Cue rocky montage [Fitness Thread]

Goodtwin

I use to enjoy working out much more than I do now, but I do still try to stay somewhat fit. Mainly focusing on weight lifting. No need to over complicate things, stick compound exercises such as bench press, pull ups, dips, and dead lifts. Go heavy, and do three sets of five reps. It's so much easier to build muscle in my thirties than in my twenties. Of course it's also easier to aquire a beer gut as well. LOL

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Cue some motivational quotes from The Greatest, Ali.

[I had to remove the pics. Trav said they were causing some malware/virus to hit antivirus. -ET]

That last one is really something, because I remember repping one thousand kicks (500 each leg) a few weeks back, and those last ten or so on each leg were the ones that counted the most. At that point, I'm hurting and yet felt if I just rock these and not care about how I am doing rather than just trusting my form, they would be my best ones. And guess what? They were.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shoulder

Normally, when people start getting in shape, working out, or whatever, clothes tend to fit better, such as pants. At for me, when it comes to my jeans, that appears to not be the case, as my thighs are getting bulkier due to all the kicks, squats and other exercises I've been doing.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you how many kicks I've done. On average, I'm doing 1000 kicks a week (500 on each leg with 250 of those per leg for one particular kick, so 500 of one type of kick each week). I've also been adding in side-kicks as well lately. If I do rep 1000 kicks per week on average, that's of course 52000 kicks a year, or 26000 of one type of kick I would do in my routines. That also does not include kicks I do randomly throughout the day or while training in the Dojo.

But even so, only a handful of those kicks are truly good, and the rest were simply building up to that moment. Thursday, I'm going to shoot for 1000 kicks in one session with 1lb on each leg and see how I do.

Shoulder

Today was more productive. Ran for two miles, the latter mile at an 8min pace, which is a personal best. And then followed up with 3/4ths of a mile walking backwards, and then finished with 250 Hindu Squats.

Now, time to eat hearty, for tonight...I dine...in HELL!!!

Shoulder

So rather recently, I discovered I had been calling a particular core exercise by the wrong name. What I had thought was called "Brush n' twist," was actually called, "Russian twist." :mfacepalm:

Shoulder

So to start off 2016 right, I've been really working on getting my groove on for exercising. I've also put forth a couple new years commitments for 2016 as I'm going to learn how to do the splits. Yes, you heard that right. The splits. I've never done them before, but since I'm already a pretty flexible guy (I can at least touch my feet in a hamstring stretch), I like a challenge.

You may be wondering why? Because I can.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I'm joining into the Fitness fun! Break out the rabbit food and walking around for no reason other than de-fattenizing! I plan on sacrificing much lettuce to the salad gods and all the chickens boobies should be afraid for I will be grilling them for most of my meals. No Marinara sauce bottle will be safe. Heed this warning healthy foods, find sanctuary in the candy aisle.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I want to start playing Tennis soon. If I don't post again in this thread it means I failed miserably and didn't even get started.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well count my cousin and I on the eating better train for this year and gonna try and cut some weight. Ever since I've quit dipping (tobacco) a year or so ago I haven't seen any food I don't like. I gained about 50 pounds that I would love to shed and gonna try my damndest this year to do that.

And honestly I haven't been to the Dr since high school, and if i don't start watching things I'm gonna be there more often than not.

And I gave Absolutky fell in love with martial arts, and I wanna be the best Mattavelle I can be so I can continue to get better and better at it. Being an extra 50-70 pounds heavier than I need to be will hinder that as I train more and more. It's gotta go.

simplyTravis

@juegosmajicos I love me some tennis but my knees don't anymore. It makes me feel super old.

Speaking of bad knees, I'm going to buy a Nordictrack ATC tomorrow since I've always wanted a good elliptical!

Used for $350. More like used to hang clothes on, amirite?!?

Elliptical workouts are some of the best cardio for my bad knees which don't do well with impact based workouts (running, jogging, stair climbing, etc...) I used to be able to do an hour pretty intensely but I'm pretty sure I'll last about 10 minutes.

I'll also be joining a gym on a no-contract basis. I've had two gyms screw me over in the past when I cancelled my contract so I won't be doing that again. I've avoided gyms like the plague for the last year and a half due to my MRSA attack that landed me in the hospital. MRSA tends to be quite gym friendly so I'll be bringing some lysol wipes along with me.

My nephew and a friend are thinking of joining in the party too. I'll mostly be there for weight training. My nephew also wants to break out the kickboxing bag that I have put up in my tool shed. I went to pull it out today and the strap apparently dry-rotted so now I have to figure out how to re-attach it. Should be interesting...

Shoulder

So Thursday, I finally got back into Kickboxing, which I periodically would attend when I was in town because of taking off work on a Friday, and whatever I did, my abs are still sore as fuck. It's a like a reverse back problem because you cannot exactly stand up straight, but it's because your abs are so sore, they are so tight at the same time, so you cannot always really straighten yourself out.

My back is doing great, so there's that...

I also weighed myself this morning after my usual bathroom evacuation, and weighed in at 188lbs (I weigh myself without clothes on to make the results as realistic as possible). So, since around November I've gained 7-10lbs, which isn't so bad, and it's probably my body adjusting itself due to the colder temperatures. All my clothes still fit just fine, so no worries there.

So Thursday, I finally got back into Kickboxing, which I periodically would attend when I was in town because of taking off work on a Friday, and whatever I did, my abs are still sore as fuck. It's a like a reverse back problem because you cannot exactly stand up straight, but it's because your abs are so sore, they are so tight at the same time, so you cannot always really straighten yourself out.

My back is doing great, so there's that...

I also weighed myself this morning after my usual bathroom evacuation, and weighed in at 188lbs (I weigh myself without clothes on to make the results as realistic as possible). So, since around November I've gained 7-10lbs, which isn't so bad, and it's probably my body adjusting itself due to the colder temperatures. All my clothes still fit just fine, so no worries there.
Had the same ab issue after a session with a personal trainer. Did not realize it would get that bad, couldn't stand up straight all day and then some.

Odo

I intend to have less ice cream this year. That's all I can promise.

But take this promise with a lot of salt. But put a lot of salt on it. A lot.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So, I'm down over 20 pounds since Christmas. Eating lots of green leafy crap and chicken boobies along with Healthy Choice lunches. Rabbits are going to run out of food by the time I am done with all these greens.
Wanna know a secret I use to sneak in greens once a day?

In the morning the first thing I make is a smoothie.

1 cup of water
1 banana
1 cup of mixed frozen berries
1 half handful of Spinch
1 teaspoon of expresso

Put all that in a blender on whatever chops it up the finest. And you have an absolutely wonderful drink and you don't even taste the Spinch.

simplyTravis

Wanna know a secret I use to sneak in greens once a day?

In the morning the first thing I make is a smoothie.

1 cup of water
1 banana
1 cup of mixed frozen berries
1 half handful of Spinch
1 teaspoon of expresso

Put all that in a blender on whatever chops it up the finest. And you have an absolutely wonderful drink and you don't even taste the Spinch.
Yeah..if I taste the spinach that would just be wrong. Espresso though, nice!!!! I might have to try that with strawberries next week.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah..if I taste the spinach that would just be wrong. Espresso though, nice!!!! I might have to try that with strawberries next week.
(In the frozen mix berries I have a collection of strawberrys, blueberrys, rasberries, blackberries)

(In the summer I replace these with melons. Canalope, honeydew, watermelon, frozen grapes)

If you taste the Spinch it's not chopped fine enough.

simplyTravis

So, my routine has been kicking fat and taking names lately. I'm down 33 pounds but I've been charting other numbers since I've started really getting into a workout routine. My fat percentage has gone down over 10%, my muscle mass has gone up 12%, and even my bone density has gone up 2 points which I was not expecting! That is within the last month or so since I started charting it informally. Now it is going in a spreadsheet once a week.

I have a friend who was at the weight I used to be before I started and saw what was going on and decided to join in. Since then we've gone in and purchased a fancy new olympic style bench press and squat rack along with weights.

Generally within a week I am doing elliptical, stationary bike, cardio kickboxing on a heavy bag, bench press, incline press, bicep curls, triceps, squats, leg extensions, leg curls, sit-ups, declined sit-ups (like at an angle hanging), walking, and whatever I feel will break some monotony of routine.

My upper body maxes are abysmal compared to my olden days of post-300 pound presses and such but I'm actually starting to see weekly gains of about 5 to 10 lbs in ma' presses. I can't quite do heavy squats as I can't find a belt at my local stores. They are all apparently for super skinny people. I gotta order one online.

The elliptical + heavy bag combo is kicking my ass in such a good way. It's just melting fat when I do it. I'm very happy I can still do a good head kick even though you wouldn't expect it from my size. I would like to spar with a full helmet on in the future for funsies with low impact. I gotta keep them teeth.

I hit a wall today though. My weight loss program (Noom) said that I needed to eat X amount of calories. I decided "screw you, I do what I want!" and then preceded to eat about 700 calories less than it suggested

. 2 hours after my workout the migraine hit. I guess they were right... TO THE FOOD!

Mmm...Popeye's red beans and rice!

Goodtwin

My sister has got me enrolled in a 5k in about 3 weeks. I haven't done much running other than playing tennis in many years, and about 30 pounds ago. I have been training for a few weeks now, and I think I should be good to go. I'm just looking to finish without having to walk. If I can run the whole time, mission accomplished.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
My sister has got me enrolled in a 5k in about 3 weeks. I haven't done much running other than playing tennis in many years, and about 30 pounds ago. I have been training for a few weeks now, and I think I should be good to go. I'm just looking to finish without having to walk. If I can run the whole time, mission accomplished.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
:msrs:

A quote from Goodtwin when I started martial arts. "It's awesome that your starting something that new later in life. " I think about that often and how we should be tryin new things. I'm pumped about this for you Good, do work!

Shoulder

So the other week, I went for a run after not doing that for a couple of months, and of course my calves were sore for a couple days afterwards. Went for another run just now, but took it easy for now, did some more exercises, and enjoying a spot of a hamburger pattie and a baked potato, and will add a serviing of cottage cheese on top of it. I also had a cup of dark chocolate almond milk to help replenish myself.

Next week, I plan to do more running and getting back into shape more.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Not exactly fitness related but I've hooked up a soundbar in my garage so I can feel the feels whenever I listen to an audiobook. (As in, I can actually understand the damn words now because the noise isn't drowned out anymore)

praisegrima

simplyTravis

Alright, time to drag this thread back out of it's cave. I gotta lose weight. I'm running into issues with my back since I've developed arthrosis and I bet losing a good 50 pounds would help. Hell, 100 would be even better.

I've used Noom in the past, which uses volumetrics, to lose around 30 or 40 pounds but their app is junk now. I'm about to move over to SparkPeople and see if their plan is any good. I'm on a plan to lose about 60 pounds by March.

I've just won an auction on Ebay for a Fitbit Charge 2 and will be using it to track my steps, heart rate, sleep, calories burned, etc... I'm not the biggest fan of wearing anything on my wrist but I found I can be surprisingly ok with gadgets, haha. We'll see how that goes. That being said, this is going to be a life-altering thing for me because I want to stop being in pain everyday.

Exercise wise I can't go too overboard due to arthrosis. I have to keep low-impact so I'll be focusing on walking, elliptical, hiking w/ my dogs, stretching/yoga, and various core strengthening exercises but not heavy lifting (sigh.) My plan for the stretching/core stuff involves playing ARMS and Splatoon to keep my interest in between.

So, anyone else want to join in a weekly check-in on here?

Let's get physical...ly fit!

Shoulder

Seeing as it's the new year, it of course brings upon not only that, but also new beginnings, new challenges, and new lifestyle changes. I'm in the process of putting together a routine that I can do in 15 min or less when I wake up in the morning, while also putting more effort into doing my martial arts on a regular basis. I feel the key is to not only make it easy to perform, but also something you can do practically anywhere.

As a starting point, I decided to start putting my legs into a horse stance (from my martial arts) while brushing my teeth. It only lasts 1-2 minutes, but figure a couple minutes here, couple minutes there, it'll help maintain solid structure, keep my posture up, and make me feel good in the end.

I, however, don't don't consider this as New Year's Resolutions, as more New Lifestyle Beginnings. :mthumb:

Koenig

The Architect
I actually started a 12 week plan with my friends. It remains to be seen if we will all actually stick to it or not, but the "Guide" the gym/shop recommended for me is to gain 5 pounds in fat and 25 pounds in lean body mass...

simplyTravis

I'm about to start the party back also. I lost my fitbit at some point working on a house after Harvey so I've fallen off my game. Without that daily reminder I got lazy and gained back 13 pounds.

I used this as an excuse to get a Fitbit Blaze and will start the fun of exercising and eating right tomorrow. I'm going to start pretty light so my regimen at the beginning will simply be 30 active minutes a day then bump up to an hour within a week.

simplyTravis

I'm stuck inside today but it's giving me a good excuse to hit up the elliptical machine and keep my heartbeat up with ARMS! I need to get some wrist/arm weights soon to give a little more oomph to my punches.

Koenig

The Architect
According to my the fitness trainers I spoke to, my biggest problem is not getting enough carbs. Because my metabolism hasn't failed me yet, I am generally burning as much as I eat even before working out.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
back on my diet after like over a year off in which I gained back everything and more...

same strategy as before really,

counting calories w/ a cheat day every saturday

it worked before, but was derailed by a combination of depression, anxiety over a plateau I was struggling with, and, at the time, an aproaching holiday season with too much amazing food around me.

I tried to get back on it in simpler ways, like watching my calories but not counting.... but I have to count to keep myself honest

need to get the exercise back into the program too.... I might use my movie pass subscription as an aide there... as walking with a purpose is better then getting bored of the activity by itself... in this my purpose would be walking to the movie theater, seeing a movie, and then walking back

GaemzDood

Okay, so my diet and workout has been inconsistent. I've been eating out more and my girlfriend, who loves to bake, keeps feeding me cookies. And my gym schedule has been a mess. I also have seasonal depression and live in a cold state, so that really fucked me up. However, she's getting a membership to my gym in order to help keep me on track/motivate me, and I feel like that's going to do a lot of good since we have a good relationship.

GaemzDood

According to my the fitness trainers I spoke to, my biggest problem is not getting enough carbs. Because my metabolism hasn't failed me yet, I am generally burning as much as I eat even before working out.
My weight fluctuates more than Wolfenstein II's framerate. I can lose and gain 5 pounds in the same exact day, and it's not water weight either. It's weird as hell.

Shoulder

Since the start of the new year, I've been working on keeping myself in an active way, chiefly in the morning before I go to work, as well as before I go to bed after a shower.

Now, immediately you might wonder why I would be doing exercises after a shower, and the key here it's nothing strenuous, nor high-intensity. It's mainly used to keep myself limber and mobile as my muscles are already warmed up after a nice warm shower.

Seeing as we tend to live more sedative lives with our backs more hunched over, or the fact we use our backs too often, it stands to reason that performing lower back exercises would be a good thing. So for the past couple of years, I've been doing a series of yoga exercises meant to emphasize the lower back, while also helping to aid in my overall flexibility in stretching. This also includes hamstring stretching, neck movement, and hip flexibility.

I was searching one night for exercises for your lower back, and came across this video above. I found it to be quite a nice way to introduce some exercises in order to help my lower back, while also allowing meself to modify it to my needs, which is exactly what I've done. I don't do all of the exercises shown in the video, and I've also slightly altered a couple since I don't have as much flexibility as she does. Nevertheless, it's worked quite well in keeping me limber.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2014...oldtime-strongmans-15-minute-morning-routine/

(Note: Brett doesn't do some of the exercises exactly as are shown in the book)

Now, this routine is much more recent, specifically this year is when I discovered this, and for the past several weeks, I've incorporated it into my morning routine of getting up, eating breakfast, and getting ready for work. I've found it to be a pretty good way of just waking everything up. As an addition to this routine, I've added push-ups, and pull-ups to it. I don't do this to be strenuous, or anything high-intensity. Rather, just keeping things moving, or greasing the groove as it's known as.

Even throughout the day, I'll go ahead, and do some exercises as a means of just getting me out of the chair, or as a way of staying in motion. Even as I sit here in my office chair, I feel the need to get up, and do something.

And lastly, I've been working on ways to improve my grip strength seeing as my job involves having grip, and lifting heavier stuff, so I find having a good grip helps everything out a lot. At my desk, I keep two golf balls to use as cheap baoding balls, as well as a stress ball, and throughout the day, I'll grab one or the other, and use for a couple minutes. I even bought two 2" solid steel balls (each weighing over 1lb), and use those as baoding balls, which can really give your hands and forearms a workout by just doing that. Laugh and snicker all you want for exercising your hands and forearms with balls.