Clash of Elementalists - Review

Cyan

Virtual-on to go!

Clash of Elementals is a $5 downloadable arena fighter on DSi, and 3DS that features boosting, boost canceling, jump canceling, and at least 15 attacks per character. This game is all about mobility, and you get a ton of tools to help you get around the arena. Each of the 4 characters have their own look, and feel for the most part, and the arenas look nice too, though there only seems to be flat ground.

The Graphics and Sound are nice, and the music kinda reminds me of MegaMan X on the SNES, but the Touhou style of the game was a turn off compared to the Robot/Mecha designs of Virtual-On, or Gundam VS. The stages are half and half with two nice looking areas, and two are just uninspired. The game doesn't shine for it's style, or music though.

Controls are the name of the game here, and they are near flawless. With the D-Pad and/or analog stick moving your character (Use the analog stick) and the shoulder buttons handling the 3 styles of attacks (Wide, Normal, and Power) the face buttons are left to handle the utilities like jumping, boosting, and guarding. Each of the three attacks also change based on what state your character is in. standing, guarding, boosting, jumping, and jump boosting all give you a different kind of Wide, Normal, and Power attack each.
Oh, and did I mention that boosting, and jumping can be canceled to add even more depth to the gameplay? Because they can.

Not all is perfect in this game though, there are some flaws to it. For example, characters feel a little similar compared to the unique cast of virtual on, and they don't seem to have specials eather. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what "a" did, and there's no online.

If I had to pay $15 for this game I'd probably have given it a 8/10, but since it's only $5 I'm going to go ahead and give this Clash of Elementals a 9/10.

http://blog.strange-coast.com/clash-of-elementalists-review/

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Great post! I'll give the game a spin soon and report back to this thread. I'll also show it my Virtual On-loving friend and see what he thinks.
Also, would you mind reposting this in the 3DS board as well? I figure people there would appreciate seeing it.

Cyan

Great post! I'll give the game a spin soon and report back to this thread. I'll also show it my Virtual On-loving friend and see what he thinks.
Also, would you mind reposting this in the 3DS board as well? I figure people there would appreciate seeing it.
Is this alright? I kinda wanted to try and keep all the focus in one thread: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/discussion/1246/clash-of-elementals-review-cross-post-from-blogs

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Yeah, it's good. Thanks for taking the time to do that. It seems weird to do it right now, but it will make more sense as we go on and the communities become more specific and self-contained.

Cyan

So apparently the game is called Clash of Elementalists... not Elementals. Can I get a staff member to fix my mistake in the review post, the thread title, and the thread in the 3DS board?

Also the link to the review has changed to: http://blog.strange-coast.com/clash-of-elementalists-review/

Sorry about this.:<

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Did it, sorry it took a while, I hadn't planned on coming back to this thread until I played the game (which I still haven't). I should be able to play this and a bunch of other 3DS/DSiWare titles during the summer, since I won't have a Wii U for that time.

Ex-Actarus

Virtual-on to go!

Clash of Elementals is a $5 downloadable arena fighter on DSi, and 3DS that features boosting, boost canceling, jump canceling, and at least 15 attacks per character. This game is all about mobility, and you get a ton of tools to help you get around the arena. Each of the 4 characters have their own look, and feel for the most part, and the arenas look nice too, though there only seems to be flat ground.

The Graphics and Sound are nice, and the music kinda reminds me of MegaMan X on the SNES, but the Touhou style of the game was a turn off compared to the Robot/Mecha designs of Virtual-On, or Gundam VS. The stages are half and half with two nice looking areas, and two are just uninspired. The game doesn't shine for it's style, or music though.

Controls are the name of the game here, and they are near flawless. With the D-Pad and/or analog stick moving your character (Use the analog stick) and the shoulder buttons handling the 3 styles of attacks (Wide, Normal, and Power) the face buttons are left to handle the utilities like jumping, boosting, and guarding. Each of the three attacks also change based on what state your character is in. standing, guarding, boosting, jumping, and jump boosting all give you a different kind of Wide, Normal, and Power attack each.
Oh, and did I mention that boosting, and jumping can be canceled to add even more depth to the gameplay? Because they can.

Not all is perfect in this game though, there are some flaws to it. For example, characters feel a little similar compared to the unique cast of virtual on, and they don't seem to have specials eather. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what "a" did, and there's no online.

If I had to pay $15 for this game I'd probably have given it a 8/10, but since it's only $5 I'm going to go ahead and give this Clash of Elementals a 9/10.

http://blog.strange-coast.com/clash-of-elementalists-review/
Thanks for this CyanPrime.
As a Virtual On and Megaman fan, I will definity check that one out :)