CoV Presents: Halloween Thread 3 Resurrection - The October Armageddon Reloaded Chronicles

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I picked up Carrie and was very tempted to pick up It. Slap a hard cover on that and you could beat a man senseless. I'm thinking of getting Pet Semetary as well.
Carrie, It, and Pet Semetary are all excellent.
Also, The Stand. And if you've read The Shining, you need to read "Doctor Sleep", especially if it hasn't been too long since you've read the Shining since it references a lot from that book.

Others of mention are Under the Dome (which in hard back is a lethal weapon), Misery, 11/22/63, Needful Things, The Eyes of the Dragon.
Also, the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. Just amazing.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Doesn't the Evil Within 2 come out today? Damn, will I have to buy it on my brother's PS4?

Edit: I remembered that Dual Analog controls are a thing I'd have to put up with on a PS4, so never mind. I'll just have to fix my PC at some point.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

Okay, so Happy Death Day was fantastic! Written by Scott Lobdell, responsible for Uncanny x-Men 285-350 (the Golden Age of X-Men). It was funny and made me jump. Good acting.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
For jump scares I thought Final Destination was great, and it was a pretty decent flick also.

I grew up in a “Nightmare on Elm Street” family. We scoffed if it wasn’t Freddy cause he was the baddest of the bad.

Doesn't the Evil Within 2 come out today? Damn, will I have to buy it on my brother's PS4?

Edit: I remembered that Dual Analog controls are a thing I'd have to put up with on a PS4, so never mind. I'll just have to fix my PC at some point.
I bought Evil Within 1 today. Haven't started yet though

PS4 analogue sticks are fine. Had zero problems playing Doom on it. PS3 now? I'm replaying Wolfenstein and it's definitely an adjustment.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Managed to sneak a viewing of The Babadook into this past Friday the 13th. A pretty good horror flick, very clever and firmly in the tradition of psychological horror. Effective at building a sense of tense foreboding.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there was something about certain scenes that seemed too clean or "produced". The appearances of the deceased husband lacked a sinister vibe, the way she is pulled back at the end (as opposed to the end itself) seemed too modern, even the scenes of her falling/floating into bed with the shattered glass from the accident. While they largely refrained from showing too much of the Babadook, I'm not sure the very quick snappy movements of the CG black shape twisting onto her overhead light fixture was the way to go - the jerk motion twitch editing is played out for me in general, but in action and horror especially. Overall the film worked well, but there was something ever so slightly holding it back from being on another level for me.

Last edited:
Started up Costume Quest. Pretty adorable game. Reminds me of Earthbound and South Park: Stick of Truth in that it's kids being kids and adults are the weird/crazy ones. You go around trick or treating and the adults always say something bizarre but the kids just accept it.

It has that timeless nostalgic feeling about it which is why I get reminded of Earthbound and South Park. Just kids saving the day while the parents are the oblivious juveniles.

sjmartin79

Started Stardew Valley last night. I'm pretty sure that guy Shane is a serial killer. I'm waiting for the twist.
(Or I could just be reading something into his antisocial behavior that isn't there.)

sjmartin79

Last night we watched the Netflix adaptation of the Stephen King novel "Gerald's Game"
It was extremely well done, masterfully acted, and had great Easter Eggs to other of King's work.
I never did finish the book, but there were definitely things in the movie I didn't see coming.
It's more psychological than anything else, but in the end still counts towards a Halloween watch.
Definitely worth your time.

While not really Halloween related, I just finish my replay of Wolfenstein the New Order. I think we can all agree Nazis are pretty scary. I mean, they're definitely up there on the list of "things I don't want to be in the same room with".

Once I get Costume Quest done, it's on to The Evil Within.

My friend works at a university and part of his job is to get students aware of a coffee shop on campus. Last year he tried a weekly trivia night but it didn't do much. This year he's gonna do movie nights. He got a 100 inch projector screen. This Monday it's The Thing, than the following Monday it's The Shining. I'm not a student there but I'll be going for support and whatnot. I can totally fit in with the youth of today.

Finished watching Inferno, which just leaves Mother Of Tears left to go in the "Three Mothers" trilogy. That's gonna be interesting.
Quite liked the movie. Pretty similar to Suspiria especially in its plotting (in that there is kinda none). Clunky dialogue is overshadowed by the visuals and dreamlike, sometimes fairytale-ish, style of the movie. Saw it in HD so it really popped when it needed to. Pretty cool but not the best.
Again, the theme for the movie is great. I like Suspiria's more but this is no slouch.

And the ending was unfortuneately goofy due to budget? I improved it slightly. Spoilers but not really because, like I said, vague plot.

The last movie in the trilogy I've heard a lot of buzz about because of its late arrival and it hasnt been all good. Will keep an open mind. After all that though, very interested in seeing Deep Red.

Finished Costume Quest as well, a nice enjoyable game. Some lines of dialogue made me laugh. The end scene where they're all sitting down on the floor with the candy pile between them and they take turns picking what they want really brought me back to being a kid.

I said it before, but I do lump this with Earthbound and South Park SoT as timeless nostalgia.

Finished up the trilogy last night.
Mother of Tears was bad. Well, hmmm, yeah but not offensively so. It was just incredibly generic looking, not at all as stylish or beautiful as the previous two films. It looks like your typical direct-to-video horror. They went for substance instead, doubling down on the lore and plot, which was a mistake. Because of how direct it was, the plotholes, conveniences and thematic betrayals become very apparent. Quite a few things are set up clumsily and never get any payoff, and the ending is so damn awkward and sudden. Which I guess is kinda keeping true with how the other films ended, but they didnt even burn down a building like in those movies, smh.

They also went more into gore effects, which can be fun if you can stomach 3 counts of infanticide.

would be remiss to not post the movie's theme, which aint my thing either

Overall, still better than Mother!

Gonna watch Deep Red tonight if I can nab a bluray from my cousin. I dont think its exactly horror though, I'll find out soon enough.

sjmartin79

So for the past three weeks, I’ve been rehearsing a number and putting together my costume for a Burlesque show I performed in tonight.

I’ve never done Burlesque before, but we go to the show every month. The emcee and I are friends, and she and I began plotting out an act months ago, and it worked perfectly tonight for the Halloween show.

Was definitely a fun experience, and she and I got a ton of applause at the end.

Now my next task is to find a Halloween costume for work, because I can’t wear what I wore tonight. Lol

Also, if you guys have never seen a Burlesque show, I have to say it is one of the sexiest live performances you’ll see. Most bigger cities or even medium size cities have troups. Go check it out.

I think a few burlesque shows happen around here sometimes, but I never hear of them.

Glad you had a good time. Makes me jealous how it seems other places take Halloween more seriously than here. The haunted houses Repo mentioned is another example.

Fucking Newfoundland.

Got a few chapters in The Evil Within and I'm really enjoying it. Brings back pleasant (or is that horrific?) memories of Resident Evil 4 and to a lesser extent Shadows of the Damned. I just love Shinji Mikami's over-the-shoulder games.

My favorite part of Resident Evil 4 is the village/woods area. So for TEW to start off with a similar setting just makes me happy. I get my ass kicked sometimes, the last boss I fought took around 5 or so tries, but never got frustrated. I heard the lack of ammo was a huge problem, but honestly there are ways around it. You can craft bolts for the crossbow and there are traps to use. Lure enemies near a motion bomb and shoot it, or pull a lever to make nails fall from the ceiling. All else fails, shoot them in the legs and burn them using a match, and if you're lucky enough you can burn multiple enemies at once. The first few areas also had stealth sections, but they seem to have disappeared lately, maybe they'll make a return soon.

I am having a great time with it, but my one problem is the story, in that what is the story? Other horror games like Silent Hill 2 can be confusing, but stuff happened in it. People talk about what they're doing or seeing, but so far in this game there's little to go on. You and a few cops get called to a hospital, there are corpses all over the place. Then the city falls apart and you wake up in the woods. You find a few people but most of the conversation is "we have to get out of here". Most documents are either about the hospital or some guy doing brain experiments. Throughout the game the world changes, i.e. a doorway you just walked in is now a solid wall. There is also a guy who keeps popping up every now and then who seems to be in control of the monsters

There are hints of a story, but no one talks about it. It's always "we have to escape" or "are you okay?".

That said, writing it all down and thinking about it, maybe that's the point of the story, piece it together for yourself and actually think about it. Since I written all that, I'm starting to understand it a bit more now. Well played Mikami, well played.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
That said, writing it all down and thinking about it, maybe that's the point of the story, piece it together for yourself and actually think about it. Since I written all that, I'm starting to understand it a bit more now. Well played Mikami, well played.
It really does reveal itself to you little by little, and you still have to really think about it. I did like it a lot by the time I finished the game.

It really does reveal itself to you little by little, and you still have to really think about it. I did like it a lot by the time I finished the game.
Did you find all of the audio logs and documents? There seems to be a lot in the game and I doubt I can find them all in one playthrough. Are they absolutely necessary to understand?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Did you find all of the audio logs and documents? There seems to be a lot in the game and I doubt I can find them all in one playthrough. Are they absolutely necessary to understand?
I don't remember finding everything, but no, the story makes sense to you by the end. At least for me it made sense because I'd just read a manga that dealt with something similar.

Ultra Heaven, by the way, is a phenomenal trippy read. I'm not sure if it's appropriate for Halloween, though. It's more of a psychedelic sci-fi.

sjmartin79

The "Halloween" series is my favorite horror franchise. And we watch two of three of them every Halloween season. This year, we decided to go with the Love them or Hate them Rob Zombie remakes.

I don't hate them. And they were enjoyable for what they were. I do believe the first one spent too much time with Michael as a child.
I'm super excited about Halloween 2018 next year. Halloween H20 ignored Halloween 3-6, then had it's own sequel with Resurrection.
Now Halloween 2018 allegedly ignores everything after Halloween 2 and is a direct sequel to that.

H20 could have fixed the continuity in a few simple sentences in the scene where Jamie Lee Curtis is telling her boyfriend about her past.
Now we are left with 3 Halloween Timelines
Timeline 1: Halloween 1-6
Timeline 2: Halloween 1, 2, H20, Resurrection (The Jamie Lee Curtis Timeline)
Timeline 3: Halloween 1, and Halloween 2018 (The new Jamie Lee Curtis Timeline, removing the Brother/Sister connection)

Last edited:
Also not impressed right now. Halloween party is Saturday, my idea was to make a bunch of scar wax and make scratches all over my face and maybe arms, put some makeup on it to make it look deep and fake blood.

Tried making the scar wax tonight for a test run, didn't work out. Fuck damn I need a new idea. I really wouldn't want to go as last year's costume.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Also not impressed right now. Halloween party is Saturday, my idea was to make a bunch of scar wax and make scratches all over my face and maybe arms, put some makeup on it to make it look deep and fake blood.

Tried making the scar wax tonight for a test run, didn't work out. Fuck damn I need a new idea. I really wouldn't want to go as last year's costume.
Could you make the wax look more like worms or bugs crawling in your skin?

That kinda stuff creeps me out heavily

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I don't think so. I tried a few times, first time wouldn't stick to my face, second time wouldn't blend in without tearing, etc etc.

Only idea I got is this handsome son of a bitch

You can pull this off no problem. The only thing scary tho is how many women you will have to satisfy that great hollows eve

sjmartin79

Obviously, I'm more of a Nightmare on Elm Street man myself.
Love Nigthmare on Elm Street. Second favorite horror series. Except number 2. That was just some weird, oddly homoerotic, poorly written bullshit.

Can you find any liquid latex skin? I used it on Halloween a few years ago. Tears well. Makeup blends well and blood sticks to it.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Managed to sneak a viewing of It Follows into my week. It's alright. Evocative of teen slashers (without the slasher part) and with a slight hint of that era in Japanese horror from a decade and a half ago (think: Ringu). The lion's share of the thought definitely went into developing the central all-encompassing metaphor (and you name it, they ran with it - not just the obvious STD thing either, but sexual assault, grappling with people looking at you sexually, where you stand in a sex appeal hierarchy, settling, Freudian shit, how you cope with what's been done to you vs how you go on to treat others etc etc). That apparently left little thought remaining for the execution of quite a number of scenes - which didn't seem to make a lot of sense at times. All in all I'd say it's better than most, but also non-essential horror viewing - probably of greater appeal to those who really like teen-cast horror films, as it's a bit of a change of pace from the slashers.

An adaptation of Stephen King's 1922 has appeared on Netflix. @sjmartin79 are you familiar with the source material? Any plans to watch it?

Apparently there's a new horror anthology show in the works called Tales for a Halloween Night, with John Carpenter coming out of retirement to do the pilot episode (it's based on his horror comic anthology by the same name). Interesting. I am always hungry for well-made Sci Fi or Horror anthology series, let's hope this scratches the itch.

The countdown is getting closer. I'm ready for Poltergeist and my staple line up on Halloween night. Pumpkin carving this weekend. No costume this year (will make up for it next year).

Off to the haunted house tonight, I'm torn between wanting them to have changed it up a bit for the sake of variety - and yet they nailed it all so perfectly last year I can immediately name a dozen things I'd want them to keep exactly the same. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Prince Of Darkness, speaking of Carpenter, is pretty damn good. Saw that for the first time a few months ago and enjoyed it. Simple grossout moments and a script that blends scifi and theology in weird ways. Other than like Halloween 3, its one of the only films of his that I liked :^)

Cult of Chucky is out in Netflix, I saw it back when it leaked. Its got lots more blood and gore than the last movie but also doubles down on lore, which was more disappointing than good. Very unsatisfying ending that I think is leading to a sequel but sucked for this movie alone.

There's a "vampire" movie thats been advertised around here ad nauseum called The Transfiguration. It was filmed in the city so thats why.
Its also on Netflix now. Ok, its probably actual quality but I found it to be dreadfully boring. Its unfortunate, because its kind of a blend between George Romero's Martin and Fresh (my favorite film ever), but nowhere near as engaging as either. The camerawork is plain but it tries to come off as artsy and thoughtful by being very bleak and depressing.
Which I guess describes the nyc culture very well, so kudos.

Been playing The Evil Within all week, but not flat out or anything, usually two chapters a night, but today was only one part of Chapter 10. I'm pretty much head over heels with it. Chapter 9 was a standout, it legitimately put me on edge and made me tense.

Tonight I went out to a local film festival. It was 20 short movies (5 minutes-ish each), and I'm guessing there was a pool of props/themes they had to pick from. For example, a lot of these had a hook as a prop, or the line "where is it?". I didn't enjoy most of these. I get it, it's local made, and another thing was you only had 48 hours to make and submit it. Some of them were pretty good, well made and paced, some of them were a complete mess of ideas and plot, some were just bland as hell.

Some were actually made by kids. One of them made by teenagers had the best makeup effects of the bunch I think. The very first one I thought started out pretentious, then eventually won me over and was starting to get creepy, then it threw a curve ball and the whole thing was a setup for a joke. I loved it, the comedic timing and the face of the guy was absolutely perfect. Another personal favorite was just a narration over a drawing of a man in a fishing boat, with cut out fish, sharks and monsters being use as shadow puppets. Very good.

Ultimately, by the half way point, I was over it. Some of them were pretty awful, some made no sense. Again, I understand the time limit and restrictions of "backyard" movies, but some in the later half just made me want to leave. Oh well.

Tomorrow I might help a friend decorate his place for the Halloween party that's on Saturday. I'm gonna try and make some brain cupcakes too.

Went over to a friend's last night, he's the one throwing the party so I helped him decorate with his girlfriend and a few others. We ended up just watching Friday the 13th part 6: Jason Lives. Everyone else went home and his girlfriend fell asleep, so it was just watching it and cracking jokes at it. It's nice when you have a fun movie like this and not actually plan to watch a movie in earnest like so many other times.

Also, first day off in awhile, Evil Within before the party. Hell yeah.

For the past week or two, my lower back has very slowly gotten more painful. Today of all days it's at it's worst so far, I'm hunched over and can't stand up straight.

So I put on a icy hot patch, popped a tylenol, and lied down with a pillow underneath my back. Fell asleep for a bit, now I'm feeling better but still a bitch stiff. Life really doesn't want me to enjoy this party tonight.

sjmartin79

We got so behind on TV this week, we spent yesterday trying to clean up the DVR while playing Mario Odyssey.

Today though, it’s a gloomy windy day, and we’re having a horror movie marathon all fucking day!!!!!!!! (While still playing Odyssey because it is amazing)

Happy Death Day is actually good. Although I heard the dude wants to make a sequel, which would be actually bad.
Gonna watch Murder Party tonight, a movie I totally did not work on or was a part of so I probably will be very unbiased in my views of it.

Party was fun. I was really proud of my makeup, but I underestimated how dark it would be so except for the bloody bruise, it was barely noticeable, so most people only saw a blood smear on my cheek. Shit.

Since my back wasn't the best, most of my night was on the couch watching Brain Dead and Friday the 13th part 4 and 5. Was still fun, as there was always people in the living room to shoot the shit with, but the actual party party was in the other parts of the house.

Just finished The Evil Within. What a game. I feel like Chapter 10 and 11 were the lowest points, but even so overall the game is wonderful. If I didn't have other games to play I feel like I'd immediately jump in for another playthrough.

Back when Resident Evil 4 came out, it was all I played. Back then, I didn't get games nearly as often as what I do now, so I'd make each game count and must have replayed it up to 10 times in high school, with a few more playthroughs in college. Now where I'm financially stable enough to get games more often, once I beat a game it's on to the next, then next, etc. It seems like every console generation there was at least one game I'd play to death: Super Mario World, Ocarina of Time, and Resident Evil 4. Once I moved out on my own that seemed to change.

I bring that up because Evil Within is in the same category as Wolfenstein: The New Order and Doom (2016) as games if I had in high school I would repeatedly play over and over like those older ones. Just really solid games that remind me, despite all the bullshit going on today with microtransactions, loot boxes, overpriced season passes, EA, that there are still video games worth praise and made with passion rather than greed.