experience? Games like GTA, TWEWY and Command & Conquer are available on the iPhone and there are some shmup games on iPhome that would traditionally be called hardcore.

The lack of buttons is probably the biggest barrier at the moment.

Menashe

But do people actually play those games on a mobile phone? Is a mobile phone conducive to such experiences? And if not, what would have to be done to make them easily accessible but also deep enough for traditional gamers to sink their teeth into?

Basically, I don't know much about mobile gaming at all so it's kind of worrying for me to see so many companies head in that direction.

At the moment not really. Most games that people are playing on their phones would be considered casual. GTA III & Vice City have sold well at $4.99 each though.

The reason so may companies are going to mobile platforms is because of the large install base and low development costs as well as the improving hardware.

// I don't play many games on my mobile and those that I do wouldn't be considered hardcore.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
They aren't there yet, but I think it's inevitable that games on these devices will get better and better as long as they are still profitable.

I think that it will take developers to drop button design though. Having buttons displayed on a touch screen sucks. Developers are going to have to embrace the new input method, and create experiences that work with it.

beanboy

I see so many companies putting more and more focus on mobile gaming, that I soon think it will reach a point where no big company, including Nintendo, can ignore it. Eventually I think it will inevitable that we will see hardcore gaming on mobile phones. But, I want to know in the present, is there yet? I don't own a fancy mobile phone and I have never given that part of the industry any attention, so I'm asking people who already have those phones and play games on it. Is it only casual gaming or can you actually have the experiences you would have previously only found on gaming-dedicated systems?
Well, I play games on mobile devices eg. A tablet.

Most of the games for them on the app stores, are definitely for the casual crowd. But SNK got a bit adventurous, and released a KOF game for mobile devices a few years ago, and both casuals and the so called hardcore crowd play it. So yeah, mobile gaming can become a hardcore experience, if game companies moreso Japanese game companies, are willing to put hardcore type games, that would normally be released on consoles, onto mobile devices, with online play attached to it too.

But alot of the gamers looking for a hardcore experience, normally download emulators on their mobile devices, to play old school hardcore games, like dreamcast fighting games like Virtua Fighter, Soul Reaver, or arcade emulators to play old school fighting games, like Street Fighter 2, and SNK fighting games like KOF 97, 98 onward etc. So yeah, it does, or can become a hardcore experience in a sense, depending on what you want to do, or play on your mobile device.

Last edited: