Dead or Alive: Dimensions

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
So the demo just came out for UK residents, it'll probably head to the US soon.

I was looking forward to it a lot, as I'd been somewhat on the fence about it when it originally came out. As far as fighting games go, I've only ever really enjoyed Soul Calibur as that's just more my thing, but I wanted to try this.

I have to say, I'm still undecided. The demo seems incredibly short and I really can't get a grasp of whether I'll enjoy it or not. There are things I like about it and things I don't...

Is there anybody here with the full game who might be able to help me out?

Menashe

I have the full game which I bought during the drought. Truthfully, I haven't played more than two times because I spent most of my time with Street Fighter IV. Even that was out of the ordinary for me because I haven't been a fighter fan since the Mortal Kombat days. So, I decided to dedicate my time to SSIV3D. Dead or Alive seemed like it would be a good game for someone who was more interested in it. But, sadly I wasn't. Still, if you have any questions, I can certainly try and answer them.

Ex-Actarus

"Menashe" wrote: I have the full game which I bought during the drought. Truthfully, I haven't played more than two times because I spent most of my time with Street Fighter IV. Even that was out of the ordinary for me because I haven't been a fighter fan since the Mortal Kombat days. So, I decided to dedicate my time to SSIV3D. Dead or Alive seemed like it would be a good game for someone who was more interested in it. But, sadly I wasn't. Still, if you have any questions, I can certainly try and answer them.
Actually I enjoyed more Street Fighter IV on the 3DS than the 360.

The fighting game are unplayable for me on 360 and I don't want to pay for fighting pad. I should have a PS3 for that I guess, but I'm not a Playstation fan...

I've yet to play Dead or Alive Dimension. I've never been a Dead or Alive fan ( once again the Xbox and 360 controllers did not help;.. ) so I'm not that excited ( even if as a Ninja Gaiden fan, I like Ryu Hayabusa ).

Menashe

OK, that's good to know. So, you have a 360 but no PS3. Any specific reason you like it better? Also, you got you a Vita and a 3DS now?

running_in_jam

I actually went ahead and bought it anyway, I'm about half way through my demo uses because it got me hooked after i started getting used to the mechanics. Plus it was only £15, so hopefully it will be a worthwhile purchase

Urm, I just played it... Within 2 minutes it was over. I dont understand.

Never played a DOA before in my life, and I'm not sure I'll ever bother again.

running_in_jam

It was very short, wasn't it. I figured that was mainly due to the fact it was just a demo, though. But even for a demo... =/

Anyway, I should have it within the next few days so hopefully I can confirm that it does last a little longer
According to reviews it's supposed to be the best fighter on a handheld system.

Menashe you should pick it up again we could battle it out with our half naked avatars.

Ex-Actarus

"Menashe" wrote: OK, that's good to know. So, you have a 360 but no PS3. Any specific reason you like it better? Also, you got you a Vita and a 3DS now?
I have a 360 because I had an Xbox and I became a HUGE Halo fan. So it's clear I will get the Durango to play the next gen Halo games.

For the PS3, It's just that I still remember those days when the PS and PS2 were dominatingthe industry and Sony had no respect whatsoever for Nintendo. And that lack of respect was soon transfered to the PS/PS2 owners, who refused to play games on Nintendo platfom. So i kind of boycotted the PS home consoles
. Still I played great games on both PS and PS2 and I respect the Playstations.

No I don't have a Vita. I'm planning to buy one when it will be cheaper. When you do the Math ( hardware, games and memory card prices ), the ita just dosen't make anysense right now... I was a PSP owner ( because of the Megaman X remake, one of my favourite games of all time ).

But to come back to the topic, I think the 3DS is clearly a viable platform for that kind of games. I remember I used the touch screen a lot with Street Fighter IV. I guess i will do the same with Dead or Alive Dimensions

running_in_jam

Ex-Actarus are you getting Dead or Alive then?? I should have it in the next few days. I am excited.

Oh and if you do get it, we shall play online and you can beat me lots cause i suck!

Ex-Actarus

"running_in_jam" wrote: Ex-Actarus are you getting Dead or Alive then?? I should have it in the next few days. I am excited.

Oh and if you do get it, we shall play online and you can beat me lots cause i suck!
Yes Running_in_jam, Im planning to buy the game ( probably next month ).

And I will be more than happy to challenge with Ryu Hayabusa

running_in_jam

"Ex-Actarus" wrote:
"running_in_jam" wrote:
Ex-Actarus are you getting Dead or Alive then?? I should have it in the next few days. I am excited.

Yes Running_in_jam, Im planning to buy the game ( probably next month ).

And I will be more than happy to challenge with Ryu Hayabusa
Awesome!
I'll look forward to facing off against you as one of them pretty ladies showing a lot of leg
lol

Nah I'm kidding, well, maybe =P lol! It should arrive tomorrow so I'll sort out a favorite character and practise up for when you get it

running_in_jam

So, I have the game now, here are my thoughts

I've played through most of "Chronicle Mode" which summarises the stories from the past Dead or Alive games. As most reviews will have highlighted, there are good and bad parts to this:

The GOOD parts:

+Throughout this mode, there are occasional and brief tutorials and reminders of particular aspects of the combat system. This is unimaginably useful, since with any new fighting game, it can be daunting trying to grasp exactly how it works. The tutorial system slows/stops the combat until you have achieved the button combination for a counter attack for example, or a complicated throwing move. It would've taken me a LONG time to figure some of this stuff out otherwise, so it was well received and well executed.

+Some of the fmv sequences were pretty cool, and particular bits were real nice to watch in 3D

+It does outline many of the backgrounds of the characters, which is great cause before I literally knew nothing about them or their relationships to one another.

The BAD parts:

-A lot of the story segments (which are far more numerous than the fights in this mode) are made in a peculiar way. The characters are positioned for stills, whilst dialog plays over the top. Their expressions match the dialog, sure (i don't mean lip synced) but visually, it's just a completely still character model and frankly it's quite distracting...

-Chapters can actually be quite long, and I feel like I'd want a break, but it doesn't come...we're talking maybe 40 minutes here, so it's personal opinion perhaps.

But otherwise, it's an awesome game!
Finally getting the hang of the combat system and it's actually really clever, I like the counter system but it's gonna take some getting used to to perfect, as with anything though I suppose. I haven't manned up for the online mode yet, feel I should get more practise first.

There's also a survival and tag mode, as well as free-play and practise etc. Oh and I play with the 3D off so it's silky smooth

So, Ex, I will see you online in a month