Doom: Switch Edition

Goodtwin

Who else is getting Doom? I didn't expect to run through Mario Odyssey so quickly, so my sight is on Doom a bit sooner than I expected. I haven't played Doom since Doom 64, but this version looks like great gory arcadey shooting bliss. Probably should purchase superior version on PC, but I want to support Bethesdas efforts on Switch.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

BobSilencieux

I definitely want DOOM, but I'm not sure if funds will allow, especially considering the huge amount of games I already have to play right now, I'm not sure I could justify it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'll probably wait a bit on it. I got Rocket League and Xenoblade 2 inbound, and a lot of work to get done this month.

Goodtwin

Nintendo systems have been a unique market to crack for many third party publishers. Many publishers view the audience as a Nintendo centric userbase who isn't really interested in third party games that excel on other platforms. Games like Doom, Skyrim and LA Noir are going to speak volumes with publishers. If you want these types of games on Switch, then you need to speak with your wallet.

So far pretty much every port has been solid. Wii U had a crap ton of ports, and many of them had serious framerate problems. So far most of these ports to Switch have prioritized a stable framerate. I know DF was kind of hard on Sonic Forces, but in my mind the game runs at a stable 30fps. It shouldn't be news worthy to mention that the Switch build isn't up to par with a console that also heats my home.

It's sad that LA Noire, Skyrim and Doom are the tests for some of these companies. LA Noire and Skyrim are last gen remasters, and Skyrim has already been ported to pretty much everything. Doom is a last year game. A proper "test" should be a same day launch as the other versions.

Meanwhile you got Bandai Namco saying they're pleased and they'll have three Switch exclusives.

https://www.destructoid.com/bandai-...-including-three-exclusive-games-471406.phtml

GaemzDood

Nintendo systems have been a unique market to crack for many third party publishers. Many publishers view the audience as a Nintendo centric userbase who isn't really interested in third party games that excel on other platforms. Games like Doom, Skyrim and LA Noir are going to speak volumes with publishers. If you want these types of games on Switch, then you need to speak with your wallet.

So far pretty much every port has been solid. Wii U had a crap ton of ports, and many of them had serious framerate problems. So far most of these ports to Switch have prioritized a stable framerate. I know DF was kind of hard on Sonic Forces, but in my mind the game runs at a stable 30fps. It shouldn't be news worthy to mention that the Switch build isn't up to par with a console that also heats my home.
Considering it only runs at 30 FPS, it shouldn't have been as downgraded, especially when you look at vastly superior looking multiplats like DOOM, RiME, Rocket League, and Lego City Undercover. I wouldn't mind the downgrades and 720p resolution if the game was 60 FPS, with an option to enable the PS4/Xbone visuals at 30.

GaemzDood

I'm buying it as soon as I get a Switch, which will probably be after a couple paychecks. The idea of a game like DOOM on a comfortable portable screen is salivating.

Think about it. Sony tried to replicate the home console experience on handhelds two times, but it failed for the most part. A lot of home console ports to the PSP and Vita suffered from major performance issues and severe downgrades. Nintendo tried it once and already we're seeing solid ports of titles like Rocket League and DOOM, with the latter being an extremely power hungry game. My PS4 sounds like it's gonna explode without Boost Mode and it draws about 178 watts of power, more than Infamous: Second Son, a title notorious for pushing the PS4's power draw.

FriedShoes

MLG
I'm buying it as soon as I get a Switch, which will probably be after a couple paychecks. The idea of a game like DOOM on a comfortable portable screen is salivating.

Think about it. Sony tried to replicate the home console experience on handhelds two times, but it failed for the most part. A lot of home console ports to the PSP and Vita suffered from major performance issues and severe downgrades. Nintendo tried it once and already we're seeing solid ports of titles like Rocket League and DOOM, with the latter being an extremely power hungry game. My PS4 sounds like it's gonna explode without Boost Mode and it draws about 178 watts of power, more than Infamous: Second Son, a title notorious for pushing the PS4's power draw.
Its cheaper to buy Doom now to support it and then save up for a Switch later
food for thought

Goodtwin

Are there any figures about how well the game's been doing with pre-orders?
I haven't seen anything. Skyrim is already charting on the eshop, but I think the larger file size for Doom may push more people to go physical. If Dragonball Xenoverse 2 can sell over 300k already, then I would think both Doom and Skyrim should cruise to half a million sold without trouble. Hitting a million would make a huge statement, but I think that is an ambitious goal.

Last edited:

GaemzDood

I haven't seen anything. Skyrim is already charting on the eshop, but I think the larger file size for Doom may push more people to go physical. If Dragonball Xenoverse 2 can sell over 300k already, then I would think both Doom and Skyrim should cruise to half a million sold without trouble. Hitting a million would make a huge statement, but I think that is an ambitious goal.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
You have no idea how amazing this news is. This literally would have never happened on any previous Nintendo system.

Koenig

The Architect
You have no idea how amazing this news is. This literally would have never happened on any previous Nintendo system.
To be fair, the only Nintendo system that had full game downloads prior to the Switch was the Wii U, so... I am pretty sure a handful of third party games would have been charting on the "E-shop" prior to release IF older Nintendo systems actually had an E-shop at that time (And by extent, that customers had the internet infrastructure to actually buy and download it).

GaemzDood

To be fair, the only system that had full game downloads below this was the Wii U, so... I am pretty sure a handful of third party games would have been charting on the "E-shop" prior to release IF older Nintendo systems actually had an E-shop at that time (And by extent, that customers had the internet infrastructure to actually buy it).
But the fact that a Mature rated 3rd party title like Skyrim is even doing this well is still news.

Like I said, polish and marketing pays off. You keep the visuals up to date, make the framerate solid, add all of the DLC, and market the damn thing, you'll see results.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Based on some of the early direct feed footage, DOOM looks mighty impressive on the Nintendo Switch. Sure, it's blurrier, and not as detailed as the PS4/X1 versions, butno one in their right mind thought that.

Performance also appears quite stable with maybe a couple hiccups here and there, but PS4/X1 also had slowdown too, so we can gloss over that.

Definitely looks like a very solid port. :mthumb:

Shoulder

Im very impressed and if I had no inkling on how it looked on other consoles I would be very happy with this, it looks good.
That's most surprising part. Geometry is exactly the same as other versions, so the differences are down to textures, resolution, shadows, frame rate, and whatnot. The difference between the versions doesn't even look like a generational gap, but more like running DOOM on a much older spec PC. Same exact game, just slightly different look, and certainly not bad by any means.

This whole thing makes me hopeful for Wolfenstein 2 when that comes out next year.

Goodtwin

I have played an hour of Doom so far, all portably, and it's fast and furious action. Looks nice. Textures at times look a bit low res, but the post processing is insane. The game certainly had a blurry look to it. Sometime intentional and other times due to hardware limitations. I wish text was larger, very tough to read. Frame rate early on has been rock solid. I'm sure later more chaotic encounters will cause some stutters, but so far it feels as good as a 30fps can. So far so good.

GaemzDood

I would get it, but already have it on PC. But I am glad that Nintendo is opening up to more non-pg-13 games :)
If the gamers open up to them, that's really is what going to matter. Nintendo supporting them with ads/marketing means nothing if the users don't support them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am very much enjoying my time with the game thus far. But two things are bugging me. One, I also wish the text was larger, even on docked mode its pretty small font.
Secondly, goddamn I wish the game had gyro controls. I've gotten used to the controls and I'm loving the speed and movement, but I still find myself shifting my controller to adjust or fine tune my aim or make quicker turns than possible with a stick. To no avail, of course. I'm playing on Ultra Violence and sometimes feel I'd be doing much better if the game had a Splatoon-like setup. Still, very fun game, just a bummer that this option isnt being made available, would have done wonders.

GaemzDood

Considering how demanding this game is, I wonder how much battery life it sucks in portable mode.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shoulder

I like how they took into account that while it is the worst looking version, given the hardware used here, is mighty impressive. Honestly, I would love to check this out at some point just to try out Doom once again on a portable device. I used to own the GBA version of Doom back in the day, and it was great to play despite it being not the greatest port of the time.

This makes me more excited for Wolfenstein 2, and what can be done to get it working properly. It also looks like Machine games themselves are the ones porting it over (unless it's not officially confirmed), so I am interested in how this will fair in the end next year.

Goodtwin

I played for about two hours today portably. I think DF's video is pretty spot on. As a portable shooter, this game is mighty impressive. Sure, it's a bit blurry, but it is still a looker just the same. The temporal aliasing keeps the jaggies to a bare minimum. The framerate has still held up remarkably well. I have had a few stutters, but I think the motion blur makes minor dips less noticable to me.

I'm not sure if Doom reinforces the idea that multi plat games can easily be ported to Switch or not. It is a 60fps 1080p game on the other consoles, and 600p 30fps docked in Switch. How would a 900p 30fps game handle the transition? Could get pretty ugly.

Koenig

The Architect
I played for about two hours today portably. I think DF's video is pretty spot on. As a portable shooter, this game is mighty impressive. Sure, it's a bit blurry, but it is still a looker just the same. The temporal aliasing keeps the jaggies to a bare minimum. The framerate has still held up remarkably well. I have had a few stutters, but I think the motion blur makes minor dips less noticable to me.

I'm not sure if Doom reinforces the idea that multi plat games can easily be ported to Switch or not. It is a 60fps 1080p game on the other consoles, and 600p 30fps docked in Switch. How would a 900p 30fps game handle the transition? Could get pretty ugly.

From the looks of it, any 60 FPS game could be ported to the switch, while any 30 FPS game would likely required extensive modification to get it to work (Possibly cutting off a portion of the world and rendering it as you went, similar to how the maps in the Wii CoD mutliplayer titles were handled).

So completely possible, but the effort needed will vary depending on the game.

GaemzDood

We already have an example of that: Snake Pass. Runs at 1536x864p at 30 FPS on PS4 and Xbox One, 675p at a solid 30 FPS on Switch. Dragon Quest XI is also 900p and 30 FPS on PS4, which in itself is unacceptable on the PS4 (though UE4 uses artist driven shaders and is compute lite, hence why so many UE4 PS4 titles are badly optimized).

GaemzDood

Some things they probably should have done:
- For large scale battles like Arcade at the highest difficulty, render the enemies at a lower framerate a la Halo 5, Nioh, and Bloodborne.
- Occlusion culling for off-screen objects.
- Speaking of that, take notes from Space Marine, a locked 30 FPS deferred rendered game on the PS3 with insanely low input lag: specifically "splatting" shadows in screen space and screen space deferred decals.
- Allow for the option to enable frame skipping and fix frame pacing issues.

GaemzDood

The omission of screen space reflections is odd considering even Killzone Mercenary on Vita featured them.

The game seems to run pretty similarly to that title, which means that if somebody creates a clock speed hack on the Switch, I'm using it.

Goodtwin

I suppose it's important to remember that while Doom had a max resolution of 1080p, DF reported 828p for the majority of play on Xbox One. Frame-rate also dipped into the 40's on Xbox One.

As for missing screen space reflections, nothing is free. They must have felt they weren't worth the resources.

noticing some bugs in connection to audio. Had audio completely cut out at one point just now, very weird. Also had loud VERY LOUD droning noises, scared me, am certain it wasnt intentional.
I had 2 slo-mo segments so far, but otherwise have been pretty impressed with how its held up especially in Ultra Violence. I only just made it into Hell so thats a good chunk to go without much issues.

Hopefully gyro gets added with a patch that the game kinda needs :pray:

GaemzDood

I suppose it's important to remember that while Doom had a max resolution of 1080p, DF reported 828p for the majority of play on Xbox One. Frame-rate also dipped into the 40's on Xbox One.

As for missing screen space reflections, nothing is free. They must have felt they weren't worth the resources.

The Xbox One port is all over the place. The PS4 port runs at 1080p at almost all the time. I didn't notice dips in resolution most of the time when I played it on my standard PS4, and I'm pretty good at noticing low resolutions.

Shoulder

noticing some bugs in connection to audio. Had audio completely cut out at one point just now, very weird. Also had loud VERY LOUD droning noises, scared me, am certain it wasnt intentional.
I had 2 slo-mo segments so far, but otherwise have been pretty impressed with how its held up especially in Ultra Violence. I only just made it into Hell so thats a good chunk to go without much issues.

Hopefully gyro gets added with a patch that the game kinda needs :pray:
A patch is likely to be made to address the audio issues, and now that DF pointed out, perhaps the frame pacing issues. I recall that Panic Button are aware of the audio issue, and will issue an update soon.

Koenig

The Architect
I am liking the game so far, except for the platforming sections; Doom guy tends to take the idea of "Grab the ledge" as a general suggestion rather than an actual game mechanic. I have died more from botched platforming than I have the hordes of hell.

I am liking the game so far, except for the platforming sections; Doom guy tends to take the idea of "Grab the ledge" as a general suggestion rather than an actual game mechanic. I have died more from botched platforming than I have the hordes of hell.
ah yes I concur. FPS platforming is always bad, and Doom is no different. The little arenas of combat seem to be more forgiving but the straight platforming segments are really messed up. Also Doomguy taking fall damage still irks me.

Goodtwin

This isn't a problem here, but around the web haters are cherry picking the rough spots in Doom on Switch. The biggest knock that could really deter people is the framerate, but here is what John at DF actually said.

There are ways to mitigate this, however, but you may not like them. For example, playing the normal campaign and selecting an easier setting helps matters significantly. The reduction in enemy numbers helps the frame-rate remain closer to 30fps. Having played the campaign before though, we're big fans of arcade mode and playing on the Ultra Violence setting, results in a significant amount of slowdown. The poor Switch really struggles during these combat sequences.
If your playing the campaign on one of the lower difficulty settings, Doom holds pretty tight to that 30fps. I have only experienced stutter in a couple of the biggest encounters, and it never felt like the framerate tanked, but I notice even a few dropped frames. Bottom line is there are people who are salty that they were wrong, and Switch is getting a game like Doom. Now they want to downplay it and spread misinformation.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
If Nintendo had marketed the Switch as a handheld only, people would be pissing their pants at the fact that DOOM is playable on it. But somehow the fact that the system is portable goes completely unmentioned during these discussions on the average comment section of any given site.

I think it's going to take a while for the average gamer from traditional gaming websites and forums to understand the appeal of a system that can play DOOM on the go, and Pokemon on the living room TV. They'll be left behind while mainstream audiences buy the hell out of the system and portable game design starts to blend with home console game design.