Do you think it would have been a better move to push Switch as Nintendo's new handheld?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Yeah, totally agree. For some reason Nintendo's intent on selling another 5 million 3DS units and a couple of million copies of Pokemon rather than guaranteeing the success of the Switch. If the Switch doesn't sell out like they think it will, then marketing it as a home console is going to look like a mistake in hindsight.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Yes, and no. I think it boils down to how you want to perceive the Switch as: 1) A Console you can take anywhere with you on the go, or 2) A handheld you can connect to the big-screen.

At this point, you ask yourself, "Which one sounds more appealing?"

Since I plan on using the Switch more as a replacement for the Wii U than the 3DS, I'm calling it the former. But, my own perception might change when I eventually get one, and get a chance to use it. Your guys' thoughts when it launches might also have an influence as well. I genuinely look forward into hearing everyone's thoughts coming March 3rd.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Not really. They're pushing exactly what the central idea of the Switch is: a device that plays home console-type games on your TV or on the go. It has a gadget factor.

If you don't sell on that, then what's the point? How many people are going to say "yeah, I want a $300 replacement for the 3DS?"

Plus, there's the contingency factor. Maybe Switch flops spectacularly. Then what? Rushing out a new home console isn't going to work. Rushing out a sub-$200 handheld? Probably a more favorable proposition.

...not that I'd trust Nintendo to price a new handheld competitively right now.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
No, I believe they are doing it right. It is its own thing. It is a gaming device that you can use as a home console or as a portable on the go.

We've been talking in the forums about a unified platform playing all games and having the freedom to game how you want. That's what I'm seeing with this.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Let me elaborate on why I think it should have been better to market as a handheld and it's very simple.

This is the strongest handheld on the market.

This console is not very powerful compared to what else is out there.

From a marketing perspective and with more and more people going handheld. Which on sounds better to you?

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
no not at all, they should have taken the apple approach

"today we have 3 devices to announce... a powerful new handheld, an innovative new console, and a portable local multiplyer powerhouse.... a powerful new handheld, an innovative new console, and a portable local multiplyer powerhouse.... a powerful new handheld, an innovative new console, and a portable local multiplyer powerhouse.... are you getting it? this is 1 device, the Nintendo Switch a powerful new handheld, an innovative new console, and a portable local multiplyer powerhouse... and here it is

the only mistake nintendo is making IMO is still trying to acknowledge that the 3ds will remain a thing .... but if they had pushed it as a handheld first device people would be all "well I am a console guy, so I'm waiting for the new console first device"... which is why they marketed as a console first device... because it is the wii u that needed replacing, not the 3ds.... but they should have flat out pushed it as a replacement to both

also... the second pricing of the controllers became an issue they should have announced that the wii u pro controller would work on the device for games that do not requires the new functionality provided by the new controllers (NFC, HD rumble, motion)

Goodtwin

There is a different perceived value to portables, and that's why I think Nintendo is choosing to market this is a console first and a portable second. Its a very expensive portable, but as a console its not more expensive than the Wii U currently is. I think a portable only version of Switch is most likely the fail safe for Switch. In a year they could shrink the Tegra processor, scrap the fan cooling, and sell a portable only version of Switch for $179. The game development would remain the same, as development already involves the portable mode. I think this goes back to the idea that "NX" could be one device, or many. I think Nintendo would prefer to sell Switch as is, but a portable only version is definitely on the drawing board.

With that said, Nintendo should be marketing the Switch as being the most powerful portable console on the market. It blows the 3DS and the Vita out of the water. Digital Foundry, who are pretty tech savy, are praising it as a portable.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I agree it would've been better received but, at the same time, Nintendo kinda needed to replace the Wii U and this was probably the best direction to go in; to merge their two platforms into one, especially with the handheld market having shrunk since last gen and their home consoles having lower and lower sales, barring the Wii. If the Switch does poorly, it at least gives them a way out to make a 4DS or whatever their next handheld would've been

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Agreed. I definitely see Pokémon (Stars or Eclipse... I think Eclipse makes more sense with the theme of the games) being announced at E3.
Maybe MH then too if we don't hear before then, but I truly believe both will be on Switch.
The only thing that makes me concerned about MH is that we haven't heard anything yet. Now I take heart that Nintendo is still in command of that franchise just for the fact they shelled out a direct just for that game and Capcom.

The closer it gets to e3 without an announcement the more I'm gonna be tripping that somehow Sony got it and wants to announce it at e3.

But I will say if Sony owned it that's something they would normally come out and gloat about.

tekshow

I think this is the only way to go, with the design philosophy behind the games and the price they've set to begin with.
Absolutely, before it was revealed with its games I thought we might even see 3ds games ported to it. The presentation made it clear that these games aren't handheld in size and scope. Some indies fit that bill, but Spla2n, Kart, Arms, Mario and other major first year games are full console experiences.

Anecdotally I have a friend who's beyond casual. I helped him move the other day and he asked me if I'd seen the new Nintendo Switch. He started talking about Joycons and the kickstand and everything about it. He called it a home console and even said that makes it instantly better than the hd twins. (His opinion) What impressed him was the quality of the game AND the portability. "Nobody else is doing that right!?" I told him he might not be able to get a preorder anymore, but the Switch had changed his mind from even getting a PS4. Pretty cool to hear how the general public might be viewing the Switch, coming from a 40 year old dude. :)

The only thing left for the Switch to be viewed a home console is a constant flow of games. I think year one looks pretty good, but time will tell. If all the third party games are smaller or indie offerings then it'll be tough to argue. If it can get even some ports of other games, OR have games made specifically for it like the Wii did it'll be a great home console.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
The only thing that makes me concerned about MH is that we haven't heard anything yet. Now I take heart that Nintendo is still in command of that franchise just for the fact they shelled out a direct just for that game and Capcom.

The closer it gets to e3 without an announcement the more I'm gonna be tripping that somehow Sony got it and wants to announce it at e3.

But I will say if Sony owned it that's something they would normally come out and gloat about.
no way... sony no longer has a viable handheld, there would be riots in the streets of japan if MH went console only

Odo

Yes.

In fact many people is seeing switch as an overpriced weak handheld sold as a home console anyway. Myself included.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
really love a lot of the responses to this thread.

There is a different perceived value to portables, and that's why I think Nintendo is choosing to market this is a console first and a portable second. Its a very expensive portable, but as a console its not more expensive than the Wii U currently is. I think a portable only version of Switch is most likely the fail safe for Switch. In a year they could shrink the Tegra processor, scrap the fan cooling, and sell a portable only version of Switch for $179. The game development would remain the same, as development already involves the portable mode. I think this goes back to the idea that "NX" could be one device, or many. I think Nintendo would prefer to sell Switch as is, but a portable only version is definitely on the drawing board.

With that said, Nintendo should be marketing the Switch as being the most powerful portable console on the market. It blows the 3DS and the Vita out of the water. Digital Foundry, who are pretty tech savy, are praising it as a portable.

this is a great prediction @Goodtwin. maybe it's better to say that the new 3ds will play switch games.