Doom: Switch Edition

Koenig

The Architect
I wish we had more competent studio's like Panic Button around willing to do ports. There are plenty of great games like Doom that could get a second wind on the Switch if there was a developer willing to tackle them.

PS: I am really looking forward to trying out the online once I get my Switch back; whenever that is.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
One thing though, might be my controllers but it also happened on my Pro when I played a few days ago: has your camera shifted suddenly to the left or right without any controller or gyro input? I dont know what it is, but it happened like 5 times last night and was very annoying. I dont think its drift, but I dont think its my controllers either.
This is what I've been referring to as drift these past few days. It happens regardless of Pro Controller or Joy Cons. Every time you move the controller, you will have to fight some drift. It's always in the opposite direction than your last movement; if you flick your controller up and then stop, you'll see the camera move downward for a second or two after you stop. Every. Time.

I do call it drift because it changes the direction that you have to point your controller (if you don't reset the camera). Yesterday I thought I'd play through a fight without resetting the controller just to see how bad it got. I started pointing the shoulder buttons toward the horizon (same in-game), and in less than 20 seconds I was pointing the shoulder buttons somewhere behind me just to keep the camera toward the horizon.

They really screwed up the gyro aiming.

Meanwhile, in Splatoon:

This is what I've been referring to as drift these past few days. It happens regardless of Pro Controller or Joy Cons. Every time you move the controller, you will have to fight some drift. It's always in the opposite direction than your last movement; if you flick your controller up and then stop, you'll see the camera move downward for a second or two after you stop. Every. Time.

I do call it drift because it changes the direction that you have to point your controller (if you don't reset the camera). Yesterday I thought I'd play through a fight without resetting the controller just to see how bad it got. I started pointing the shoulder buttons toward the horizon (same in-game), and in less than 20 seconds I was pointing the shoulder buttons somewhere behind me just to keep the camera toward the horizon.

They really screwed up the gyro aiming.

Meanwhile, in Splatoon:

He's losing almost all those matches btw.
Better example of gyro insanity in this clip. Very controlled but more than just quick nudges of movement and jumps.
https://twitter.com/2_alternative/status/964066170834894848?s=09

Is there a reset button for gyro in Doom? I just had to keep in recentering manually.

Also is there an easy solution to their gyro scheme? I would like to see more people offer clear criticism so that maybe it will be looked at in future patches or games. I think it's awesome they added gyro and just because of fan demand. Unfortunately it's not great and I don't see many people calling it out as such. They're doing the opposing it seems, if you go by some youtubers like gamexplain.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Better example of gyro insanity in this clip. Very controlled but more than just quick nudges of movement and jumps.

Is there a reset button for gyro in Doom? I just had to keep in recentering manually.

Also is there an easy solution to their gyro scheme? I would like to see more people offer clear criticism so that maybe it will be looked at in future patches or games. I think it's awesome they added gyro and just because of fan demand. Unfortunately it's not great and I don't see many people calling it out as such. They're doing the opposing it seems, if you go by some youtubers like gamexplain.
That footage is ridiculous. I'd been trying to flick with a sniper the other day and had a lot of trouble doing it. That guy shows a skill ceiling that at least defends itself against mouse and keyboard.

I don't know what the problem is with DOOM and BotW that cause the gyro to drift the way it does (while it doesn't in Splatoon), so I can't speak to that. But at the very least, having higher gyro sensitivity would help a lot, because it would minimize the physical movements on the actual controller, which means less drift overall on top of allowing a wider range of aiming that doesn't require the right stick.

Koenig

The Architect
I wonder if having multiple gyro scopes and taking an average might stabilize them a bit? Gyroscope drift has been a major problem in every game I have played with them with the lone exception of those that used the IR sensor to anchor the the gyroscope. Games like Zelda more or less got away from the problem by simply limiting the aiming to short bursts, but any game that requires a cursor for extended periods of time need either a new anchor to stabilize the gyroscope or a button dedicated to resetting it.

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

Press in the left stick and it will recenter. I use it all the time.

I am enjoying what I can with with gyro on Doom but it is absolutely nowhere near Splatoon. I'm still having fun with Doom multiplayer but I honestly feel like Splatoon is far superior as a multiplayer shooter. Mostly my matches in Doom boil down to who has more armor at that moment. I know it will get more involved later but it just doesn't captivate me like Splatoon does.

I also have to play this on the big screen to be effective at all. I think it has to do with the whole eye-hand coordination of a larger space makes me move my hands further than on a small screen.

Freeze tag is kind of fun. Until you are stuck there for 4 minutes.

So far I'm enjoying the main game more than multiplayer but even the main game feels a bit samey at times. Go around, find big room, kills waves of baddies, press button, another wave shows up, repeat.

I do have to say, it is helping my movement skills when I go over to Splatoon. My dualie game is on point now!

Press in the left stick and it will recenter. I use it all the time.

I am enjoying what I can with with gyro on Doom but it is absolutely nowhere near Splatoon. I'm still having fun with Doom multiplayer but I honestly feel like Splatoon is far superior as a multiplayer shooter. Mostly my matches in Doom boil down to who has more armor at that moment. I know it will get more involved later but it just doesn't captivate me like Splatoon does.

I also have to play this on the big screen to be effective at all. I think it has to do with the whole eye-hand coordination of a larger space makes me move my hands further than on a small screen.

So far I'm enjoying the main game more than multiplayer but even the main game feels a bit samey at times. Go around, find big room, kills waves of baddies, press button, another wave shows up, repeat.

I do have to say, it is helping my movement skills when I go over to Splatoon. My dualie game is on point now!
wow thanks, that has made this a chunk better. Still not ideal, but much more manageable

GaemzDood

I just did some brief thinking and realized, do you know what would really benefit DOOM on Switch? An option to unlock the framerate with v-sync disengaged. The framerate was already significantly improved in the latest patch, so methinks there's enough headroom to unlock it. Yes, there would be constant screen tearing and massive performance fluctuations, but Titanfall on Xbox 360 did the same thing, and not only is the average framerate 46 FPS, but on average, people (and by people, I mean an EA survey that the developer told Digital Foundry about in an interview) preferred it with the framerate cap removed.

Panic Button, if you're reading this, do it. Offer an option to unlock performance.

GaemzDood

Any improvement to framerate would be huge. I'd honestly prefer the game to run at 480p if it meant a constant 60 fps.
Didn't the latest patch solve a majority of framerate issues? I'm sure there's enough headroom to uncap the framerate with v-sync off now.

Also, if you pixel count the screenshot I posted of the pre-patch version, it was running somewhere below 480p. That said, it looks like the new patch brings it much closer to 720p (which sounds funny taken out of context in 2018).

Goodtwin

Didn't the latest patch solve a majority of framerate issues? I'm sure there's enough headroom to uncap the framerate with v-sync off now.

Also, if you pixel count the screenshot I posted of the pre-patch version, it was running somewhere below 480p. That said, it looks like the new patch brings it much closer to 720p (which sounds funny taken out of context in 2018).
Yes, it is much improved. You have to remember Jueg didn't play Doom on Switch prior to the latest patch. Jueg has also played Doom extensively on PC where it was better looking, way higher resolution, and 60fps. A head to head comparison would make the compromises stand out big time, but I have only played it on Switch, so for me the game plays great, and the latest patch improved it big time.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
It would be interesting if Panic Button decided to make a 60fps preset where it does whatever it takes to make the game run at 60fps. The issue with that though is I think it would take more than a simple reduction in resolution. Paring back more details, textures and shadows, and who knows what else. Not saying it's impossible, but I think it would be preferable to just work on making the game a more locked, and consistent 30fps.

I have no doubt though Panic Button are using their newfound knowledge of Doom, and using that as a basis for Wolfenstein 2. Having played both games on PS4, Wolfenstein 2 is going to be a very interesting example of what is truly possible on this little system.

I'm considering on getting a Switch next month, so we'll see how that plays out. I first want to finish XCX, and then I have a few games to sell off as well. Only then, will I get one.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Mostly my matches in Doom boil down to who has more armor at that moment. I know it will get more involved later but it just doesn't captivate me like Splatoon does.
Weeeeeelllllll...not exactly.

It's an arena shooter with maze-like, Swiss cheese-y style maps. Death is always just around the corner. That's par for the course with this style of shooter. You will learn map layouts and memorize where health and armor is, but that's about as far as strategy goes.
Freeze tag is my new religion. For me, DOOM online is essential, just for this mode.
I'm considering on getting a Switch next month, so we'll see how that plays out. I first want to finish XCX, and then I have a few games to sell off as well. Only then, will I get one.
I hope you don't like free time. Between this, ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Rocket League, your time will no longer be your own.

GaemzDood

It would be interesting if Panic Button decided to make a 60fps preset where it does whatever it takes to make the game run at 60fps. The issue with that though is I think it would take more than a simple reduction in resolution. Paring back more details, textures and shadows, and who knows what else. Not saying it's impossible, but I think it would be preferable to just work on making the game a more locked, and consistent 30fps.

I have no doubt though Panic Button are using their newfound knowledge of Doom, and using that as a basis for Wolfenstein 2. Having played both games on PS4, Wolfenstein 2 is going to be a very interesting example of what is truly possible on this little system.

A full on 60 FPS wouldn't really be possible without making Rage level cutbacks, but an uncapped framerate is definitely possible.

Buy XC2 and we'll see you next year

Shoulder

I hope you don't like free time. Between this, ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Rocket League, your time will no longer be your own.
Buy XC2 and we'll see you next year
XC2, DOOM, possibly Splatoon 2, and just maybe Rocket League are all on my list. Oh, and I cannot forget Mario Odyssey as well. Zelda I'll keep on Wii U, and have no intention on getting ARMS.

Koenig

The Architect
XC2, DOOM, possibly Splatoon 2, and just maybe Rocket League are all on my list. Oh, and I cannot forget Mario Odyssey as well. Zelda I'll keep on Wii U, and have no intention on getting ARMS.
Ill help organize that list for you. Mario Odyssey then Doom then Rocket League then Splatoon 2 then (Despite that you won't get them for switch) Zelda and ARMS then finally Xenoblade 2.

I think I may be bitter about XC2...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I popped in Black Ops 2 to feel the joy of IR aiming once again and boi, it's still good. I'm playing without any deadzones, which means that that camera is always moving a little bit. But it works, because when the cursor is near the center of the screen, camera speed is very low; it only reaches its maximum rotation speed when the cursor is at the edge of the screen. This means that I can play with a high camera speed without it affecting my aim for things that are in the center of the screen.

The aiming process, then, is basically this: keep the cursor near a corner or a window as I move, in case an enemy pops in; once I move past a corner or into a building, then I flick the wiimote to the side I want to see, which will make the cursor reach the edge of the screen and make the camera move quickly; I recenter my cursor and target any enemies that might be on screen. The tracking is amazing, flicking the mouse (edit: meant to say the cursor) is amazing, cursor positioning is amazing, it's just so good. The one drawback it has is that it does tire my wrist more than any other input method, but I would take it over DA+Gyro any day, no question.

Since I have all these games and equipment with me, I want to make a video comparing IR (Black Ops 2), Gyro (Splatoon), Gyro (DOOM), and Mouse (Overwatch) aiming.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
I popped in Black Ops 2 to feel the joy of IR aiming once again and boi, it's still good. I'm playing without any deadzones, which means that that camera is always moving a little bit. But it works, because when the cursor is near the center of the screen, camera speed is very low; it only reaches its maximum rotation speed when the cursor is at the edge of the screen. This means that I can play with a high camera speed without it affecting my aim for things that are in the center of the screen.

The aiming process, then, is basically this: keep the cursor near a corner or a window as I move, in case an enemy pops in; once I move past a corner or into a building, then I flick the wiimote to the side I want to see, which will make the cursor reach the edge of the screen and make the camera move quickly; I recenter my cursor and target any enemies that might be on screen. The tracking is amazing, flicking the mouse is amazing, cursor positioning is amazing, it's just so good. The one drawback it has is that it does tire my wrist more than any other input method, but I would take it over DA+Gyro any day, no question.

Since I have all these games and equipment with me, I want to make a video comparing IR (Black Ops 2), Gyro (Splatoon), Gyro (DOOM), and Mouse (Overwatch) aiming.
If you can, could you also grab Red Steel 2 and/or Pikmin 3 with wii controls; since they used the IR and Gyroscope in conjunction?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
If you can, could you also grab Red Steel 2 and/or Pikmin 3 with wii controls; since they used the IR and Gyroscope in conjunction?
I don't have them where I'm living, unfortunately. I remember Red Steel 2 also used that camera acceleration thing, though, which was awesome.

Edit: But I did remember that I have the Prime Trilogy on my Wii U digitally. My brother's projector and my standing speakers+receiver are finally together in the same living room, so there's never been a better time for me to replay the Prime games. I'll record some footage just for good measure.

GaemzDood

Yup. Your eyes don't deceive you. DOOM has improved since the patch.

So aside from a couple isolated incidents in Arcade Mode set to Nightmare, it's pretty much 30 FPS all the time. My argument in favor of adding an option for an uncapped framerate w/o v-sync holds more firm.

When you consider id Tech 6's CryEngine roots and just how bad Crytek games performed on 7th gen consoles (hell, 8th gen too), this is a massive step up.

Yup. Your eyes don't deceive you. DOOM has improved since the patch.

saying that gyro is a plus is LUDICROUS. I probably had the worst instance of drift I've ever seen in any game ever tonight. Basically couldnt turn my character.

Listen folks, I understand we all want to make gyro aiming a thing, thats a commendable goal, but we have to call out bullshit when we see it. Calling this busted setup "good" is BAD BAD BAD for progress.

Also the party system, on paper, is wonderful
but its still fucked.

Take this scenario. So we have a full party of 6 dudes ready to get online in a match. So it dumps us into a lobby. BUT WAIT, the lobby only has room for like 2 more people. What does the system do? Well it disbands the party and only the party leader gets to join the match. It wont start a new lobby when you bring in a full party, you just have to get lucky and join a game that has 6 slots open. Absolutely horrid, I dont know how you fuck this up. How does this get past testing? Did they assume "lol, like Nintendo fans will be able to fill up a party, lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"? Job well done, you accomplished fucking up something thats been solved since the Xbox days. Panic Button, I think its cool you got Doom running as well as it does on Switch, and when the online works its super fun, but the infrastructure is busted and you fucked up gyro. These are fucking bad. Congrats, you somehow screwed up online in a way that Nintendo still hasnt been able to.

So private matches will have to be the way to go if we do plan on getting together larger than 3-player groups. If those private matches dont fuck up and freeze your switch or lock you out from joining entirely.

Wew, its a mess, boys.

Shoulder

saying that gyro is a plus is LUDICROUS. I probably had the worst instance of drift I've ever seen in any game ever tonight. Basically couldnt turn my character.

Listen folks, I understand we all want to make gyro aiming a thing, thats a commendable goal, but we have to call out bullshit when we see it. Calling this busted setup "good" is BAD BAD BAD for progress.
So, are you suggesting then Gyro Aiming in DOOM is worse than simply using Dual Analog?

So, are you suggesting then Gyro Aiming in DOOM is worse than simply using Dual Analog?
When it makes the game unplayable in bursts, absolutely. When it works, it's not good but considering I still shift my controller subconsciously when it's off, I still prefer it over just DA alone.

Shoulder

When it makes the game unplayable in bursts, absolutely. When it works, it's not good but considering I still shift my controller subconsciously when it's off, I still prefer it over just DA alone.
Fair enough. I think that is what John in the video wa getting at also. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a step in the right direction, and given Panic Button's willingness to listen to fans, there's perhaps a possibility of the gyro aiming getting patched to be further improved/tweaked based on what gamers report.

It also may serve as a basis for Wolfenstein 2 when they launches later this year as I believe it will come with Gyro support from the get go.

EvilTw1n

I got to play...maybe two matches last night? One of soul harvester, one freeze tag. Yeesh.

When you choose the join-a-friend option, does that automatically put you in a party with them? If not, that's a workaround we can use (2-3 people make a party early, then the rest of us can join up as we go).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I've had to think about this a lot as I play the single player campaign. When gyro's good, you're aiming left and pulling effortless headshots, and life is good. But when it starts to drift, you actually have to put in work just to keep the camera from moving, and at that point you're basically playing a higher stress version of Dual Analog controls.

Gyros are great, Splatoon has left me no doubt about that. But DOOM's highs and lows average out just somewhere above regular DA, but more stressful.

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
I've had to think about this a lot as I play the single player campaign. When gyro's good, you're aiming left and pulling effortless headshots, and life is good. But when it starts to drift, you actually have to put in work just to keep the camera from moving, and at that point you're basically playing a higher stress version of Dual Analog controls.

Gyros are great, Splatoon has left me no doubt about that. But DOOM's highs and lows average out just somewhere above regular DA, but more stressful.
And the last thing I want at the end of the day is unnecessary stress. I want to like this game but after about 30 minutes online drift goes haywire.

Goodtwin

I remember seeing Panic Button saying somewhere that they were happy with DOOM's sales. Am I right?
I haven't seen that, but it is rare for the porting developer to comment on sales. They typically defer to the publisher for anything related to PR.

I would have to think Bethesda is satisfied with Dooms sales. If you check inventory for the game on Best Buys website, most stores show either no stock left or limited stock. Doom isn't having trouble selling its innitial stock, and that's a great thing. Think of how long it took many third party games on Wii U to sell off, and after bargain bin discounts. Doom isn't a huge seller on other consoles either. Selling even 500k on Switch would be very respectable.

Goodtwin

It is sad, but after seeing the innitial multiplayer trailer for devils third, I was convinced it was going to be a cult classic. Unfortunately the tech was terrible, and the gameplay unrefined. Could have been great, but instead was garbage.

EvilTw1n

Bumping because I'm back in the game due to some memory card gifting.

I had forgotten how awesome this is. It's held back by the multiplayer's matchmaking (I'm not even talking about partying up; it still has trouble keeping a lobby up between finished matches to get you into the next match), so it's never going to be back into heavy rotation for us. But still...maybe the patch did really do some stabilization for online.

Getting a crappy host is always gonna screw things up, but it's been pretty damn stable for me lately in-match. (Testing the game offline on Nightmare is probably not indicative of what you're gonna get into online.)
I haven't seen that, but it is rare for the porting developer to comment on sales. They typically defer to the publisher for anything related to PR.
I've looked around for figures, but it's all quoting VGC stuff. They have LTD at 340K, which is...optimistic?

Goodtwin

Selling 340k would be decent. It did have Christmas to boost it up, so its possible. Being real, selling the worst version of your game a for full price when its in the bargain bin on other consoles isn't likely to net the highest adoption rate, but may have netted the best possible return on investment. If digital sales were strong, and I think they were, that is great for profitability. If even 25k were sold digitally, that is 1.5 million dollars. Doom has made millions on Switch, even with less than mind blowing sales figures.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It only took me about half a year, but I finally beat DOOM on Switch. I also reinstalled it on PC and wow, the difference is staggering. I can't even run it well, because my rig has a ton of problems stemming from an old-ish graphics card and a CPU that isn't working properly with my motherboard, so I only get about 40 fps most of the time. But aiming with mouse and keyboard makes such a staggering difference, even compared to gyroscope aiming. Suddenly I can use weapons like the Plasma Rifle and the Assault Rifle effectively, as it's much easier to track my enemies and land my shots. Weapons like the Rocket Launcher are straight up busted with how easy it is to land the shots. Scoped Railgun shots are no problem, and flicking the Super Shotgun to an enemy that is right in front of me is easy and satisfying.

Playing with gyroscope aiming makes me feel like I'm drunk; Dual Analog makes me feel like my whole arm is numb. I'm sure IR aiming would be a massive improvement over gyros. Granted, half the problem with gyro aiming in this game is the low aim sensitivity, but the other half is the fact that flicking and tracking with hitscan weapons is practically a mouse-only affair.

Goodtwin

I really feel like Bethesda's support has more to do with them having a soft sport in their heart rather than big returns on investment. I do not doubt that Skyrim SE did rather well, but I have my doubts about both Doom and Wolfentein 2 setting the worth on fire. My personal guess is that Doom failed to sell 500k, and W2 probably 250k or less. With that out of the way, Doom Eternal is still announced for Switch. This will be the toughest port so far for Panic Button, but it does seem that this time ID and Panic Button will be working together more intimately. The goal of releasing Doom Eternal on Switch at the same time as the PS4/X1/PC is a game changer. Panic Button has continued to perfect their craft on Switch, quickly becoming the most proficient Third Party Port House for the platform. W2 made some pretty serious compromises to maintain a stable 30fps, and in portable mode can often drop as low as 360p, but the overall level of optimization has made long strides from the initial release of Doom on Switch. Panic Button is going to continue to squeeze and dig deep, looking for optimizations that aren't in the tenths of a second, but hundredths or even thousands of a second.

Bethesda has made mention that Doom Eternal is being developed with Switch in mind as a platform, so ideally this means they will avoid scenarious that would be extra problematic for the Switch port, but from the looks of it, Doom Eternal will again be one of the best looking games on PS4/X1, so it doesn't look like they are holding back.

Doom was the surprise game of this generation for me. With Wii U, Bayonetta 1+2 was the surprise, and were the best game(s) on the platform, and not by a little. Doom has been that for me on Switch. I thought I would like it, but didn't know I would love it. I am jacked about Doom Eternal. Other than Bayonetta 3, Doom Eternal may be my most anticipated game right now. Prime 4 is up there too, but I have my reservations with it being developed by an entirely new team.

EvilTw1n

So we're still changing the site to DOOM Enthusiast yeah?
DOOM with a grapple chain isn't something I knew that I needed in my life until I saw it.

But geez, whew. That's a lot. I messed up when I played on Switch, because I was trying to marathon through it, and there's just too much damn action constantly happening. Trying to embed, since it's all just links now:

I don't think I'll be able to play this for longer than 30 minutes without taking a break.
I really feel like Bethesda's support has more to do with them having a soft sport in their heart rather than big returns on investment. I do not doubt that Skyrim SE did rather well, but I have my doubts about both Doom and Wolfentein 2 setting the worth on fire. My personal guess is that Doom failed to sell 500k, and W2 probably 250k or less. With that out of the way, Doom Eternal is still announced for Switch. This will be the toughest port so far for Panic Button, but it does seem that this time ID and Panic Button will be working together more intimately. The goal of releasing Doom Eternal on Switch at the same time as the PS4/X1/PC is a game changer. Panic Button has continued to perfect their craft on Switch, quickly becoming the most proficient Third Party Port House for the platform. W2 made some pretty serious compromises to maintain a stable 30fps, and in portable mode can often drop as low as 360p, but the overall level of optimization has made long strides from the initial release of Doom on Switch. Panic Button is going to continue to squeeze and dig deep, looking for optimizations that aren't in the tenths of a second, but hundredths or even thousands of a second.

Bethesda has made mention that Doom Eternal is being developed with Switch in mind as a platform, so ideally this means they will avoid scenarious that would be extra problematic for the Switch port, but from the looks of it, Doom Eternal will again be one of the best looking games on PS4/X1, so it doesn't look like they are holding back.

Doom was the surprise game of this generation for me. With Wii U, Bayonetta 1+2 was the surprise, and were the best game(s) on the platform, and not by a little. Doom has been that for me on Switch. I thought I would like it, but didn't know I would love it. I am jacked about Doom Eternal. Other than Bayonetta 3, Doom Eternal may be my most anticipated game right now. Prime 4 is up there too, but I have my reservations with it being developed by an entirely new team.
I think Bethesda has, for the first time in a looooooooong time with any publisher working with Nintendo, taken a long view of releasing their games on the hardware (although Ubi probably deserves a bit more credit for sticking it out with some Wii U releases). I think they understand that not everything they put out is gonna sell through the roof, or even close to it. Because we live in the age of scalable engines*, they can put out something that is profitable, though, reach a different audience, and hopefully grow it over time. This seems like a console generation-long project for Bethesda; they seem willing to put in the work.

I'll reward 'em. I'll buy DOOM Eternal on day one.

...even though I didn't buy Wolfenstein.

[*How nuts is it that id Tech 7 will already be working on Switch, years after we heard "well sure, UE4 runs on everything from your phone to your PC rig - except for the Wii U, of course.]

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm at a point in my gaming career where I think, "I'll obviously be buying two copies of Doom Eternal, yes. There's is no doubt that I need to play it on my rig, that goes without saying. And I won't entertain the idea of missing out on multiplayer with my friends - that would be absurd."

I'm being completely logical, am I not?

Goodtwin

Because we live in the age of scalable engines*, they can put out something that is profitable, though, reach a different audience, and hopefully grow it over time. This seems like a console generation-long project for Bethesda; they seem willing to put in the work.
Yes, I 100% agree. I think from very early on Bethesda decided that Switch was a platform they wanted to support, even if they didn't have an audience tied to Nintendo hardware. They have decided to cultivate an audience on Switch, and continued to create that audience with many releases. Even if the audience on Switch remains niche by comparison, if they can gain even 500k new life long fans, that will pay off for years to come. Switch is a hugely successful platform, and many Switch users also own a PS4 or X1. As we have seen with all the remasters, players will rebuy games. Old ports have done rather well on Switch, I think this has a lot to do with PS/Xbox gamers embracing the ability to play some of their favorite games on the go. Skyrim SE has done remarkably well on Switch, by far Bethesdas biggest success on Switch, and this is a very old game at this point. Wolfenstein 2 probably sold pretty modest numbers, but then again the game didn't set the world on fire on PS4 or X1 either. Expectations were likely tempered, but that didn't stop them from bring the game to Switch. I have become a Bethesda fan, and Doom Eternal is a day one for me. I may be like Juegos though, and eventually buy it twice. I would really like to play Doom at 1080p 60fps, but there is no way I am not supporting the Switch build, day one for sure.

EvilTw1n

I'm at a point in my gaming career where I think, "I'll obviously be buying two copies of Doom Eternal, yes. There's is no doubt that I need to play it on my rig, that goes without saying. And I won't entertain the idea of missing out on multiplayer with my friends - that would be absurd."

I'm being completely logical, am I not?
Yup. It's the same reason I'm considering buying freaking MH twice. I'm missing out on multi with my friends, and for some experiences, that's more important than anything else.
Yes, I 100% agree. I think from very early on Bethesda decided that Switch was a platform they wanted to support, even if they didn't have an audience tied to Nintendo hardware. They have decided to cultivate an audience on Switch, and continued to create that audience with many releases. Even if the audience on Switch remains niche by comparison, if they can gain even 500k new life long fans, that will pay off for years to come. Switch is a hugely successful platform, and many Switch users also own a PS4 or X1. As we have seen with all the remasters, players will rebuy games. Old ports have done rather well on Switch, I think this has a lot to do with PS/Xbox gamers embracing the ability to play some of their favorite games on the go. Skyrim SE has done remarkably well on Switch, by far Bethesdas biggest success on Switch, and this is a very old game at this point. Wolfenstein 2 probably sold pretty modest numbers, but then again the game didn't set the world on fire on PS4 or X1 either. Expectations were likely tempered, but that didn't stop them from bring the game to Switch. I have become a Bethesda fan, and Doom Eternal is a day one for me. I may be like Juegos though, and eventually buy it twice. I would really like to play Doom at 1080p 60fps, but there is no way I am not supporting the Switch build, day one for sure.
Some people will re-buy ports on PS4 or XBone for the slightly higher fidelity, but Switch gives everyone a very different reason ("hey, I can just put this in my duffel for the weekend, or take it along on a train, or put it on my suitcase to go on vacation"). I've seen so many kids playing Switch at Target or the grocery store - kids used to want to stay in the car to listen to the radio, but now they can play DOOM or something else. You get 500K loyal new fans for the price of paying Panic Button to port something in 4 or 5 months? That's more than worth it.

And it's mutually beneficial for everyone. Nintendo gets to keep making their style of games. Bethesda fills in the console's portfolio for the sorts of third-party games you get on other consoles. Everyone wins. I don't know which side made the initial approach on this business venture, but they made a brilliant decision.