Capcom maybe for real up to be bought.......again

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
So I ran up on this article. Now I’m personally not saying that I believe there up to be bought again. But we do know from maybe last year or the year before they could have been possibly lookin for someone to buy them.

Well in this article I found supposedly the Wall Street Journal is writing an article about how Capcom may for real be up to be bought out because of there terrible financial situation.

Now the article is super short. And really I’m not trusting this no more than a rumor UNTIL that said Wall Street journal article comes out.

But here you go http://www.ticgn.com/news/47249/

Koenig

The Architect
Depending on who buys them out, I might be happy with this. If they remain a multi-platform developer I would be happy with most large publishers buying them out, but if any of the console manufacturers try to monopolise their IP I would feel a bit bitter.

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
I think Nintendo or Namco would be a great owner of their IP. I could see both really bringing back the old school titles in a new way that would both pay homage to it and improve gameplay.

I don't want to see Ubisoft get it. I don't know why but something doesn't sit well with giving that company IP from Capcom. They did a great job with Mario vs Rabbids but I believe a lot of that comes from Nintendo making sure the game was quality.

Now, if Microsoft were smart they would jump all over it but we know they would essentially run off everyone that made the company worth owning and murder the IP.

Koenig

The Architect
I think Nintendo or Namco would be a great owner of their IP. I could see both really bringing back the old school titles in a new way that would both pay homage to it and improve gameplay.

I don't want to see Ubisoft get it. I don't know why but something doesn't sit well with giving that company IP from Capcom. They did a great job with Mario vs Rabbids but I believe a lot of that comes from Nintendo making sure the game was quality.

Now, if Microsoft were smart they would jump all over it but we know they would essentially run off everyone that made the company worth owning and murder the IP.
I would be lying if I said I did not want Nintendo to buy them (Most of Capcom's best IP's are tied to Nintendo old systems after all), but given how frugal Nintendo is I doubt they ever would.

If Microsoft bought them out and let Capcom remain a multiplatform dev, I might be down for that. But if they intend to monopolize their IP I get the sinking feeling that it will be Rare all over again, but worse.

As long as it isn't EA, Activision, Warner Bros or Ubisoft.

If it was a console publisher, it'll be interesting if Nintendo or Sony did it. Sony helped out with Street Fighter 5 and Monster Hunter World while Nintendo had Monster Hunter 3 and 4.

I'd argue they use to one of the best developer back in the day. Fun arcade-y games that are still great today. Now it seems like they mostly focus on multiplayer games with season passes and DLC. Only pure single player game I can think of that they released lately was Dead Rising 4. They always had Street Fighter/Darkstalker/MvC and Monster Hunter goes back to the PS2, but no more Mega Man, Ghost n Goblins, or Strider. Okami and Okamiden were great but sold poorly.

Also seems like most of their PS4/Xbone games are just re-releases. RE4-6, Dead Rising 1 & 2, Dragon's Dogma, etc.

They aren't what they use to be, and other than Phoenix Wright, I don't care for most of what they put out these days. I'm not that upset, Shinji Mikami made The Evil Within and Platinum Games exist.

FriedShoes

MLG
that said, I dont buy the rumor. Would be nice because fuck Capcom

ok gotta get this out there because I came up with this conspiracy while on 4chan of all places: Capcom has actively tried to sabotage the Switch.
Recall them forcing Nintendo to raise the RAM so they could run the RE7 engine on it. Yet no RE7. Recall testing the Switch audience with a 20 years old SF game. And it outperformed. Recall dismissing Switch with various Megaman and Classic collections, almost all of which appeared on Nintendo consoles. Recall now a second test with RE Revelations 1 and 2. Why are they doing this?
Monster Hunter. Its always been the silent money maker of the company. A lot of their productions are funded by the money MH makes, its facts. They're taking a big gamble with World, since it looks like a AAA production now, so dumping it where those types of games sell and is easily ported to (getting it to Switch would take work and more money) makes sense. As such, they need to belittle the Switch as much as possible to make themselves and their games look as strong as possible in comparison. Unfortuneately the Switch is a massive success and now they just look like foolish assholes. Street Figher V is a sales failure (although profit is probably good because DLC), MVC:I is a failure, what are they riding on if MH fails?

Tencent would buy Capcom and all its IPs, no question about it. But I dont believe the rumor.

I would be lying if I said I did not want Nintendo to buy them (Most of Capcom's best IP's are tied to Nintendo old systems after all), but given how frugal Nintendo is I doubt they ever would.

If Microsoft bought them out and let Capcom remain a multiplatform dev, I might be down for that. But if they intend to monopolize their IP I get the sinking feeling that it will be Rare all over again, but worse.
yeah Nintendo aint buying shit. They had an opportunity to buy Atlus but Sega took it instead, smh.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Nintendo is the only publisher I could think of that could focus them, and turn them around to their previous greatness...

Capcom's issues seem to be at the top of the company

And the failures come from trying to replicate the successes of the west

I think any other publisher would focus on improving the areas capcom should have never been exploring, while nintendo would focus them on their actual strengths... I think under nintendo, capcom would rediscover their iconic past.... Under anyone else they would double down on their generic present

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

ok gotta get this out there because I came up with this conspiracy while on 4chan of all places: Capcom has actively tried to sabotage the Switch.
Recall them forcing Nintendo to raise the RAM so they could run the RE7 engine on it. Yet no RE7. Recall testing the Switch audience with a 20 years old SF game. And it outperformed. Recall dismissing Switch with various Megaman and Classic collections, almost all of which appeared on Nintendo consoles. Recall now a second test with RE Revelations 1 and 2. Why are they doing this?
Monster Hunter. Its always been the silent money maker of the company. A lot of their productions are funded by the money MH makes, its facts. They're taking a big gamble with World, since it looks like a AAA production now, so dumping it where those types of games sell and is easily ported to (getting it to Switch would take work and more money) makes sense. As such, they need to belittle the Switch as much as possible to make themselves and their games look as strong as possible in comparison. Unfortuneately the Switch is a massive success and now they just look like foolish assholes. Street Figher V is a sales failure (although profit is probably good because DLC), MVC:I is a failure, what are they riding on if MH fails?

Tencent would buy Capcom and all its IPs, no question about it. But I dont believe the rumor.

yeah Nintendo aint buying shit. They had an opportunity to buy Atlus but Sega took it instead, smh.
I could see it happening though. Tencent is a force to be reckoned with right now.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
Nintendo is best suited to take Capcom and turn them into a great studio again. They have become mired in poor business decisions and bad PR with gamers.

I say this not only because I would love for Nintendo to buy them, but because it makes the most sense.

Nintendo has an intimate understanding of many of Capcom's great IP's, and they all fit perfectly onto Nintendo's hardware.

Make it happen, Big N!

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
IF they are up for sale then yes I do share the same sentiment that I would love for Nintendo to buy them. There are a slew of games at Capcom that fill a ton of gaps.

If you're saying Capcom is sabotaging the Switch, then you should at least include most 3rd parties. This is no different than the Wii/U days of very late 3rd party ports with missing features. Call of Duty 4 got released when MW2 was coming out, U got Mass Effect 3 while the other systems had the trilogy bundle. Ubisoft just released Rayman Legends Definitive edition that is not actually the definitive way of playing.

Meanwhile, Capcom is doing what Capcom does, re-release old games all the time. How many times have RE4 been ported to a new system? And it's not just them ignoring Nintendo for classics, Square Enix is remaking Secret of Mana for PS4, PC and Vita - no Nintendo systems. I guess you could argue Nintendo sabotaged the Wii U by releasing Breath of the Wild on Switch after years of saying "this year guys, no really this year".

And a few other companies requested the Switch to have more RAM as well apparently.

I'm not necessarily sticking up for Capcom here as I said that the only stuff they've been releasing lately that I care about is Phoenix Wright, but if you're gonna say they're deliberately out to fuck over Nintendo, maybe include the majority of big 3rd parties. That said, I don't buy it, they're a business. If they wanted to sabotage the Switch, I think they would just release nothing rather than old games. They make dumb decisions sure, just like every other company but they're not evil.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
Nintendo needs to get their own business stable and growing again before taking on more risks honestly.
Every risk has been taken just by releasing the switch and changing up the style of there games BotW and SMO. If they bought Capcom they also would buy there teams that make those games. There more stable that anyone out there it seems right now to take on an undertaking like this.

Koenig

The Architect
True, but buying Capcom also means buying their debt. As much as I would like to see them get Capcom under their wings (And honestly, Capcom would be better for it) I don't see Nintendo doing it; they may be known for taking risks, but when it comes to financial decisions you would be hard pressed to find a bigger penny pincher than Nintendo.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
True, but buying Capcom also means buying their debt. As much as I would like to see them get Capcom under their wings (And honestly, Capcom would be better for it) I don't see Nintendo doing it; they may be known for taking risks, but when it comes to financial decisions you would be hard pressed to find a bigger penny pincher than Nintendo.
They are penny pinchers for sure, and this whole thread has been about pure speculation on weather or not Capcom would even be up for sale, because we still don’t know.

We do know that Nintendo I think was just evaluated and is worth (don’t quote me) around 37 billion dollars. Capcom IF SOLD would be sold for way less than that. For the sake of argument I think Nintendo could buy them outright and not have to worry about the debt.

Odo

Aside from MH and a few small titles, Capcom isn't big outside of Japan. Actually, even MH isn't that big outside Japan. I don't see many western companies wanting to buy it. Capcom is a has-been. They don't have many valuable IPs anyway.

The best for me would be Sega or another big Japanese company buying them. I don't want Nintendo buying Capcom, because they would make Capcom titles exclusive to Nintendo. I don't want Nintendo monopolising it. I don't want any of the big 3, but among them Nintendo'd be the worst, because I guess Miyamoto would kill all the IPs he dislikes (like 90% of them), they'd censor everything else and re-release ST like 500 times a year for $99 with amiibo DLC.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
Aside from MH and a few small titles, Capcom isn't big outside of Japan. Actually, even MH isn't that big outside Japan. I don't see many western companies wanting to buy it. Capcom is a has-been. They don't have many valuable IPs anyway.

The best for me would be Sega or another big Japanese company buying them. I don't want Nintendo buying Capcom, because they would make Capcom titles exclusive to Nintendo. I don't want Nintendo monopolising it. I don't want any of the big 3, but among them Nintendo'd be the worst, because I guess Miyamoto would kill all the IPs he dislikes (like 90% of them), they'd censor everything else and re-release ST like 500 times a year for $99 with amiibo DLC.
Dude talk about talkin out your ass. There is so much wrong with a lot of this post I don’t know where to begin, but I’ll hit the 2 big ones.

#1 they have many valuable IPs than MANY company’s would love to add to there portfolio.

#2 WTF would Miyamoto have to do with anything? He’s not the president

After FE Heroes and Xenoblade 2, I think Nintendo has stepped back its censoring ways. I mean, they even featured Gal Gun and Senran Kagura on several Nintendo Directs since Switch launched. I do not know what ST is, but this entire sentence there makes no sense anyway.

Capcom has already fucked over a lot of its major IPs. SFV (still a PS4 console exclusive, but thats ok I guess haha) has been a sales disappointment, dont even need to bring up MvC Infinite. Funny you mention censorship, as Capcom is not above this, or are we that quick to forget the R.Mika changes? Dead Rising is fucking dead. Breath of Fire is all mobile now. Resident Evil is doing strong, but this cloud move is retarded and worrying. Mega Man is currently undergoing rehab, but until recently it was popular belief that it was better off in Nintendo's hand, especially following how they treated the character in Smash Bros.

Dude talk about talkin out your ass. There is so much wrong with a lot of this post I don’t know where to begin, but I’ll hit the 2 big ones.

#1 they have many valuable IPs than MANY company’s would love to add to there portfolio.

Some actual quotes from and about the new actual Nintendo president
"I grew up playing the Famicom and come from that generation. Now as a member of management with Super Mario’s creator Shigeru Miyamoto, I have a lot of respect for him. On the other hand, with this new job that can’t just be it, so I expect to say what needs to be said to run the company."
"Mr. Kimishima sees his successor as someone good at building consensus among all employees rather than relying on a few ''geniuses'' "

Odo

Don't know, mr dude, don't know. Nothing is really selling that well, mr dude.

Nah mr dude, can't you see a joke right there? chill dude

Odo

After FE Heroes and Xenoblade 2, I think Nintendo has stepped back its censoring ways.
I think not. Too soon to say. Nintendo's still too children friendly for many Capcom more modern IPs

Capcom has already fucked over a lot of its major IPs. SFV (still a PS4 console exclusive, but thats ok I guess haha) has been a sales disappointment, dont even need to bring up MvC Infinite. Funny you mention censorship, as Capcom is not above this, or are we that quick to forget the R.Mika changes? Dead Rising is fucking dead. Breath of Fire is all mobile now. Resident Evil is doing strong, but this cloud move is retarded and worrying. Mega Man is currently undergoing rehab, but until recently it was popular belief that it was better off in Nintendo's hand, especially following how they treated the character in Smash Bros.
Where's Mega Man having rehab? He seems to be dead.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
Some actual quotes from and about the new actual Nintendo president
"I grew up playing the Famicom and come from that generation. Now as a member of management with Super Mario’s creator Shigeru Miyamoto, I have a lot of respect for him. On the other hand, with this new job that can’t just be it, so I expect to say what needs to be said to run the company."
"Mr. Kimishima sees his successor as someone good at building consensus among all employees rather than relying on a few ''geniuses'' "
WTF does this have to do with anything? Nothing about Capcom not having valuable IPs or Miyamoto shutting 90% of Capcom games down (if they were to buy them anyhow).

I think not. Too soon to say. Nintendo's still too children friendly for many Capcom more modern IPs

Where's Mega Man having rehab? He seems to be dead.
they're making a new game in the series, and releasing several anniversary collections. Its the same amount of care they offer Street Fighter 2, their only game apparently.

Odo

All I said is I don't want Nintendo monopolising it.

Because Nintendo surely would. They wouldn't buy Capcom to keep it 3rd party. I want Capcom IPs to be third party.

I also said I don't want any of the big 3

Yeah, because basically all of them would try to monopolise it.

I also said and I believe that among them Nintendo would be the worst buyer, because I guess Miyamoto would kill all the IPs he dislikes.

And all you clever guys with your superior opinions think that I'm a idiot that really believes that Miyamoto is Nintendo owner and will personally kill the IPs he dislikes. Figurative speech for all you geniuses doesn't' exist. Or maybe my speech is just too offensive because I think Nintendo would be the worst buyer and I'm supposed to come here and say how much Nintendo is the retro game wonderland and should be the best buyer because Nintendo is just the best. The perfect land of perfect games that fix everything that is wrong and dammed game industry. Nintendo would also kill this Monster Hunter on PS4 nonsense to keep Monster Hunter only for the Nintendo enlightened fans. I'd have got a few RAP marks with this post, instead. Next time I will.

C'mon, give me a favour...

Considering how Nintendo is, it's likely that they would kill all mature Capcom projects. Capcom would vanish inside Nintendo corporation. They'd be mostly making games like those we found on 3DS and providing characters for Smash and amiibo. If someone disagrees with that, that's fine, but it's a perfectly reasonable route. Retro titles like Megaman, of course they'd be there, perhaps a new one and I know how much you guys love it, retro games, SF2... Nintendo is all about retro gaming anyway, but Capcom is not only Mega Man anymore. The Capcom titles that have most sold are RE (the ones that Nintendo never had) and MHW (8m alone). Nintendo would just keep Capcom in the past with their retro IPs (and exclusive MH with 10 year old graphics).

Odo

they're making a new game in the series, and releasing several anniversary collections. Its the same amount of care they offer Street Fighter 2, their only game apparently.
I see this as they milking the brand. When was the last time we had a top charted top sold MM game? Unless this changes, I'd say the franchise is dead.

theMightyME

I see this as they milking the brand. When was the last time we had a top charted top sold MM game? Unless this changes, I'd say the franchise is dead.
Except, as fried said, they are making a new entry, so you are objectively wrong no opinions about it unless you want to rephrase "dead" as "diminished" or "weak"

As for Nintendo being the worst of the big 3... No take a look at Microsoft's history with studios

As for your idea that nintendo, or more specifically Miyamoto, would kill off Capcom's mature franchises....

Let's see

1. Resident Evil - 4 was a huge deal on gcn with a limited exclusivity, why would they dislike it

2. Devil May Cry - the spiritual successor to this already murdered franchise is now virtually exclusive to nintendo, and the creator of both game franchises says he is interested in a crossover, making A deal (at the least) with Nintendo the only way to realistically achieve it.

3. Dead Rising - another franchise that is virtually dead already with current entries just outsourced to western 3rd parties

What other games do you speak of

Besides most of Capcom's new franchises are just me too games of little consequence... Meanwhile they have destroyed breath of fire, ghouls and ghosts, darkstalkers, onimusha, and more

The problems with Capcom are at the top, Sony would be hands off and Capcom would dwindle, Microsoft would just gut the company after every decent dev quits until it is unrecognizable, and then 10 years later have bungie make street fighter 6.... Nintendo would breath new life into their classic franchises better manage their resources, and use the companies IP catalog to fill in the holes of their own

Yes we would get amiibo and they would appear in smash which is hardly a bad thing... Appearances in smash brought fire Emblem to the west for example

The only area you have a point in is Nintendo monopolizing they're content, as they would no longer be 3rd party

The problem, though, is that Capcom's issues are in management and I can't think of another publisher that knows how to properly utilize their assets

A sale to a western developer would vertically be identity death for the company.... And in Japan who is big enough to buy them that also has good management

I mean sega had better management than capcom, and their is an arcade connection between the 2 companies, so maybe them... But they aren't really big enough ... Level 5 wouldn't make that kind of acquisition, namco wouldn't either nor would they know what to do with Capcom... Konami? Maybe 20 years ago, but back then it would probably have been the other way around

So here are the legit options I see for a best case scenario

Capcom is bought by a non gaming financial entity who installs a capable new CEO and board, who in turn clears it upper management... But then the question is, who would be capable ... Mainly I think they would be best pacing somebody from nintendo ... Like Koizumi, he could probably reinvent the company

The other option is nintendo themselves, with the only real drawback being nintendo exclusivity... Unless you think Capcom as they are now is awesome in which case you'll be sad to see them ignore dead rising and stop spending way too much on niche franchises by outsourcing them to the west where development budgets are like 4 times what they are in japan.

Nintendo, IMO, is the only company that would be all "y'know, bayonetta had a significantly smaller budget than dmc, and was a significantly better game... So let's keep the series as a mid budget game and maybe have our buddies at platnum handle it since the developers of the original dmc game are all there anyways "

Sony could have been a good pick too, but they have no idea how to handle classic IPS, and they seem to take a hands off approach that wouldn't fix the management issues at capcom

Odo

Except, as fried said, they are making a new entry, so you are objectively wrong no opinions about it unless you want to rephrase "dead" as "diminished" or "weak"

As for Nintendo being the worst of the big 3... No take a look at Microsoft's history with studios

As for your idea that nintendo, or more specifically Miyamoto, would kill off Capcom's mature franchises....

Let's see

1. Resident Evil - 4 was a huge deal on gcn with a limited exclusivity, why would they dislike it

2. Devil May Cry - the spiritual successor to this already murdered franchise is now virtually exclusive to nintendo, and the creator of both game franchises says he is interested in a crossover, making A deal (at the least) with Nintendo the only way to realistically achieve it.

3. Dead Rising - another franchise that is virtually dead already with current entries just outsourced to western 3rd parties

What other games do you speak of

Besides most of Capcom's new franchises are just me too games of little consequence... Meanwhile they have destroyed breath of fire, ghouls and ghosts, darkstalkers, onimusha, and more

The problems with Capcom are at the top, Sony would be hands off and Capcom would dwindle, Microsoft would just gut the company after every decent dev quits until it is unrecognizable, and then 10 years later have bungie make street fighter 6.... Nintendo would breath new life into their classic franchises better manage their resources, and use the companies IP catalog to fill in the holes of their own

Yes we would get amiibo and they would appear in smash which is hardly a bad thing... Appearances in smash brought fire Emblem to the west for example

The only area you have a point in is Nintendo monopolizing they're content, as they would no longer be 3rd party

The problem, though, is that Capcom's issues are in management and I can't think of another publisher that knows how to properly utilize their assets

A sale to a western developer would vertically be identity death for the company.... And in Japan who is big enough to buy them that also has good management

I mean sega had better management than capcom, and their is an arcade connection between the 2 companies, so maybe them... But they aren't really big enough ... Level 5 wouldn't make that kind of acquisition, namco wouldn't either nor would they know what to do with Capcom... Konami? Maybe 20 years ago, but back then it would probably have been the other way around

So here are the legit options I see for a best case scenario

Capcom is bought by a non gaming financial entity who installs a capable new CEO and board, who in turn clears it upper management... But then the question is, who would be capable ... Mainly I think they would be best pacing somebody from nintendo ... Like Koizumi, he could probably reinvent the company

The other option is nintendo themselves, with the only real drawback being nintendo exclusivity... Unless you think Capcom as they are now is awesome in which case you'll be sad to see them ignore dead rising and stop spending way too much on niche franchises by outsourcing them to the west where development budgets are like 4 times what they are in japan.

Nintendo, IMO, is the only company that would be all "y'know, bayonetta had a significantly smaller budget than dmc, and was a significantly better game... So let's keep the series as a mid budget game and maybe have our buddies at platnum handle it since the developers of the original dmc game are all there anyways "

Sony could have been a good pick too, but they have no idea how to handle classic IPS, and they seem to take a hands off approach that wouldn't fix the management issues at capcom
I agree on Microsoft, but I'd rather see them buying Capcom than Nintendo.

Nintendo might not screw things up, yes, as Microsoft could have learnt their lessons and not screw things up either. Who knows? If they're clever, it'd be very good to them and very good to the market, because those IPs could help them staying away from sinking. They also could keep Capcom on PC, Nintendo won't.

Both can do good things and bad things, I guess.

About Nintendo revitalising Breath of Fire and others.. I can't be sure. Nintendo itself has a lot of dead classic IPs. I just don't know about that and I prefer to keep my hope low. Why'd Nintendo bring back classic Capcom franchises? Maybe Microsoft need those franchises more than Nintendo and actually could bring them back. I don't know. Anyway, I don't want any of the big 3 buying Capcom.

I'm on the opinion that not only Nintendo would not bring back all the classics you're waiting for, but would keep Capcom first party, would get rid of all IPs that don't sell, specially the mature ones selling well or not, would kill SF new iterations (I don't see Nintendo keeping a fighting game like SF, they'd stick to Smash), would keep MH in the past, niche forever, and would just put Capcom developers to make Nintendo IP games. Capcom would be eaten and split inside Nintendo corp.

theMightyME

I agree on Microsoft, but I'd rather see them buying Capcom than Nintendo.

Nintendo might not screw things up, yes, as Microsoft could have learnt their lessons and not screw things up either. Who knows? If they're clever, it'd be very good to them and very good to the market, because those IPs could help them staying away from sinking. They also could keep Capcom on PC, Nintendo won't.

Both can do good things and bad things, I guess.

About Nintendo revitalising Breath of Fire and others.. I can't be sure. Nintendo itself has a lot of dead classic IPs. I just don't know about that and I prefer to keep my hope low. Why'd Nintendo bring back classic Capcom franchises? Maybe Microsoft need those franchises more than Nintendo and actually could bring them back. I don't know. Anyway, I don't want any of the big 3 buying Capcom.

I'm on the opinion that not only Nintendo would not bring back all the classics you're waiting for, but would keep Capcom first party, would get rid of all IPs that don't sell, specially the mature ones selling well or not, would kill SF new iterations (I don't see Nintendo keeping a fighting game like SF, they'd stick to Smash), would keep MH in the past, niche forever, and would just put Capcom developers to make Nintendo IP games. Capcom would be eaten and split inside Nintendo corp.
That doesn't track with nintendo though... monolithsoft wasn't forced to make balloon fight, and platinum worked under nintendo on bayonetta 2 and wonderful 101... nitnendo also funded the last story, and pandora's tower, pandora's tower in particular from a studio that only really made anime license games... Rare also flourished under nintendo and then disintegrated under microsoft

and then there is the whole western/japan thing.... capcom beign bought by a western publisher would be the start of identity death and the complete loss of morale, it is just a huge difference in corporate culture...

I think this all comes down to this... you haven't been happy with Nintendo's hardware direction, you don't have a switch seemingly because of this, even though you admit it is an eventuality... so somewhere deep in your lizard brain you see them going to nintendo as you losing capcom games rather then them coming out elsewhere

like the whole idea that nitnendo kills off unsuccesful franchises... when the examples we would primarily use are things like star fox (got a fairly high budget iteration on wii u developed by platinum games) or metroid (had 2 new games announced last e3, one is already out, and the other is super high profile, but we just haven't seen it yet)

nintendo NEVER kills franchises, they just put them on the shelf for a while until they know what to do with them.... that is the important distinction, if nintendo isn't doing something with a franchise it is because they don't know what to do with it yet... capcom, on the other hand, will just completely forget a franchise or iterate it to death without care.... that is the problem, it is why I say that capcom's issues are in management, they are poor shepards of their IP flock.... nintendo is the best IP shepard in the industry

Koenig

The Architect
If Nintendo bought Capcom, BUT let them continue to publish for other platforms; I think that would be the best. (Other than Capcom just being a good publisher again).

Ideally Nintendo would give Capcom the company oversight and developmental insight to improve on some of the aspects their games have been lacking in (And vise verse) while still allowing the company to publish for other systems (Just with multiplatforms coming to Nintendo's system when in reason). There are a TON of capcom IP's that are perfectly suited for Nintendo's systems and fanbase, but they have been neglected in favor of more westernized titles in the past decade or so.

Granted, more studio's the better. Nintendo and Capcom both simply do not have the man power to capitalize on all of their long standing IP at this point.

Last edited:

theMightyME

If Nintendo bought Capcom, BUT let them continue to publish for other platforms; I think that would be the best. (Other than Capcom just being a good publisher again).

Ideally Nintendo would give Capcom the company oversight and developmental insight to improve on some of the aspects their games have been lacking in (And vise verse) while still allowing the company to publish for other systems (Just with multiplatforms coming to Nintendo's system when in reason). There are a TON of capcom IP's that are perfectly suited for Nintendo's systems and fanbase, but they have been neglected in favor of more westernized titles in the past decade or so.

Granted, more studio's the better. Nintendo and Capcom both simply do not have the man power to capitalize on all of their long standing IP at this point.
That is fantasy land, nintendo owning capcom and keeping them multiplatform, it basically takes away any reason for them to own them... But you stumbled, perhaps, into another possibility, capcom could sell off IPs

Then use the money to invest more into the IPs they keep... Like they could sell mega man and darkstalkers and such and then invest that extra money into monster hunter and re7

Though I can't see them doing this either

Odo

That doesn't track with nintendo though... monolithsoft wasn't forced to make balloon fight, and platinum worked under nintendo on bayonetta 2 and wonderful 101... nitnendo also funded the last story, and pandora's tower, pandora's tower in particular from a studio that only really made anime license games... Rare also flourished under nintendo and then disintegrated under microsoft

and then there is the whole western/japan thing.... capcom beign bought by a western publisher would be the start of identity death and the complete loss of morale, it is just a huge difference in corporate culture...

I think this all comes down to this... you haven't been happy with Nintendo's hardware direction, you don't have a switch seemingly because of this, even though you admit it is an eventuality... so somewhere deep in your lizard brain you see them going to nintendo as you losing capcom games rather then them coming out elsewhere

like the whole idea that nitnendo kills off unsuccesful franchises... when the examples we would primarily use are things like star fox (got a fairly high budget iteration on wii u developed by platinum games) or metroid (had 2 new games announced last e3, one is already out, and the other is super high profile, but we just haven't seen it yet)

nintendo NEVER kills franchises, they just put them on the shelf for a while until they know what to do with them.... that is the important distinction, if nintendo isn't doing something with a franchise it is because they don't know what to do with it yet... capcom, on the other hand, will just completely forget a franchise or iterate it to death without care.... that is the problem, it is why I say that capcom's issues are in management, they are poor shepards of their IP flock.... nintendo is the best IP shepard in the industry
Question: What do you mean by Nintendo never kills franchises? You mean that they never make them worse, never spoils them?

F-Zero, for example, is it dead, killed or on the shelf? What about Excite, Advance Wars, Earthbound, Wars, Golden Sun, Wave Race?

I probably need to rephrase "dead", right? So, I'll try to find a better detailed way to describe "dead franchise". For me, if a franchise has no new title for a reasonable number of years and a significant title, I mean reasonable chartered, reasonable reviewed with good sales figures, then this franchise is dead.

There's also the level of it. How dead or how alive is the franchise? If we agree that Mega Man franchise is alive, is it alive like Mario?

There's also the finished franchise, because some disagree that a finished franchise is a dead franchise. Finished franchises are those who had the last game as a final game, there's nothing more to show. But even finished franchises have a brand or a character that can be reused and new stories too. Is finished franchises dead?

Well, I don't know many people that would say that the Mega Man franchise is alive. The same for Excite, Advance Wars, Earthbound, Wars, Golden Sun, Wave Race and F-Zero. However some can be considered finished, like perhaps Golden Sun. About Mega Man, I don't know many when remember when it was the last time they played a new Mega Man game that was worth it. All the last Mega Man games weren't really well received, specially those for DS, and I actually don't remember any core Mega Man since #10 that came out 8 years ago and the game wasn't even really original, it's just the iteration of the same thing.

I can't say that Mega Man is dead just because they announced a new game after all the meltdown of the franchise all these years? Fine, ok, it's not scientifically dead, it's nonsense though, but if I have to find a better way to put it, perhaps, Mega Man is no more a top evolving franchise with popular appeal and a reasonable number of iterations per generation. Is that a better way to put it?

Is there any Nintendo franchise that I can say that is dead? Or should I use on the shelf? For you what's the difference between dead, finished, killed, on hiatus or on the shelf?

What about when the developer don't know what to do with it, like you said about Nintendo. When they don't know what to do with it, then it's not dead? So, if a franchise doesn't have a new title for 15 years, I only can use the word dead if I'm sure that the developer knows what to do with it? Otherwise, If I'm not sure that the developer knows what to do with it, then I can't use the word dead, does it make sense?

Anyway, disagreeing is too exhausting :( I should've shut up.

Can I read this like "It all comes down to the fact that Odo is a sort of Nintendo hater, so obviously he hadn't put any thought on his opinion, he just personally believe that Nintendo would be the worst buyer because of his prejudice", right?

I guess I understand, really. My reputation is already too damaged, lol. That's ok, no hard feelings. I'll keep my acid posts away from now on, I'll behave and put on my gentleman suit up for good.

If you're actually asking me what my lizard brain thinks about it or what is my personal feelings about Capcom and Nintendo, let me know and I can post here.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
Question: What do you mean by Nintendo never kills franchises? You mean that they never make them worse, never spoils them?

F-Zero, for example, is it dead, killed or on the shelf? What about Excite, Advance Wars, Earthbound, Wars, Golden Sun, Wave Race?

I probably need to rephrase "dead", right? So, I'll try to find a better detailed way to describe "dead franchise". For me, if a franchise has no new title for a reasonable number of years and a significant title, I mean reasonable chartered, reasonable reviewed with good sales figures, then this franchise is dead.

There's also the level of it. How dead or how alive is the franchise? If we agree that Mega Man franchise is alive, is it alive like Mario?

There's also the finished franchise, because some disagree that a finished franchise is a dead franchise. Finished franchises are those who had the last game as a final game, there's nothing more to show. But even finished franchises have a brand or a character that can be reused and new stories too. Is finished franchises dead?

Well, I don't know many people that would say that the Mega Man franchise is alive. The same for Excite, Advance Wars, Earthbound, Wars, Golden Sun, Wave Race and F-Zero. However some can be considered finished, like perhaps Golden Sun. About Mega Man, I don't know many when remember when it was the last time they played a new Mega Man game that was worth it. All the last Mega Man games weren't really well received, specially those for DS, and I actually don't remember any core Mega Man since #10 that came out 8 years ago and the game wasn't even really original, it's just the iteration of the same thing.

I can't say that Mega Man is dead just because they announced a new game after all the meltdown of the franchise all these years? Fine, ok, it's not scientifically dead, it's nonsense though, but if I have to find a better way to put it, perhaps, Mega Man is no more a top evolving franchise with popular appeal and a reasonable number of iterations per generation. Is that a better way to put it?

Is there any Nintendo franchise that I can say that is dead? Or should I use on the shelf? For you what's the difference between dead, finished, killed, on hiatus or on the shelf?

What about when the developer don't know what to do with it, like you said about Nintendo. When they don't know what to do with it, then it's not dead? So, if a franchise doesn't have a new title for 15 years, I only can use the word dead if I'm sure that the developer knows what to do with it? Otherwise, If I'm not sure that the developer knows what to do with it, then I can't use the word dead, does it make sense?

Anyway, disagreeing is too exhausting :( I should've shut up.

Can I read this like "It all comes down to the fact that Odo is a sort of Nintendo hater, so obviously he hadn't put any thought on his opinion, he just personally believe that Nintendo would be the worst buyer because of his prejudice", right?

I guess I understand, really. My reputation is already too damaged, lol. That's ok, no hard feelings. I'll keep my acid posts away from now on, I'll behave and put on my gentleman suit up for good.

If you're actually asking me what my lizard brain thinks about it or what is my personal feelings about Capcom and Nintendo, let me know and I can post here.
Your rep is fine and I personally feel no different towards you than the first day you ever posted. When you say something pretty out there tho expect to be questioned tho. You can post how and whenever tho

Koenig

The Architect
That is fantasy land, nintendo owning capcom and keeping them multiplatform, it basically takes away any reason for them to own them...
That seems a little narrow-minded, don't you think? Sure Nintendo could try to monopolize Capcom's IP and limit their sales as a result, but neither company would really benefit from that in the long run due to the overall lost sales. It would be far more efficient for Nintendo to simply ensure that Capcom developed multiplatform games with Nintendo's systems as the base, subsequently limitting the development cost and ensuring that Nintendo's 3rd (2nd?) party library would be less sparse. Again, many of Capcom's long running IP are extremily popular on Nintendo systems, but they have been generally shelved in the past couple decades.

Meanwhile Capcom would certainly benefit from Nintendo's management intervention (Then again, they would benefit from just about ANY companies intervention at this point, save for EA and Konami). Capcom as a publisher is a hot steaming mess, but they still have many talented people working for them that can potentially pump out some of the best games in the industry when given the chance.

Essentially IF Nintendo did buy capcom it would be far better for them to treat them as an independent asset than as a part of Nintendo itself; Not too dissimilar to how the Pokemon company works with Nintendo now, albeit with a more autonomy.

But you stumbled, perhaps, into another possibility, capcom could sell off IPs

Then use the money to invest more into the IPs they keep... Like they could sell mega man and darkstalkers and such and then invest that extra money into monster hunter and re7

Though I can't see them doing this either
I suppose Capcom could sell their dormant IP's to studio's interested in them, although whether or not this would be a good thing depends entirely on what studio or publisher ends up for the IP's in question.

Like you said though, I doubt they will do this either.

theMightyME

Came up with another solution... Capcom could just become an independant developer that doesn't publish... Like platinum games, then they could publish through other publishers, like have nintendo publish monster hunter XX... Hell, maybe they could even get ms AND Sony to publish World 2 for their respective consoles

They would probably be the largest non publisher developer.... And they could rid themselves of most of their management team

why want a manufacturer buy capcom serious, it would be the player in the story that will be loser
Capcom will never be bought by a single manufacturer, there would be too much money lost, especially since they are the king of recycling on all consoles.
Anyway I do not think that a builder will buy Capcom. There is already much too much excluded in all manufacturers. And I can not imagine at all a street fighter excluded Nintendo for example. (microsoft or sony is the same elsewhere).

________________________________________________________________________________
Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
why want a manufacturer buy capcom serious, it would be the player in the story that will be loser
Capcom will never be bought by a single manufacturer, there would be too much money lost, especially since they are the king of recycling on all consoles.
Anyway I do not think that a builder will buy Capcom. There is already much too much excluded in all manufacturers. And I can not imagine at all a street fighter excluded Nintendo for example. (microsoft or sony is the same elsewhere).
It could happen if Capcom felt like they backed themselves into a corner and thought there's more profit in becoming a subsidiary than continuing as they are.

Right now I think they are fine because of Monster Hunter World and Resident Evil 2 Remake, plus the esports money from Street Fighter V. There is also a probably Monster Hunter World Ultimate in the works, which always prints money. Even if the upcoming Devil May Cry bombs, they can absorb the losses.

But this is Capcom we're talking about. They'll find a way to screw it up.