Don't expect another patch for Batman: Arkham Origins

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-10-dont-expect-another-patch-for-batman-arkham-origins
This part right here is why some AAA developers are failing as developers:
"If we do move forward with creating a new patch, it will try to address the progression blocking bugs for players, not the minor glitches that do not prevent one from continuing to play. The issues that are not progression blockers will unfortunately no longer be addressed."

I simply do not understand this line of logic. Back when console games did not have patches and DLC, what you got was a complete game, not just from a game content situation, but also that the game would usually be free of any bugs and glitches. Now because consoles are so connected with the internet, it sort of gives a lot of these developer some leeway and say, "Well, this bug is annoying, but we'll fix it later." Or you get this: "Well, we could add this mission to the game, but we could make more money by locking it out of the game, and then have gamers pay to unlock it."
I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting, but I truly miss the days when you bought and played a game, it was both complete and did not have game breaking glitches or bugs that cuased much annoyance to the player. Is it really too much to ask to fix what should be fixed?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
No, that's certainly messed up. If I can not expect them to give me a fully-developed game when I pay $60 up front for their game, why should they expect me to pay $60 up front in the first place? By attempting to twist the definition of what is and what isn't "right" to put out as patches and DLC after the game has released, publishers are breaking the bond of trust that used to be there between gamers and game developers.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
No, that's certainly messed up. If I can not expect them to give me a fully-developed game when I pay $60 up front for their game, why should they expect me to pay $60 up front in the first place? By attempting to twist the definition of what is and what isn't "right" to put out as patches and DLC after the game has released, publishers are breaking the bond of trust that used to be there between gamers and game developers.
Oh man Jueg how much this
=D>

Your post could be the reason I won't day 1 the next CoD. ET hit it right one night playing he said "when will we get tired of being the beta testers?" And you know what, I'm pretty sure I'm there.

And the bad thing is I see more and more AAA headed this way. What game dosent come with a patch no more from third party? And frankly I'm getting tired of being a beta tester. And while I like and have bought some DLC the thought of "get day 1 DLC here first" makes me sick. If it was that ready put it on the disk!

Remember when gamers used to demand quality?
EDIT: In regards to Wii U's situation, I'm of the opinion that most Nintendo owners won't miss them if they do end up leaving. Third parties have left a bad taste in their mouth all throughout 2013. 2014 will be either make a complete game or don't bother at all.

Shoulder

Oh man Jueg how much this
=D>

Your post could be the reason I won't day 1 the next CoD. ET hit it right one night playing he said "when will we get tired of being the beta testers?" And you know what, I'm pretty sure I'm there.

And the bad thing is I see more and more AAA headed this way. What game dosent come with a patch no more from third party? And frankly I'm getting tired of being a beta tester. And while I like and have bought some DLC the thought of "get day 1 DLC here first" makes me sick. If it was that ready put it on the disk!
Don't forget that some games have the DLC already on the disc, but is simply locked out until you "buy" it to unlock it. Truly one of the worst offenses in micro transactions and price gauging.

I was checking out IGNorant the other day, and a thread was about those 120 indie games coming out for the Wii U. It was baffling that the people there were playing this news off as meh, because it might not sell consoles, among other things. It was even more baffling when some there were saying that most indie games are shovelware and crap. I can almost guarantee if this news were on the PS4 or X1, the mentality would've been different.

I was even calling out on some guy who said he wants the big games. But I feel most of what I say these days there goes on deaf ears, and that's fine. But my point in all this is those indie games are almost assuredly going to feel like more complete games than some of the AAA titles out there.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I miss the time before achievements and trophies when cheating in games was not only not frowned upon, but looked up to....
Ever since the introduction of achievements people have been getting penalized for cheating in video games instead of being rewarded....
I remember a time before all this DLC nonsense and achievement whoring.... A much purer time when you got what you fucking payed for....
I also miss not having to pay for extras in games that should have been included as bonuses to begin with.... Fucking pricks....
The DLC situation is just going to get worse.... I honestly believe everybody thinks their DLC will be the next COD map pack sensation.... It's just complete nonsense....
What's even worse is then they release the game with ALL THE DLC, later on after everyone else has already bought the DLC in its' previous form, all on a single disc and FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE ORIGINAL RELEASE!

Aki

As most gamers, I frown upon these types of practices that are becoming more common amongst third party studios. Granted, this game was a cash-in and none of the bugs in the game prevent you from completing it.

The studio who made this game probably does not have the capacity to work on the DLC and fix the game's issues. If they weren't being pressured by their publisher, Warner Bros, this probably wouldn't have happened. Unfortunately, more and more third party devs are trying to expand to a size that they can't adequately manage for the sake of gaining more money.

I don't see this practice stopping anytime soon. With some of these franchises, there's too much money involved. Transitioning into the HD era was expensive and complicated for most companies as Nintendo will attest to. Some of these games probably cost so much to make that they need to put out an extra game to recoup the money spent making the previous entries in the series. Either that, or there's just too many fans of the series that the best possible decision for the publisher is to rush another game out.

Shoulder

...and people wonder why I tend to get my games after some price drops

I'm finding myself doing that more and more, partly because I have all these other games to play, so by the time I get around to purchasing a newer title, it has already dropped in price. If there's a game that I know I'll like, I'm much more inclined to paying 50-60 bucks for it. Recent examples in my case are GTAV, The Last of Us, The Wind Waker HD, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut.
The latter of the two I'd already previous played when they first came out, but loved them so much I just had to double dip when they launched on the Wii U. Now interestingly enough, I am much more inclined to paying full price for an Indie game, which will go for 10-20 dollars in most cases. Simply put, there's a certain threshold where the likelihood of myself purchasing a game goes down dramatically as price goes up (not surprising). There are only a select few must-have games out there these days, and the ones where I know I'll like, but have other games to play, I'll usually put it off until a later date, and maybe the price will drop. ACIV: Black Flag is one recent example where I hear nothing, but good things about it, and yet because of my backlog, it will be awhile before I can get around to playing it. Now, if there's a really good deal out there, which goes on for a couple days or a week, the game and price can push me over the edge to biting the bullet. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is my most recent example, and I was glad I bought when I did.

Odo

I'm finding myself doing that more and more, partly because I have all these other games to play, so by the time I get around to purchasing a newer title, it has already dropped in price. If there's a game that I know I'll like, I'm much more inclined to paying 50-60 bucks for it. Recent examples in my case are GTAV, The Last of Us, The Wind Waker HD, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut.
The latter of the two I'd already previous played when they first came out, but loved them so much I just had to double dip when they launched on the Wii U. Now interestingly enough, I am much more inclined to paying full price for an Indie game, which will go for 10-20 dollars in most cases. Simply put, there's a certain threshold where the likelihood of myself purchasing a game goes down dramatically as price goes up (not surprising). There are only a select few must-have games out there these days, and the ones where I know I'll like, but have other games to play, I'll usually put it off until a later date, and maybe the price will drop. ACIV: Black Flag is one recent example where I hear nothing, but good things about it, and yet because of my backlog, it will be awhile before I can get around to playing it. Now, if there's a really good deal out there, which goes on for a couple days or a week, the game and price can push me over the edge to biting the bullet. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is my most recent example, and I was glad I bought when I did.
Me too. I hardly remember the last game I've pre-ordered.
I've got a big list of old games to play, some of them are DS games. In fact, I'm still buying DS games (I've just bought two this month) and last year I bought some GC games. There's no pressure here to buy new releases.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
There are precious few games I feel compelled to buy day one for full price. It's pretty much Zelda and Metroid. Monster Hunter could be making its way to this list, but almost anything else can wait.

Shoulder

There are precious few games I feel compelled to buy day one for full price. It's pretty much Zelda and Metroid. Monster Hunter could be making its way to this list, but almost anything else can wait.
Cept low print rpg's.

Dude, you are so right about that. Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower I doubt I would've been able to get those unless I had bought them at launch. Xenoblade is my #2 all-time game, and I've still yet to play TLS, and PT. I hear the other two are not as good as Xenoblade, but are still worth your time.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

..and people wonder why I tend to get my games after some price drops
Cept low print rpg's.

Dude, you are so right about that. Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower I doubt I would've been able to get those unless I had bought them at launch. Xenoblade is my #2 all-time game, and I've still yet to play TLS, and PT. I hear the other two are not as good as Xenoblade, but are still worth your time.
They're different kinds of games imo

EvilTw1n

Cept low print rpg's.

True. And I'll probably break down and buy Child of Light day one, too.

I hear the other two are not as good as Xenoblade, but are still worth your time.
Ohhhh no, not in my opinion. :>
[EDIT - And by that, I mean I think Xenoblade is the least of the three. PT is tops with me.]

But Laer is right; they're very different games. Majico wrote an article awhile back comparing different brands of JRPGs, and how games like XB are deeply invested in the game world, and games like TLS are invested more in the narrative and characters. Pandora's Tower isn't a typical RPG at all; it's an ARPG with damn great combat, and the leveling up is very subdued - probably even more than Muramasa.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Right, SMT and Bravely Default are very different kinds of RPG. Thats why I dont like the term JRPG because when people say that they think of FF and Dragon Quest

EvilTw1n

^
Well, the inclination is for everyone to call anything from Japan a JRPG. But a game like Pandora's Tower really fits the bill as an ARPG (while TLS incorporates elements of action, strategy and even cover shooting).

...and I realize I should shut up now, because this is a Batman thread.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I was very pleased with Arkham Origins.... Human Head made a great port of a buggy game so.... But imo all games are buggy in some fashion or form these days....
I find it's just something that is natural within games.... Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever played a game that didn't have a bug or glitch in it, ever....
Going all the way back to ATARI and NES I can remember glitches and bugs in some of my favorite games.... I remember enjoying most of them too...

Shoulder

I was very pleased with Arkham Origins.... Human Head made a great port of a buggy game so.... But imo all games are buggy in some fashion or form these days....
I find it's just something that is natural within games.... Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever played a game that didn't have a bug or glitch in it, ever....
Going all the way back to ATARI and NES I can remember glitches and bugs in some of my favorite games.... I remember enjoying most of them too...

I think glitches here and there are one thing, but when they start interfering with the gameplay, or outright prevent you from continuing the game is where I draw the line. But thinking about it, you're probably right about games to a certain extent always having bugs in them. Maybe what I did't consider a glitch in the game really was a glitch. I suppose I have this mindset where the games of the 90s were practically flawless and you could play them for hours and hours without having to worry about any game-breaking glitch or the system freezing even (which did happen from time to time). When I play NFS: Most Wanted for example, I sometimes wonder if the game will freeze, or when I start the race, my car will not start at the same pace as the others, things like that. For the most part, they are simply annoyances, but I say that because these annoyances shouldn't be part of the game. There have been some pretty infamous glitches that people laughed at (recently the Aliens: CM one of the Alien just walking casually by you), and so forth, but I wonder if because developers have such a time schedule to fulfill, they are at times forced to compromise not just on features to add for later dates (DLC), but also compromise the game itself and simply patch them up at later dates (which would not surprise me one bit).
It is possible that this helps explain why I don't pay full-price for a lot of games these days because of these day-one patches (I do make exceptions of course), and other future patches when these issues should've been addressed in the first place. I will say though that because games of twenty years ago are nowhere near as complicated as today's games, they are less likely to go wrong and have problems. There's an interesting factoid about the Saturn V rocket I remember which had over 6 million components in it (also one of the most complicated pieces of technology ever designed by man), and it had a 99.9% success rate, which means you have some 6,000 components which would fail on a given mission. Games I think are approaching that threshold of so many things going on that something is bound to fail or have issue at some point.
But like I said, I think you're probably right. Maybe it is just something we will ultimately have to accept as games become more complicated, but if that's the future of where video games are headed, I don't think I'll be able to handle it as well as others. I look at buggy games like a badly edited movie. The flow has been disrupted, some things just don't make sense, and at times you find something happening before it actually happens. When it comes to the presentation of a game, that is where I try and focus a lot of my attention to because a finely tuned game is like a finely crafted piece of art with little to no imperfections. This is where I want video games heading to, and I believe it's possible. But I suspect part of the problem is you have all these games on multiple platforms with different architectures and power outputs, something is bound to go wrong at some point or another.
Ultimately, I simply don't want the type of mentality from developers that, "Well, we could fix this issue, but instead we're going to opt to adding in more DLC."

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Human Head are the guys from Raven, So they're awesome

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I want to ask a question about the Arkham Origins DLC?
Is any of it extra storyline? Like Harley Quinn's Revenge in Arkham City? Or is it just costumes and challenge maps for the stuff in the Batcave?

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Is any of it extra storyline? Like Harley Quinn's Revenge in Arkham City? Or is it just costumes and challenge maps for the stuff in the Batcave?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cx8ZImK8M4

Shoulder

It's still too bad they decided to outright cancel any future DLC. But if I'm brutally honest, I doubt I would've made the plunge into getting it. It's not so much for myself, but rather everyone else who does want DLC is why I'm slightly crossed the DLC was cancelled.

GaemzDood

There were tons of games with game breaking glitches out the fucking ass back then. No offense, but the "fuck the man" mentality going on here a lot is insane.

PlsRespond420

Shoulder

There were tons of games with game breaking glitches out the fucking ass back then. No offense, but the "fuck the man" mentality going on here a lot is insane.

PlsRespond420

If you read my post, then you would've also read that perceptions probably changed. In other words, what I might've not considered a glitch in an earlier game really was a glitch, or perhaps we just didn't care, or took notice of glitches as much. I simply do not know. Personally, I don't have much of a memory of when games were constantly locking up or glitching to the point where it made me stop playing the game.
Like I said in one of my earlier posts, it's entirely possible games were just glitchy back then as they are now, but I certainly don't recall them being that bad. I also didn't play video games as often back then as I do now, so statistically I was not as likely to come across glitches in different video games simply because my library wasn't as large.

It's still too bad they decided to outright cancel any future DLC. But if I'm brutally honest, I doubt I would've made the plunge into getting it. It's not so much for myself, but rather everyone else who does want DLC is why I'm slightly crossed the DLC was cancelled.
Just a quick not for people entering this thread or unaware of the situation. That last statement is misleading. The DLC wasn't cancelled as a whole. Only the method of buying a "season pass" to get it in packs.

Shoulder

Just a quick not for people entering this thread or unaware of the situation. That last statement is misleading. The DLC wasn't cancelled as a whole. Only the method of buying a "season pass" to get it in packs.

Wait, so all the DLC for the Wii U is there, but no season pass? Last I heard, future DLC wasn't coming to the Wii U, or did we all miss something, or something get updated? :-/