Doctor Who [there will likely be spoilers]

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
Honestly, this thread simply needed to exist.

Uhm...
This got posted on my Facebook wall this morning:

So, I guess... Peter Capaldi - the 12th Doctor and the supposed whole new set of regenerations: thoughts?

Yeah, let's go straight for controversy...

Tucker

Yeah, I'm definitely stoked for Capaldi. It's going to be nice to go back to an older doctor - in fact, Capaldi is as old as Hartnell was (though clearly in far better shape).

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
I have seen like 5 episodes...... I <3 Amy. And I also like Bob. I don't know why. He was a LIKEABLE Weeping Angel.

Tucker

Did you start on Matt Smith? Why would you do that to yourself? At least go back to Eccleston...

Tucker

Your friends are wrong. They're bad people and they should feel bad.

Smith is 11, Eccleston is 9. I understand people not wanting to watch all of the original run, but they should definitely watch all of the revived series - warts and all.

To be fair, for a newcomer I think starting with Smith is the best shout, and if they like what they see, go back and start with Eccleston instead. Or at least Tennant. You don't miss out on much by not watching 9's run but it's worth it if you enjoy the show.

Tucker

BAH GROUNDHOG DAY
He's done a couple episodes of Smith and likes it. Now is the time to start back in 2005 and make his way to present.

Aye, agreed. Certainly worth it, I've done the occasional binge on a couple series in one day with Netflix.
In other news, photographers have reportedly photographed Capaldi in his costume, which we should see pretty soon (some people even saying tomorrow.) Can't wait to see what it is.

Tucker

I'm staying away from all that kind of stuff until it premieres in autumn. The new costume reveal is a lot of the fun! I mean, the Eleventh Hour costume reveal was boss as hell.

Menashe

I started with Smith and worked my way backwards until I became a die-hard. I'm actually thankful I started with Smith because I think he was the most approachable for someone who wasn't familiar with the series. And then once I was more familiar with the Doctor's universe and shenanigans, I was able to appreciate the nuances of the other doctors.
And I'm looking forward to Capaldi only because I think it's time to move on from Smith. Time for new blood!
(I'm also watching Capaldi in a new show that just started airing called The Musketeers. He's not bad in that one. Although technically, he is bad, because he plays the villain.)

Tucker

I have a lot of patience for Sci-Fi (I must, I love Farscape), so I just went for it, and by the end of Eccleston's run I was utterly hooked.

Also: 500th post is in a Doctor Who thread.