Do you think the NX will be backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U controllers?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Or do you think the new controller will be so unique that there is no way that older controllers will be compatible for most games? If so, what kind of technology could this new controller have?

So the reason for my question is that I've noticed a few posts here and there about how it would be difficult for Nintendo to make multiplayer work with the NX due to the inconvenience of forcing everyone to have their own NX system and connect them 3DS-style, and so on. When I read those posts, I thought in my head, "well, obviously you'll be able to use the Wiimote, or the CCP, or the Wii U gamepad, or the Wii U Pro Controller, or maybe even the New 3DS as a controller, but then I realized we really don't know one way or the other whether the NX controller will have some sort of unique feature (like the Wiimote did in its day) that will make the NX backwards incompatible with older Nintendo controllers.

So what do you guys think? To me it would be a huge missed opportunity for Nintendo to not capitalize on the millions of existing Wii and Wii U peripherals that are already in people's households, but I suppose they could have some kind of secret technology that they think would make it worth it ditching all those old peripherals.

For example, there was this patent a little while back:

Patent.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
I doubt most controllers will be backwards compatible with them, although I don't think it will be because of the new controller being unique. The Wii U Pro controller might be compatible with the NX, at least if Nintendo plans on re-releasing Wii U games on the system.

Goodtwin

No, they will want to sell new controllers to consumers. The NX will have its own Pro Controller, and those will sync to the NX. Who knows, perhaps Nintendo will still keep Wii remotes going for games like Just Dance. Maybe the detachable controllers have a lot of Wii remote capabilities. One thing is for sure, the Wii brand is dead, and they best not muddy the waters by talking about Wii products. Do not risk consumers being confused again.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

FriedShoes

MLG
well all signs are point to the idea that the second screen is not that integral to gameplay other than offering off-TV, look at how Zelda was handled at E3.
No, they will want to sell new controllers to consumers. The NX will have its own Pro Controller, and those will sync to the NX. Who knows, perhaps Nintendo will still keep Wii remotes going for games like Just Dance. Maybe the detachable controllers have a lot of Wii remote capabilities. One thing is for sure, the Wii brand is dead, and they best not muddy the waters by talking about Wii products. Do not risk consumers being confused again.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
this too, I expect NX will have their own Pro extra controllers.
Partially because I am still hoping that rotary bumpers are an added feature, and you will need those in everyone's hands.

Maybe you'll be able to play Wii/Wii U games with them, but thats as far as I expect them to go, you're not playing NX games with a gamepad and a Wii U Pro.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I think we will still see them in some capacity especially if there are bluetooth capabilities for the new system.

At least the Pro Controller will work. I don't think the Wiimote will.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
I think the controller will have a screen, but it's going to take on a different format and role than on the WiiU. Additionally, it will have a different resolution, and Nintendo wont like that. So the gamepad is out.

WiiMote is long in the tooth, time for it to get gone.

Also, I think there are a couple of features on the NX controller that you wouldn't be able to easily replicate on the pro controller, so it's out too.

I think we're starting fresh.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
So I'm really alone in believing that the games for the NX will very often be playable with the Wiimote and the Wii U gamepad, assuming that the controller doesn't have any crazy new tech?

In Travis' podcast, Fried and Mighty were discussing how the NX controller might be a one-stop solution for your IR, gyroscope, and touchscreen needs all in one, and will be of course in the hands of every single NX owner. That means that any given NX game can make use of any of those features and not worry about whether the install base has the correct peripheral for it. With that in mind, you guys still think that a game like Mario Kart 9 won't let you once again use your gamepad or Wiimotes for multiplayer, the same way the Wii U did?

Of course, that goes out the window if the controller does have some new tech. But it would to be something major in my opinion, not a minor change like the scrolling bumpers.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
If we're talking backwards compatible, I think the WiiMotes will be able to sync up to play multiplayer wii games, because I think the NX controller will probably have gyroscope and IR built into it.

For current NX multiplayer gaming, I'm thinking there will be NX Pro Controllers, that will have a gyroscope built in, since the Wii U Pro Controllers didn't have that. (See Splatoon)
I think you'll also be able to use multiple NX devices similar to when you use multiple 3DS systems for certain games.

As for older peripherals for new NX games, I honestly don't know. I can see the intelligence in using it because people already have the controllers, but I also see the smart idea of Nintendo not wanting to muddy the waters and saying "The Wii and WiiU are no more. NX is the future. Please understand."

tekshow

I can see the console being backward compatible. The majority seem to think it'll have a screen, so that's an easy fit for Wii U and 3ds games. Controller wise I don't know. The Pro, classic, and Wii motes will probably be compatible if this thing plays video games. I just see them distancing themselves from the Gamepad whether it works or not.

I can't wait to find out. ;)

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I can see it being backwards compatible with Wii U Pro Controllers for most games, GameCube Controllers (for Smash), and Wiimotes + Nunchucks for some games but, at the same time, I can also see Nintendo trying to distance themselves from the Wii brand and thus not supporting those controllers so it's kind of up in the air

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I can see it being backwards compatible with Wii U Pro Controllers for most games, GameCube Controllers (for Smash), and Wiimotes + Nunchucks for some games but, at the same time, I can also see Nintendo trying to distance themselves from the Wii brand and thus not supporting those controllers so it's kind of up in the air
@juegosmajicos @EvilTw1n @Goodtwin

Also no I don't think any previous controller makes the..............Switch

Goodtwin

Nope, the Arm CPUs run a different instruction set than PowerPC, and the ARM processor would not be able to emulate it, not enough horsepower. GameCube emulation is possible, I suppose Wii as well, but Wii U is certainly not in the cards. Besides, I think Nintendo will remaster many of Wii U's gems to keep a steady flow of games released.

Edit:

Crap, I didn't see the "Controllers" part of the title on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Odo

Wiimotes are wonderful. I hope they keep it.

One of my reasons is WiiFit. I wonder if they're going to keep their fitness app or improve it for Switch, because it's spectacular. I get that Wii U version sold poorly, though.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

One of my reasons is WiiFit. I wonder if they're going to keep their fitness app or improve it for Switch, because it's spectacular. I get that Wii U version sold poorly, though.
I would also like to see the Switch get a new version of the game I love it aswell.

Koenig

The Architect
My mind is ablaze with agreement and disagreement on that note.

I loved the Wii remote, but unless games intend to use its unique functions rather than as a standard controller with limited button configuration (Thereby limiting what any game can do when they use it), I feel that it is time to move on.

Odo

My mind is ablaze with agreement and disagreement on that note.

I loved the Wii remote, but unless games intend to use its unique functions rather than as a standard controller with limited button configuration (Thereby limiting what any game can do when they use it), I feel that it is time to move on.
Yes, I know what you mean.

Wii motes are wonderful themselves, but on the other hand, I think Nintendo should stick to pro controllers. That's how people understand consoles.

Wii motes are great for those specific games made for them but there aren't many of them anyway.