Can PS4 keep this up?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/can-ps4-keep-this-up/

It's a good interview and read in my opinion. Also nice to yet another person not phased by Pachter's prediction ways.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I'm going to have to say yes, not as much as did at launch or PS2/DS numbers or anything but it'll definitely have good consistent sales, as will the 3DS and XB1. However, I still feel that the 3DS will be the bests selling platform of this generation

Aki

Yes, I've been saying this before launch and am still saying it; it's PS2 all over again. PS4 is going to smash every single home console sales record by the time that it's done. It has a very good chance to leave it's legacy as the best system ever and I think it will.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Yes, I've been saying this before launch and am still saying it; it's PS2 all over again. PS4 is going to smash every single home console sales record by the time that it's done. It has a very good chance to leave it's legacy as the best system ever and I think it will.
It'd have to make inroads in new territories because that 25 million in Japan is not coming back to it.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
it'll win this gen for sure, but i don't think it will do ps2 numbers by a long shot... a good number of ps2's were bought as dvd players, an angle that ps4 can't exploit. plus ps2 numbers were just berzerk...

http://i.picpar.com/atv.gif

I can see Wii surpassing PS2 if Nintendo doesn't discontinue it too soon and if it still gets enough support from third parties into 2014/2015 It's selling surprisingly well as of now.

Probably, I think its pretty obvious its going to win next gen and will probably surpass Wii U life time sales by february.
I'd agree if PS4 pulled more than the 280,421 it did this week, which was only 106,329 more than Wii U and even less of a gap between it and Xbox One. Not to mention this is launch and holiday sales while it's just holiday sales for Wii U.
If it consistently does keep outselling Wii U, I don't think it will surpass it by feb. That's more a ridiculous assumption than an obvious one. To outsell Wii U by Feb, PS4 would have to be doing 314,285 a week, and that's assuming Nintendo doesn't sell a single console from now until then (which is obviously not a real world scenario).

Ex-Actarus

Can the PS4 keep up ? YES !

- the overwelming support of 3rd party devs

- huge support from the Playstation fanbase

- incredible entry price

- great reviews on the DS4

- The power of the beast

- fantastic Sony marketing,...

I see the PS4 being a candidate for 100 million club easily.

Now, too early to say if the PS4 can reach the 150 million club ( PS2 and DS ).

All will depend of the success - or not - of the system in Japan.

Besides keep in mind that Nintendo and Microsoft can still unleash killer ap ( Wii Sport or Kinect style ) that would change everything !

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I Have sincere doubtss about this console outselling the PS3 even.
Nah, it'll definitely sell more than the PS3. No Blu-Ray or Cell CPU to bring the PS4 down. However, I definitely don't see it doing PS2/DS numbers. Not even close

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Total console sales have been increasing every gen. They barely changed with the introduction of the PS1-PS2 but expounded greatly with the Wii. but the distribution with all of these gamers is getting sparser and sparser so Im having trouble seeing the console market not contract here.

Probably, I think its pretty obvious its going to win next gen and will probably surpass Wii U life time sales by february.
I'd agree if PS4 pulled more than the 280,421 it did this week, which was only 106,329 more than Wii U and even less of a gap between it and Xbox One. Not to mention this is launch and holiday sales while it's just holiday sales for Wii U.
If it consistently does keep outselling Wii U, I don't think it will surpass it by feb. That's more a ridiculous assumption than an obvious one. To outsell Wii U by Feb, PS4 would have to be doing 314,285 a week, and that's assuming Nintendo doesn't sell a single console from now until then (which is obviously not a real world scenario).
I guess April then

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
- fantastic Sony marketing,
I just don't see it. Sony's didn't have so much of a marketing strategy as an understanding of when to shut up. They knew Microsoft was hanging themselves with all the mixed messages and a bloater hierarchy, so they just rode the good-will train into the station. The marketing that Sony has actually done has been somewhat pretentious. That, combined with the late launch in Japan is likely to damage their image long term.
That is, unless gamers just continue to enjoy giving tit-wanks until kingdom-come. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past today's gamer crowd.

PlayStation 4 is running on hype, i don't see them deliver much in 2014 and PlayStation 4 might have hurdles in Japan since Wii U will have by then a lot of content that is appealing to Japanese/Asian audience...

Wii U still has a good chance of winning the "console war".

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
PlayStation 4 is running on hype, i don't see them deliver much in 2014 and PlayStation 4 might have hurdles in Japan since Wii U will have by then a lot of content that is appealing to Japanese/Asian audience...

While the PS4 may be running on hype right now, it's future library has the appeal, quality, and quantity to allow it to continue to sell at a steady rate. I'm not so sure how it'll do in Japan but I don't see it doing much worse than the PS3, Vita, or Wii-U in Japan

There is no console war, my boy

Tucker

No it doesn't, but it does have a good chance of making a genuine impact.

But like Faker said, there's really no 'console war'.

Tucker

Honestly, it frustrates me to no end that people get so married to one corporate entity over another and feel the need to defend it. Take @GaemzDood - the guy is an arm-chair neg-cannon hittin dat -1 on every opinion that goes against his pro-Sony agenda. It's a bit sad to see, honestly. At the end of the day, it's all a business, and we are its consumers. The only loyalty these companies show us is the minimum requirement for good PR to keep sales rolling. I mean for goodness sake, some people carry around the name "fanboy" like a badge of honour these days...

GaemzDood

I don't like many "art" games such as Gone Home actually, but I am a detail whore.

In reply to Tucker's comment, I disagree with a lot of things he says, but that has to be the first comment he posted where I have to say he's full of shit. If anything, I'm a "fanboy" of 3rd party titles. I can also admit Sony has published some bad games like that Spawn game on PS1, Lair, & Start the Party. I have also "defended" many titles on Nintendo consoles such as Assassin's Creed III & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate. I also have an extensive collection of original Xbox games, I even posted them.

Suhno, I'm a gaming fan my n word.

Get on my Tapatalk sig level bishes.

Tucker

Eh, so maybe you weren't the best example in the world as a fanboy. I do, however, stand behind your negging-without-response as being a bit of a bitch. You wouldn't even throw down with me overMass Effect when I called you in directly. You hurt my feelings, man.

GaemzDood

Well to be honest, Mass Effect 2's story was pretty shitty. It started off with a deus ex machina, and a lot of potentially great story details were casted aside for a bland "creppy voice" villain. The side characters also have blatantly notceable daddy issues. However, the cover based shooting is some of the best I've played with this genetation & it's pretty hard on Normal and above, ven with the introduction of some bad systems (health regeneration for all classes) and the corner cutting of features that could've been potentially improved (Mako & the inventory).

If you wanna know why I didn't respond at the time, I didn't feel like it. Now that I'm in a pretentious art school student mood, I can discuss stories and shit.

And just to debunk the Sony fanboy theory even further, I think Uncharted is inferior to Gears of War.

Get on my Tapatalk sig level bishes.

Tucker

And just to debunk the Sony fanboy theory even further, I think Uncharted is inferior to Gears of War.
I think Mass Effect 3 is more fun as a TPS than both put together

Ex-Actarus

I agree that the PS4 is running on hype but it was the same for the PS, PS2, Wii and 360/kinect.

Hype is completely part of console success.

And Sony should get ALL the credit for builiding such hype and delivering.

Now, I think that the PS4 will get some real test when Mario Kart 8 and Titanfall arrive.

Those will be the 2 biggest games of the first half of 2014 and there are not on PS4...

Now forget about the Wii U winning the console war.

It won't.

No console has EVER won a console war without 3rd party support.

NEVER !

The PS4 has already won because Sony took all the right steps.

The question is can the Wii U recover as the 3DS did ?

The way I see it, i see the Wii U matching the NES numbers at best, but more likely SNES numbers.

So more 45 millions more likely than 60 million lifetime sales.

Again the PS4 will hit 100 million without question.

The Xbone, I have no idea but forget 360 like numbers...

Given that it's only the first year of what is supposedly going to be a near decade long console war, anything can happen, so I wouldn't count anyone out just yet.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

^ PS4 and Xbox One together are redundant to the majority of consumers.
PC eats their market too, game devs have banal fears of piracy.

All this sets up is a horribly shitty situation.
Unless third party devs run to the Vita to save themselves from a contracting market that barely expanded from the PS2's rise compared to what happened with the Wii.(reached a whole new market, doubled the total amount of consoles sold in the industry compared to the 5th and 6th generation. It was the NES all over again )

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Laer it's the same as every other console generation. Xbox and PlayStation are off to an amazing start and will do just fine. Knock it off already, your "insights" are consistently ridiculous.

The only console in a "horribly shitty situation" right now is the Wii U, and you know it.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Laer it's the same as every other console generation. Xbox and PlayStation are off to an amazing start and will do just fine. Knock it off already, your "insights" are consistently ridiculous.

The only console in a "horribly shitty situation" right now is the Wii U, and you know it.
Well, aside from the Vita

Tucker

lol @ anyone speculating on lifetime sales numbers in this thread. This thing should be archived so we can laugh at everyone who said "guaranteed, the PS4 will do over 100 million" when the market comes back and says "consoles are cool, but do we really need them any more? I mean... I 'game' on my phone, don't you know." The market is in such a weird place that it's impossible to predict what's gonna tickle the prostates of the general masses come Q2 2014, let alone a 5-10 year hardware cycle in a market full of 6 month hardware cycles.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Sorry if I'd rather consolee not go the way other redundant and electronic artifacts and toys have
Consoles were doomed, Nintendo was doomed, 3DS was doomed, WiiU was doomed bla bla bla

Tucker

Yeah, but the point was that your personal preferences shouldn't be influencing predictions. When they do, it becomes little more than guess-work and favouritism.
Nintendo is in a bad spot with the Wii U, but in a good one with the 3DS - Nintendo itself is in no real trouble, but you can't deny that the Wii U has long roads ahead.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Of course you cant, but people dont seem to learn from their past. Particularly regarding how this industry will evolve.

Its .... irresponsible I'd reckon they've all become alcoholics

Tucker

People also remember that the PS2 started strong and ended strong. This industry isn't only an underdog story.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
^ PS4 and Xbox One together are redundant to the majority of consumers.
If that were true, the PS3 and the 360 would have been redundant to the majority of consumers. Both managed to do quite well in the end.

The PS4 won't be doing launch-week numbers every week, but so long as the software lineup is compelling going forward, their sales probably won't drop off a cliff.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

There are less differences than the PS4 and the Xbox One than the PS3 and the 360.

PS3 had to fight its ass to get back to where it is on the backs of software and a direction overhaul, Xbox was the main platform for a long while

EvilTw1n

There are less differences than the PS4 and the Xbox One than the PS3 and the 360.
How do you figure? The 360 and PS3 both launched as being same-y powerful HD consoles (main difference being the hardware architecture, which means jack squat to the average consumer). The PS4 launched as a cutting edge graphical behemoth (like last time), while the One is touting Kinect and social media.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Because what its marketed as is not simply beyond the reality of what it is at play.

We've got to account for the fact that the console market has indeed contracted, the fact that there is even more competition, the fact that game libraries and the features of these consoles are becoming even more ubiquitous not just in consoles, the fact that they're is no new media format or anything else to push along with it either. Nor is the platform strong enough or bringing anything remarkably new to the table. And if these were conceived as anything beyond a stop gap then there are some troubling times in the future , the key differentiators has to be software. And if you look at whats exclusive on the PS3 and Xbox 360 its quite a small list.

EvilTw1n

And if you look at whats exclusive on the PS3 and Xbox 360 its quite a small list.
Which didn't hamper either in pushing big numbers towards their respective mid-to-late period sales.

I'm not sure how to unpack the rest of that; it's too much conjecture. It has yet to be proven how much of a contraction there's been in the console market after ginormous launches for the One and PS4, or if a new media format even matters at all (I'd wager both consoles would sell less if they went digital only right now), or just how strong each platform will be, or if any of that is knowable at all at this point (if you were to judge the PS3's sales after one year on the market, you'd have been wrong in the long run).