CoV's Little Shop of Horrors (Halloween Megathread for Cool People)

Wasn't sure if I was gonna do this again. Seems like most people moved on over to Discord. Even I haven't been posting anywhere much these days. But fuck all that, it doesn't feel right. Even if it's just me here talking to myself.

Had an early start this year, started playing Castlevania Circle of the Moon which I just beaten. Solid entry but the fight with Dracula is probably one of my least favorites.

I bought a 30 movie box set of the old Universal monster movies from Dracula to the last Creature from the Black Lagoon sequel. Gonna start tomorrow probably, got tied up with Castlevania tonight.

Also started reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde today. It's well written and different than what I expected. Everyone knows the story but it's actually building it like a mystery and so far the reader isn't suppose to know they connection. I bought a nice copy of Dracula a few months ago so I'm probably gonna squeeze it in too.

My local theater is playing Ghostbusters this weekend and the original Halloween sometime later so I want to check them out. I hear the new Halloween is actually good so I'll probably go there too.

Finally, last night before bed I watched Michael Jackson's Thriller and I could not stop smiling. My favorite kind of horror stuff is fun horror, usually from the 70's-80's. Before CGI, great practical effects with half crap actors giving their all and having fun. Most people hate Friday the 13th Jason Takes Manhattan but I fucking love it. It's this style that makes me love Thriller so much more than just being an awesome music video.

So what's up TNE? Any plans? Whatchu watching/playing/reading/dressing up as? Feel free to post anything related to this. I'll be here updating with everything I do. Last year's thread got to page 3, let's do it again - this may be the last time this happens if the forums die this year.

FriedShoes

MLG
I plan on playing the Resident Evil 4 HD fan project at some point, but if I cant manage that I'll go through the only other classic, Dead Space 1.
If anyone wants to play Left 4 Dead on Steam this month, I'm very open to that, miss that game.

Movies and TV are gonna be more my thing, per usual, with the season. Have gone through all of American Horror Story, which are mostly bad but sometimes surprising and entertaining. Netflix has some stuff I'm looking forward to. Castlevania Season 2 and Sabrina. Murder Party is already on it, which I'm not gonna say is a good movie, but I am in the credits so if you hate it we can no longer be friends. I saw The VVitch again last night, which aint too spooky but the crow-feeding scene still disturbs me. Netflix's library is otherwise mostly trash
Hulu has a more fun collection, currently watching Pumpkinhead.

Pumpkinhead is a pretty good time.

I should rewatch Castlevania Season 1 before 2 hits.

I do own Left 4 Dead so I can probably play some. I'm not that good at it. Never did sink a lot of time into it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I used to play a lot of Left 4 Dead back in 2009 (holy shit, it's been nearly 10 years). I'd be down for getting it on again. I also have Left 4 Dead 2, but something about that one didn't click very well with me. I liked the simplicity of the first one.

The local film club has a ton of spooky movies programmed for this month. There's a bunch of Dario Argento in there, other giallo movies, some Japanese gothic horror stuff, Terminator and the Thing, and other stuff like that, so I'll be trying to hit up as much of that as possible.

I thought about doing another run through my "Halloween" backlog on Steam, but I don't know yet. It's a lot of time spent on games that aren't necessarily great. Maybe I'll catch Evil Within 2 on sale and play that, if my PC can handle it.

I've been on a novel kick lately, so maybe I'll find a good horror novel. I never finished Bram Stoker's Dracula novel, so maybe I'll do that (and watch the Coppola movie again).

Finally, I really want to get around to doing more of the kind of thing that truly spooks people like me...opening Notepad and doing some writing. :mnerv::mnerv::mnerv::mnerv:

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I'm playing Circle of the Moon as well (just beat Adramalech). (I had forgotten how much I hate the bloody....bloody swords)

Prime 2 counts as spooky, right?

praisegrima

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Well, if the JC is playing CotM, I might have to, too. I dig everything about that game...except Dracula. As a boss, he is built of sorrow, nightmares, and thrown controllers.

But first, due to someone being a swell human being who made my week, I think I'm gonna get to play Symphony of the Night on Vita TV. I have only played like 10-15 minutes of it in passing. I can't wait to play it properly.

Castlevania season two on Netflix is something I'll marathon as soon as it lands.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@CitizenOfVerona Interesting that you recommended me Salem's Lot. I'd been reading Stephen King's On Writing, and I thought I should go back and read something else from him. Only other things I've read from him are It and The Dead Zone, and I liked both.

I know @mattavelle1 is also a big Stephen King fan, any other recommendations?

@CitizenOfVerona Interesting that you recommended me Salem's Lot. I'd been reading Stephen King's On Writing, and I thought I should go back and read something else from him. Only other things I've read from him are It and The Dead Zone, and I liked both.

I know @mattavelle1 is also a big Stephen King fan, any other recommendations?
Carrie and Mr. Mercedes are also good reads. Mr. Mercedes is more of a cop story but still really good. Shining was interesting but I need to read it again. Also Pet Semetary legit gave me a few days worth of anxiety, as a result my copy is in my bedroom closet where I don't have to look at it. Take that for what you will.

I know @sjmartin79 can chime in as well.

I finished Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Really good read, I loved the last chapter (no spoilers).

I also did a double feature of Dracula and Frankenstein from 1931. Like the books, I liked Dracula more. The characters were more interesting and it flowed a lot better. Frankenstein kinda felt like it stopped for a bit to watch a village dance in celebration. Dwight Frye was a stand out as Renfield in Dracula, and Colin Clive did make a good Victor...sorry, Henry Frankenstein. For whatever reason they swapped Victor's and Henry's name from the novels. Good ol' Universal.

Another stand out part is when a father is carrying his dead daughter through the streets. For 1931 that must have been some hardcore shit.

I decided to watch these movies in order of the year they came out rather than series by series. I want to see how not only these movies evolve but how Universal and movies in general got more ambitious as time went on where the movie makers took more risks, got more comfortable/inventive with camera work and with bigger budgets. Next up is The Mummy.

Just watched The Mummy (the 1933 one) and I enjoyed it. I think Dracula is still my favorite so far, but seeing as how Dracula is also my favorite book I'm a bit biased.

There's some unintentional humor what with the main hero (who actually does fuck all) falling in love with the main lady inside of five minutes. Boris Karloff is the star here, no surprise. He just has that draw and the makeup work is fantastic. There's an impaling scene that must have been shocking as all hell for 1930's audiences.

We're spoiled in today's world of entertainment.

FriedShoes

MLG
I saw The Fly (Jeff Goldblum one) for the first time ever. Not the best script or ending, but ew, some horrifying effects. Honestly it would work better as an opera/musical. It is kinda structured and ends like Phantom, but with a main character that is a super fucking weirdo.

There's this anthology series on Netflix that just premiered, Creeped Out. Awful. I only saw one episode, but if thats the quality you can expect, yikes. Terrible acting, terrible script, terrible message (hurr, compupers bad). Really annoying watch.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Carrie and Mr. Mercedes are also good reads. Mr. Mercedes is more of a cop story but still really good. Shining was interesting but I need to read it again. Also Pet Semetary legit gave me a few days worth of anxiety, as a result my copy is in my bedroom closet where I don't have to look at it. Take that for what you will.

I know @sjmartin79 can chime in as well.
I love Stephen King books! (So yes, I have to chime in.)
Of the older set, must-reads are Carrie, Pet Semetary, It, The Stand, Salem's Lot, Misery, The Shining, Needful Things, Eyes of the Dragon
Of the new-er set, must reads include Duma Key, Under the Dome, Mr. Mercedes (whole trilogy), Dr. Sleep (sequel to The Shining), 11/22/63

The above lists are not in order or preference or by which I think are the best. Just listing them off the top of my head.

sjmartin79

Since October has started, it's time for us to binge Horror Movies like it's our job.

I decided to start with one that I didn't like in the theaters, but so many others have raved about that I decided to give it a second chance...

It Follows

I have to say, I definitely enjoyed it more this time.
Still not a favorite, but very original, and has a few good scares.

sjmartin79

(Apologies for the multi-post, but I haven't been on this week, and I feel like I need to catch up)

So, for gaming, currently playing Resident Evil Revelations on the Switch. Just feels appropriate for October.

Just finished Danganropa 2 on the PS4.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
(Apologies for the multi-post, but I haven't been on this week, and I feel like I need to catch up)

So, for gaming, currently playing Resident Evil Revelations on the Switch. Just feels appropriate for October.

Just finished Danganropa 2 on the PS4.
Never apologize for the multi post when there so packed with Sjm!!! Go on get them post off ya chest lol

sjmartin79

Never apologize for the multi post when there so packed with Sjm!!! Go on get them post off ya chest lol
Okay, then one last one for today.

So, back when I was living in Cincinnati, my friend Samantha (who loves all things horror and Halloween) invited all of us over to her apartment for a new scary movie she had heard about that had just come out on DVD so she rented it.

She wouldn't tell us what it was, other than that it was an actor you wouldn't normally think of as doing scary movies starring in a ghost movie.

She had me intrigued, and her taste in movies was usually impeccable, so of course I went.

Imagine my surprise when she dimmed the lights and turned on the movie and it ended up being...

Yeah, Charlie St. Cloud. A stupid Zac Efron movie where his brother dies and the ghost of his brother teaches him life lessons or some shit like that. I've never seen it.
Needless to say, we stopped the movie and explained to her what it actually was and that maybe she should pay more attention to the trailers.
We ended up watching The Devil's Rejects instead.

Been playing a pretty scary game the last few days. It's unlike any other horror I've played before, personally.

Mario Kart Super Circuit, hot damn the handling in this game is slippery. I swear the desert stages are programmed differently than the rest and it makes them harder than Rainbow Road.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Been playing a pretty scary game the last few days. It's unlike any other horror I've played before, personally.

Mario Kart Super Circuit, hot damn the handling in this game is slippery. I swear the desert stages are programmed differently than the rest and it makes them harder than Rainbow Road.
That game gave me so many headaches as a kid.

I saw Ghostbusters in theater the weekend, no matter how many times I see it I notice a little something extra, a visual gag I missed or something in the set. They're playing Psycho this weekend and I believe Halloween next or the week after. Tempted to go to all of them.

I also started Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2. Like the first one, I find the beginning weirdly paced but it seems to be going at a good clip now. Just fought the Gorgon and I really loved that design even if the fight was standard "upper half of giant monster in a pit that swings it's fists at you". Oh well. I also really love the soundtracks of these games even if they're vastly different than non-LoS 'Vanias. This is no Rondo of Blood but it's still epic.

sjmartin79

I saw Ghostbusters in theater the weekend, no matter how many times I see it I notice a little something extra, a visual gag I missed or something in the set. They're playing Psycho this weekend and I believe Halloween next or the week after. Tempted to go to all of them.

I also started Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2. Like the first one, I find the beginning weirdly paced but it seems to be going at a good clip now. Just fought the Gorgon and I really loved that design even if the fight was standard "upper half of giant monster in a pit that swings it's fists at you". Oh well. I also really love the soundtracks of these games even if they're vastly different than non-LoS 'Vanias. This is no Rondo of Blood but it's still epic.

I saw Ghostbusters in the theaters a few years ago, when they released the HD remaster for the anniversary. I remember seeing it in the theater when I was little, and such a treat to see it on the big screen again.

I've seen both Psycho and Halloween in theaters, and I can definitely suggest you go see it. No matter how many times you've seen them, it's such a different experience in the theater.

sjmartin79

I fully admit that even as I approach 40, the shows on the WB and the CW appeal to me, even though they are aimed at a much younger audience. And since the remake of Charmed was premiering last night, we decided to hit up netflix for a look back at my favorite trio of witches from the original. The original suffers from the same "special effects" problem as Buffy did during that time, but the plots were engaging.

The new Charmed had a lot to live up to for fans. While many things are the same (Power of 3, Sisters, demons), some things were definitely changed around (location, set up). And adding in science with the magic was a nice touch.

Will never rate on a scary scale, but it feels right for it to premiere now before Halloween.

Next up on the list is to check out the Hulu show "Light as a Feather".

sjmartin79

We're watched the original Halloween last night, because we have tickets for the new Halloween on Friday. It still holds up well. I do want to watch the recently released Halloween 4K to see what the updated visuals look like.

I know the new Halloween only relates to the original, but I see me watching Halloween 2 and H20 before the 31st. I love H20. The acting, the pacing, the cinematography, the score. It's just a well-done slasher flick.

I saw the original Halloween too and found it didn't hold up. The score is of course iconic and some of the visuals are striking, but the pacing is some of the worst stuff about it. I think it might be just due to time, a billion slashers have dropped since this that are similarly paced or way better paced. Its way too obvious and annoying to watch now having a full grasp of the genre. Also acting is just obscenely hammy, and Michael has no rules so that bugged me throughout.
I have tickets for a showing of the new movie tomorrow night, should be fun despite my low expectations.

sjmartin79

Last night, it was one of our closest friend's birthdays, so after dinner/drinks, we went back to our place, and she wanted to watch a horror flick. So it felt appropriate to watch "Happy Death Day", which was written by former X-Men writer Scott Lobdell.

It's a fantastic horror comedy, with a full developed lead, an interested plot, great effects, and tons of great dialogue. I can't recommend it enough. Also found out last night that they are making a sequel, coming out next February. Officially on my must-see list now.

sjmartin79

I saw the original Halloween too and found it didn't hold up. The score is of course iconic and some of the visuals are striking, but the pacing is some of the worst stuff about it. I think it might be just due to time, a billion slashers have dropped since this that are similarly paced or way better paced. Its way too obvious and annoying to watch now having a full grasp of the genre. Also acting is just obscenely hammy, and Michael has no rules so that bugged me throughout.
I have tickets for a showing of the new movie tomorrow night, should be fun despite my low expectations.
When I was referring to the acting and the pacing, etc., that was in the paragraph about H20, not the original. I was praising H20. As I said, it is a well-done slasher flick.

The original did not have good acting. Everyone knows that. But I still stick by the opinion that the original Halloween is still a great horror movie 40 years later.

When I was referring to the acting and the pacing, etc., that was in the paragraph about H20, not the original. I was praising H20. As I said, it is a well-done slasher flick.

The original did not have good acting. Everyone knows that. But I still stick by the opinion that the original Halloween is still a great horror movie 40 years later.
Fair enough, I haven't seen H20 in ages.

Just got back from seeing Halloween. Folks, it's fucking good. Shockingly fun to watch in the theaters, just a blast. It's a smart, a tight movie. There are maybe one or two quick awkward moments in the beginning where exposition is being dealt in an unnatural way, and one too many off screen kills for my liking, but man what they did worked.
Also it's very clear what scenes Danny McBride had full control over, and they are some of the best stuff in the film. Those comedy spots might not be to everyones taste but I think they made things flow a lot more naturally and sincerely, and were smart ways to deal our characterization before people get sliced. Ugh, so good. I hope they don't make a sequel, but knowing who owns the franchise, I have no hope.

I watched Beetlejuice and the original Halloween in theater Friday and Saturday night respectively. Beetlejuice just doesn't get old no matter how many time I see it and it's nice being able to finally see it on the big screen. Winona Ryder will forever be my #1. I still really enjoyed the original Halloween too. After seeing how ridiculous the slasher genre got (and I'm not really complaining, I love Friday part 8 even though it's schlock incarnate) it's refreshing seeing a body count so low. It takes awhile to build and sure the acting and dialogue can be hammy ("who needs books? I always forget my chemistry book, and math book, and well all books"). Still, I love it.

Watched a few more Universal movies too.

The Invisible Man - Perhaps my favorite so far. Claude Rains just has an amazing voice. I wouldn't call it so much a horror movie as dark comedy for the most part. There is some dry humor with the police and The Invisible Man running around town stealing a bike or knocking off someone's hat is pretty funny too. There are some murders so it falls under "horror" I suppose, especially one I didn't see coming. The effects for an early 30's movie is also great, I genuinely don't know how they pulled some of this off. That's movie magic to me.

Bride Frankenstein - Same director as Invisible Man and that's not really hard to tell. Una O'Connor squawking and over acting fit in Invisible Man but why does she have so much screen time in Bride? She acts like Bugs Bunny when she sees the monster and is in it too much. Then you have the monster befriending the old blind man from the book which is probably my favorite part, and then you have Doctor Pretorius creating six-inch high humans in jars. It's a bit all of the place in terms of tone. It even starts off with Mary Shelly telling the story which is funny since the movie changes a fuck ton from the book. It's good there's no doubt about that, but the first one, even with all the changes, is better imo.

Werewolf of London - Of all the movies in the collection this is one of the ones I knew least of. I didn't know the actors, director or what the plot was. I was impressed though. It's not a werewolf that we're all accustomed too, this one takes time to put on his hat and coat before he goes out and stalks the street for his victim, but I thought Henry Hull played the role quiet well. When he wasn't a wolf he went about trying to lock himself up to protect his wife but always broke out. It has the DNA of what werewolf movies would become but I thought for an early go it was pretty good.

Next up is Daughter of Dracule, another one I know nothing about so I'm looking forward to it. Then it's Son of Frankenstein.

Been playing the Mummy Demastered which so far is really good. If it stays this good it honestly might become my favorite WayForward game.

Finally I read the short story The Body Snatcher. It was quiet good. It's only 20 pages so it makes a good read for any random night and actually reminded me of some Edgar Allan Poe stuff.

sjmartin79

If you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and binge watch "The Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix. It's a 10 part series, from the hottest writer/director in the horror game right now - Mike Flanagan.

He's filled the cast out with amazing actors he's worked with before, like Kate Siegel his lead in the exquisite "Hush" (Samantha Sloyan is from there too), Carla Gugino and Henry Thomas from "Gerald's Game", Elizabeth Reaser from "Ouija: Origin of Evil", and Anabeth Gish from "Before I Wake".

It was compelling, masterfully directed and shot, and so well acted.
Do yourself a favor and watch it now.

sjmartin79

Saw "Halloween" (2018) in theaters on Friday. It was absolutely fantastic.
Writing was great. Moments of humor mixed in with a great examination of PTSD for a horror movie survivor.
I'm not shocked at all that it pulled in the reviews and box office it did. Definitely deserves it.

the music is also really fucking good. I contend that John Carpenter only made movies as avenues to create music for it, which is his true talent. I really just want to watch it again just to listen to the soundtrack more closely

Dracula's Daughter - I really enjoyed this one. I didn't know what to expect but I thought they managed to keep the same tone as the original. It picks up immediately where the first one ended, with Van Helsing still looking over the wax figur...corpse of Dracula. Police come by and arrest them because vampires aren't real. Dracula's Daughter steals the corpse to burn it in the hopes of curing herself of being a vampire, but eventually wants to live forever with a psychologist. Gloria Holden did a damn good job playing the titular role. If she wanted to me to live with her I'd think about it, vampire be damned. (Okay probably not).

Son of Frankenstein - This one was pretty good. Bela Lugosi as Ygor was a good performance although Frankenstein is back to being a mute and just a "tool" for murder. The real story is the inspector trying to force a confession that Wolf Frankenstein either created a new monster or reanimated the OG, then you have Ygor wanting a counsel of men dead for having him hanged and pronounced dead even though he's still alive. It's very well acted and Basil Rathbone gives one of the best performances out of all of these movies so far. He's a classy son of a bitch.

The Invisible Man Returns - Despite the title, the person who becomes invisible is not the same person as the original movie. Vincent Price plays a man wrongfully accused of murdering his brother. As the date of his execution draws near, the brother of the original Invisible Man makes him invisible so he can escape prison and hunt down the real killer. Time is short as the drug causes madness/insanity. It's a good story, well acted, the effects are top notch and I should love this movie but I never really got too immersed in it. Maybe I was tired or because it doesn't fully explore the potential of him being wrong. Once he finds out the murderer early on that's it in terms of mystery. One character even brings up the possibility of him imagining things due to the drug but it never materializes into anything. Maybe I'm being too hard on it, it really is a great movie but doesn't have the same dark humor or suspense of the original. Maybe if it was a completely stand alone movie or not part of this "horror" collection I'd lighten up a bit.

The Mummy's Hand - I was actually really looking forward to this one. I heard The Mummy's Hand - The Mummy's Curse were essentially the first slasher series so I was interested in seeing how that all got started. It wasn't bad but there's a bit too much comedy in it. The story is a slight spin on the classic Mummy tale (A guy steals the secret to life for his love, gets buried alive for angering the gods, etc) but the mummy this time is a protector of the Princess's tomb. It doesn't explore the reincarnation of the Princess. That's all fine, but once the murders start, our heroes are still doing some slap stick comedy or some other out of place actions. I'm all for a light hearted opener to put the audience at ease before the shit hits the fan, but this border lines a full comedy. I will say the shots of the mummy's face with his eyes and mouth blacked-out are legit creepy. I can't be too hard on this, I did like the main hero and the love interest, probably the toughest no-nonsense lady in these movies so far, and the movie is well made. I'm curious how the rest are.

The Invisible Woman - Hooooo boy. Hooooooooo boy. Don't know why this is apart of this "horror" collection. I may have been a tad disappointed in The Mummy's Hand for it's sometimes excessive comedy but this is something else. As soon as the opening song hit I knew I was in for it. A doctor invents a machine that can make people invisible so he puts an ad in the paper looking for a test subject. A model who hates her asshole boss answers so she can fuck with him and whatnot. A mafia boss wants the machine so he can sneak back over the border from Mexico. Also the doctor gets his funding from a laid back womanizer. Once she turns invisible she goes to her boss's office and starts messing with him (slapping him and whatnot). Then she throws a dress out the window and says maybe he should go after them. She yells at him to bend over the window sill and I thought "okay, maybe this is where she starts going crazy" but nah, just a kick on my bum. How scary...

No horror, no suspense, no thrills. Everyone feels like a comic relief character and the story doesn't grab my attention. I actually played some Mega Man Zero in the second half. I guess it's not too bad on it's own merits, it's just a 1940's comedy, but the comedy does feel a bit dated. I admit though, there were some gags that were good, mostly because the actors did do a good job with the material, but there were quite a few "whomp whomp" moments.

That's probably enough of a movie that hasn't been talked about in decades so I'll leave it at that. I think the original Invisible Man is still my favorite so far. The Wolf Man with Lon Chaney Jr. is next. Out of the rest of them, I'm most eager to see Phantom of the Opera. I also want to watch the Abbott and Costello series. I know I've given a bit of shit towards the more comedic tones of the last few I've watched, but I know these are comedies when Universal were winding down the Monster movies, so it's all fine.

I got a Halloween party on Saturday. It's at a house near downtown where there's a shit ton of things happening at all the bars, so the "party" will probably end early. I'm wrapping my face up in bandages and wearing a suit as an invisible man. Once the party leaves early I'll just take off the bandages and my jacket.

Dracula's Daughter - I really enjoyed this one. I didn't know what to expect but I thought they managed to keep the same tone as the original. It picks up immediately where the first one ended, with Van Helsing still looking over the wax figur...corpse of Dracula. Police come by and arrest them because vampires aren't real. Dracula's Daughter steals the corpse to burn it in the hopes of curing herself of being a vampire, but eventually wants to live forever with a psychologist. Gloria Holden did a damn good job playing the titular role. If she wanted to me to live with her I'd think about it, vampire be damned. (Okay probably not).

Son of Frankenstein - This one was pretty good. Bela Lugosi as Ygor was a good performance although Frankenstein is back to being a mute and just a "tool" for murder. The real story is the inspector trying to force a confession that Wolf Frankenstein either created a new monster or reanimated the OG, then you have Ygor wanting a counsel of men dead for having him hanged and pronounced dead even though he's still alive. It's very well acted and Basil Rathbone gives one of the best performances out of all of these movies so far. He's a classy son of a bitch.

The Invisible Man Returns - Despite the title, the person who becomes invisible is not the same person as the original movie. Vincent Price plays a man wrongfully accused of murdering his brother. As the date of his execution draws near, the brother of the original Invisible Man makes him invisible so he can escape prison and hunt down the real killer. Time is short as the drug causes madness/insanity. It's a good story, well acted, the effects are top notch and I should love this movie but I never really got too immersed in it. Maybe I was tired or because it doesn't fully explore the potential of him being wrong. Once he finds out the murderer early on that's it in terms of mystery. One character even brings up the possibility of him imagining things due to the drug but it never materializes into anything. Maybe I'm being too hard on it, it really is a great movie but doesn't have the same dark humor or suspense of the original. Maybe if it was a completely stand alone movie or not part of this "horror" collection I'd lighten up a bit.

The Mummy's Hand - I was actually really looking forward to this one. I heard The Mummy's Hand - The Mummy's Curse were essentially the first slasher series so I was interested in seeing how that all got started. It wasn't bad but there's a bit too much comedy in it. The story is a slight spin on the classic Mummy tale (A guy steals the secret to life for his love, gets buried alive for angering the gods, etc) but the mummy this time is a protector of the Princess's tomb. It doesn't explore the reincarnation of the Princess. That's all fine, but once the murders start, our heroes are still doing some slap stick comedy or some other out of place actions. I'm all for a light hearted opener to put the audience at ease before the shit hits the fan, but this border lines a full comedy. I will say the shots of the mummy's face with his eyes and mouth blacked-out are legit creepy. I can't be too hard on this, I did like the main hero and the love interest, probably the toughest no-nonsense lady in these movies so far, and the movie is well made. I'm curious how the rest are.

The Invisible Woman - Hooooo boy. Hooooooooo boy. Don't know why this is apart of this "horror" collection. I may have been a tad disappointed in The Mummy's Hand for it's sometimes excessive comedy but this is something else. As soon as the opening song hit I knew I was in for it. A doctor invents a machine that can make people invisible so he puts an ad in the paper looking for a test subject. A model who hates her asshole boss answers so she can fuck with him and whatnot. A mafia boss wants the machine so he can sneak back over the border from Mexico. Also the doctor gets his funding from a laid back womanizer. Once she turns invisible she goes to her boss's office and starts messing with him (slapping him and whatnot). Then she throws a dress out the window and says maybe he should go after them. She yells at him to bend over the window sill and I thought "okay, maybe this is where she starts going crazy" but nah, just a kick on my bum. How scary...

No horror, no suspense, no thrills. Everyone feels like a comic relief character and the story doesn't grab my attention. I actually played some Mega Man Zero in the second half. I guess it's not too bad on it's own merits, it's just a 1940's comedy, but the comedy does feel a bit dated. I admit though, there were some gags that were good, mostly because the actors did do a good job with the material, but there were quite a few "whomp whomp" moments.

That's probably enough of a movie that hasn't been talked about in decades so I'll leave it at that. I think the original Invisible Man is still my favorite so far. The Wolf Man with Lon Chaney Jr. is next. Out of the rest of them, I'm most eager to see Phantom of the Opera. I also want to watch the Abbott and Costello series. I know I've given a bit of shit towards the more comedic tones of the last few I've watched, but I know these are comedies when Universal were winding down the Monster movies, so it's all fine.

I got a Halloween party on Saturday. It's at a house near downtown where there's a shit ton of things happening at all the bars, so the "party" will probably end early. I'm wrapping my face up in bandages and wearing a suit as an invisible man. Once the party leaves early I'll just take off the bandages and my jacket.
quick, everyone place your bets, how many people mistake COV for Slenderman instead of the Invisible Man?

sjmartin79

Saturday night is the annual Black Diamond Burlesque Halloween show. I won't be performing like last year, but Steve2 and I are doing a comedic bit with the emcee on stage.
I finished rhinestoning the tie for part of my costume last night. Once I get some good pics, I'll share them here.

Happy Halloween Weekend everyone!

sjmartin79

This week, I've been playing more Resident Evil, and we watched a few more horror movies.

After finishing "The Haunting of Hill House", we had to go back and watch "Hush" again.

Then last night, while working on my costume, we watched "El Ofanato" - In my top ten favorite movies. More of a ghost story, but so damn good.

sjmartin79

Since Netflix suggested it, we decided to check out "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" this weekend. Only a few episodes in, but it is definitely darker and more occult than the ABC Melissa Joan Hart show in the 90s.
Good acting. Very interesting camera work.