Do you want Nintendo to bring back sports...?

DO YOU WANT TO SEE SPORTS GAMES MAKE A COMEBACK ON NINTENDO CONSOLES IN THE FUTURE...?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Better yet, do Nintendo fans even care about sports games anymore...?

Nintendo has a long history of great sports titles going all the way back to the NES....

Nintendo consoles have hosted not only some of the best third party sports games on any console, but Nintendo themselves published some of the most memorible sports games of all time....

Let's take a look at each Nintendo Console Era at some of the best sports games from yesteryear....

First up is the NES....

The NES Era....

250px-Icehockeyvideogame.jpg

For fans of Nintendo sports games, the NES era played host to some special titles....

Ton of great third party sports games such as Tecmo Bowl & Super Tecmo Bowl from Tecmo....

Games like Double Dribble and Blades of Steele from Konami....

Blades_of_Steel_(NES)_(NA).jpg

And who could forget Bases Loaded from JALECO....

Then there were a shitload of first party published Nintendo Sports games released under their own Sports label....

Games like Ice Hockey and Baseball set the standard for fun, while games like Track N Field (From Konami) were actual workouts in the form of some of the worlds very first virtual sports with Power Pad....

This era also played host to some innovations in the form of racing and action games based on sports, like Mike Tyson's Punch Out (Boxing) and Excitbike (MotoX)....

Even games like Pinball (Pinball used to be a sport betches) and Pro Wrestling....

2362130-nes_prowrestling.0.jpg

The NES Era of Nintendo Sports was a very fruitful one, filled with hit after memorible hit....

It's by far the fondest Era of mine, not just in terms of Nintendo Sports, but in terms of Sports games period....

Games like Ice Hockey and Super Tecmo Bowl are STILL FUN TO PLAY EVEN TODAY!

That is a testiment to these games solid mechanics and pure fun factor....

Some of these games have stood the test of time very well, and for that should be honored by Nintendo and Sports game fans alike.....

This will be a multi part thread.... I will try to post at least one part a day....

In the next part of this thread I will discuss the SNES Era of Nintendo Sports games....

Feel free to comment in between my posts.... Oh and vote on the poll....

NINTENDO & SPORTS.... WHAT SAY YOU...?

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Kobe Bryant's NBA Court Side was one of my favorite games as a kid.

Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football.

That era of sports games was fucking ill before EA and 2K took everything over. I'd absolutely love to see that genre come back, and it would be super sweet to see Nintendo lead that charge.

Anyone remember Mutant League?

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
If Nintendo bought the IP and published mutant league hockey and football, I would jizz in my fucking office.

We talkin real semen. Fuckin sperm.

But this will never happen, cause Nintendo isn't smart or courageous enough to be this gangster.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Whilst I weep for things Nintendo will never do, I play Xbox One.

Worms Battlegrounds is very fun. And they gave it to me for free #gameswithgold

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

The SNES Era....

Filled with what is probably the biggest line up of sports titles for any Nintendo console, the SNES Era of Nintendo Sports offered Nintendo fans tons of variety....

This was the time of the Genesis, and SEGA's little black box played host to some of the most memorible sports titles from that era....

16-bit Sports games got there start on SEGA's Genesis, but once SNES came rolling out, so did the sports games, and they didn't stop coming....

As far as third parties go, SNES had variety to spare in terms of sports games....

If there was a sports game you wanted to play, chances are it was on SNES....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Famicom_and_Super_Nintendo_sports_games

There was literally something for everyone....

We saw new franshises like SUPER PLAY ACTION FOOTBALL and Ken Griffy Jr. Baseball....

And the introduction of Nintendo staples like F-ZERO, PILOTWINGS and MARIO KART....

2364824-snes_supermariokart.jpg

We saw updated sequels to some of our favorite NES sports games like Super Tecmo Bowl....

2200296-tecmo_super_bowl__snes_.jpg

Midawy brought home it's NBA JAM and Super High Imact Football series to great effect through Acclaim....

LJN and other third parties released a bunch wrestling titles, both licensed and unlicensed....

We even saw EA first get into the game on SNES with various titles from its various sports lines such as the MADDEN games and NHL series made famous on the SEGA Genesis....

Hell, the fighting game craze (which could today be considered an eSport) was alive and well on SNES thanks to the help of Capcom and a little title called SFII....

2364793-snes_streetfighterii.jpg

All in all the SNES Era of Sports games offered ton of titles in almost every genre and sub genre....

From simulation to fantastical....

Truly the Golden Era of Nintendo Sports games....

Nintendo fans would never see this kind of support for Nintendo consoles in terms of sports titles ever again....

But that certainly wasn't the end of great Nintendo Sports games....

Next I'll talk about the N64, the 3D revolution, how it changed sports games forver, and why N64 was great for Nintendo and Sports fans alike....

Last edited:

FriedShoes

MLG
I guess it depends on how ok you are with fantasy in your sports. Nintendo probably needs a way to secure both the simulation stuff (which I personally don't care for) and more fantastical, unrealistic stuff, which is usually handled by the Mario Sports label (the stuff I enjoy).
I just want a good wrestling game at some point, man, that isnt this WWE bullshit.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

The SNES Era....

Filled with what is probably the biggest line up of sports titles for any Nintendo console, the SNES Era of Nintendo Sports offered Nintendo fans tons of variety....

This was the time of the Genesis, and SEGA's little black box played host to some of the most memorible sports titles from that era....

16-bit Sports games got there start on SEGA's Genesis, but once SNES came rolling out, so did the sports games, and they didn't stop coming....

As far as third parties go, SNES had variety to spare in terms of sports games....

If there was a sports game you wanted to play, chances are it was on SNES....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Famicom_and_Super_Nintendo_sports_games

There was literally something for everyone....

We saw new franshises like SUPER PLAY ACTION FOOTBALL and Ken Griffy Jr. Baseball....

And the introduction of Nintendo staples like F-ZERO, PILOTWINGS and MARIO KART....

We saw updated sequels to some of our favorite NES sports games like Super Tecmo Bowl....

Midawy brought home it's NBA JAM and Super High Imact Football series to great effect through Acclaim....

LJN and other third parties released a bunch wrestling titles, both licensed and unlicensed....

We even saw EA first get into the game on SNES with various titles from its various sports lines such as the MADDEN games and NHL series made famous on the SEGA Genesis....

Hell, the fighting game craze (which could today be considered an eSport) was alive and well on SNES thanks to the help of Capcom and a little title called SFII....

All in all the SNES Era of Sports games offered ton of titles in almost every genre and sub genre....

From simulation to fantastical....

Truly the Golden Era of Nintendo Sports games....

Nintendo fans would never see this kind of support for Nintendo consoles in terms of sports titles ever again....

But that certainly wasn't the end of great Nintendo Sports games....

Next I'll talk about the N64, the 3D revolution, how it changed sports games forver, and why N64 was great for Nintendo and Sports fans alike....

Griffy was fucking MONSTER. I really wish I could go back to dem fomulative days of my vidya carrere. Those were the good times.

I enjoyed a few sports games in the past. NHL 99 on the 64 comes to mind.

I rented a fun baseball game on the SNES once.

But overall I couldn't care less about realistic sports games. I've always preferred more arcadey experiences compared to simulations. I like Need for Speed rather than Gran Turismo, or punch-out than whatever boxing games EA makes.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
The N64 Era....

n64-logo.gif

So now we get to the N64, and the jump Nintendo made to 3D certainly effected the sports game landscape....

PSX had already started producing full 3D sports games like Konami's In The Zone basketball before the N64 had even hit store shelves....

NBA In the Zone [U] [SLUS-00048]-front.jpg

So Nintendo was playing catch up right from the start.... But they came out swinging with Wave Race 64 just a couple months after launch....

maxresdefault (4).jpg

Wave Race 64 is another one of those sports games that is a little off in terms of having mass appeal (Jet Ski Racing...?), but it proved to be not only one of the best early Racing games on the N64, but in subsequent years, one of the best water racing games ever produced....

To this day I still swoon over the water effects in WR64....

Anyway, all was not well for Nintendo fans in terms of sports for many moons, as the N64 launched with only two games....

And even though it saw some steady releases soon after, right after that there was this huge drought of not only sports games, but any games what so ever....

But once the ball started rolling, we saw countless sports game releases for the system....

Third partied offered up Soccer, Football, Baseball and Hockey simulations....

Fifa, Madden, NBA Live and Triple Play were all present on N64 from EA....

You had Midway bring home conversions of it's popular sports arcade line, like NBA Hangtime, Wayne Grestky 3D Hockey and NFL Blitz....

Even boat racing and boxing with Hydro Thunder and Ready 2 Rumble respectively....

Revolutionary titles like Tony Hawk Pro Skater from Activision....

But then you also had Nintendo swinging for the fences on N64 when it came to first party published Sports games....

Games like Wave Race 64 were only the begining....

You had exclusives like Kobe Bryant NBA Courtside.... Which was arguably the best Basketball sim on the system....

You had snowboarding with 1080....

Baseball with Ken Griffy Jr.'s Slugfest....

We also saw the start of some of the most beloved Nintendo sports titles in Mario Tennis and Mario Golf....

You had Motocross with Exciebike 64....

You had flying simulations with Pilotwing's 64....

Then you even had exclusive thrid party sports games like Beettle Adventure Racing from EA....

N64_NA_BeetleAdventureRacing.jpg

Fun fact, Paradigm are the same folks who made Pilotwings 64....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilotwings_64

Anywho....

And last but not fucking least you had the exclusive wrestling games from THQ, Aki and Yukes.... Which are still considered today to be some of the best wrestling games ever made....

All in all, for the most part, 3D graphics brought Sports games into new relms in terms of immersivness and play control.... The n64 was truly a revolutionary console in many ways, and one of those ways not really mentioned is with sports games....

Nintendo sports was alive and well during this era, giving sports and Nintendo fans alike something to scream about....

Next up will be the GCN Era.... I'll discuss where it stands in the grand scheme of things, and point out some great third party sports titles for the system.... Until then, discuss....

Last edited:

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
I'd really love them to do a revival of sorts with some NES/SNES era top down or 3/4 view sports, like what they did with A Link Between Worlds vis a vis 3/4 top view Zelda. Make really precise, buttery smooth controls, nail that sense of weight and relationship to the ground and surroundings that simply make movement a joy. Doesn't need a ton of mechanics to be fun, doesn't need to go for a reality simulation (shouldn't in fact). Didn't they make a soccer game like this for 3DS but never localized it?

I'm still hoping for a new Punch-Out!! game for 3DS.

"Fantasy" elements in team sports are an interesting idea. I have never played one, but I hear Level 5's Inazuma Eleven mixes overt fantasy story and rpg elements into its fictitious soccer team campaign game. I could see Nintendo experimenting with that sort of approach to great success. Was there some of this in Mario Strikers Charged? (not developed by Nintendo, but still). I've talked a few times here about my conviction that the game-design soul of an NBA 2K game is an action RPG.

As for that whole Tony Hawk era of the sim-ish but ultimately arcade experience of individual sports realized as games (Wave Race, 1080 etc.) I never played any of Nintendo's contributions in that time, but I would definitely be down to try one now, particularly if they made an interesting use of motion controls available as part of the experience.

Odo

I'm not into sport games, but those are some of the titles I've played:

I own TG Rally and I played the Top Gear SNES trilogy. I love them all.

I played WCW vs NWO a lot. Nobody could defeat me.

Aki

YES!!!!

N64 had the best wrestling games of all time. WWF WrestleMania 2000 was killer and No Mercy is the undisputed GOAT when it comes to wrestling games. I played the shit out of that game with my buddies. Also, Kobe Bryant's Courtside was pretty cool as well.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
Yes, I'd love to see more sports games on Nintendo hardware, but I don't think that officially licensed games from sports leagues will do very well. I think Nintendo is good with stuff like Mario Golf and Strikers. Stuff like Madden won't sell all that well on Nintendo hardware these days I don't think. Wrong market.

Ex-Actarus

OF COURSE !!!

I'm just shocked that Nintendo can just IGNORE so many core gamers favorite type of games. You mentioned Sport, but we can also mention Shooters and RPGs.

Anyway as far sport is concerned, I'm VERY surprised Nintendo didn't push for more Sports games as they did on N64 days. This would have definitely help the Wii U. Can't they go for Russel Westbrook in NBA Courtside or Yasiel Puig's slugfest ?

Aki

OF COURSE !!!

I'm just shocked that Nintendo can just IGNORE so many core gamers favorite type of games. You mentioned Sport, but we can also mention Shooters and RPGs.

Anyway as far sport is concerned, I'm VERY surprised Nintendo didn't push for more Sports games as they did on N64 days. This would have definitely help the Wii U. Can't they go for Russel Westbrook in NBA Courtside or Yasiel Puig's slugfest ?
Sony has already captured Puig for it's MLB The Show series. He's looking real stud on the various covers of the game.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
The GCN Era....

The Gamecube Era was very fruitful indeed for Nintendo and Sports fans alike.... With The Gamecube being on par with the PS2 and the XBOX in terms of power, third parties like EA were able to easliy begin porting their famous sports line-up (as well as almost everything else that came out that gen) over to the GCN....

Nintendo had full support from thrid parties during this time, and it payed off in terms of variety and quality when it came to sports games....

From Madden to SSX, EA had a huge presence on the little purple purse....

Activision and THQ also brought there A games to the GCN.... Tony Hawk & Dave Mirra from Activion.... And the exclusive wrestling games from Yukes and THQ....

And then of course BanDai's own exclusive wrestling game Ultimate Muscle.... Which was the shit....

You also had the 2K series of games published by SEGA in basketball and football.... Hell, SEGA even brough home Beach Spikers to GCN....

17172_front.jpg

But then you also had Nintendo with its own first party published sports games....

You had Mario Golf Toadstool Tour....

MarioGolfToadstoolTourCover.jpg

Mario Power Tennis....

Mario Superstar Baseball....

1080 Avalanche....

Super Mario Strikers....

Super-Mario-Strikers-1_Cube_US_ESRB.jpg

I mean, for all intensive purposes, the Gamecube played host to some of the best Sports content Nintendo has ever offered up....

There was literally something for everyone.... And with the GCN being comparible in power to the compition, there wasn't all these third party troubles we saw begin to happen with the Wii....

Speaking of which, in my next post I will finally discuss the Wii, its own sports game dilema, and how that problem followed Nintendo to the Wii U....

Last edited:
Yes.

Looking at a lot of those games you posted, they seem to mostly be from 'innocent times', before athletes, leagues, agents, sponsors, sponsors of agents, leagues of sponsors demanded a billion for the rights to mention their names.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I think the time is right for a sports game centered around croquet. But it'll have a Smash feel to it from the standpoint of you don't hit a ball, but instead your opponent's head. First one to knock the head into a cannon, which will send it flying to the air in Skyloft from Skyward Sword, or even levels from Mario Galaxy wins. And accuracy is key, so if you land somewhere lamer than your opponent, you lose.

Ex-Actarus

Good addition to the Wii U library, but I'm no excited at all by that title.

For some reasons, the Mario Tennis games never managed to emulate the greatness of the original on N64... I'm still playing Mario Tennis 64 to this day. The game is still amazing !