Companies that recently stated that are "moving to mobile" or "focusing on mobile".

Odo

SEGA

Square Enix

Konami

Tomonobu Itagaki, Valhalla Game Studios

Level-5 (There was no clear statement about that but Fantasy Life and Professor Layton new titles are now exclusive for mobile and two recent Level-5 projects for consoles have been cancelled).

I don't want to jump to conclusions, I just made this list.

PS: I don't know how far those companies are going nor if they'll abandon console business, but the only thing I could see is that once you state that you're going to mobile, all the reactions are good, the media applauses and the market goes up. So, even if you don't go mobile, it's good for business to state that you're "moving to mobile", "focusing on mobile" or "having sex with mobile".

Ex-Actarus

You could add Nintendo, in some capacity of course. And could blame those companies ? NOPE ! Why ?

They all have 1 thing in common : they're Japanese ! And that in Japan, traditional videogames are dying... Just look at the Media Create / Famitsu charts every week, it's shocking how low software and hardware sales. Japanese traditional videogames gamers have moved to Mobile platforms and publishers are doing the same. Period.

I don't think this will happen in the West yet because, we still prefer to play videogames on the big screen. But handhelds are dying for sure in Europe and in the US. The 3DS "only" managed to sell 15 millions unit in the US, that's terribly low for a Nintendo handheld in the US. We're talking 3 or 4 times less units sold than the DS or GBA !!! When was the last time a big western 3rd party devs made a AAA on a handheld ? I can't even remember... Yep, handhelds are meant to die in the West.

Ex-Actarus

*Vomits in mouth*

I feel sick after reading that.
Like it or not ( and I don't either ). Mobile is the future ! Mobile games today are way better than mobile games 5 years ago. Besides with the streaming, you can play on your TV, so you don't lose gameplay quality.

Koenig

The Architect
But mobile games are NOT the future! They are instead an emerging market WITH a future. The mobile market and traditional games market are very much two different entities, albeit ones with potential for some overlap for certain games. I am all for any developer or publisher who want to take advantage of the situation and cultivate the mobile market, but anyone who cannot make the distinction between the two should not be in the position to make decisions. Abandoning traditional games and blindly chasing after the mobile market is a mistake that far to many publishers have already made, and it has always ended up poorly for them.

Likewise, shoehorning existing game franchises onto mobile devices is a terrible idea. The mobile platform(s) are fundamentally different in terms of both hardware and interface, and subsequently so too should the games made for them be. Granted, some types of games (such as the Professor Layton series) are similar enough that they can be adapted easily; however that is not a valid reason to abandon traditional handhelds and systems that are proven to be a valid market already.

Ex-Actarus

Mobile is the Future. It's undeniable.

@Odo first post was pretty self explanatory, pretty much ALL the big Japanese developers moved on mobile platform. Why ? Because people do not buy home console !!! They had not other choice. The mobile market is changing at an incredible pace. Publishers and console makers need to adapt to that structural change, or they will die ! Japan is just - as usual - just years ahead of what will happen in the future.

Traditional videogames are meant to die ! This is maybe the last traditional videogames gen.The Nvidia Shield is the best example of the future of gaming. A small portable device with powerful specs and streaming features. Sony was very adamant that the PS5 could be a Cloud console ; they certainly not spend half a billion just to allow gamers to rent games online... We don't know what NX is yet, but Nintendo said it's a "new concept". With the partnership with DeNa and the rumors of a Android OS, it's pretty much a given that NX will try to take advantages from the mobile market in some capacity. Microsoft is focusing all its corp strategy on Cloud. Office 365 is its fastest growing line if business. Believe, Gaming is next. By the way, we just had a sneak peak of what's coming with Xbox One games streaming on Oculus Rift...

3 major revolutions will accelerate the death of traditional gaming to :

Mobile
I used to work for a big PC manufacturers, so trust me, I've seen first hand the impact of mobile "traditional" devices. Mobile devises are killing PCs : they are more practical and are becoming more powerful, so much so that they will replace PCs in the future. Besides, with more than billion devices out there, no traditional gaming device will ever compete in business potential.

Cloud
Everything is going Cloud and Gaming will definitely follow that trend. As I mentioned earlier, Sony and Microsoft are already involved in the Cloud business in some capacity. Amazon, arguably the biggest and best Cloud infrastructure on the planet, is increasing its presence in gaming ( with Fire TV and a first party development team ).

Streaming
Streaming is changing EVERYTHING. Services are Netflix and Spotify have completely changed the landscape of the traditional TV and Music business. Giants as Disney, NBC and Apple are reacting with their own Streaming services that are threatening their own empire ( Cable and Itunes ).

I'm not saying that this transition will happen in 2015. But don't be surprised if in 2020/2022, Fifa is only available on mobile and streaming devices...

Source : http://www.ibtimes.com/sony-corpora...ming-could-be-physical-or-cloud-based-1764042

Odo

You could add Nintendo, in some capacity of course. And could blame those companies ? NOPE ! Why ?

They all have 1 thing in common : they're Japanese ! And that in Japan, traditional videogames are dying... Just look at the Media Create / Famitsu charts every week, it's shocking how low software and hardware sales. Japanese traditional videogames gamers have moved to Mobile platforms and publishers are doing the same. Period.

I don't think this will happen in the West yet because, we still prefer to play videogames on the big screen. But handhelds are dying for sure in Europe and in the US. The 3DS "only" managed to sell 15 millions unit in the US, that's terribly low for a Nintendo handheld in the US. We're talking 3 or 4 times less units sold than the DS or GBA !!! When was the last time a big western 3rd party devs made a AAA on a handheld ? I can't even remember... Yep, handhelds are meant to die in the West.
I wouldn't add Nintendo because Nintendo is adding mobile to its ecosystem. I don't see it right now like a company focus. Nintendo's focus is still its hardware/software.

*Vomits in mouth*

I feel sick after reading that.
Yeah, me too. I'm playing Professor Layton right now and that game is a pure gem.

Odo

One point is real: users

It seems like people want to play mobile. A lot of people now don't care about graphics and just want to play games when they commute. A lot of kids are growing without consoles at all and parents are glad, because they prefer giving them mobile devices with tons of free games than buying a console and lots of $60 games.

There's another two points:

Mobile cpu power is growing and cloud/streaming is growing. I believe that we're going to see beautiful and high processing power consuming games on mobile powered by cloud and the growing power of the devices.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that it's going to kill consoles. 20 years ago people said that PCs would kill consoles. They didn't. What mobile is creating now is competition and I'd say a good form of competition because mobile is shaking the console industry in a way that PCs didn't 20 years ago, because now we've got FTP games.

This is hitting consoles very hard, but I think Nintendo is the one that will survive best, because Nintendo is the only one who can create their own games while Sony and Microsoft may see many of their 3rd parties just going mobile as soon as our new iPads become as powerful as a PS4/X1.

Interesting discussion.

I doubt that all companies will ditch consoles, to make games exclusively for mobile devices. That would be a bad move businesswise. The smart move would be to make some games for consoles, and some for mobile devices.

Also, the games and types of games available on the mobile game stores, don't always appeal to every gamer either.

Another thing is, the mobile game stores are also flooded, with alot of crappy games and low budget cheap knock offs, of other games as well. But despite that, there are alot of good games, and good playable knock offs, up there on the mobile game stores too.

Also, not everyone likes playing games, on small mobile device screens. Alot of people prefer playing games, on large or semi large TV screens that can support lots of colours. Me, I don't care. I'll play games on a big screen or a small screen anyday.

Last edited: